Awoo.

Sonic 4 Legacy

BaronGrackle

12 minutes ago, BaronGrackle said:

It's been explained to me that stuff like that doesn't matter, with Knuckles Chaotix as an example.

There is a difference... you may consider Knuckles Chaotix as canon or not canon, it has absolutely no impact on the series, the Chaotix are introduced as friends of Sonic after the events of Sonic Heroes, Knuckles Chaotix is ininfluent.

The reason why Cream and Sonic are friends and even know each other, is due to the events of Sonic Advance 2. If Cream wasn't kidnapped, and especially if Sonic didn't rescue her mother, probably they would have never meet. The two already know each other in the subsequent games, implying that they have already met in a different game, that's the game of Cream's debut, an implicit reference to Sonic Advance 2.

21 minutes ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

...whatever, I don't care. I never treat a game as un-cannon, unless there are very, very strong continuity problems or creators themselves say that (and even then, I sometimes make an exception).

But do what you want, I don't care. It seems counterproductive, but whatever.

I agree, it only adds controversy and contributes in splitting the fanbase even more and fight for the different visions of the franchise, something that is slowly destroying the series more than Sonic Team itself.

Didn't AAUK make a list? I know the canon is very loose and vague, but in terms of what Sonic Team thinks about...

I mean, Amy and Big could've met Cream anywhere.

5 hours ago, BaronGrackle said:

It's been explained to me that stuff like that doesn't matter, with Knuckles Chaotix as an example.

That doesn't matter in that specific instance. Advance 2 introduces Cream and her initial interactions with Sonic that later games, including a main series title that came out just a couple years later, just sorta roll with. Advance 2 was also made, at least nominally, under Sonic Team's supervision.

Chaotix introduces characters into the series that Iizuka thought looked cool 9 years later when he was running the franchise the first time and then introduced again; and was originally developed by a bunch of ex-Sonic CD and Master System staff in Japan while "Sonic Team" (meaning most of the development staff of the original trilogy who were ultimately the real shepherds of the franchise, including Iizuka himself) was finishing Sonic 3 in North America.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Chuckle 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 27/02/2018 at 4:24 PM, BaronGrackle said:

Didn't AAUK make a list? 

On 27/02/2018 at 5:04 PM, MetalSkulkBane said:

Who?

*shrugs* Dunno.

• Thumbs Up 1

That doesn't matter in that specific instance. Advance 2 introduces Cream and her initial interactions with Sonic that later games, including a main series title that came out just a couple years later, just sorta roll with.

But that's not true. In Sonic Heroes i may be that Amy and Big know Cream from somewhere, but Sonic/Tails/Knuckles don't indicate that they know her any more than they know the Chaotix.

On 2/26/2018 at 12:48 PM, Mayor D said:

Really? I think the critics are spot on with it.

The main issue with Sonic 4 is it's title. If it were called 'Sonic the Hedgehog Mobile' or it's SONIC DL title, people probably wouldn't rage as much.

Spot on for sure. The fact that they slapped the "4" onto the game ruined it for me. The legacy is it was just an ok game that tried to use a misleading title. Doesn't have the it factor that Sonic Mania does.

Ever since Sonic Mania was proven a success I have this crazy fantasy that the next game this team makes is not Sonic Mania 2, but rather Sonic 5. It would start with a screenshot of Death Egg Mk. II still holding Little Planet in the Sonic 4 Ep. II visual style, then it would go pixelated and you'd see the Death Egg exploding and crumbling, freeing Little Planet. The game will then proceed with a brand new scheme by Eggman and absolutely zero reused levels or plot points. Then it becomes a consistent series with the next game being Dreamcast level graphics but still 2D (kinda like the recently announced Megaman 11) in the same way Mania is Saturn level graphics.

On 21. 3. 2018 at 3:24 AM, BaronGrackle said:

But that's not true. In Sonic Heroes i may be that Amy and Big know Cream from somewhere, but Sonic/Tails/Knuckles don't indicate that they know her any more than they know the Chaotix.

In fact, Sonic Heroes was meant to be first game featuring Cream and Sonic 06 first game featuring Blaze, so... 

On ‎26‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 10:52 PM, JezMM said:

Sochi also had a re-arranagement of White Park Act 2, but I believe that's the last time Sonic 4 has had any major reference (obviously there's a nod to Splash Hill in Forces which I'm sure is intentional, but still, just a nod).

I was reminded today about another pretty significant and relatively recent reference to Sonic 4. The Lego Dimensions Sonic Pack (late 2016) featured a whole area based in Lost Labyrinth. How’d I not think of that last time? Granted, Dimensions isn’t on the whole a Sonic game, but SEGA would’ve obviously needed to give the green light to that stage, no doubt.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Fist Bump 1

Honestly, I don’t think Sonic 4 is that bad at all. I think people kind of exaggerate its awfulness. It’s a decent little game in its own right. It doesn’t feel anything like the classics, but then again neither does Donkey Kong Country Returns. I don’t think games necessarily have to be a 1:1 copy of their predecessors to succeed. 

The problem is really that the classics just feel better to play. But that doesn’t make Sonic 4 inherently bad. Rehashed stages and boosters aside, I enjoyed both episodes for what they were. Though my enjoyment of them has lessened as time has gone on, and I’d gladly play Mania 100 times over before I go back to Sonic 4; I was disappointed there wasn’t an episode 3.

I’m still totally on board with another 2d side scroller that features the modern cast that has a different feel to the classics. It’s partly why I love the Advance games and Rush so much. Big shame they decided to call the game Sonic 4. Had they went with another title, this game would just be kind of a forgotten little treat people might remember a bit more fondly. Kind of like the game gear titles, in a way.

• Thumbs Up 2

I was a contributor to the backlash of Sonic 4. We stuck it out against hordes of people and reviewers who ridiculed us for "nitpicking" and hating on green eyes.

Well, as fate would have it, we took down this poor excuse for a sequel, got Classic Sonic back, and then a new classic Sonic game that we actually wanted. Did we get rehashed stages again?.... Well... Yes. But we got some original ones in the process and a new special stages.

That said.. I did enjoy Sonic 4 somewhat. I hate that they chose Sonic 4 of all names to give it. Because otherwise, it could have been a cool little successor to Sonic Advance. And we might have actually seen an episode 3.

But now we have Mania, and Mania Adventures, so I don't really miss Sonic 4 like at all. :P I feel like we finally split the franchise into Modern and Classic like it should have back after Generations. Instead of going through that Boom phase..

Ah, Sonic 4. Tried to play you again recently. You have not aged well.

• Thumbs Up 2

42 minutes ago, Rock-DJ said:

I feel like we finally split the franchise into Modern and Classic like it should have back after Generations.

So it's your fault!