Awoo.

Disney's Wreck-It Ralph 2

DaddlerTheDalek

This trailer confirms to me what i thought from the beginning. This movie treds on the edge of a blade: for now it's fine, but just a little misstep and it will fall into the cringe territory where movies like 45% of the Dreamworks catalogue, Quest for Camelot or Norm of the North resides. Let's not forget what was shown also in the previous trailers.
Like, i really wanna hope product placements like Snapchat, Musical.ly, or similar will be just background cameos, i don't want the garbage apps of the latest generations to infest a Disney movie, otherwise it's gonna be the Emoji movie 2.0.

I'll remain cautiously optimistic for the moment.

• Thumbs Up 1

This is going to be fun. I mean princesses scene looks already hilarious!

I REALLY don't see the issue with a lot of focus on the internet versus some Disney cameos. It's called Ralph BREAKS THE INTERNET.

The first movie wasn't great because of the cameos. It was great because of a fun story set in a crazy awesome world with likeable original characters and heart. The cameos were the cherry on top. The sequel is expanding upon that world and those characters with a new theme. OF COURSE there's gonna be a lot of obvious internet jokes. There were a lot of obvious GAMING jokes in the first one. (Or did you think including the Konami code was the most clever thing in the world?)

To tell you the truth, neither trailer has done much for me either, but here's the thing: both trailers have consisted of very little actual plot and almost entirely on gags and glamor shots of the world.

My favorite thing about the first movie is the main friendship and I can tell you that the most interesting part of the latest trailer for me was the fact that Vanellope was sleeping in Ralph's dump. With the plot centering around finding a part to fix Sugar Rush (Which I assume is why they're at Ebay in the previous trailer), I'm assuming it must be quite the important one to not only oust Vanellope but get Ralph to go somewhere he doesn't fully understand. Combine that with their previously discussed different views of the new world they're in and I'm very interested to see what becomes the primary conflict here and what exactly impedes them on the way to accomplish their goal. There's a lot more to a movie than jokes.

8 hours ago, Dark Rider CC14 said:

I REALLY don't see the issue with a lot of focus on the internet versus some Disney cameos. It's called Ralph BREAKS THE INTERNET.

I think it's rather telling though, how it's beginning to look like there'd be more fun potential in an outright Disney properties crossover than a typical internet flick. 

I mean, I like the overall trailer,  but it's a common tactic to sometimes showcase the best parts of a movie when all else won't hold a candle. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Much like the teaser, the trailer lacks in plot. We haven't got a clue what the plot is, and it so far just seems like a bunch of jokes and gags. There's Vanellope in Ralph's dump, and someone in the internet world showing interest in Ralph... That's it.

I found the whole Disney part to be cool, but... There isn't much outside of that. Except for me wondering why some Storm Troopers are chasing Vanellope.

daft punk music was a nice surprise :3

• Thumbs Up 3

Wow, what a great trailer. I clapped when I saw all the familiar brands, such as Amazon™, Google™, Twitter™, Snapchat™, Marvel™, and Pixar™. I also clapped when I saw Stormtroopers™, which I recognize from Star Wars™. Be sure to see Solo: A Star Wars Story™, in theaters now!

This is looking to be the greatest film since Ready Player One and The Emoji Movie! Bravo Disney™!

Spoiler

Real talk, not a fan. "let's make a sequel to a cute movie celebrating classic vidya, except we'll just shove all of our properties in there instead. Look! Star Wars! We own that now! And Marvel! We own that too! And look, all the Disney princesses! LOL! Aren't we great?"

I'm so fucking tired of Disney and these giant THINGS I KNOW crossovers.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Chuckle 5
  • Way Past Cool 1

I see what you @Ryannumber1gamer mean when you compare the trailers, honestly. I hope the idea is that Vanellope learns stuff about being a leader from the Princesses or something, that could be interesting. Hell I don't even mind the internet jokes too much, they're not groundbreaking or anything but it's not full on HOW DO YOU DO FELLOW KIDS? by my standards, they seem to understand this stuff at least. I'll defend the cat pictures joke in particular because cute pictures of animals are timeless.

Other than that I'm...not sure how to feel? Not exactly excited to see the film, but maybe it'll surprise me whenever I get around to seeing it.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Celestia said:

I see what you @Ryannumber1gamer mean when you compare the trailers, honestly. I hope the idea is that Vanellope learns stuff about being a leader from the Princesses or something, that could be interesting. Hell I don't even mind the internet jokes too much, they're not groundbreaking or anything but it's not full on HOW DO YOU DO FELLOW KIDS? by my standards, they seem to understand this stuff at least. I'll defend the cat pictures joke in particular because cute pictures of animals are timeless.

Other than that I'm...not sure how to feel? Not exactly excited to see the film, but maybe it'll surprise me whenever I get around to seeing it.

I think I realized this is the key thing that's worrying me. Like, WIR 1 is by far my favourite Disney movie, I love the cast in it, but even I admit, while I was charmed by the world and references, it's not like there was moments where I was just absolutely laugh-out-loud laughing at the jokes or anything. I loved the story and characters, as well as the overall message and development. 

If anything is worrying me now, it's probably the story bit I discovered above.

• Thumbs Up 1

Here's something I've noticed (Not sure if someone brought attention to this yet in this topic).

Kate Higgins, who voiced Tails during 2010-2013 will voice Aurora in this movie. Actually she still voice Wave in the Sonic series.

I fell there's something more in all this... Or maybe it's just a dumb curious fact.

Oh, also seeing the Wikipedia's page I saw there's some Star Wars character on it and some Disney princess (Which I already was alerted today's earlier), including Mulan (I think she is the only Disney "princess" movie I watch, and I've really appreciate).

Now my hype with this movie which was nearer to 0, almost asking myself if it worth the see, passed to something really high. I don't think I ever became that low hope and got to this hype ever.

Going to see some trailer I lost (I just have saw only one trailer, much like the first I think).

Kinda feel like that princess joke falls a bit short when it ignores how Vanellope did get help from Ralph (who is a big strong guy) to help fix a part of her life that she otherwise would have not been able to. Granted I get that it light be a joke about agency for princess characters being like that in general and in most cases it’s usually related to romantic relationships, whereas Ralph and Vanellope is more older brother/younger sister, but yeah.

• Thumbs Up 1

I said before that I think this movie is using a unique advantage it has - the most iconic characters in the world being front and center - to get asses in seats without really having to explain the plot at all. There's probably a left hook to this movie that most wont see coming. It might even double back into video games.

• Thumbs Up 1

@Josh

That would be nice, though it's quite a gamble. Perhaps it could be seen as a unique reversal of the first film's advertisement:

It was hyped up as though Ralph would travel to various different games, and the Hero's Duty scene was highly anticipated. Then the movie comes and Hero's Duty is around for a few minutes, and the majority of the plot takes place in Sugar Rush.

So perhaps all the internut $W&G and Disney references will be out of the way early and the next act will have it's facade melt off and give a much greater danger to the entire arcade. Ralph and Vellenope could get abducted, as consequence for their gullibility, and Felix and Calhoun can step in and bring a search party of game characters to rescue them.

There's got to be more to adding Wi-Fi to the abandoned arcade than just regain it's fanbase.

• Thumbs Up 3

8 hours ago, Ivo the Coldsteel said:

Wow, what a great trailer. I clapped when I saw all the familiar brands, such as Amazon™, Google™, Twitter™, Snapchat™, Marvel™, and Pixar™. I also clapped when I saw Stormtroopers™, which I recognize from Star Wars™. Be sure to see Solo: A Star Wars Story™, in theaters now!

This is looking to be the greatest film since Ready Player One and The Emoji Movie! Bravo Disney™!

Hide contents

Real talk, not a fan. "let's make a sequel to a cute movie celebrating classic vidya, except we'll just shove all of our properties in there instead. Look! Star Wars! We own that now! And Marvel! We own that too! And look, all the Disney princesses! LOL! Aren't we great?"

I'm so fucking tired of Disney and these giant THINGS I KNOW crossovers.

Don't forget there's still time for Disney to add Internet TM  to its collection before this comes out. 

As someone who found the original uninteresting and unfulfilled in potential, this film was on the backfoot for me before the trailer hit and frankly this shows zero signs that's going to change.  I mean, all brand power and cameos aside, what's the story we're dealing with here?  Like Ryan said, the plot is vague at best and while I get they'd want to keep it under wraps with this one (assuming there really is something to hide) they could've at least thrown us a bone alongside "I understood that reference/cameo" scenery.

It was a good run for the most part, but I think this new renaissance is coming to an end.

• Thumbs Up 1

It's better than the first trailer.

Would be nice if the movie had a story though.

• Thumbs Up 3

It’s not gonna happen, but would have been an awesome subplot if Kairi was one of the princesses there, but is some snotty loner chick that doesn’t feel like the others cause she’s from a video game, to which Vaneloppe could relate and the two form a kind of friendship and she at the end ends up as an official princess or something.

• Way Past Cool 1

The princess bit was funny, especially enjoyed that Pocahontas's hair has constant wind blowing through it.

The rest though, well it felt like Disney was basically doing this with all those IP's shown:

NSFW

Spoiler

116.gif

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Chuckle 3

Dunno what you guys feel, but I kinda feel like that Wreck it Ralph going to the internet could have probably been the last story of the Wreck it Ralph franchise, or at least the last story's sequel hook for a new film series or something.

Like it could basically become the Video game version of Toy Story 3 meets Captain America: Civil War, where the arcade ends up in danger of closing because of Litwak either not being able to sustain the arcade anymore due to becoming too old or dying (and being replaced by people who don't care for the arcades), with everyone having to face the harsh reality that they cannot stay anymore.

A huge chunk of the conflict would be between the characters convinced they should do everything they can to keep the arcade going, even going so far as to suggest letting the human world know they exist despite the potential risks involved with letting humans know they are sentient. On the opposing side, there are those who believe they need to accept the idea that everything comes to an end, that they were ultimately living on borrowed time.

This ends up causing serious tensions that cause some characters to start baiting and sabotaging each other, because some believe the other side is taking dangerous risks that could permanently alter their lives as they know it (and not necessarily for the better), while the others believe the opposing side is full of cowards who would rather accept the total loss of their homes and their own deaths without a fight.

Then maybe throw in a subplot regarding one of the humans (maybe the Moppet Girl) having grown up, but she's having issues and is having trouble adjusting to some drastic changes in her life, leaving her trying to retreat from her troubles and return to a place she held fond nostalgia for; the arcade. There, the pro-arcade characters try to get her to help preserve the arcade at any costs, but does so by trying to manipulate her, something that doesn't help her mental state and also earns the ire of the accepting the end characters.

Things continue to go out of control until they take things too far, resulting in the entire arcade being damaged in such a way that it's now almost certain that the arcade will be closed down. Both sides will realize that they ultimately only made things worse through their overzealousness/passive acceptance of death, and they ultimately reconcile, choosing to accept that their time is over.

Fortunately for them, the Moppet Girl has been undergoing character development herself, having been influenced both by the characters who both manipulate and help her, and also speaking to the dying/aged Litwak, and is able to conclude that much like the arcade, she needed to keep moving forward in her life rather than clinging to the past. She also has the honor of being the only human (aside from maybe Litwak) to know that the game characters are living people, and is able to help them by moving their data into the internet, thus allowing them all to survive. Sadly, the Arcade is ultimately shutdown/replaced, but now the characters can keep on living in their new home; the Internet.

And then in a meta thing, Ralph and friends end up deciding to create a chronicle of their adventures, starting with the very first movie.

That (particularly the general idea of the ending) makes a lot of sense actually. A big thing about the internet is that it can "immortalize" even some of the most obscure stuff, as long as someone bothers to post about it somewhere.

It wouldn't even surprise me too much if that was actually the point of the movie. I mean anything's possible given they've been kinda vague about the plot so far.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Celestia said:

That (particularly the general idea of the ending) makes a lot of sense actually. A big thing about the internet is that it can "immortalize" even some of the most obscure stuff, as long as someone bothers to post about it somewhere.

It wouldn't even surprise me too much if that was actually the point of the movie. I mean anything's possible given they've been kinda vague about the plot so far.

Unless they do the Soma logic and it’s not the same Ralph and co should they get copied or”immortalized” on the web. 

• 1 month later...

I wanna see this more than the Sonic the Hedgehog movie.  I know the first Wreck-It Ralph movie was great and I hope the sequel will be great or better!

Well at least the game element is totally missing from this, that’s nice. And the Disney meta humor is still on point. Still cautious on it, but definitely looks fun 

• Thumbs Up 1