Awoo.

Disney's Wreck-It Ralph 2

DaddlerTheDalek

On September 20, 2018 at 6:15 PM, Ryannumber1gamer said:

I just realised something interesting, doesn't this mean Vanellope has technically gone turbo?

Her own game has been unplugged for the moment and when people were relying on her - as the princess - to get the part needed to fix it, she becomes obsessed with the internet - and more importantly: a grittier racing game that allows her to cause more destruction and such than her own home game. But more over, according to earlier info, it was said IIRC - the reason the owner of the arcade got the internet in the first place was to order the new replacement part for Sugar Rush. So hypothetically, it comes and it's repaired, and then Vanellope is nowhere to be seen because she's now left not only her kingdom behind, she left the very game behind that she's the main character for. We already saw what happened when Ralph did this in WIR, the only reason Vanellope got away with it in the first game was solely because King Candy forcefully disconnected her code and replaced it with his own, meaning the game would technically still operate, just with Candy replacing Vanellope.

Buuut, without Vanellope there, we could assume the same thing could happen to Sugar Rush since all of that code connected to Vanellope now has no Vanellope there and no one else to fulfil her role. Leading to something like this:

If Disney realizes this and is even intending it, I really think that could be a really interesting way to tie things back into the first movie, and more importantly - build on Ralph's character. This is his best friend. His first real friend, and now she's displaying signs of going turbo and trying to leave her own game to live in another one. And unlike Ralph in the first movie who always intended to return, he just wanted a metal first to prove he can be a good guy to everyone else, there would be actual cause for Vanellope to technically go turbo. She'd be like a parallel to Turbo in a sense.

The main character of a racing title that decided they were bored of their game and wanted more attention/bigger thrills/whatever else, so they forcefully broke into other games and decided on taking up resident there. If that tied into Ralph's insecurities, especially with the fears that Vanellope might end up as bad as Turbo was, that could be a really interesting direction to go IMO.

I really, REALLY like where this is going. Finally, I have a reason to be excited about this movie.

Although a part of me does wish that a Disney movie would actually have the main character not want to go back home to their friends/family and NOT portraying that as a bad thing. But I guess we'll have to wait longer for that kind of story.

That's not a knock against Wreck-It Ralph though. Just a trend I've been noticing in a lot of recent Disney/Pixar movies focusing on protagonists wanting to leave home. I think the only exceptions are if they return to their birthplace/family or get married into royalty. I think only Toy Story 3 has sort of done it? But even then it was Andy's choice to hand down his toys, the autonomy of the toys themselves didn't matter at all and they're still basically right where they started with a kid owner since Andy already grew up.

7 hours ago, Count Mario said:

I really, REALLY like where this is going. Finally, I have a reason to be excited about this movie.

Although a part of me does wish that a Disney movie would actually have the main character not want to go back home to their friends/family and NOT portraying that as a bad thing. But I guess we'll have to wait longer for that kind of story.

I wouldn't say that, because as opposed to the idea of a "Grass is always greener" story, it'd be more so that Vanellope has an entire kingdom that relies on her to be present, the same way the characters of Fix it Felix rely on Ralph and Felix to make the game operate and keep them plugged in as a result. However, we could also draw the idea that Vanellope could hold resentment or anger towards her kingdom after Sugar Rush gets shut down, keeping in mind that the person who broke the machine was playing as Vanellope, so it wouldn't surprise me if they went for a "it's all your fault" moment. Not to mention that aesthetically, Vanellope is pretty different compared to the rest of the cast who always act more "sweet" and such, while Vanellope is a tomboy and often times - troublemaker. You could make the argument that even if everyone in Sugar Rush shaped up, apologised, and befriended her, she would feel somewhat like an outcast compared to the others, we already know she loves action-filled racing and if the trailer is anything to go by, the additional violence and danger just boosts her love for the game more. 

Vanellope was bullied when she was thought of as a glitch, so when the machine is unplugged and she loses her kingdom, she might just cut her losses. She heads on the internet first at Ralph's insistence and then abandons Sugar Rush for Slaughter Race after falling in love with it. On top of what we can only assume - the internet trends woman or whoever is the villain - tries to further drive Ralph and Vanellope apart. We already know Vanellope's position and friendship with Ralph is going to be tested, especially with the other Disney princesses bringing it up and discussing it. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On September 22, 2018 at 3:37 PM, Ryannumber1gamer said:

I wouldn't say that, because as opposed to the idea of a "Grass is always greener" story, it'd be more so that Vanellope has an entire kingdom that relies on her to be present, the same way the characters of Fix it Felix rely on Ralph and Felix to make the game operate and keep them plugged in as a result. However, we could also draw the idea that Vanellope could hold resentment or anger towards her kingdom after Sugar Rush gets shut down, keeping in mind that the person who broke the machine was playing as Vanellope, so it wouldn't surprise me if they went for a "it's all your fault" moment. Not to mention that aesthetically, Vanellope is pretty different compared to the rest of the cast who always act more "sweet" and such, while Vanellope is a tomboy and often times - troublemaker. You could make the argument that even if everyone in Sugar Rush shaped up, apologised, and befriended her, she would feel somewhat like an outcast compared to the others, we already know she loves action-filled racing and if the trailer is anything to go by, the additional violence and danger just boosts her love for the game more. 

Vanellope was bullied when she was thought of as a glitch, so when the machine is unplugged and she loses her kingdom, she might just cut her losses. She heads on the internet first at Ralph's insistence and then abandons Sugar Rush for Slaughter Race after falling in love with it. On top of what we can only assume - the internet trends woman or whoever is the villain - tries to further drive Ralph and Vanellope apart. We already know Vanellope's position and friendship with Ralph is going to be tested, especially with the other Disney princesses bringing it up and discussing it. 

Wait, I'm sorry, I'm confused. What exactly are you arguing for? That Vanellope might have understandable reasons to leave Sugar Rush for Slaughter Race? I agree, but I never debated against that. Not sure what gave you that impression. I'm criticizing Disney's overall tendency for always making movies where the protagonist realizes the best place for them is home because they're obligated to their family or everything falls apart without them or whatever else is the big excuse. Which they can still easily do here even if Vanellope has good reasons for leaving, whether it's by making the protagonist realize their selfish or force them into an ultimatum that relies on them remedying their bond with their home/family. Or the new cool place is really super awful or whatever. As they did in Toy Story 2, Toy Story 3, and Coco. And sort of the first Wreck-It Ralph and Moana but they always intended to go back home with a status-quo change (not that those movies couldn't have subverted this either. 

Judging by Disney's usual patterns, no matter how good her reasons initially are, the plot would still find some way frame Vanellope wanting to stay in the internet as an irresponsible decision by the end of the movie even if she has very tempting reasons. Unless the film somehow ends with Vanellope being allowed to make either choice and not being a bad person for either decision. But then that would just make still going back to Sugar Rush the underwhelming safe potential-inhibiting ending instead of something more meaningful like staying in the internet and maintaining long-term distance with a now self-confident Ralph. Wreck-It Ralph 2's premise works fine on its own, I'm addressing the overall trend Disney's established and wondering why we can't have more dynamic developments.

But on the topic though... does Sugar Rush REALLY need Vanellope to be present? Or are we just assuming that based on the cliche that leadership roles are always super duper important and can't ever be changed? Yeah, the game's getting unplugged because the controller broke. But we're forgetting that Vanellope was missing for a while, presumably even whole years, from her game after being upstaged by Turbo and the game still worked fine. It's not even like King Candy turned Sugar Rush into a dystopia or anything, it's still relatively the same game. And I doubt Vanellope has some ace political skills or anything and is probably just a symbolic figurehead at best like a mascot character usually is. All we know for sure is that their game needs is to get fixed, not Vanellope specifically. And that would be a very different scenario from Fix-It Felix needing both its hero and antagonist to function as a game. If you knew you were an expendable part of a video game cast nobody noticed was gone and had the opportunity to be

Maybe they'll just ignore that and pull some sort of random reason to make Vanellope seem more important than we originally thought, like needing to lead them with spontaneous charisma out of nowhere to comfort them or making her powers relevant to saving them somehow or whatever. And I wouldn't have much of a problem with that. But it would be a good way to make her situation both similar and different from Ralph's enough to not just rehash the same morals and resolutions as the first film. And aside from solely this movie, again, all I want is more variety in Disney/Pixar films overall.

14 minutes ago, Count Mario said:

Wait, I'm sorry, I'm confused. What exactly are you arguing for? That Vanellope might have understandable reasons to leave Sugar Rush for Slaughter Race? I agree, but I never debated against that. Not sure what gave you that impression. I'm criticizing Disney's overall tendency for always making movies where the protagonist realizes the best place for them is home because they're obligated to their family or everything falls apart without them or whatever else is the big excuse. Which they can still easily do here even if Vanellope has good reasons for leaving, whether it's by making the protagonist realize their selfish or force them into an ultimatum that relies on them remedying their bond with their home/family. As they did in Toy Story 2, Coco, and the first film.  Which would still frame Vanellope wanting to stay in the internet as an irresponsible thing by the end of the movie even if she has very tempting reasons. Wreck-It Ralph 2's premise works fine on its own, I'm addressing the overall trend Disney's established and wondering why we can't have more dynamic developments.

But on the topic though... does Sugar Rush REALLY need Vanellope to be present? Yeah, the game's getting unplugged because the controller broke. But we're forgetting that Vanellope was missing for a while, presumably even whole years, from her game after being upstaged by Turbo and the game still worked fine. And I doubt Vanellope has some ace political skills or anything and is probably just a symbolic figurehead at best like a mascot character usually is. All we know for sure is that their game needs is to get fixed, not Vanellope specifically. And that would be a very different scenario from Fix-It Felix needing both its hero and antagonist to function as a game. If you knew you were an expendable part of a video game cast nobody noticed was gone and had the opportunity to be

Maybe they'll just ignore that and pull some sort of random reason to make Vanellope seem more important than we originally thought, like needing to lead them with spontaneous charisma out of nowhere to comfort them or making her powers relevant to saving them somehow or whatever. And I wouldn't have much of a problem with that. But it would be a good way to make her situation both similar and different from Ralph's enough to not just rehash the same morals and resolutions as the first film.

Because the point I was arguing for isn’t just another “leave home and doing so it’s bad” but more so people are relying and possibly could never see their home again if Vanellope doesn’t return, the consequences of her own actions extending far beyond her.

As I mentioned in my previous post, the reason Sugar Rush didn’t go crazy before was because Turbo forcefully entered and recoded the game  himself, stripping Vanellope of her code and memory. Said code was then added into Turbo’s King Candy and this forcefully rewrote the memories of the Sugar Rush cast, keeping in mind as soon as the code is fixed, they instantly remember Vanellope as the true ruler. So I’d argue the reason Sugar Rush operated so long without fault is despite the fact Vanellope wasn’t Queen, it had King Candy storing the code and using it. A key component was simply replaced instead of outright missing.

But more over - she’s probably one of the main characters of Sugar Rush if she’s the princess of the game, and the game won’t be able to recognise she vanished. If someone were to play it, it would likely give a weird blank spot on the machine during character select, followed by no character in the game itself and then the game going completely crazy to make sense of it. I don’t think it’s going to pull out a reason to up Vanellope’s importance as we already established abandoning a game could have dire consequences anyway, it wouldn’t really be needed because the first movie already established it with Ralph.

2 minutes ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

Because the point I was arguing for isn’t just another “leave home and doing so it’s bad” but more so people are relying and possibly could never see their home again if Vanellope doesn’t return, the consequences of her own actions extending far beyond her.

As I mentioned in my previous post, the reason Sugar Rush didn’t go crazy before was because Turbo forcefully entered and recoded the game  himself, stripping Vanellope of her code and memory. Said code was then added into Turbo’s King Candy and this forcefully rewrote the memories of the Sugar Rush cast, keeping in mind as soon as the code is fixed, they instantly remember Vanellope as the true ruler. So I’d argue the reason Sugar Rush operated so long without fault is despite the fact Vanellope wasn’t Queen, it had King Candy storing the code and using it. A key component was simply replaced instead of outright missing.

But more over - she’s probably one of the main characters of Sugar Rush if she’s the princess of the game, and the game won’t be able to recognise she vanished. If someone were to play it, it would likely give a weird blank spot on the machine during character select, followed by no character in the game itself and then the game going completely crazy to make sense of it. I don’t think it’s going to pull out a reason to up Vanellope’s importance as we already established abandoning a game could have dire consequences anyway, it wouldn’t really be needed because the first movie already established it with Ralph.

That... sure sounds a lot like Vanellope leaving home for good is the wrong decision. "Consequences of a character's own actions extending far beyond [him or] her" is literally what Disney/Pixar's been doing for the past several years, and technically even decades. You're drawing a line between whether the negative consequences affect the protagonist specifically or other characters, but I still argue they've very similar story structures. Story structures that end with the protagonist realizing they were a tool letting their naive selfish desires mess up the precious status-quo of home being where you belong. 

We're practically arguing over semantics at this point. I'm saying that this is pretty similar to, say, Frozen. Elsa needed to return to stop indirectly ruining other people's lives with her powers. And you're saying this totally isn't like Frozen because Vanellope might have better reasons to leave than Elsa did and her selfish satisfaction would make other people not able to return home. The specific details are different, but the overall character roles and  dynamics here are virtually the same. Not that these films don't have very different characters, and internal conflicts, but they both still have that resolution where balance is only restored if the protagonist comes back home and becomes happy about it so there aren't any regrets to taint the happy ending. Like we've seen in several other Disney/Pixar films. All I'm asking for is a little more variety in how Disney movies end no matter how much Disney is content with sprinkling different details and internal conflict circumstances.

Thanks for reminding me about that with King Candy altering the code. Going Turbo messing everything up is a consistent element that works for Vanellope. And like I said before, Vanellope needing to return home to maintain order isn't a bad thing that ruins the movie or anything. There's enough to differentiate 2 from 1 since Vanellope wants to stay in the internet for good while only wanted to prove himself and return soon. Vanellope needing to become more mature and taking responsibility for her people works. And I REALLY like your theory about having parallels drawn between Vanellope and Turbo, which actually goes against how Disney usually never even wants their heroes and villains to even be blood related let alone even slightly similar in characterization/roles ( at least after we know those characters are bad). 

I'm only pointing out that if the plot could instead let Vanellope stay in the intent without being forced to go back home for plot-arbitrary obligations, or just do that type of thing with any Disney movie as it doesn't have to specifically be this one, that could help spice up the storyline variety in Disney movies nowadays. It's not absolutely necessary for this to happen with Wreck-It Ralph 2 specifically, but it's a formula twist I would appreciate a lot. Especially to help motivate people around the world that, hey, leaving home because home sucks and probably never coming back isn't ALWAYS a bad thing.

Realistically speaking, we're either getting Vanellope not knowing how bad the indirect consequences will be until someone tells her or actually knowing her actions will screw everything up for Sugar Rush's citizens but still wanting to stay anyways for whatever reason until getting throughly convinced to return by Ralph. Heck, we might even get those in sequential order to intensify the act three tension. But there will only be one obvious resolution to that, and I hope we can agree on that.

This is a weird dream for me. Having Mario and Sonic be in the same movie with Star Wars especially, but also Disney princesses and Marvel heroes. Wow! I actually did dream a few months ago that Mario and Sonic were gonna be part of the team in the next Avengers movie, and with this it's almost come true!

Details on new scenes presented at the NYCC panel, which presents early points of the film in more detail. Apparently Sonic isn't just the one who tells Ralph how the internet is, but he's also the one that tells him and Vanellope that that's where they can find the replacement wheel.

• Thumbs Up 5

On 6/6/2018 at 11:20 AM, KHCast said:

It’s not gonna happen, but would have been an awesome subplot if Kairi was one of the princesses there, but is some snotty loner chick that doesn’t feel like the others cause she’s from a video game, to which Vaneloppe could relate and the two form a kind of friendship and she at the end ends up as an official princess or something.

That actually sounds kinda clever, snotty description aside.

On 6/6/2018 at 11:46 AM, Balding Spider said:

The princess bit was funny, especially enjoyed that Pocahontas's hair has constant wind blowing through it.

The rest though, well it felt like Disney was basically doing this with all those IP's shown:

NSFW

Reveal hidden contents

116.gif

Wtf

On 6/14/2018 at 4:47 AM, SenEDDtor Missile said:

Dunno what you guys feel, but I kinda feel like that Wreck it Ralph going to the internet could have probably been the last story of the Wreck it Ralph franchise, or at least the last story's sequel hook for a new film series or something.

Like it could basically become the Video game version of Toy Story 3 meets Captain America: Civil War, where the arcade ends up in danger of closing because of Litwak either not being able to sustain the arcade anymore due to becoming too old or dying (and being replaced by people who don't care for the arcades), with everyone having to face the harsh reality that they cannot stay anymore.

Yeah, I can't help but feel this is too much of a leap.

Also, who are those two characters you're naming?

On 9/20/2018 at 2:36 PM, Dee Dude said:

Calling it now, Yessss is the twist villain.

What kinda name is that?

Final UK trailer featuring a lot we've already seen, but some new stuff also mixed in. For example:

e961mKs.jpg

Eggy is also returning to Game Central Station. Other notable returns are Pac-Man, the Ghosts, Q-Bert, his enemies, Ryu and Ken, M. Bison, Zangief, and the original dudes from the Bad Anon crew.

• Thumbs Up 4

22 hours ago, Iron Kenny CC14 said:

Final UK trailer featuring a lot we've already seen, but some new stuff also mixed in. For example:

Reveal hidden contents

e961mKs.jpg

Eggy is also returning to Game Central Station. Other notable returns are Pac-Man, the Ghosts, Q-Bert, his enemies, Ryu and Ken, M. Bison, Zangief, and the original dudes from the Bad Anon crew.

Spoiler

Yes! Great to see Sonic & Dr. Eggman returning. Maybe we see another Bag Anon session with Zangief & co.

Nice to see

Spoiler

Egghead back along with Sonic and the Pac-Man crew! But there seems to be one big omission:

latest?cb=20180330131819&path-prefix=protagonist

I'm guessing either Nintendo's saving him for a possible Mario cameo, or he finally got over his bad guy issues.

Have to say a big hallelujiah for the UK getting it November 20th. The last Wreck-It Ralph was released in America about that time, yet the UK got it in February. Disney oftendoes that with its animations, maybe they are finally learning.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Iron Kenny CC14 said:

Inside the Magic has the final say from the film's staff: It looks like Mario is a no-show. I wonder if that and Bowser's absence has anything to do with the upcoming Illumination film?

Given all the messed-up Mario memes this year, I wouldn't be surprised if he and Bowser are staying as far away from the Internet as possible.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Fist Bump 1
  • Absolutely 1

Another TV spot has given us a closer peek at our buddy Bluehog:

HXY0nYE.jpg

G9vQ0ym.jpg

Also, Pooka, Dig Dug, and Fygar! (He's behind Calhoun.)

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/26/2018 at 3:55 PM, Fear-Metallix said:

Given all the messed-up Mario memes this year, I wouldn't be surprised if he and Bowser are staying as far away from the Internet as possible.

That is beautiful.

There's more than one? 

• Way Past Cool 1

7 hours ago, DabigRG said:

There's more than one? 

• Fans harassing Sakurai for Waluigi being playable
  • Yoshi and "tax fraud"
  • MatPat's messed up theories
  • Bowsette
  • Hotel Mario

Take your pick

• Fist Bump 1

10 minutes ago, Sonictrainer said:

Here's one of Sonic's lines in the movie.

Either they're compensating for not having Mario, or someone really loves Sonic. I may be wrong, but I think he had the most cameos out of any other series in the first movie.

• Thumbs Up 2

I like how much they've beefed up his role in this one versus the original. He was originally just a means of establishing how the universe works with only one real line and a couple of cute cameos, but here he seems to be more in the middle of things. I'm thinking maybe he'll be this film's equivalent to Q-Bert in the last film: a cameo that's technically a bit player, but impacts the story more than most of the others. (The previous info that he's apparently the one who points Ralph in the direction of the internet in the first place seems to support that.)

• Thumbs Up 3

Speaking of video game cameos, has anyone seen this?

Guess the ol' dot-muncher wasn't content with just crossing over with Sonic this year. But hey- If you've ever wanted to play an official Frozen Pac-Man maze, here's your chance.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Way Past Cool 1