Awoo.

Would You Like To See The Avatar Return In Future Sonic Games?

VOLTAG3

1 minute ago, Eurisko said:

Yeah I see where you're coming from there , its just very forced (No pun intended). I loved the actual making your own character and I was surprised how much customisation was given to us. But the story elements didn't need to be so "Look look He/shes's part of the gang!! look look" if you catch my drift.

Yeah, the idea could work for a spin off game, but probably not a main series game.

• Thumbs Up 2

5 minutes ago, RedFox99 said:

Yeah, the idea could work for a spin off game, but probably not a main series game.

Oh for sure, as I said earlier it would be better suited to a SART type game. Or even a Sonic The Fighters remake? I can dream.

• Thumbs Up 1

Definitely. It was honestly the best part of Forces for me and I think the game should've JUST been the Avatar.

• Thumbs Up 3

5 hours ago, Waveshocker Sigma said:

Definitely. It was honestly the best part of Forces for me and I think the game should've JUST been the Avatar.

I personally would love a game that focused solely on the Avatar living and existing within the Sonic the Hedgehog universe, with his/her own unique plot and such. Perhaps with Sonic and the other major characters making appearances here and there, but not being playable.

It's a very fanservice-y and fanfiction-y idea, but I love that stuff to bits anyway xD

• Thumbs Up 2

Custom character was one of the things I really liked about Sonic Forces. Would love it if my mega drive anime hedgehog could return.

megadriveanimehechoeg.thumb.jpg.a2c453801bb35a7e99af478144727268.jpg

The Avatar was honestly the best thing about the game, even possibly exceeding some of Modern Sonic's levels.

With that said, while I definitely think it should return in some form, I don't know if putting it in another mainline Sonic game would be the best idea. Like, as we see with Classic(who was definitely unnecessary), there is a concern of resources and progamming regarding different playstyles that should be kept in mind. For example, Silver became a thing in his only 3d playable appearance precisely because the game's engine allowed them to do that type of thing. By extension, while the Avatar system is essentially a Muggle'd [Modern] Sonic with a blaster and grappling wires in place the Spin attacks and the more agile abilities, it would be better if it was seperated from that format and given a different system to operate off of.

Plus, it's worth noting that Buddy was apparently supposed to be the star of his/her own game, but SEGA didn't want it to be introduced as it's own thing. Well, now that they've been introduced, the floodgates should technically be open for a split off or at least a relegation.

• Thumbs Up 2

• 1 month later...
On 2/28/2018 at 7:56 PM, Blue Blood said:

Relegate the Avatar to spin-off that puts them at the centre of attention, and capitalises on the multiplayer aspects that come naturally to such a feature. 

I have absolutely no interest in a custom character, especially not when it's got all the depth of a flash dress up game. I want to see Knuckles, Tails, Shadow, Amy... Absolutely fucking anyone except a blank slate that's meant to represent me. An avatar certainly has no place alongside existing characters in an existing universe. There is clearly a market that wants to see more character customisation, but I just don't think that it belongs at all and that it should be distanced from the main game. If the Avatar was separated entirely, it could be developed into something much larger and deeper (as I said before, multiplayer could be a huge draw) without detracting from what Sonic already is.

I just hate the idea of injecting a flimsy, inconsequential and ultimately uncanon entity into a series that I've always enjoyed for its universe. I am not a part of that universe and nor is any OC I make with a handful pre-designed parts, no matter how many times Sonic calls me "partner". There's already so much to draw from or new things that could be made. Custom characters feel like an appeal to the lowest common denominator in Forces (in the same way that every aspect of that game is a shallow cash-grab from a different audience), rather than something worth any energy.

Maybe make it its own pillar and be the World of Warcraft but set in the Sonic universe. From time to time, references to the mainline games would be made in any capacity. The established characters would be npcs,  and some may even give quests. 

No, I would like to see the other already existing colorful characters to return to the sonic game's first

PLAYABLE.

• Nice Smile 1
  • Fist Bump 1

Am I the only one who thinks the Avatar was easily the best part of Forces? Sure, no hardcore fan asked for it, only kids and teens, but with Sonic's overly simplified gameplay, Classic Sonic's heavy physics, at least the Avatar customization and the chance to play as him/her was the most fun thing for me, I think it also proved extremely popular in Japan and with kids, but I'm speaking for me, I didn't realize I wanted this, but yeah I still prefer playing as the canon characters, the story was another major point of the game I enjoyed, despite its issues, the idea was fun and it is something to build and improve in the series. To answer the op, I'd say only in spin-offs where it is the main character, or as a bonus in a main game, or maybe in the racing game, but still, not as a priority compared to the official characters in my opinion.

3 hours ago, Jack the Maniac said:

Am I the only one who thinks the Avatar was easily the best part of Forces? Sure, no hardcore fan asked for it, only kids and teens, but with Sonic's overly simplified gameplay, Classic Sonic's heavy physics, at least the Avatar customization and the chance to play as him/her was the most fun thing for me, I think it also proved extremely popular in Japan and with kids, but I'm speaking for me, I didn't realize I wanted this, but yeah I still prefer playing as the canon characters, the story was another major point of the game I enjoyed, despite its issues, the idea was fun and it is something to build and improve in the series. To answer the op, I'd say only in spin-offs where it is the main character, or as a bonus in a main game, or maybe in the racing game, but still, not as a priority compared to the official characters in my opinion.

Customizing Avatar was the most polished part, yes. But his gameplay wasn't good, it was least bad. His only unique feature, wispon, has no future.

Or in other words:

wanna play good Modern Sonic? Play Generations.

wanna play good Classic Sonic? Play Mania.

wanna play good Avatar? Then start from scratch. SA1, SA2, Shadow and to a certain degree 06 proved a long time ago that shooting just doesn't mesh well with Sonic platforming. It's mindless and repetitive. Kinda like combat in Heroes, Unleashed and Rise of Lyric. How many more tries it will take, before Sega learns.

• Thumbs Up 1

Generations is old now, they might want to make better modern games. The racing spin-off may be just that, even though it's no main game.

• 3 weeks later...

What I would like their pillaring to look like:

*Classic Sonic(handled by Whitehead's merry gang)

*Modern Sonic(handled by a hopefully revamped Sonic Team) 

*Boom/Non-main game Sonics(the experimental side of the series) 

*Avatar(to give the mainline characters some rest,  preferably after a main game) 

Thoughts?

Gonna have to go with no.

Personally I don't care about self-inserts nor audience surrogates and would much prefer to see the existing cast being used instead.

However, I would not mind if there was an option to give accessories to the existing game characters (for example different gloves for Knuckles, outfits or hammers for Amy, etc)  that the player unlocks or find, and which besides the visual change, also change a character's attributes like speed, acceleration, jumping height, attack range, etc and even unlock new abilities if the right combination is made.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Skull Leader said:

Gonna have to go with no.

Personally I don't care about self-inserts nor audience surrogates and would much prefer to see the existing cast being used instead.

However, I would not mind if there was an option to give accessories to the existing game characters (for example different gloves for Knuckles, outfits or hammers for Amy, etc)  that the player unlocks or find, and which besides the visual change, also change a character's attributes like speed, acceleration, jumping height, attack range, etc and even unlock new abilities if the right combination is made.

Now I'm picturing Modern Amy in classic clothes.

While I would definitely love to see the Avatar return in a future game, I can't see it working in any way other than a spin-off title OR a Forces sequel. Personally, I'd love a Forces sequel with my avatar reprising his role.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 1 month later...
On 2018年3月3日 at 7:25 AM, TimmiT said:

Custom character was one of the things I really liked about Sonic Forces. Would love it if my mega drive anime hedgehog could return.

megadriveanimehechoeg.thumb.jpg.a2c453801bb35a7e99af478144727268.jpg

your character has a heavy JoJo vibe, especially with the cape.

Y'all ready for a hot take?

Yes. Let me explain.

Not as a story component, but as an extra feature that you can use to create a customizeable playstyle, as well as give players a sort of avatar or icon should they choose to use it. Think of it like being able to play as Miis in Sonic Colors' Game Land and using your Mii as an icon for your save file. 

If executed well, it would add loads of replay value. Imagine being able to pick your species and then subsequent special abilities. Let's say we're doing this for a Mania-style sidescroller. You could pick from a variety of air actions like bouncing, stomping, double jumps, insta shields and air dashing, or if you want to go even deeper, you could give these custom characters some gear that can let them fly or break through stuff, essentially letting them become alternate skins for pre-existing characters like Tails and Knuckles.

Different species could have different perks and drawbacks such as their top speed, jump height, traction and such. Basically what I'm getting at is something that goes beyond the scope of some preset abilities ala Forces, but doesn't make creating an avatar character a necessity for those who don't want it. 

As long as it's executed well and doesn't interfere with the main campaign, I think it's worth looking into. It'd be easier to implement than a Chao Garden, for instance, since these abilities would match the characters that have the levels designed for them already. I think a Chao Garden and an Avatar system could coexist as well, but that's a topic for another day. 

Customization is in right now, but if you're gonna add it into your game, at least do it properly and make it fun.

• Thumbs Up 4

36 minutes ago, Indigo Rush said:

Y'all ready for a hot take?

Yes. Let me explain.

Not as a story component, but as an extra feature that you can use to create a customizeable playstyle, as well as give players a sort of avatar or icon should they choose to use it. Think of it like being able to play as Miis in Sonic Colors' Game Land and using your Mii as an icon for your save file. 

If executed well, it would add loads of replay value. Imagine being able to pick your species and then subsequent special abilities. Let's say we're doing this for a Mania-style sidescroller. You could pick from a variety of air actions like bouncing, stomping, double jumps, insta shields and air dashing, or if you want to go even deeper, you could give these custom characters some gear that can let them fly or break through stuff, essentially letting them become alternate skins for pre-existing characters like Tails and Knuckles.

Different species could have different perks and drawbacks such as their top speed, jump height, traction and such. Basically what I'm getting at is something that goes beyond the scope of some preset abilities ala Forces, but doesn't make creating an avatar character a necessity for those who don't want it. 

As long as it's executed well and doesn't interfere with the main campaign, I think it's worth looking into. It'd be easier to implement than a Chao Garden, for instance, since these abilities would match the characters that have the levels designed for them already. I think a Chao Garden and an Avatar system could coexist as well, but that's a topic for another day. 

Customization is in right now, but if you're gonna add it into your game, at least do it properly and make it fun.

This is basically where I'm at. I also think it would be useful for giving Sonic more of a multiplayer/social element than it has, letting you show off your own character and do online races or whatever, maybe even having some kind of hub/lobby to go along with all of that.

I don't want it in the main campaign though because I'm not really interested in playing as a nobody in Sonic's world. I want to play as the main Sonic characters and I want the focus of the story to be on them and their interaction. 

• Thumbs Up 1

No, but I wouldn’t mind getting custom gear and outfits for the actual characters, along with custom color pallets. The lack of color options was a real downer in Forces’ gear selection. Instead we were stuck with three lousy variations of each piece of gear, with some being too ridiculous to unlock.

Here is my take:

Believe it or not i actually like the idea of the custom avatar, where one can make their own Sonic character and have them interact within Sonics world.

However Forces felt like a self insert fanfic, if they were going to make the avatar part of the game they should have made the avatar a secondary character.

If the Avatar returns they should just make it a optional choice rather than just shoehorning it in, something one can create on the side rather than essential to the core game mechanic.

This is where i feel forces went wrong dividing the focus of the game between three styles of gameplay yet not really doing anything too great with it.

The mechanics became unbalanced thus making the game less enjoyable.