Awoo.

Sega of Japan Visited Microsoft's Offices

Badnik Mechanic

To buy out the whole of SEGA? Thankfully doubtful,  especially since SEGA wouldn't be likely to agree to such anyway, given how lucrative the competition's platforms are.

Sega-Sammy is a publicly traded company. They wouldn't have terribly much choice in the matter if Microsoft wanted to buy them out (which would be for a price Microsoft could easily afford) and made an offer too good for shareholders to pass on.

The why is still valid though, since I can't understand what Microsoft would gain compared to just bankrolling some games.

Why? To get a host of gsmes not seen on Xbox usually hopefully bringing more to them. If they got jet set. Panzer. Hotd it could be a great thing for Microsoft

I... really don't think Microsoft is buying Sega... because if they were, Sega would be amazingly stupid to post anything on twitter regarding a visit.

I think if anything, it's more likely Microsoft asked them to come down because they wanted to show them something...

In fact... let's entertain the notion that Microsoft were going to buy Sega... surely Microsoft would go to see them?

• Thumbs Up 2

7 hours ago, Meta77 said:

Why? To get a host of gsmes not seen on Xbox usually hopefully bringing more to them. If they got jet set. Panzer. Hotd it could be a great thing for Microsoft

None of which requires Microsoft to buy Sega to make happen.

2 minutes ago, Tornado said:

None of which requires Microsoft to buy Sega to make happen.

True but having those titles exclusive to MS would be a boon.  i think thats the word im looking for.

34 minutes ago, Meta77 said:

True but having those titles exclusive to MS would be a boon.  i think thats the word im looking for.

Then they can just moneyhat exclusives (though some exclusives SEGA likely ain't gonna submit to). Far less trouble than buying the entire company. 

If buying the company was the only way to get exclusives, we wouldn't have gotten stuff like the Nintendo exclusive Sonic titles, the OG Xbox SEGA line up, and Bayonetta 2 and 3. Like Jovahexeon is suggesting, they're FAR more likely to moneyhat the development of several exclusive titles. Remember, them being ported to PC isn't an issue either, since Microsoft is already doing that shit with all their own exclusives.

• Thumbs Up 3

Well Sonic is mostly fun to play on the Xbox, i played them on Xbox 360. So i wouldn't mind if they sold out to Microsoft honestly.

1 hour ago, Lomba02 said:

Well Sonic is mostly fun to play on the Xbox, i played them on Xbox 360. So i wouldn't mind if they sold out to Microsoft honestly.

Wait, wut? 

Buddy, I hate to break your illusions, but Sonic games were NEVER exclusive to MS systems. Unleashed HD and 06 were also on PS3, and Generations was on a fuck ton of systems. 

So, honestly, the Xbox has noting to do with the fun factor.

Well, there was Sonic Free Riders, an Xbox 360 Kinect exclusive...for good reason.

Aside from that, I cannot think of a single time Sega was Microsoft exclusive. In fact, Sonic is more likely to find his games be Nintendo exclusives than MS or Sony exclusives.

Hmm... It could either be Microsoft showing Sega their new WIP console, trying to get them an exclusive or even if it as simple as getting permission to emulate their older original Xbox output. Nothing super big.

Would love to see either a new Jet Set Radio game or an Out Run game, maybe even Panzer Dragoon since there was that spiritual successor game on the Xbox One launch.

27 minutes ago, SurrealBrain said:

Aside from that, I cannot think of a single time Sega was Microsoft exclusive. In fact, Sonic is more likely to find his games be Nintendo exclusives than MS or Sony exclusives.

For Sonic, it's just Free Riders and the physical version of the Dreamcast Collection however for outside of Sonic it is a different story. Firstly during the Saturn and Dreamcast era, Sega were pushing for PC ports as far back as when Daytona USA, Panzer Dragoon and Virtua Fighter Remix were out which is when their partnership with Microsoft started. Sega Rally 2 for the Dreamcast ran on Windows CE that the console supported (just look for the logo on the console). Interesting Sega Marine Fishing was PC only in Europe all thanks to Empire Interactive, the original Dreamcast version was not released. It's when you get towards the original Xbox era is when you see the Microsoft exclusives and the partnership grew. It's perhaps not as strong as the Nintendo partnership or even the Sony one of more recent times but strong enough to make an impression. The original Xbox was inspired by the Dreamcast as in the controller layout (colored A,B,X,Y*, analog triggers, position of the analog stick and D-Pad), the online focus and even the little touches such as the two ports in the controller to save were based of the VMU and the Vibration Pack positions. *Even though some might argue that it was based off the PAL SNES/Super Famicom controller however the letters weren't written directly to the controller. There was even a rumor of backwards compatibility at one point.

Jet Set Radio Future, Gun Valkyrie, Sega GT 2002/Online, OutRun 2 (that also ran on Xbox hardware in the arcade, just with more memory), ToeJam and Earl 3, Shenmue 2 with an exclusive English dub and an video of the first game, Panzer Dragoon Orta, Spikeout Battle Street and the two From Software games if those count. Nearly all on the original Xbox only and still is to this day, a couple did get an emulation job on the 360 with not really good results... Many were originally planned as Dreamcast games and Shenmue II also did come out on the Dreamcast outside of the US. Even going as far as saying that Sega's output made the original Xbox appealing along with Tecmo's games, Halo and some others.

Stop the presses!

Exclusive Sonic games for... Panasonic TVs! SEGA being bought by Panasonic! Oh, the humanity! 

• Way Past Cool 1