Awoo.

Ready Player One - Featuring Sonic from the Sonic the Hedgehog series

DaddlerTheDalek

Let's talk about Steven Spielberg's movie Ready Player One based on Ernest Cline's book with the same name.

In the year 2045, much of Earth's population centers have become slum-like cities due to overpopulation, pollution, corruption, and climate change. To escape their desolation, people engage in the virtual reality world of the OASIS (Ontologically Anthropocentric Sensory Immersive Simulation), where they can engage in numerous activities for work, education, and entertainment.

Source

3 hours ago, RedFox99 said:

I've never read the book before. Do you know if it's good?

I personally think the book is a absolute cringe fest. It's filled with page after page of the main protagonist (Wade) being this ridiculous geek who does the unthinkable, arriving in a scene with his "time-traveling, Ghost Busting, Knight Riding, matter-penetrating DeLorean" and describing everything with as many annoyingly "cheeky" 80s references as possible. The book compares everything to all sorts of pop-culture references ad nauseam, with Wade making a lot of cringey allusions to pop-culture and helping the readers understand what a location in the weird MMO fantasy world looks like by saying "It's like that place from that *insert 80s reference here*," like he can't properly describe what a location looks like normally. Wade is so ridiculously fixated on nerdy shit and obnoxious (and at times creepy) towards other characters that I can't imagine meeting a person like him in real life, and if I did, I'd probably stay away in a galaxy far far away. 

To be honest, I can understand why many people liked the book (beyond it's references) but it's not something I can take seriously or get invested when the climax is the main character winning a game of Tempest, doing a Monty Python roleplay and looking for the credits easter egg in Atari's Adventure to gain backend access to the entire MMORPG VR world... Yeah.

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Promotion 1

7 hours ago, RedFox99 said:

I've never read the book before. Do you know if it's good?

I've never read it to be honest, but I'm looking forward to the movie.

Never read the book, and the trailer for the film...didn't exactly wow me. I didn't personally find anything offensive about the trailer, but I couldn't really feel excitement for it, either.

Steven Spielberg is directing. That could either mean the film will be good, it the film will be bad. Only time will tell for sure. But as it stands, it's just kinda there. I'm not offended, but I'm not exactly wowed, either.

Maybe I'm just burnt out of these special effects extravaganzas. Maybe there's something else in there that actually kinda worries me. Who knows?

Now, let me make it clear; if friends or family decide to see it and there's nothing else at that moment I can do, or every other movie looks even less interesting, seeing the movie isn't something I'll exactly be against. But it's nothing I'll exactly be for, either.

• Thumbs Up 1

WELL I'LL BE

sorry wreck-it ralph 2

I do wonder, who would be using Sonic? Since he is an avatar after all. But this is just a cameo, so it's not like that matters.

• Thumbs Up 4

It's a good thing Sonic still managed to find work after he learned Disney said there'd be fewer video game cameos in WiR2.

"Be ANYONE -"

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Chuckle 2

That depressing moment when Ready Player One will have more game cameos then Wreck It Ralph 2.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Promotion 1
  • Chuckle 3
  • Absolutely 2

• The title was changed to Ready Player One - Featuring Sonic from the Sonic the Hedgehog series

It's very interesting that they decided to make Sonic so small, but on the other hand, his proportions might make him look distractingly oversized if he was more comparable in height to the other characters in that scene.  ...I wonder if we can draw any inferences about the CG/live-action movie from this clip; Sega must have authorised the choice of size, after all, and they normally seem very demanding when it comes to consistency of presentation.  Probably not, but it's worth bearing in mind.

That tracer booty. But anyway could this how the make sonic look in his movie. That looks more like classic than modern but still my mind says modern. The legal rights for this movie must have been hell

29 minutes ago, Kevin said:

The movie’s release date sure snuck up on us quickly! They’ve been released it a lot of retro based posters for the movie as well.

Why do so many of those look so off? The protagonist's head is just wrong in every one of them.

And seeing as I'm here... relevant tweet:

• Chuckle 2
  • Fist Bump 1

Sonic's the size of a three year old, guys, he's not going to look that tall next to the other characters

Unless you'd like them to 06 him

3 hours ago, Kevin said:

The movie’s release date sure snuck up on us quickly! They’ve been released it a lot of retro based posters for the movie as well.

And they are all cringe worthy

On 3/7/2018 at 8:18 AM, Kevin said:

The link doesn't work...

All of the posters are awful but the Iron Giant one in particular makes me want to vomit.

As for the movie itself, I've no desire to see a film that's basically just LOOK AT ALL THE FAMILIAR BRANDS™ I KNOW.

On 3/6/2018 at 11:19 PM, Parax said:

It's a bit weird seeing Sonic standing next to other humanoid characters because among them, he is soooo short lol

On 3/6/2018 at 11:49 PM, Blue Wisp said:

Why is Sonic so small lmao

Remember Sonic is only one metre tall.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1c3JVgIubYTfRlSHls4wo9gLchsZhzWtc/view

I found the link to the tv spot featuring Sonic performing his signature homing attack. It's not the best quality, but it's all I could find. Also in the first tv spot with Sonic that's currently available in HD quality, somone claims that you could see Infinite toward the back between Sonic and Tracer.