Awoo.

Ready Player One - Featuring Sonic from the Sonic the Hedgehog series

DaddlerTheDalek

On 10/03/2018 at 3:52 AM, Blue Knight/Bluestreak said:

Also in the first tv spot with Sonic that's currently available in HD quality, somone claims that you could see Infinite toward the back between Sonic and Tracer.

False claim, I checked frame by frame for him, and he's not there.

What reason would he have to be there anyways? SEGA would usually request Sonic and Eggman first and foremost. Never side characters.

http://readyplayerone.wikia.com/wiki/Ready_Player_One_(film)

Also found out that Sonic isn't the only Sonic/Sega cameos in ready player one, because Knuckles along with Nights and Super Monkey Ball are included. Don't know why Ice Age, How To Train Your Dragon, Zootopia or even Spongebob and Patrick is in it. The Angry Birds and some Skylanders, even Marvin Martian appear. I also seen Jack Sparrow and Indiana Jones listed, I wonder who they got for those 2.

• Thumbs Up 2

@Blue Knight/Bluestreak

I wouldn't trust wikias at all. Sure, this films is being written for all the 12 year old fan fic writers in the world, but this list is obiously made-up by said 12 year olds. There's already enough francises the movie's going to give bad names, but at least the cameos are somewhat sensible. I seriously don't belive anyone in the staff would be willing to reference Over the Hedge for instance.

Uh yeah I'm calling bullshit to that list unless someone actually shows evidence of it... like this...

High Def Sonic in ready player 1! Appears at 7 seconds.

OH HOLD EVERYTHING!

This might be real!

So there's a new trailer and it does indeed show a 'shop' area, but I don't spot Sonic in it.

Contrary to popular belief, Disney did allow the use of Star Wars in Ready Player One. Here is more info about that:

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...

I just saw the movie, and I want to confirm that while the movie was good,  you'll be disappointed if you only went to see it because of Sonic. Sonic was barely in it, he actually showed up more in Wreck-It Ralph. All he did was briefly rush off screen in the beginning, and he briefly showed up during a war sequence at the end, but it was only the back view of him doing a spin dash and homing attack. His cameos went by way too quickly, you don't see any close shots of his face, or hear him speak. Also, the film established early on how none of the characters are real, they are all just avatars. So that wasn't really Sonic in the movie, it was just some player who chose to look like Sonic as his avatar. 

There weren't a whole lot of cameos in the movie to be honest, they all went by very quickly, but it was still a fun movie. I recommend seeing it, just don't go into it expecting cameos to be the main priority, there are very few cameos in the movie., but it was still fun to be on the look out for them.

If Anyone is interested, here is a list of cameos I was able to spot when watching. 
Sonic the Hedgehog, the motorcycle from Akira, Batman, Marvin Martian, Hello Kitty, Tracer from OverWatch, Beetlejuice, King Kong, Mecha Godzilla,  The T Rex from Jurassic Park, The Iron Giant, a Gremlin, the chest burster alien from Alien, Spartans from Halo, Ryu and Chun Li from Street Fighter, the world of Minecraft, The car from Back To The Future, Chucky from Child Play, The Shining, Terminator, and possibly a Ninja Turtle.

On 3/16/2018 at 6:56 PM, Kevin said:

Contrary to popular belief, Disney did allow the use of Star Wars in Ready Player One. Here is more info about that:

All they did was mention the Millennium Falcon, that was pretty much it for Star Wars references. There were still a few other surprising cameos in there from other franchises. 

On 3/14/2018 at 8:58 PM, Blue Knight/Bluestreak said:

http://readyplayerone.wikia.com/wiki/Ready_Player_One_(film)

Also found out that Sonic isn't the only Sonic/Sega cameos in ready player one, because Knuckles along with Nights and Super Monkey Ball are included. Don't know why Ice Age, How To Train Your Dragon, Zootopia or even Spongebob and Patrick is in it. The Angry Birds and some Skylanders, even Marvin Martian appear. I also seen Jack Sparrow and Indiana Jones listed, I wonder who they got for those 2.

Marvin Martian was the only one I spotted, out of the ones you listed. I don't recall seeing any of the others. I don't know if Spongebob and Patrick were in the film, but I did spot Viacom and Nickelodeon's names in the credits. Maybe they were in the film, but flashed by real quickly. 

• Thumbs Up 2

The film itself is apparently decent but also a truckload better than the actual book, which by all accounts is a garbage fire of smug 80s references and some misogyny here and there and way into up its own asshole to have any kind of good pacing.

• Thumbs Up 2

Whenever movie is good or not, it doesn't matter. Only one thing is important.

Eat your heart out plumber! With Wrecked Ralph it's 2:0 for team hedgehog!

The CG in the movie was the star of the show, and even then the visuals still looked drab in some scenes and the action lacked any sort of oomph or nuance.  The initial dive into Oasis gives off that Wizard of Oz feel where Wade's drab world melts into these colorful and diverse landscapes, but the movie really doesn't keep it up and often has a more dull blue/gray color palette that's a bit too similar to the real world.   A lot of the action sequences, especially the big one that happens later in the movie, was just a mess of visual noise.  It's by that point in the movie where it loses all of its steam too, and unfortunately the movie keeps trying to raise the stakes and make everything more dramatic even after it reached a fairly suitable conclusion for its climax.  The movie feels a lot longer than it actually is; what was a 2h20m movie felt like 3 hours to me.

The characters themselves are all fairly one note and the performance they give (especially our protagonists) often feels like they're reading lines their lines for the first time.  Out of all of the actors, Ben Mendelsohn probably does the best job and it's a shame he didn't have a mustache to twirl considering how much he and the dialogue hammed up the evil corporate businessman shtick.  Mark Rylance does a suitable job as Halliday too.

It's a damn sight better than the book, but I found the movie to be aggressively average all around.  It's just boring and feels really soulless for a good deal of the movie.

• Nice Smile 2

I saw it today and I had a great time with this movie. smile.gif
And it was great to see Sonic and more. And that Iron Giant vs Mechagodzilla fight. Holy ****!