Awoo.

Mario & Luigi Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr's Journey (3DS)

Ryannumber1gamer

Will update in a bit when the direct is over, but just announced is a remake of Bowser's Inside Story, and similar to the Superstar Saga remake, there's a separate side story based on Bowser Jr this time around!

• Thumbs Up 1

Much like SS+BM, this is a game which I'm really not sure if I should get.  It's the widely-perceived rival to Superstar Saga for best game in the series, but I don't remember being that sold on it the first time around; actually, I barely remember it at all.  I'll have to see what else is on the table in 2019, the new official death year for the 3DS since Nintendo clearly isn't ready to give it up yet.

The original is the only one in the series I managed to finish, so I'll buy this remake for sure :D

BIS is so far my only M&L game. I enjoyed it, but it wasn't amazing. Technically I do have DTB as well, but despite playing for several hours the tutorials never stopped coming and I just got fed up with it. Not sold on this yet. Still hoping for a new Paper Mario game in vein of TTYP or even SPM though. I just don't care for SS or CS.

As much as i love this, i'm a bid sad they're skipping Partners in Time, especially because that game needed a graphical overhaul more than BiS due to the back then still different art style.
Oh well, i'm still happy for this one, not complaining.

WHAT! WHAT! WHAT! Dude, BIS is my absolute favorite Mario and Luigi game! I can't wait for this, hnnnggghhh!!!

• Thumbs Up 2

This announcement is what kept my attention throughout the direct! Yeah, Smash and Luigi's Mansion are cool and all, but now my favorite entry in the Mario and Luigi series is getting the same remastering as Superstar Saga!

After Paper Jam, I was pretty worried that Nintendo was streamlining the M&L series by getting rid of all the original characters, but last year's Superstar Saga remake showed that they're at least safe in ports! (For the most part. rip Bink) Plus, Fawful was mentioned by name, so I don't have anything to worry about.

And yes, this is without a doubt the best game in the series- not because of the Bros. themselves, but because it lets you rampage around the Mushroom Kingdom as the Koopa King himself, smashing, burning, and pummeling everything in your sights! Not to mention Bowser's given his best portrayal ever- a perfect mix of funny and threatening. And while I never played Superstar Saga DX and didn't know what to make of the Minions Quest, this new version has convinced me to at least give it a try, since it gives my favorite Mario baddie* the starring role for the first time ever!

I was ready to put my 3DS budget out to pasture, but I think it can handle one more purchase.

Spoiler

*besides Fawful, obviously

• Thumbs Up 2

I'm on the fence probably because Paper Jam just bummed me out too much. Even if I know BIS is good as I beat the original a while back. Is probably my overall favourite of the series, aside from music maybe which I think Dream Team took. I'd put Dream Team Higher but it's story wasn't as good, even if the dream stuff was pretty awesome. More Luigi is best Luigi.

I also get a chuckle at them skipping Partners in Time as I do not think it's one of the weaker titles gameplay wise. Story wise it's not as bland as PJ though, not even close to that blandness. Gameplay and levels were super dull to me, and I couldn't stand the item system in this one. So seeing them give it the skip probably because of it's over complicated 4 bro mechanic is a good thing.

Snap, son, Partners and Time got shafted.

Honestly really surprised to see this being a thing. BiS isn't that terribly old or hard to purchase. The only reason I could see them doing a remake of it is because the SSS remake performed a lot better than expected and they wanted to capitalize on it.

The big question is, what's after this? Surely they won't remake Dream Team. I'm excited thinking about it. They've remade the two best games in the series now, so hopefully they've come to realize beyond a doubt what made the series special and will be inspired to make an AMAZING new game  next time around.

Also...think of how great the remix of the final boss music will sound. Awwwww yeah.

This looks like it's mainly for people who either never bought the original, or loved the minion side quest in Superstar Saga DX that much.

I never had strong feelings toward BIS in the first place, so I'm less likely to be annoyed by the differences this time (and the general pointlessness of it all) than I was with Superstar Saga DX. But I have the original DS version so I probably won't buy this. Think I'm pretty much over the M&L series now.

Superstar Saga is one of my top favorite games, and after playing most of the remake it just feels so hollow in comparison. Much of the charm and timing of the humor is lost to "moar snazzy grafix!" The redone OST is very slick though.

Tried out BIS a few years back but lost interest. Never played any the others.

Partners In Time is a game I enjoyed a lot, but realistically it's never been as popular as Bowser's Inside Story; added to that, by skipping it, Nintendo can present the remakes as basically being "the Fawful saga."  (It might have been harder to cook up a storyline for a PiT Minion Mode, too.)

I honestly viewed Superstar Saga +BM as being a stopgap on the way to a Switch Mario & Luigi.  I still think that, but it looks like they're paying serious attention to the remakes, so either SS+BM did much better than expected, or perhaps the Switch game is farther off than they might have thought.  Or both, more likely.  Still, emphasis on this interpretation of the series, with a focus on original characters and narratives, can only be a good thing for the next new game.

I really like BiS, but I can't just sit here and say it doesn't piss me off that they're still keeping the 3DS on life support for another year. I really want to see a Mario RPG on Switch, and with this happening that's not likely until 2020 at the earliest. It's not like Paper Mario is a RPG anymore, so M & L is the only way to scratch the itch.

• Thumbs Up 1

lol even Nintendo considers PiT too much horseshit to bother saving. Though how soulless this remake is doesn't concern me much, since the original was never nearly as charming as Superstar Saga anyway.

• Thumbs Up 1

10 hours ago, Conando said:

I really like BiS, but I can't just sit here and say it doesn't piss me off that they're still keeping the 3DS on life support for another year. I really want to see a Mario RPG on Switch, and with this happening that's not likely until 2020 at the earliest. It's not like Paper Mario is a RPG anymore, so M & L is the only way to scratch the itch.

Mario and Rabbids is a Mario RPG on Switch ;)

• Chuckle 1

Oh, sure, remake a game that's relatively recent and continue treating Paper Mario like crap. :|

Don't get me wrong. I love Bowser's Inside Story, but the amount of favortism toward the M&L series when PM64 could use a remake baffles me.

Granted, I wouldn't trust a PM64 remake to be good with how the poor series has suffered.

Side note: I do think they shoulda remade PiT because it's more flawed, and a remake could fix that.

A bit off-topic, but I liked PiT. The item system in that games was a free-for-all where you just bought them instead of using MP/SP/BP like every other RPG out there. Of course, the downside was that all you really needed to do was buy a bijillion Red Shells for ground enemes and Smash Eggs for anything that the Red Shells couldn't hit. The other items kinda sucked was my point.

BiS is my favorite Mario & Luigi game. Dream Team was pretty great, Paper Jam and Partners in Time I got bored of and never beat, and I didn't really like Superstar Saga that much. But Bowser's Inside Story holds a lot of nostalgia for me (it was the first one I played BTW) and it was just a good time overall.

I've wanted to replay this for a while now. Very excited!

• Thumbs Up 1

• 6 months later...

Thanks to yesterday's Direct, we finally have release dates: December 27 in Japan, January 11, 2019 in North America, and January 25 in Europe

New trailer, box art, and screens:

Mario-and-Luigi-Bowsers-Inside-Story-Bowser-Jrs-Journey_2018_09-13-18_013

One of the most acclaimed games in the Mario & Luigi RPG series is getting a remake on Nintendo 3DS. In addition to the game’s revamped graphics and refined gameplay, a new side story follows Bowser Jr. as he gathers an army, creates formations, supports his allies with an arsenal of moves and generally causes chaos (in the best way possible). Mario & Luigi: Bowser’s Inside Story + Bowser Jr.’s Journey will prove two adventures are better than one!

Mario-and-Luigi-Bowsers-Inside-Story-Bowser-Jrs-Journey_2018_09-13-18_002.jpg

Mario-and-Luigi-Bowsers-Inside-Story-Bowser-Jrs-Journey_2018_09-13-18_004.jpg

Mario-and-Luigi-Bowsers-Inside-Story-Bowser-Jrs-Journey_2018_09-13-18_005.jpg

Mario-and-Luigi-Bowsers-Inside-Story-Bowser-Jrs-Journey_2018_09-13-18_009.jpg

Mario-and-Luigi-Bowsers-Inside-Story-Bowser-Jrs-Journey_2018_09-13-18_007.jpg

The big change to the army gameplay is a ninth soldier- a second-in-command. So far, only Koopalings are confirmed to serve that role for Jr. (Though they can also be regular allies)

Mario-and-Luigi-Bowsers-Inside-Story-Bowser-Jrs-Journey_2018_09-13-18_008.jpg

Oh, look: The four captains from the last game are turning traitor. How heartbreaking.

Mario-and-Luigi-Bowsers-Inside-Story-Bowser-Jrs-Journey_2018_09-13-18_006.jpg

>When your subordinates are demanding unique Smash movesets

• Thumbs Up 1

I actually wonder how Yoko will arrange the music this time around, seeing as the original DS version was when Bowser started having a consistent theme in all future titles (MLSS and MLPiT not withstanding).  I can also see the Giant Bowser segments having a 3D look to them much like with the Giant Luigi fights and the Papercraft battles from the fourth and fifth games.  And if Cackletta's ghost was any indication from the prvious remake, then I can easily see the Dark Fawful Bug or Dark Star appear as CG as well during the final battle, with Dark Bowser still being a 2D graphic.

45 minutes ago, Tailikku said:

I can also see the Giant Bowser segments having a 3D look to them much like with the Giant Luigi fights and the Papercraft battles from the fourth and fifth games. 

hqdefault.jpg

They're way ahead of you.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 months later...

New footage and screenshots:

Goomba Storm looks easier to perfect now, and all the Koopalings have unique attacks in Bowser Jr.'s Journey. (If only the Minion Quest gameplay wasn't awful to begin with)

bis 1

bis 6

bis 2

They've even remastered artwork from the original. Nice touch. 

More importantly, here's a group shot of Jr.'s crew, showing off their unique attacks and personalities:

bis 9

According to a rough translation from the Jap. site, Jr.'s not only trying to find a cure for the Blorbs himself, but also take back his dad's castle from Fawful's forces. But his loudmouth spoiled-brat demeanor quickly gets on the Koopalings' nerves, and so they'll eventually turn on him. Though it may not be of their own volition....

LtLZQWF.png

This trio of brand-new characters looks to be the Big Bad Duumvirate to this side story. In an earlier trailer, we saw two of them standing next to Morton, who was enveloped in some kind of shadowy aura. These new guys were most likely controlling him.

Either way, we haven't seen the last of unique villains in the RPG's. Huzzah!

• Thumbs Up 1

Yay at seeing new, interesting-looking characters in a Mario and Luigi game again.

Boo at the Koopalings apparently getting controlled. Again. Didn't we already do this song and dance in Bowser's Minions?