Awoo.

Mario & Luigi Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr's Journey (3DS)

Ryannumber1gamer

The real lost here is the implication that they're not bringing back Bowser's "I Rule!" clip, since its replaced here when scoring an Excellent. If you're gonna bother bringing back most all the old voices from the original, could you at least not have them played out of order???

It's a bit early to say he won't have a new voice clip for that, he didn't actually ALWAYS say "I RULE!" when he got an Excellent on a Koopa Troop attack. He would have that laugh.

• 2 weeks later...

While "I Rule!" is in question, "Showtime!" is indeed back:

Also, Jr. and crew apparently also get roped into giving Broque Madame a massage.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Found a nice interview with AlphaDream about the remake that may address some questions:

https://www.gameinformer.com/interview/2019/01/14/alphadream-on-remaking-bowsers-inside-story-and-how-mario-luigi-could-possibly

Here's some interesting parts:

Luigi is the perpetual loser, but he is never more of a loser than he is in the Mario & Luigi games. Is that something you take special care to try and showcase and emphasize?

Maekawa: Definitely looking at Luigi’s role in the Mario & Luigi series, you might get that sense, but it is more the sense of teasing Luigi as opposed to flat out bullying him. There are parts of him, like he might cowardly, or get the short end of the stick, but he is definitely not a loser from our point of view. When we went and looked at this game and looked at Superstar Saga, the original, we definitely thought that, "Yeah, he is getting perhaps teased a bit too much," but we definitely don’t look at it like we’re bullying him or anything like that.

Otani: You should play the next game in the series, the fourth RPG, Dream Team, and you can see how much love we have for Luigi.

Why Skip Partners in Time as you remake the Mario & Luigi games?

Otani: The biggest point was that Mario & Luigi 3, Bowser’s Inside Story, was the best received title in the series, so we really wanted to do a remake of that. And we also really liked the idea of portraying Bowser and Bowser Jr. as a parent and child in the new mode, which is similar to the mode we added to the Superstar Saga remake. Also, the character Fawful was received very well overseas, so we wanted to bring him back and we wanted to show the continued saga with him that we started with Bowser’s Minions in the remake of Superstar Saga.

Was adding Bowser Jr.’s Journey a big incentive to remake the game?

Shunsuke Kobayashi (director, AlphaDream): Making the new Bowser Jr.’s Journey content was really fun for us and we put a lot of effort put into the scenario, like the comical movements of the characters. If you look at the way the characters move you can see there was a lot of effort put into those. We would really appreciate it if fans would take notice of those things and enjoy the game.

Otani: Coming up with the story for Bowser Jr. – it’s the story of a little kid growing up. In the story you fall down quite low and bad things are happening and he rises up from that bottom. We considered, “How low should we sink him?” Since it’s a child character we didn’t make it too extreme so that people would feel sorry for the character, but also we wanted to call out his brattiness, so it was difficult to find that middle ground.

Kobayashi: We discussed this a lot and think we came up with a very good balance.

Paper Mario and Mario & Luigi are distinct games, but they are both turn-based RPGs starring Mario. Do you communicate with Paper Mario’s developer, Intelligent Systems, at all in order to make sure the two series don’t overlap?

Otani: Basically, they don’t. They are two completely separate series of games. We like to keep Mario & Luigi with AlphaDream and Paper Mario with Intelligent Systems to keep their originality, except for the case of Paper Jam. They did work together on that title.

Mario & Luigi has quite a few original characters. Which among those would you like to see in Smash Bros. given the opportunity?

Otani: Starlow, for sure.

Maekawa: Either Fawful or Broque Madame.

Btw, if you can, please play or at last watch the cutscenes of Bowser Jr's. Journey. The writing has a lot of heart and will make you love that brat, the koopalings and even Kamek (he and Roy were my favorites). The villains are also nice and have a EPIC final theme:

Spoiler

• Thumbs Up 3

Having a packed RPG schedule, and having played the original (and found it kind of forgettable - blasphemy, I know, but I mean I literally have forgotten almost everything about it, unlike SS and PiT), I wasn't planning on getting this remake - but it's increasingly sounding like I'll have to.  At least it shouldn't be nearly as long as some of the other games I keep on deciding I should play; I could appreciate something with a little brevity right now.

It's out in the UK today. 

Don't even try to find it in the shops, none around my area have bothered to get it in. 

Got this on release day. I've already completed Bowser Jr.'s Journey and currently working through the original game. (It's very nice that you can choose the story you want to play from the outset without having to play a bit into BIS. I was mostly interested in the new stuff so I jumped right into it.)

I echo Cayenne's thoughts on BJJ's story. I went in expecting a fun, goofy romp like Minion Quest only starring Junior and the Koopalings but what I got was a surprisingly emotional tale with some nice character growth for Junior. The Koopalings also get their own little moments to shine with great scenes for almost all of them showcasing everything from Iggy's unapologetic lunacy to Ludwig actually acting like their leader for the first time.

If you want a simple statement that perfectly encapsulates how surprising this story ended up being to me, I'll give you this: Morton was probably my least-favorite Koopaling before I played this and he actually made tears well up in my eyes as I was playing through it.

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Nice Smile 1

10 hours ago, 8-Bit Blast CC14 said:

Got this on release day. I've already completed Bowser Jr.'s Journey and currently working through the original game. (It's very nice that you can choose the story you want to play from the outset without having to play a bit into BIS. I was mostly interested in the new stuff so I jumped right into it.)

I echo Cayenne's thoughts on BJJ's story. I went in expecting a fun, goofy romp like Minion Quest only starring Junior and the Koopalings but what I got was a surprisingly emotional tale with some nice character growth for Junior. The Koopalings also get their own little moments to shine with great scenes for almost all of them showcasing everything from Iggy's unapologetic lunacy to Ludwig actually acting like their leader for the first time.

If you want a simple statement that perfectly encapsulates how surprising this story ended up being to me, I'll give you this: Morton was probably my least-favorite Koopaling before I played this and he actually made tears well up in my eyes as I was playing through it.

Spoiler

That scene where Junior cries when he cures Morton from the Malotone Formula effects gave me the same reaction. Their reunion was genuinely touching and I never knew that a Mario game would make me cry until this.😢

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Fist Bump 1

While the Minions gameplay still sucks, and the production values are... inadequate, to say the least...

Spoiler

hqdefault.jpg

tumblr_pkvzxaz08q1wdm9uoo6_640.png

tumblr_pkvzxaz08q1wdm9uoo1_640.png

They just took existing artwork and copy/pasted it repeatedly with minimum changes to characters' poses. Congrats, AlphaDream, you figured out Photoshop!

I will praise this campaign's writing. The Koopalings went from glorified minibosses to compelling-even somewhat deep- characters, and Bowser Jr. finally gets to be something other than an loud brat. He's not just Baby Bowser II- His selfish actions have realistic consequences, and they flesh him out into someone new.

Spoiler

I'm echoing the sentiment that Morton and Bowser Jr's relationship squeezed a few tears out of me, which is especially shocking since Morton generally comes off as the most one-note Koopaling. Guess he's not just a dumb muscle archetype after all.

And without spoiling anything, I absolutely adore the BFF's as antagonists. They're colorful, they're funny, and they left such a good impression in such a short time. The fact that Nintendo was willing to finally give a Mario RPG brand-new villains for the first time in almost six years gives me a new spark of hope for future games.

• Thumbs Up 1

58 minutes ago, Forte-Metallix said:

While the Minions gameplay still sucks, and the production values are... inadequate, to say the least...

Reveal hidden contents

hqdefault.jpg

tumblr_pkvzxaz08q1wdm9uoo6_640.png

tumblr_pkvzxaz08q1wdm9uoo1_640.png

They just took existing artwork and copy/pasted it repeatedly with minimum changes to characters' poses. Congrats, AlphaDream, you figured out Photoshop!

I will praise this campaign's writing. The Koopalings went from glorified minibosses to compelling-even somewhat deep- characters, and Bowser Jr. finally gets to be something other than an loud brat. He's not just Baby Bowser II- His selfish actions have realistic consequences, and they flesh him out into someone new.

Reveal hidden contents

I'm echoing the sentiment that Morton and Bowser Jr's relationship squeezed a few tears out of me, which is especially shocking since Morton generally comes off as the most one-note Koopaling. Guess he's not just a dumb muscle archetype after all.

And without spoiling anything, I absolutely adore the BFF's as antagonists. They're colorful, they're funny, and they left such a good impression in such a short time. The fact that Nintendo was willing to finally give a Mario RPG brand-new villains for the first time in almost six years gives me a new spark of hope for future games.

Don't expect polishment from the current 3DS releases. While I liked AlphaDream's efforts, it's very obvious that Nintendo is using low budgets and recycled content to print some money before the portable finally kicks the bucket.

About the Best Fitness Friends, I just have one little thing against them:

Spoiler

They are just a duo. Dieter and Kaley move everything in the story but Beef is just...there. He is literally Morton before Bowser Jr.'s Journey.

• 4 weeks later...

I loved the characterization they gave to the characters. 

Hopefully Ninty will continue to develop these characters in the RPGs from now on.