Awoo.

Luigi's Mansion (3DS Remake)

Ryannumber1gamer

Luigi steps out of his brother's shadow in order to explore a haunted mansion that he won in order to find his missing brother. Infested with ghosts, ghouls and other creepy monsters, Luigi must navigate through this mansion with the help of a ghost-capturing vacuum to save his brother and stop King Boo's evil plans. 

Not much has been confirmed for the remake as of yet, other than a new boss rush mode of the boss ghosts, updated graphics and HUD, and the map of the mansion being displayed on the second screen of the 3DS. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Way Past Cool 1

LM on 3DS would have been hype as balls 2 or more years ago. At this point... eh. I will hope they're shitting it out to hype us up for LM 3 on Switch.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, Blue Blood said:

I never played the original, but adored the sequel.

Same here.  I thought 2 / Dark Moon was fantastic; not sure yet if I'll give the original a go.  I need to see maybe another trailer or two to know if it has the kind of exploration action I'm looking for.

• Thumbs Up 1

I don't play handhelds anymore and don't have a 3DS, but I loved the original on Gamecube. Getting Dark Moon and/or a third game on Switch would be cool.

6 minutes ago, FFWF said:

Same here.  I thought 2 / Dark Moon was fantastic; not sure yet if I'll give the original a go.  I need to see maybe another trailer or two to know if it has the kind of exploration action I'm looking for.

Having played both, Luigi's Mansion is based even more around exploration because it's focused on one giant mansion as opposed to multiple ones. As you go through the game's chapters, you open up more of the Mansion for exploration.

7 minutes ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

Having played both, Luigi's Mansion is based even more around exploration because it's focused on one giant mansion as opposed to multiple ones. As you go through the game's chapters, you open up more of the Mansion for exploration.

What's it like in terms of environmental variety, would you say?  Outdoors, basement, changes of theme?  My impression, from what little I've seen of the original plus the trailer for the remake, is that it's predominantly the same fusty old rooms and straight corridors, with much of the variety coming instead from the ghost characters.

In terms of the original versus Dark Moon, they both have pluses and minuses. Dark Moon is mission based, kinda like Mario 64 without a hub- you select a mission and go into the level and complete the challenge at hand. Then you select a new mission and go back to the same level and have a new challenge, and maybe some things are a bit different. The original, you get to walk around whatever parts of the Mansion you have unlocked whenever you want without limits. So you get to explore more on your own without the game really telling you what to do, which is nice. Though in terms of design, mechanics, and simply the amount of stuff, Dark Moon makes the original feel like a tech demo.

In terms of environments, the firts game is one mansion. You get different kinds of rooms in the mansion with various different kinds of ghosts and things in 'em. Yu get to go outdoors, attics, basements, and various things, so it doesn't feel too repetitive or anything but it's not like Dark Moon where you straight up find yourself in new worlds in the form of different mansions.

One thing the original definitely has over Dark Moon is a very special atmosphere and charm that Dark Moon doesn't quite recapture. OG manages to feel sufficiently spooky, (though not legit scary, this is of course still Mario) and feels like Luigi exploring a real big fat haunted house. Dark Moon has nice atmosphere, but it feels like it's been run through a bit of that Mario filter that was oh so common in the 3DS/Wii U era that they seem to be getting out of these days. Luigi's Mansion on Gamecube really felt like something special of its own, and Dark Moon doesn't unfortunately quite recapture that.

So there's pros and cons to both, and they're both great games, but everyone who's played 'em both has a clear preference. 

Which is why we need a third one on Switch to take the best of both and be the definitive Luigi's Mansion experience!

• Thumbs Up 4

Of all the announcements today, this was (for better or worse) the one I got most excited for. I never played the original and I loved Dark Moon, so it'll be great finally getting hold of this and seeing what makes some people consider it better than the sequel for myself.

• Thumbs Up 1

Meh... I rebought the Gamecube original last year, and didn't find it as fun as I remembered way back. Dark Moon's premise was more interesting with multiple mansions and such.

The original was one of my favorite games as a kid. Have yet to play the sequel, but it's in my backlog.

Admittedly, the remake being on 3DS isn't too exciting for me, but it makes sense to have the whole duology on one system, especially since the 3DS is proving to still be reasonably profitable.

I dunno if I'll get it, but I've been itching to replay the original. Hope the port is a solid one. Plus, it gives those who can't upgrade to the Switch just yet something to look forward to.

I've always thought Luigi's Mansion had aged really damn well especially considering it was a Gamecube launch title, so I don't really see me getting this. They could've just as easily ported it to a Gamecube virtual console on the Switch, but at this point I guess that's just a pipe dream. Still, having it available on modern systems is nice for those that didn't have the chance to play it back in the day.

I can't believe it's been over 16 years since the Gamecube launched...

• Thumbs Up 1

Yeah, nothings ever gonna beat the old model's slow transition from N64 to modern, it's shape is very useful in enchancing Luigi's expressions. It's also a pity the ghost aren't see-through, but that was expected. The real thing I'll miss is that cold air Luigi breathes in dark rooms, it looked so cool!

Other than those nitpicks, they translated the graphics alot better than I expected. I didn't think they could pull it off on a handheld if it can't handle all the lighting of a Gamecube game. But the places that need to be dark are dark, and the recreated lights do have some care put into them. In some cases, it looks even darker than the original. I also am impressed by the small tweaks they did make, like on the lightning.

It actually does make sense that it looks pretty decent on handheld, since they actually tested out Luigi's Mansion on the 3DS when it still in development.

Of course, it's also possible that more work will go into the graphics between now and release, given that we only have a vague date of "this year."  I wouldn't necessarily bank on it, but it could happen.

• Thumbs Up 2

I played this when the Cube was originally released, me and my brother became quite obsessed with it. If you've never played  I highly recommend the game.. Its Awesome! Just see how long it takes to get that tune stuck in your head 

• Way Past Cool 1

18 hours ago, SupahBerry said:

It actually does make sense that it looks pretty decent on handheld, since they actually tested out Luigi's Mansion on the 3DS when it still in development.

I what you meant to say was the fact that the original was planned to have stereoscopic 3D implemented, but was dummied out because such an addon to the GameCube would have cost more than the system itself.

• Thumbs Up 1

This is definitely a very cool thing.  It'll be interesting to see how those who didn't play the original take it.  While the original mansion is far bigger than even the final mansion in LM2, the game itself is very short.  Even on your first runthrough, it likely won't take more than about 4 hours, which was the main criticism of it at the time.  It is one of those odd Gamecube titles that was very short but very sweet though.  It didn't really NEED to be longer, and in fact, I think LM2 only managed to get away with being longer THANKS to the way it broke the mansions up into missions and objectives, and provided a lot of visual variety by giving us platformer-trope-themed mansions as the game went on.

Another big difference is that the original was not QUITE as creative in terms of mansion navigation.  LM2 got a lot of flak for it's mission structure, but honestly I had no issue with it, since on every mission you were achieving something notable that opened up a new part of the mansion in an interesting way that progressed the "plot" of that mansion.  In Luigi's Mansion 1, you just go from room to room, clearing out ghosts, recieving a key, and then heading to the next room that the obtained key unlocks.

On the flipside though, LM1 makes up for this by making each room memorable and unique.  The big ghosts all have their own individual character designs and puzzles required to capture them, which is where the meat of the entertainment lies.  There's a lot of other just "cool moments" in the game which don't amount to much gameplay-wise but are just entertaining in their own way.

In terms of replay value, there are the 50 Boos to collect (100%ing those is optional), and you get ranked both on individual performance on each big ghost and your overall quantity of treasure found throughout the adventure.  There's also a hard mode unlocked after clearing the game.  All in all though, I think a boss rush mode on it's own really isn't that substantial an addition, and it doesn't solve the fact that 90% of the replay value in this game does come from replaying stuff "but do it better" or "but it's harder".  Compared to LM2, the main campaign might be seen as lacking if they charge the price of a new game for this, unless you enjoy it enough to get hardcore into it.

Still, as far as "short but sweet Gamecube titles" go, I'm now kind of itching for some ports of Wario World and Kirby Air Ride.

• Thumbs Up 3

@Tailikku Yeah, that's also true. But from what I heard back at E3 2011, the idea for Dark Moon was created becuase Miyamoto "wanted to, after they used the GameCube version to create some early tests on the 3DS."

On a different note, I will like if they added new content to tie up with Dark Moon. There should be a Poltergust 5000 mode, where the mechenics work more like 2, and there are added secrets to find, like Polterpup. 

I haven't played the original game, but I did watch the comparison video GameXplain put up and so far I'm impressed by how faithful the goofier animations are. There is one that I hope gets tweaked / "fixed" though--when Luigi gets that door slammed on him he doesn't seem to get cartoonishly flattened like he does in the original (or maybe it's just toned down and therefore not as noticeable?), which is a shame because it's hilarious.

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, Celestia said:

I haven't played the original game, but I did watch the comparison video GameXplain put up and so far I'm impressed by how faithful the goofier animations are. There is one that I hope gets tweaked / "fixed" though--when Luigi gets that door slammed on him he doesn't seem to get cartoonishly flattened like he does in the original (or maybe it's just toned down and therefore not as noticeable?), which is a shame because it's hilarious.

The animation looks similar to me, just missing the part where Luigi cartoonishly falls off the wall like paper if I remember it correctly. If I had to guess, it's in the game but it cut off prematurely during the trailer.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

More screenshots, as well as all amiibo functionality explained!

00001250_13.jpg

00001250_14.jpg

00001250_15.jpg

00001250_17.jpg

00001250_18.jpg

00001250_20.jpg

As for the amiibo:

Luigi: One free revive, like Dark Moon's gold bones.

Toad: Talk to a Toad after scanning his amiibo to get a free health refill.

Mario: Translation's a bit sketchy, but I believe this turns Poison Mushrooms into Super Mushrooms that either heal you or power you up. (Most likely the former)

00001250_26.jpg

Boo: Marks up to three Boos at a time on your map. Very handy!

https://topics.nintendo.co.jp/c/article/d94cf5a2-aab2-11e8-b123-063b7ac45a6d.html

• Thumbs Up 1