Awoo.

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate - DADDY SAKURAI'S WILD RIDE HAS CONCLUDED

Sonictrainer

Just now, Forte-Metallix said:

Guys, if Sonic's gonna have a reskin, the choice is obvious:

image.jpeg.e030c08b92254c9ca4b5a52143958f64.jpeg

I don't know, Silver looks a little off in this pic.

I actually think Shadow is somewhat likely, and ONLY because third-parties typically only have one Assist Trophy. We have Knuckles now, we see no signs of Shadow, and canonizing "Echo Fighters" as a special thing kinda implies they're going to be a much bigger deal. Hence, I think Shadow is actually somewhat likely, and is the only reason I think a second Sonic character is even possible.

But I'm just expecting Shadow's AT to get announced to return later. (Especially since I'm sure Gray Fox will come back as well, meaning there's two Konami AT's.)

So, I don't know if this has been pointed out yet (I haven't seen in mentioned), but, it looks like the official Smash Bros. site is going to get daily updates.

https://www.smashbros.com/en_US/blog/index.html

Nothing new yet, just a closer look at the Launch Star item and pics from the E3 booth. But, it's good to know we'll be getting consistent tidbits and updates!

Also,

8 minutes ago, Forte-Metallix said:

Guys, if Sonic's gonna have a reskin, the choice is obvious:

image.jpeg.e030c08b92254c9ca4b5a52143958f64.jpeg

I 100% agree with this.

In all honesty though, Sakurai said himself not too expect too many new fighters, so I wouldn't get my hopes up too much on one of them being a second character from a third-party guest series. I mean, I know that Shadow is one of the most popular Sonic characters, but still. If I'm proven wrong though, then I suppose that would be neat. I'm completely neutral on the idea of Shadow being an Echo Fighter for Sonic; I'm cool with him being one, and I'm cool with him not being one.

If Sonic did get an Echo Fighter, then Shadow's chances are higher than any other character, given the similarities in body shape, proportions and abilities, not to mention his recent playability in Forces DLC and presence in Team Sonic Racing trailers. I think it's possible, but the Knuckles Assist Trophy might just mean they've expanded the variety of them.

Anyway, here's a fairly lengthy interview by GameXplain about the game. Bill Trinen is keen to emphasise that this is not a port at all, among other things:

• Thumbs Up 2

3 hours ago, Marcello said:

Fuck Shadow. Give me a Classic Sonic Echo Fighter.

Fuck no I don't want the other sonic character to be  just Sonic again. That's really boring and I get enough of that shit in the main games. 

I expect Shadow to be an echo fighter. Anyone going off of made up bullshit "rules" should have learned to let that go YEARS ago. Anyone decently popular video game character can get into Smash.

• Thumbs Up 5

Yeah, honestly... I'd greatly prefer to not have this two Sonics mess outside the main series (hell I'm praying it's not a thing in TSR either). It's just forgoing an opportunity to get another Sonic rep in as an echo fighter. We could get Shadow, Metal (better than classic but still plz no), Blaze, hell even Tails could easily be mapped over Sonic's moveset. Real talk, they're a fair number of characters that I could see taking the spot. To give it to Classic would just be... well, disappointing. He's literally the same character.

also, i'm surprised so many of you want to see classic here when he'd have the same moveset as modern... actually, strike that previous paragraph. im all for homing attacking classic

Though I fully expect Sonic to not get an echo fighter at all. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't get a new stage nor any new music tracks.

Every Sonic character is going to get in as an echo fighter, but they're going to be echos of Wario, except for Eggman, who will be an echo of Palutena.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Promotion 1
  • Chuckle 4

Real talk, all of those characters besides Metal Sonic would be disappointing as clones. Shadow has all of his Chaos powers, Blaze her fire and Tails is just completely different.

Classic Sonic is just Sonic, so his abilities would basically be the same but his body shape and size are pretty different, so he couldn't just be a skin. I don't expect him to get in, though.

For what it's worth, I'd take Classic over Metal in a non-mainline game any day. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Thumbs Up 3

1 minute ago, Pawn said:

There should be an Eggman Echo for every character

tumblr_okyowxfPz21reip2qo1_500.jpg

Oh shit! I was just about to post this:

dr_legman_by_sweecrue-dcedwog.png

Hivemind!?

• Promotion 5
  • Chuckle 1
  • My Emmerdoods 1

44 minutes ago, Marcello said:

Real talk, all of those characters besides Metal Sonic would be disappointing as clones. Shadow has all of his Chaos powers, Blaze her fire and Tails is just completely different.

In the games they quite literally play the same as Sonic with a few quirks of their own, though. You could flesh them out to play differently if you really wanted, but I could say that for all the other echos and clones in the actual game, too. It's just an easier way to get character you enjoy in the game. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Minor thing that people pointed out: has anyone noticed that both in the character banner and the game cover there's a Mr. Saturn usually near the Pikmins and not on the Mother characters?

nintendo-super-smash-bros-ultimate-1920x

f543a2b3caea4ebd8d5c3e0f8788b1e1.jpg

There are no other assist trophies, items or major assisting characters in either posters, so... what this exactly means? Unless it's a in-joke or something.

• Thumbs Up 1

Hold on, I just realized something

"In The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, Zelda is more into research than fighting, so her design is from The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds."

Exactly what fighting did she do in that game? I may need a reminder but I remember her doing jack shit for most of that game.

It's probably just a cover because they didn't want to use her BotW design (which is disappointing) but why is that the reason they came up with?

3 minutes ago, Shaddy the Zaphod said:

Exactly what fighting did she do in that game? I may need a reminder but I remember her doing jack shit for most of that game.

It's probably just a cover because they didn't want to use her BotW design (which is disappointing) but why is that the reason they came up with?

She doesn't really do fighting in any game, but it's probably a reason for there to be 4 games represented by each character (and maybe a character thing).

9 minutes ago, StaticMania said:

She doesn't really do fighting in any game, but it's probably a reason for there to be 4 games represented by each character (and maybe a character thing).

I called this. Man, I gotta start keeping score lol.

1 hour ago, Teoskaven said:

Minor thing that people pointed out: has anyone noticed that both in the character banner and the game cover there's a Mr. Saturn usually near the Pikmins and not on the Mother characters?

nintendo-super-smash-bros-ultimate-1920x

f543a2b3caea4ebd8d5c3e0f8788b1e1.jpg

There are no other assist trophies, items or major assisting characters in either posters, so... what this exactly means? Unless it's a in-joke or something.

I just realized, how come the box art doesn’t include the 3rd party characters that are present in the poster version of the art? Wii U had sonic and megaman iirc.

• Thumbs Up 1

46 minutes ago, Shaddy the Zaphod said:

Its a dumb excuse. Zelda's never done any fighting at all except in Smash and Hyrule Warriors.

Not even as Sheik in Ocarina of Time does Zelda fight. Honestly, I think BotW Zelda would've been an even better design option, because at least she's got Goddess powers that can justify her using all the powers she has in Smash.

THAT BEING SAID, I still approve of going with the LBW design. She looks SO ADORABLE with that design. But I really would've liked to have seen the BotW design in Smash as well.

• Thumbs Up 2

39 minutes ago, KHCast said:

I just realized, how come the box art doesn’t include the 3rd party characters that are present in the poster version of the art? Wii U had sonic and megaman iirc.

Nope.

4c3fc777-e296-4af1-8870-c2b7a510256f_1.7

• Thumbs Up 1

11 minutes ago, JaidynReiman said:

Its a dumb excuse. Zelda's never done any fighting at all except in Smash and Hyrule Warriors.

You left out the best Zelda. Also the worst Zelda.

But regardless, while seeing BotW Zelda in Smash would've been neat, ALBW Zelda looks great here, so I can't complain.

• Thumbs Up 1

And people said it didn't make sense for Zelda to use the Light arrows...

Wouldn't the worst Zelda be "Wand of Gamelon"...Zelda fights in that game...

• Nice Smile 1

Shoutout to TV series Zelda who while half the time is abducted kickin' and screamin', does constantly assist Link and save his ass from Ganon on several occasions.

Here's our Blue Boy in action:

Aside from the awkward freeze-frame in the thumbnail, he's looking pretty good! Reportedly Smash Ultimate is all-around faster than 4, and Sonic looks like he hits a bit harder than before! And his Super Peel-Out figure-8 is now his default running animation! (In the few milliseconds you can see him running) And it appears his Homing Attack now has a reticle!

52 minutes ago, SupahBerry said:

Shoutout to TV series Zelda who while half the time is abducted kickin' and screamin', does constantly assist Link and save his ass from Ganon on several occasions.

Nintendo tries to pretend the cartoons never happened, the closest thing you got was Luigi getting an alt based on the OVA.
If Simon Belmont gets in, any chance for a reference to Captain N will be left to the localization team only.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Way Past Cool 1

1 minute ago, Forte-Metallix said:

And his Super Peel-Out figure-8 is now his default running animation! (In the few milliseconds you can see him running) And it looks like his Homing Attack now has a reticle!

Weren't both of these already true as of Smash 4? Hell, even Brawl?

• Thumbs Up 1