Awoo.

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate - DADDY SAKURAI'S WILD RIDE HAS CONCLUDED

Sonictrainer

7 hours ago, Zaysho said:

One thing that I am curious about is that the date on the Nintendo page mentions it's February 2020, but this is character pack #4. The pass is supposed to be completed by then, so either that's a placeholder date or maybe there's something to it being a mix up for another game (though I didn't think SNK Heroines was even still getting new content).

I'm totally cool with an SNK character though. My first thought was Mai, but if it lines up with the other rumor about a girl and a mecha, then Metal Slug could be interesting too. I'm not familiar enough with their games, but this is certainly more interesting than past rumors about Doom or Overwatch or whatever.

It's a placeholder date.  It says the same thing on the eshop until the very moment a character can be downloaded 

5 minutes ago, tailsBOOM! said:

It's a placeholder date.  It says t hug e same thing on eshop until th he very moment a character can be downloaded 

Huh, really? Didn't think they listed new characters until they were ready to drop, or if they have pages they just give a vague window of when they were going to drop like "Summer" or "Fall."

I don't really check the eShop pages for updates though.

• Thumbs Up 1

17 minutes ago, tailsBOOM! said:
  Hide contents

File sizes for Nintendo DLC always have the same size listed. That doesn't hurt it.

Spoiler

Might also be worth looking at the copyright text too. Companies that are listed for DLC pack 5 are no where to be seen for 4. Admittedly there doesn't seem to be any real format these copyright text use but that is a very odd omission for something that isn't announced yet.

Honestly, I'm taking this with one big ol thing of sodium chloride.

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, Strickerx5 said:

Hide contents

Might also be worth looking at the copyright text too. Companies that are listed for DLC pack 5 are no where to be seen for 4. Admittedly there doesn't seem to be any real format these copyright text uses but that is a very odd omission for something that isn't announced yet.

Honestly, I'm taking this with one big ol thing of sodium chloride.

I mean 

Spoiler

DLC fighter five's company hasn't been on any of them, though Atlus was on Joker's final one, Square-Enix on Hero's and Microsoft on Banjo-Kazooie's.

1 minute ago, tailsBOOM! said:

I mean 

Hide contents

DLC fighter five's company hasn't been on any of them, though Atlus was on Joker's final one, Square-Enix on Hero's and Microsoft on Banjo-Kazooie's.

Spoiler

True, though I'd like to believe that not even Nintendo is that bad at keeping secrets lol

Anyways, I just find it very shaky how DLC 5 lists both Microsoft and Atlus on it yet 4 doesn't.

1 hour ago, Strickerx5 said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Huh, so that's interesting then. This all just might be a mix up.

Though then again, says a lot how odd most of these DLC choices have been for this to be gaining so much traction so quickly.

To add to that,

Challenger Pack 5 lists Microsoft and Atlus for copyright, yet pack 4 doesn't and only lists

Spoiler

SNK

even though, like pack 5, there's no character details.

https://www.nintendo.co.uk/DLC/Challenger-Pack-5-1519372.htm

Seems to point towards this being another mix-up.

Sabi the E3 leaker is seemibgly pointing to it being true (She's not allowed to say out et might because she's been threatened by the so-called Nintendo ninjas after leaking all of E3 but Nintend's, but she said she'd try her best to hint at what she knows):

Edit: Also 

Honestly if it is an SNK representative I may initially be disappointed cause I don't know em, but as long as they are fun to play as in the end I am fine. Just like with Hero. Didn't care for his reveal, but I really enjoy playing him.

• Thumbs Up 2

Spoiler

If an SNK character could make it in, I feel like it'd be Nakoruru. Little as I like her compared to other characters like Kyo, Terry, Marco (I actually like Tarma more, but you know Marco is the main character)... Well... A lot of the SNK fighting (and Metal Slug) verse. She's one of the company's mascots alongside Terry and she looks like a character you could make some fun stuff with (especially if you include her Rera persona as well), while Terry would probably be received as a "Ryu Clone", little sense as that makes.

I don't believe on this leak anyway, it was probably a goof.

That said, maybe (most likely) people were cherrypicking, but I feel watching some people's reactions to this leak removed 10 years of my lifespan.

T2B9YJL.gif

Spoiler

I mean, I know Attack on Titan is probably one of the most popular animes of this decade but please! Stop making me feel so out of touch! 😿

I'm not that old am I?

• Thumbs Up 3

Spoiler

Suddenly, I’m now hoping it’s Mai Shiranui. For some reason, it corresponds with an earlier leak about a “female fighting game character”.

I am amazed how many young people that have no idea who SNK is. But Mai would be the best pick if noting else she is the *main* mascot i feel like when most older fans think of snk as a whole or whenver the words kof is brought up.

They'd probably have to change her outfit quite a bit, or I guess pull a Lyn and just put darkness up her skirt.

38 minutes ago, Radiant Hero Ike said:

They'd probably have to change her outfit quite a bit, or I guess pull a Lyn and just put darkness up her skirt.

The could just as easily go with her “Real Bout Fatal Fury” design that slightly covers her breasts.

0CEECF0D-8F78-4E9A-96F7-02084F8F4F36.png.617c77b6f5388a1d71271bf98c7d67ad.png

• Thumbs Up 1

Spoiler

I forgot Terry was a SNK character.

Anyways, I'd be disappointed if they were actually the SNK rep, but at the same time, it also makes sense. They were the main character of one of SNK's earliest fighters, and have been heavily featured in their games since.

...But I still wanted Athena, so yeah.

A Nintendo Direct is happening tomorrow.

Whether or not Smash DLC will be mentioned is honestly anyone’s guess, as far as I’m concerned.

42 minutes ago, Perkilator said:

A Nintendo Direct is happening tomorrow.

Whether or not Smash DLC will be mentioned is honestly anyone’s guess, as far as I’m concerned.

Sabu seemed to hint it

Okay, this has awakened something terrible in me that had been properly locked for a few years so you have been warned. I'm about to flex some metaphorical muscles that haven't been used since I posted on the mlp threads.

So lets assume this leak is legit and we are given a choice as to...

Spoiler

... which SNK character is getting into the playable Hall of Fame of video games.

Now, after some developments that occurred during the day we are getting a clearer picture of who this character could be (still assuming the leak is legit in the first place), but since this post was already forming in my head way before these revelations I just can't ignore all that useless conjecture in me. I had to spill it somewhere and this forum might be as good as any other place (since my ISP is banned from posting on /v/ and I can't be bothered to appeal lul).

So lets ignore those said developments and still assume we have a chance of someone else from the company getting in, which SNK character could be and what could they bring to the table? The options that we're given are many but if we were to pick only among the most feasible (the most popular, the ones with the most legacy behind among other attributes), then we are only left with 4 choices: Kyo Kusanagi, Marco Rossi, Nakoruru and Terry Bogard. Well, not quite, actually there are more characters on this list like Haohmaru, Geese and Mai among others. But since most of them share a series with the ones mentioned before (Sorry Art of Fighting, you never had a chance) besides potential movesets they are fairly interchangeable about what they can bring to the table, and to avoid making this blogpost longer than what it'll be I'll just center among the 4 I mentioned before, so lets start in the order I mentioned them.

1) Kyo Kusanagi:

Kyo is a fairly unique character as far as fighting game protagonists go since most of them have a solid base that they stick with (Ryu will always have his Hadouken) but Kyo is not like that, he adapts to his story's circumstances and alters his moveset according to what he thinks will be his strongest techniques against his current enemies. This has changed Kyo so much across the years that different "Echo Fighters" have been made to please the fans who'd rather play as the older versions of him (EX-Kyo, Kyo-1, Kyo-2, Kusanagi, NESTS-Kyo), now we all know Sakurai is a madman and he'd probably try to include every single one of them but lets just assume the rest of the company wouldn't want him to die midwork (haha, Japan!) and we end up with the very awkward choice of what moveset should he have. Smash feels pretty limiting in this regard especially if we consider that some of Kyo's movements are supposed to be followed after a previous one and I can't wrap my head about how those would work. Also, some movements feel just plain silly to have in a platform fighter like his 75 Shiki: K-... Also, Kyo's movement names are just dumb! I'm talking about that silly jump + 2 kicks he does when you do 236+K!

... But if I were to pick, I think that when most people people think about Kyo they think KOF98 Kyo (AKA Kyo-2), so you'd end up with the Rekka's (Body Ga!) as a neutral move, his running grab as a side, his uppercut as an up and his RED Kick as a down. His final Smash would probably start as Orochinagi to hit an opponent but then switch to another, move impactful move (probably Mu Shiki).

His stage would totally be Osaka, he always ends up fighting in a different location of the city and in most of them you can always spot the SNK headquarters. Maybe you could chain some of the different versions of the stage together or make the stage transform into each one of the different versions to include some gimmicks (XIV has a chain fence which could make for a Punch Out ring esque scenario, maybe have the fight on top of the bridge from 96 be a floating arena and have the fight at the bottom of the bridge get constantly interrupted by traffic like in the Mario Kart stages. Another neat gimmick would be if you played Squad Strike you could see your teammates in the background. As for the music, Kyo ALWAYS appeared with that delicious delicious buttrock I assume most Sonic fans grew to love, just like his stage is almost always on Osaka, his theme will always be a variation of Esaka (to be more precise, the 96 version of the theme), maybe you can throw something else for variety like one of Iori's theme and KOF XIV's main theme Follow Me for publicity but Kyo's music library is stacked without any need of outside help.

As for mechanics, that's a tricky question since KOF also switches mechanics in every statement, you could have the charge meter of early orochi Saga but I can't see how that would be useful, you could make it so that you are always in "full meter" mode when you are in critical health but that sounds kinda broken? Nowadays KOF's mainstay mechanic is MAX/EX/HD mode, which enhances all of your moves (and lets you chain them in ways you couldn't outside of it but I don't see that being implemented) so maybe they can roll with that. Tho it kinda feels like we're taking of a character who is too similar to Cloud and his limits.

2) Marco Rossi:

I feel like he's the one with the least chances here but his potential is nothing short of magical! Metal Slug is a sidescroller shooter that does everything a sidescroller shooter does but with such a unique flavor that I would LOVE to see implemented in a game like Smash (the closest thing I can think of nowadays would be Cuphead),  the potential for items assist trophies and stage gimmicks is immense since you need a lot of those elements to make a good shooty game. Vehicles, enemies, weapons, sceneries, it's all there!

Unfortunately this comes at the expense of making the character's base moveset incredibly limited (since you can change it in so many ways), a base character can only use melee attacks, shoot a pistol, throw a grenade, maybe change weight class by eating a lot of food... It's kinda hard to find a "canon" moveset for this kind of characters to use as a base moveset since most of it are items and vehicles you acquire along your adventures and besides relegating all the cool weapons (and Iron Lizard) to a  luck factor like Hero (and you know how much people love that). In retrospective maybe I should have played Neogeo Battle Colliseum and Maximum Impact to check what the characters do in a fighting game before making this post... But Hindsight and whatnot.

But his stage? his stage would be AMAZING! Tanks, Monsters, Allen, Aliens! There is so much to draw from that I can't even pick one thing. And being a parody of a militaristic setting, Metal Slug's music ranges from bombastic to super intense.

3) Nakoruru:

I mentioned before that I felt that Nako was the one who had the most to bring to the table mechanic wise, and it's just that despite it's superficial simplicity Samsho brings such an unique flavor to fighting games that nowadays nearly doesn't exists. First of all, we have DAMAGE. I can see it being infuriating on a game like Smash but I'd love to see Nakoruru having a way to reflect that if you get hit with a heavy (smash?) attack in Samsho you are going to get HURT! Yet as I mentioned before I can't see how this could be implemented in Smash since in her original game heavy attacks come with a lot of drawbacks that I don't feel would translate well into Sakurai's playground.

Yet this isn't the only thing Nako has. Samsho has a very neat super bar mechanic that none of the present (and possible) fighting game characters in the game could replicate, and that's rage. Similar to Lucario's Aura, rage grants you a boost to some of your moves after receiving a certain amount of damage (among other actions), unlike Lucario tho, rage doesn't get stronger with more damage, it only triggers after a certain arbitrary amount has been reached and it's only a temporary buff. In Samsho being enraged was also the time where you could land your super special move (most of the times known as Weapon Flip Technique) but since in Smash that's usually reserved to Final Smashes I think we can forget about that. That said, this is not the only mechanic that comes with rage, since in the newer titles characters were given rage explosion. rage explosion is a manual trigger for rage, you press the buttons and your character gets a full rage meter to play with, but by doing so you pretty much sacrifice your rage meter for the rest of the game. Once that manually activated meter is gone you are no longer able to enter in rage mode nor do supers for the rest of the match.

Yet there is even more to this mechanic! Like the use of Lighting Blade (or issen) if you do rage explosion on the latest game (think of a lamer KO punch but with way more reach) or the meditation mechanic in 5 which reduced rage in favor of a time slow mode, and even the overkill mechanics used in 5SP. or even non rage related mechanics the Bust/Slash variation on 3 that pretty much became different characters in later statements. You can do so much with Nako to make her interesting besides her bird companion (which is an entire beast of her own) I geniunely feel like she's the one that can make the most complete package...

... That's it, until we look at her possible stage, Nakoruru (or any Samsho characters) would probably have the most plain stages ever, since besides destructive elements Samsho doesn't really do anything too crazy with them (well, I guess the team could get creative like they did with Suzaku castle but still). For the most part, the stage would be very pretty to look at but not have much besides it. The music would be top comfy tho.

4) Ken with a Hat Terry Bogard:

Last but not least, we have the legendary wolf himself. Or as I like to call him fighting game Sanic. Terry is the coolest dude in the block and a free spirit like very few in the videogameverse. He is extremely likeable and his character design Oozes husbando charisma juice all over the place... Yet mechanic wise I feel like he'd be too similar to other characters already present, Fatal Fury's meter mechanic does little besides separating itself between S and P power which only dictates which special move Terry can make (something that would probably be relegated to Smash Ball shenanigans anyway) gaining meter in Fatal fury doesn't do that much for you like it does in games like KOF and Samsho so if you want to get crazy with Terry you'd probably have to import his KOF versions and hope fans don't mind that much (they probably wouldn't, But I would). He follows the true and tested Shotoclone rulebook and while I'm obviously exaggerating (since each of Terry moves have nuances and quirks not repeated by similar characters) I'm not fully sure how these would translate to smash properly.

That said, I guess you could bring the TOP mechanic from Garou? I don't think that one is quite as popular but it'd be a neat way to play with the game's damage meter.

His stage on the other hand, could bring something cool with it... There is little doubt in my mind that if Terry were to join Smash he'd bring the Transcontinental Railroad with him. A stage that reaches peak SNK levels thanks to its music, the scenery of a train running through the desert at incredibly hihg speeds and Mt Rushmore being in the middle of it for whatever reason. The stage could also bring a unique FF mechanic (that I can't see Terry using on his own) and that's the Two Plane System. As the name might imply (unless your imagination goes to other Smash stages) the two plane system consists of an arena or stage having two or even three different layers that the characters can switch at will at any given moment (not sure how this would be implemented tho) making traditional combat feel more three dimensional. This together with stage knockouts are the sort of thing that makes Fatal Fury unique among other fighters and would be cool if they were to be represented properly.

Also, Terry's music ranges from what I posted above, to chill tunes and sometimes to something the Japanese version ZZ Top composed at one point in their fictional careers (they are REAL to me dammit!).

And so ends my mind rabbles. I'm sorry for having to put some of you through all of that again. So I'll be back to my cave, probably never to be seen again since I still don't believe on the leak.

ps: I forgot to mention in my previous post that in a way I can empathize to the people who don't like the possible incoming characters, since Smash used to be something when it was conceived but it turned into something completely different after Brawl and I can understand people preferring it's former style and roster over the newer ones. I don't exactly agree with it (since they are still making Nintendo specific picks like Piranha Plant, and even then people got upset), but I can understand it.

Sakurai just shared the Direct announcement with a request to watch, so we're definitely getting SOMETHING tomorrow. (Even if it's just the lowdown on the Bear and Bird's release.)

• Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, Surveillance CC14 said:

Sakurai just shared the Direct announcement with a request to watch, so we're definitely getting SOMETHING tomorrow. (Even if it's just the lowdown on the Bear and Bird's release.)

Here's the exact tweet:

COME ON TAILS MY BOY YOU CAN STILL MAKE IT IN THE NEXT PASS LET'S GOOOOO! YOU DESERVE IT THE MOOOOST AAAH....Ahem...My hopes which were already low are now rising XP.

• Fist Bump 1