Awoo.

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate - DADDY SAKURAI'S WILD RIDE HAS CONCLUDED

Sonictrainer

4 minutes ago, Zaysho said:

I'm a bit curious if this pass is essentially overflow from what they couldn't fit in to pass 1 or even the base game.

If this is the case, it makes me curious why Sakurai would say, in the case of Rex, he didn’t have time to make him, if he could have just waited or worked on him for Vol. 2. 

10 minutes ago, KHCast said:

If this is the case, it makes me curious why Sakurai would say, in the case of Rex, he didn’t have time to make him, if he could have just waited or worked on him for Vol. 2. 

I got the impression they wanted to throw XC2 a bone as soon as possible; the game did well so they popped in some tracks and wanted to do something with the character (Nia got a costume as well). I got the impression that was the case with ARMS too, just do something for now to represent the new generation, but they weren't given the priority the DLC pass had and had only planned for the one by launch.

I'm still sort of hoping we get another Xeno rep out of this, but I'm not expecting anything.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Too Many Rings 1

I'm not into Minecraft at all and I'm not gonna lie, it bugs me a little to have such an ugly and uncharismatic character shoving their way in.  Minecraft feels more like the sort of property which would've been better represented as a stage - like, there's a reason we got a stage for Super Mario Maker and not Builder Mario or the pigeon as a new character.  Having said that, I can appreciate that the vast majority of people care about playable characters far more than the environments in fighting games.  If Minecraft was gonna get represented in Smash, most players would want to do Minecraft things, not just loosely interact with Minecraft things as stage elements. This is probably making far, far more people happy than disappointed due to how popular Minecraft is so it's cool, this one ain't for me - heck, Joker and B-K were the only ones that held pre-existing appeal for me out of the existing DLC fighters, and I don't even play as them.  While this is the first one where it actively kind of bugs me and I feel like the character just somehow doesn't aesthetically "fit" in Smash, I'll get over it, and I know if I was a Minecraft fan, I wouldn't want it any other way than how they've done it.  The music sounds good at least!

• Thumbs Up 3

I'd be lying if I said that I like how Steve's visual style fits up with Ultimate's usual style. I don't think it's hugely bad in-game, but it sticks out like a sore thumb when his official render art, and even his addition to the gigantic image of Smash's library looks more like lazy photoshop work, than an actual effort to make him look good. I know that there's only so much you can do to Minecraft's graphical style, but it couldn't be that difficult to at least redraw him and give him a fairly decent shading job to fit in with the others.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Ryannumber1Scarer said:

but it sticks out like a sore thumb when his official render art, and even his addition to the gigantic image of Smash's library looks more like lazy photoshop work, than an actual effort to make him look good

I think that’s the point, and personally I prefer it that way. It’d kinda take away from what Steve is I feel if they redesigned him to fit in the smash world 

2 minutes ago, KHCast said:

I think that’s the point, and personally I prefer it that way. It’d kinda take away from what Steve is I feel if they redesigned him to fit in the smash world 

I don't think it needs to be a full on redesign, obviously, I just think they could've at least made some Smash art for him, and applied the usual Smash shading style to make him fit in. You can argue if making him stand out was the intended purpose or not, but I think it's also fair to argue that making him stand out so heavily harms it, and makes it look lazier more than anything.

• Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, Ryannumber1Scarer said:

I think it's also fair to argue that making him stand out so heavily harms it

Even that I think is still subjective. It was done likely to be funny, which I think it is, given what Minecraft is and how much of a meme Steve became, and so in this case, I think for many, the humor of just having “minecraft looking design” next to smash characters isn’t much of a big deal to them or coming off as incredibly cheap and lazy. 

I think his render is fine, though his inclusion in the mural is weird.  Either the artist did an astounding job at painting him on-model or they really did just use his model for it.  If it's the former situation, I wish the artist had been a little rougher-around-the-edges with him.

• Thumbs Up 1

*ahem*

…Okay, in all seriousness, color me pretty neutral. I didn’t want Steve at all, but…I’m not necessarily mad or even disappointed.

Honest question. Where people thinking Steve would go for a design like this? 

AAAABayHPFNuAG8kCZKfdfh9t80puZwOcJaH6w5D

Would this have fixed some of people’s issues with how he currently looks?

According to one of the Mojang co-founders, these talks actually at minimum started 5 years ago. Holy shit man haha. Imagine how long negations would have taken, if Sora ends up getting in. I believe I heard somewhere the earliest he was brought up for Smash was like Brawl or something, so like...wouldn’t be surprising to hear they’ve been working since then to do it 

I honestly do like how "out of place" Steve looks, it helps sell out unexpected his place is in all of this. That said, I can see why it turns people off and my feelings still remain purely neutral as of right now. 

I’m honestly kinda shocked people thought these were echos, considering none of the DLC in the history of Smash came with an echo, and always were just alt skins.

• Thumbs Up 2

17 minutes ago, KHCast said:

I’m honestly kinda shocked people thought these were echos, considering none of the DLC in the history of Smash came with an echo, and always were just alt skins.

Man…makes me wish Min Min at least had Ninjara as an Echo.

17 minutes ago, KHCast said:

In fairness, the typical pattern is that alt costumes have an additional colour that goes along with them (For example - Joker has three alts for his regular costume, and three alts for his uniform). The same goes for Cloud as well for example, who has alt colours for his FF7 look, and his Advent Children look. 

Since the trailer showed Steve with three alt colours, and the trailer gave Alex, Zombie, and Enderman their own posters, and obviously due to the fact that there couldn't be four versions of regular Steve, and two each for Alex, Zombie, and Enderman (Making for a total of 10 or so), it seemed to imply they were all echoes. 

It's a good thing they aren't echo fighters, but still there was a fair enough reason to assume it.

• Thumbs Up 1

25 minutes ago, Ryannumber1Scarer said:

In fairness, the typical pattern is that alt costumes have an additional colour that goes along with them (For example - Joker has three alts for his regular costume, and three alts for his uniform). The same goes for Cloud as well for example, who has alt colours for his FF7 look, and his Advent Children look. 

Joker only has 2 alts for his uniform and 6 for regular  

dc88omzxxit21.png

I get your point, but wanted to just address that. 

This character looks to be the most technical one so far, and yet they still look really, REALLY fun to play as.

I'm sure I'll despise fighting against really good Steves online like I do with Min Min, Kirby, Pikachu and the Shotos, but for now I'm keeping an open mind. Also:

unknown-43.png

• Thumbs Up 3

Not gonna lie, seeing the care and love that went into Steve has dispelled some of that "doesn't feel like they fit into Smash" aura they gave off to me before.  Absolutely wild character concept that I will never have the bother to learn to play, but amazing all the same.

• Thumbs Up 1

I’m in love with this character, they look so unique and fun. The complicated nature of them actually draws me in a lot 

I’m in love with this character, they look so unique and fun. The complicated nature of them actually draws me in a lot 

Yeah I buy all the characters anyway but I was "sold". This is probably the most complex character in the game so far. 

• Thumbs Up 3