Awoo.

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate - DADDY SAKURAI'S WILD RIDE HAS CONCLUDED

Sonictrainer

I've been disappointed with most of the second pass, and normally seeing another swordfighter would be disappointing, but consider me a hypocrite. I LOOOVE Sephiroth. I would've honestly rather had him than Cloud to begin with, so I'm extremely happy to see him join the game. We get another villain, and one with a fantastic theme song. I hope we get some FF7 Remake tunes along with him. 

I honestly thought this was a prank when it showed up on Discord. Did not see that coming at all.

Sephiroth is a great addition, and a well-deserved one at that, and I'm very happy for the Final Fantasy fans who will hopefully get the inclusion they've deserved since Smash 4. In fact, given I started FF7R, I'm already hoping they include FF7R music.

Buuuuuut that said, I can't help but feel absolutely fucking gutted by the announcement. Seph's inclusion basically means any chances of Sora (as slim as they already were) is absolutely dead in the water. I've wanted Sora in since Cloud came to Smash 4, and I thought this time, with Joker, Banjo, and so many oddball inclusions, this might've been the one. But with Sephiroth getting in, I'd imagine that's it. Between Cloud, Seph, and Hero, I can't see Square being offered up another slot, and knowing those hopes are basically completely dashed now, it stings.

Still going to hold out some hope for Crash but...I don't know. Despite this being by all accounts - the best reveal since Banjo, and I do think he's absolutely worthy of being here, this is probably the most disappointment I've felt with ANY announcement because I know it's just killed any chances of someone I really wanted in. 

So yeah, to say I feel really damn conflicted is an understatement.

• Absolutely 1

Apparently Cloud gets a new final Smash when he's facing against Sephiroth specifically!

I basically tempered my Sora expectations specifically for this reason. He’s got a lot of competition with other Square IP’s that would equally deserve a shot. 2B, Neku, another FF Rep, etc. so yeah it does stink massively, but I guess I prepped myself for it. A lot of people are still going “well he’s a disney rep” to argue he still is likely, but I mean...come on guys.

also lots of people are suggesting he could be a Mii costume, but honestly, I’d rather just not have KH period if that’s the only way he’s getting in this pass. That’d sting more to me imo

I think Sora is owned by Disney though, so I'm not sure if Sephiroth actually affects his chances. But I dunno.

I'm pretty excited for this! I certainly wasn't expecting him. Here's hoping we get actual Spirits and maybe even Mii Costumes of Tifa (Brawler) and Barret (Gunner).

We have 3 spots left. Assuming Seph does kill Sora's chances, Rex & Pyra/Mythra would be my number 1 pick, and I really hope it happens. None of the newcomers save Ridley and to an extent Joker were ones that I really wanted. Not to say they were disappointing! I like all of em. They just weren't high on my list, is all.

• Thumbs Up 1

Sephiroth was like, my number 2 pick behind Phoenix Wright after Ridley got in, so I am quite happy.

Now, all we need is the lawyer to get in, and this Smash will truly be the ultimate!

Indifferent about Sephiroth. I like the character and FFVII, but this is just FFVII in Smash again, not even a different FF game.

Nothing new or exciting for me personally. Only Smash Bros can make Minecraft Steve a more exciting character than Sephiroth. lol

And for anyone who missed the detail, yes, this has been built up over time it seems.

• Chuckle 4

know nothing about final fantasy at all and lmao i'm not even mad

i love everything about this

that was hilarious from beginning to end

especially that fakeout with mario

bonus: maxamillian dood's reaction

...Yeah I'm a little annoyed. Not angry or something, just slightly annoyed.

There are so many franchises that still don't have a single rep, even from From Square. 
Where is Sora?  "Disney won't allow"
Lara Croft? "Her last trilogy wasn't on Nintendo consoles"
Black Mage, Terra or anyone from Final Fantasy but not FF7? "Well according to data people wanted Sephiroth."

Am I being hypocrite? Of course I am.

If they announced Shadow I would be dancing and singing, on the corpses of those those poor unrepresented games. I'm just annoyed that Final Fantasy, Street Fighter and bloody Castlevania have 2 reps, while Sonic who was with Smash since Brawl is stuck with 1. We just released a movie, notice us dang it.

I don’t think it’s really about seniority status; after all, series like Zelda have also gone without any major changes to their rep besides Link and aesthetic stuff for Zelda.

At this point if another Sonic rep got in I’d be pissed off more than anything. In the base game, sure, it made sense, but it didn’t happen. I could only view Shadow showing up now as taking a SEGA spot from someone far more interesting like Arle. You can argue the same of say, Sephiroth and Sora or something, but I feel like the key difference between Shadow and Sephiroth is it’s fucking Sephiroth. 

(Frankly I also think Castlevania’s earned its two reps, so I don’t get the incredulity at it; play some Castlevania, damn) 

• Thumbs Up 1

There are already 3 SEGA characters, Sonic, Bayo and Joker. That's enough, as we said in the past, another potential Sonic characters was opted out in favor of Joker in Pass 1. Sephiroth is here, and it's amazing, makes me want to play FFVII, also, probably because Sora can't be in the game, and FF has very little representation.

I mean, Sonic characters get mods and fangames all the time, Sora is in a fangame, Geno and Waluigi are in mods (Waluigi is everywhere). Let's make things a little bit different in Ultimate.

33 minutes ago, Jack out of the comics! said:

I mean, Sonic characters get mods and fangames all the time, Sora is in a fangame, Geno and Waluigi are in mods (Waluigi is everywhere). Let's make things a little bit different in Ultimate.

By this logic, sephiroth isn’t “making things different” since he’s also in a smash fan game. (Smash Flash 1)

anyway, seems the General consensus around the Internet about Sephiroth is positive, which definitely am happy to see. He def deserves if you ask me to be in given his status as THE FF villain. The counter to Cloud, similar to Mario and Bowser, or Link and Ganondorf. Still slightly bummed about Sora, but I’ll take this for sure gladly.

Its okay to want things 

I would have taken a new Sonic character over this but this is pretty funny so i cant complain 

• Thumbs Up 1

All we need now is Dr. Eggman in to complete the BBB quadrio.

And lord knows, he's possible! Sephiroth definitely proved that when he drove his sword through the back of the "no more than one non-echo 3rd party fighter per franchise or game" fan rule.

"The Heart Wants What It Wants"

I could give you dozen of reasons why Shadow should be in Smash over Sephiroth and guess what? They would as petty, subjective and irrational as all arguments for other newcomers.

At the end of the day all that counts is 1) popularity (counted by people wanting character x), 2) Nintendo's interests and 3) legal stuff. No flowchart proving that "Smash has too many anime swordsman" will change that.

Sephiroth was kind of a teaser for the bigger something to come,but i was interested and think about it if Cloud gets a partner who else could get one.

Pac-Man and Ms.Pac Man is just one example of how Sakuri could throw us off to get us to look away from the big picture.

8 minutes ago, LeviTheGreat said:

Sephiroth was kind of a teaser for the bigger something

What are you referring to?

7 minutes ago, Jovahexeon Jax Joranvexeon said:

What are you referring to?

It all depend on how what the fans want line up with what Nintendo wants.

We should know by now Nintendo can and will be unexpected.

So when people talk about wanting big time characters like Crash or Sora.

We cant count them out because we dont know what they want we only know what we want.

All im saying is keep an open mind, be ready for the crazy and unexpected, keep in mind this isnt just for american audineces and maybe Nintendo may show a big time character, but for now we need to count our blessings.