Awoo.

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate - DADDY SAKURAI'S WILD RIDE HAS CONCLUDED

Sonictrainer

Considering the theming of the re-released Mii costumes for previous packages, i get the idea this one might include the Lloyd Irving one.

11 minutes ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

Nah, I knew Young Heihachi was in as a costume, again I just thought there was more than one Tekken costume.

Tekken & Fallout come to Smash Ultimate with new Mii fighter costumes -  Dexerto

Nah. He was all we had when he came to the game with Vault Boy.

Can't say this one means anything to me - big beefy fighting game men are pretty much as interchangable to me as the wider fanbase sees anime sword fighter men, but no biggie lol.  I still get a new opponent to fight, a new stage to fight on, and new music to listen to.

• Thumbs Up 1

As a fan of Tekken (5) I'm super happy with Kazuya's inclusion. Given Tekken's historical relevance as a 3D fighter and Bamco developing the game a Tekken fighter inclusion for Smash should had been inevitable, but it's something that ultimately faded from my mind (the fact I haven't played a Tekken after 6 probably has to do with that). So Kazuya being revealed was the equivalent of the Banjo reveal for me (unexpected but super welcome surprise)--the moment I realized Ganondorf was being bridal-carried to a volcano it immediately clicked and I got super hyped. Kazuya's also one of my favorite fighters from the series overall so I'm pretty jazzed that he got in too. Can't wait to try him out!

• Thumbs Up 1

Plot twist. All the bodies dropped into the volcano were leftovers from Sephorith's rampage that Kazuya was just cleaning up.

• Promotion 1
  • Chuckle 1

I don't play fighting games really and have super limited knowledge about Tekken but Kazuya looks sick. Really happy to see more fighting game stuff get repped and after Terry's presentation, I'm expecting Sakurai to go off about Tekken's history.

Just now, Zaysho said:

I don't play fighting games really and have super limited knowledge about Tekken but Kazuya looks sick. Really happy to see more fighting game stuff get repped and after Terry's presentation, I'm expecting Sakurai to go off about Tekken's history.

Oh you're in for a treat! Kazuya's a bonafide "hero turned villain". He was originally the series' main protagonist starting in Tekken 1.

Him throwing his sadistic old man off the same cliff is the iconic ending of his route from that game.

I kept telling myself last week since I was on a fighting game binge to pick up Tekken 7, but kept stalling cause I wasn’t a fan of the season passes, but I guess this was a sign to tell me to get the game anyway lol

the fucking bear better be in Smash somehow now 

6 minutes ago, KHCast said:

the fucking bear better be in Smash somehow now

Perhaps as a spirit of mii costume, accompanying a fighter like Phoenix Wright, his old partner from King For Another Day.

21 minutes ago, Jovahexeon Jax Joranvexeon said:

Oh you're in for a treat! Kazuya's a bonafide "hero turned villain". He was originally the series' main protagonist starting in Tekken 1.

Him throwing his sadistic old man off the same cliff is the iconic ending of his route from that game.

I watched an anime movie like... twenty years ago (Jesus Christ) and I remembered the backstory with Heihachi. Kind of assumed he was more of an anti-hero, didn't know he goes villain in later entries. Makes him sound a lot more interesting since I don't think that's super common.

2 minutes ago, Zaysho said:

I watched an anime movie like... twenty years ago (Jesus Christ) and I remembered the backstory with Heihachi. Kind of assumed he was more of an anti-hero, didn't know he goes villain in later entries. Makes him sound a lot more interesting since I don't think that's super common.

Oh yeah, he becomes just as bad if not more evil than his old man in the future.

Mishima family's flipping messed up (and yes, that includes Kazuya's wife).

So I’ll admit, I was wrong about the whole “hero protag has to be the first rep from a new franchise” thing. 

So give me Nemesis now please lol

3 minutes ago, KHCast said:

So I’ll admit, I was wrong about the whole “hero protag has to be the first rep from a new franchise” thing. 

Much as I do agree with Nemesis, Kazuya is both Tekken's resident villain, but he was also the "heroic" protagonist from its first game as well, funnily enough.

27 minutes ago, KHCast said:

I know plot of all Tekken games and I have no idea which Mishima member is protagonist. Heinachi, Kazuya or Jin.

Jin is "good one" (sorta), but newest (3rd game), and unlike other two wasn't part of iconic "throwing off the cliff" scene. And he was practically absent from last tittle.

Heihachi is probably most iconic, but 1) he's the evilest one, 2) he died in last tittle, so maybe they didn't wanted to focus on corpse 3) also he was in PlayStation All-Star Battle Royal, maybe that makes him icky  4) and you know, we have Mii costume.

Kazuya was the protagonist of first game, so that's close enough. But I think Jin should be alt skin, like Steve/Alex Minecraft.

Also keep in mind that Tekken keeps adding additional members of Mishima family (Jinpachi, Lee Chaolan, Lars, Jun, Kazumi), so maybe it's safer to stick to original bloke.

Yup, a left field choice. I should have known. 

I have zero idea who this person is however (only identifying the Tekken logo at the end of the reveal) so it doesn't mean all that much to me. It's cool for Tekken fans I guess.

Personally I'd rather less actual fighting game characters are added into smash - the game is the antithesis of the very genre with the emphasis being on characters you wouldn't ordinarily expect to turn up for a brawl after all.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Son-icka said:

Personally I'd rather less actual fighting game characters are added into smash - the game is the antithesis of the very genre with the emphasis being on characters you wouldn't ordinarily expect to turn up for a brawl after all.

well, there are enough silly characters in smash bros that the unexpected...is fighting game characters now.

• Promotion 1
  • Chuckle 2

Hard to really say Kazuya is the bona-fide Tekken villain - it changes every game. Some games have Kazuya as the protag, some have Heihachi, some have Jin, etc. Up until Tekken 7, the only thing that really defined anyone as a villain is "whoever screwed over a member of the Mishima family in the last game is probably the villain this time". Been a bit sketchy since I went through the Tekken lore, but IIRC:

For context's sake:

Tekken 1 has Kazuya accepting the Devil Gene and raising up from the volcano to take on Heihachi and get vengeance for his last fall.

Tekken 2 has Kazuya - having now achieved his goals and taking over the Mishima fortune being corrupted by the Devil Gene and becoming as bad, if not worse than Heihachi was. Heihachi rises from the volcano and becomes the protag as he fights to usurp Kazuya and get revenge.

Tekken 3 has Heihachi in the role as the semi-villain again as he manipulates Jin (Kazuya's son) to train against his mother's murderer (Ogre), as Heihachi wishes to capture Ogre to extract it's power. In the end, Heihachi backstabs Jin, killing him, only for Jin to revive using the Devil Gene inherited from Kazuya.

Tekken 4 has both Jin and Kazuya as the "protags" in a sense, as Heihachi successfully extracts Ogre's power and holds the fourth King of Iron Fist tournament in order to lure and kill both of them. Kazuya ultimately becomes the victor but spares Heihachi's life this time.

Tekken 5 has Jinpachi setting the events in motion in order to attempt to eliminate Heihachi and Kazuya, apparently 'successfully' killing Heihachi for a time, with Jin as the protag this time, I believe.

Tekken 6 is somewhat sketchy with both Jin and Kazuya running two companies, and Jin waging war against other nations, but he ultimately reveals that he was attempting to use the war to lure out Azazel - a demonic monster responsible for the Devil Gene so Jin can eliminate him so the world can be freed from the demon.

Tekken 7 is where things get even dicier, and there isn't really a true villain, other than Akuma and Kazumi. Heihachi, Kazuya, and Jin all pull some pretty dickish shit during Tekken 7's campaign and it's difficult to say if there's a true protag. The game does do a bit to try humanise Heihachi through his interactions with Kazumi and flashbacks to his past, before Kazuya was born - so he at least seems to be the central character of 7, but the story as a whole is about how fucked the Mishima family is.

If anyone, Heihachi's probably the de-facto villain, having been the first, and having appeared in most of the games. He's usually who springs to mind as the immediate villain of the series to me at least, although it's probably more proper to say that the Mishimas as a whole are the villains, with exception to Jin, most of the time.

I'm gonna be severely disappointed if they only add main series OSTs and not anything from Tekken Tag, because it's soundtrack is sick.

I want a step forward from even there: the Ogre theme remix from Street Fighter x Tekken.

Now that Danganronpa's on the Switch, how would you feel about a hypothetical Spirit Event? The Spirits I had in mind are:

• Makoto & Kyoko
  • Hajime & Chiaki
  • Kaede & Shuichi
  • Monokuma

9 minutes ago, Jingilator said:

Now that Danganronpa's on the Switch, how would you feel about a hypothetical Spirit Event?

Sure, I wouldn't mind a spirit event for that series. Especially if it's before the final fighter of Season Pass 2 is revealed. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Is it a hot take to say I prefer Charizard as a stand-alone like in Sm4sh vs Pokemon Trainer overall? Like I’m still a bit miffed there wasn’t a toggle that allowed for that. Since he was his own character, it feels only fair given the whole “everyone is here” slogan, since in Ultimate he feels a bit neutered.