Awoo.

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate - DADDY SAKURAI'S WILD RIDE HAS CONCLUDED

Sonictrainer

The only characters I would've really liked to have seen in base are probably Geno and Elma. Geno would've fit right along thematically with all the fanservicey inclusions the game was getting (Ridley, K. Rool, Isabelle, Chrom) and I do think it's a shame he never made it. I'm kinda sad he doesn't even get an upgraded costume to make up for it. I wanted Elma in the Smash 4 ballot, I like Xenoblade and want more Xeno stuff in general. I guess Shadow too just because it's still a bit weird he wasn't there considering the weird overselling on "echoes" pre-release but I stopped caring pretty quickly.

As far as the final pass goes, I'll still say Sora as the popular pick just because I want to see how things shake out. If given a real choice, probably a Clover rep (Capcom) like Amaterasu or Viewtiful Joe, or a Chrono Trigger character. Hell, I'll second Sirfetch'd just because it's cool and how funny it'd be.

• Thumbs Up 2

Honestly, I've been thinking for a while that I could get behind Sirfetch'd as a Generation VIII Pokemon representative.  There just doesn't seem to be that much excitement behind anyone else, merely a weary resignation to it being probably Cinderace or nothing, so going for a more unexpected Pokemon with bags of character and finally fulfilled potential seems like a much more interesting choice.  I don't really have a "most wanted character", but Sirfetch'd might be my "most wanted Pokemon", at least of those I think are halfway realistic choices (Corviknight is probably out of the question).

• Thumbs Up 3

For the base game, I really truly thought Shadow was a shoe-in for Sonic as soon as Echo Fighters were made a big thing of.  In the end I was disappointed we really didn't get many of those (and that they were so inconsistent to boot, with some Echos being closer to clones and some clones being closer to Echos).  Beyond that I was pretty satisfied with the roster.

CP11 is hard... I really don't think any of my wishlist picks that would significantly mean something to me have a chance.

• Aloy from Horizon Zero Dawn (my current number 1 choice who I wasn't familiar with at the time I made my graphical wishlist back in the day), 2B from Nier and Alyx from Half-Life have next to zero association with Nintendo, and I think at this point Half-Life is becoming a bit of a cult franchise beloved by the majority of older gamers but is slipping out of the mainstream consciousness thanks to the only new release in decades being VR-exclusive (fantastic as it was).
  • Marina from Mischief Makers and Jade from Beyond Good and Evil are too obscure (and my relationship with BG&E has soured from the abysmal mess of the sequel situation and Ubisoft being a terrible company).
  • D.va from Overwatch was on my wishlist way back when the second wave was announced, and I still think she would make a really cool character mechanically but I admit I no longer care about the IP (again, thanks to Activision Blizzard being a terrible company).
  • Shantae got in already via deluxe Mii costume and if the more popular Shovel Knight only made Assist Trophy, I always felt she never had a chance to be playable, so really the Mii costume is still a fantastic surprise (I just wish all the "misc" music wasn't tied to the wacky "Nintendo" themed stages).

I don't have any connection with Master Chief, Doomguy, Sora or Crash Bandicoot, but I'd respect those choices and be happy for the huge proportion of people that such inclusions would have meaning for, and with what major players they are in the gaming space, I think they are all worthy of Smash (I admit though, Sora would feel a LITTLE weird to me due to it's Disney film crossover stuff, even though that likely wouldn't show up in Smash).  Actually one character that I think stands with these guys who I never see come up much in conversation is Lara Croft... why is that?  Again, no connection for me but I'd respect it.

So with all those considered, that leaves me to look internally to Nintendo characters...  Which leaves me with only one character who is popularly requested, has no red tape making their inclusion in Smash difficult, AND would hold appeal to me.

Bandana Waddle Dee.  I'd be very happy with Bandana Waddle Dee.

I uhh... don't think they would've made the big deal out of the final fighter stream for Bandana Waddle Dee, is the only thing though, lol.

• Thumbs Up 1

For base roster, I was kinda surprised Issac didn’t get the upgrade treatment like Mac did back in Smash 4. He really felt like a perfect base roster addition, and had quite a lot of demand despite the series obscurity at this point. 

As for who I’m hoping for with CP11…well aside from the obvious one, personally, I’d love any playable RE rep ranging from one of the protagonists, to Wesker, to nemesis. Something like that for me would be awesome, and with the direct being in October, who knows, seems like perfect timing for a survival horror rep lol. Most of the other highly demanded characters like Chief, Crash, Doomguy, Waluigi, etc I’d also be pretty ecstatic and happy to see (tho I guess crash less so, given Activision). But yeah at the very top for me, is always gonna be Sora even if I’m gonna go into the direct with other characters in mind to prepare me for when it’s not him lol. 

• Thumbs Up 1

God I need Tuesday to be here already. The smash speculation scene is getting even more out of hand. I’m now seeing people online discussing a potential “leak” full of racial and homophobic slurs, ignoring that shit like that doesn’t mean a thing or discredit the leak, just to discuss to game stuff. I just…have gamers really been driven this far off the cliff?

• Absolutely 1

Can I say something unpopular? About my pick for Fighter 11.

I kinda really want Cinderace, it's something I've seen talked about on Twitter and I honestly dig it a lot.

Yeah the game already added a fire type Pokemon uh, I just wanted a Gen 8 Poke Fighter and the football player would be a great pick, better than the rest as a choice, more representative of its generation, and fun to play, probably. At this point I wish we didn't get Incineroar in favor of Cinderace later as DLC.

Anyway, my other wanted figher is... duh, Crash (and maybe Coco as a skin).

I have no interest in another Sonic fighter at this point, realistically it's not gonna happen either. So no.

Sora is the other big thing but... I don't play KH so I personally don't care. Btw, Sora is playable in SSF2 which I play a lot, he plays well there, and I kind of want more diversity between the 2 games so yeah, I'm not interested in Sora as playable in Smash Ultimate. He's great in SSF2, I suggest you play as him there, then if he becomes playable in the official game, okay, that's great too.

I also thought they got Sephiroth in the game because they could not get the rights for Sora? That was the assumption, yeah.

• Thumbs Up 1

Sora being in both games I don’t think takes away from either experience since they’d more than likely look and play wildly different from eachother. You may as well say Mario, or Simon (since he was added after the ult. Version) being in both games stifles the diversity between both games. (Plus if he got something like a Roxas alt, that would further the “diversity” between the two game I feel) At least that’s my thoughts. Him getting in ult, an official smash game, for me (and just about everyone) would be a big deal simply on the “wtf how” factor due to the Disney aspect of things. It’d be a crazy way to wrap things up to get the “impossible” character in

• Thumbs Up 1

To be clear, no matter who the final character is, I don't begrudge anyone who's happy with that choice.  Good for them if they like it, I'm just a rubbernecker who doesn't even play the game.  Almost every character I've seen suggested would be a good fit regardless of how popular they'd be, from Cinderace to Sora.  It's just that from my perspective I kind of hope it's someone weird.

Guess I'm just not interested in having Sora then, and I would rather have someone else. He's fine in SSF2 for me but I can see that his fans want him in the official game.

3 hours ago, Jack-al said:

Can I say something unpopular? About my pick for Fighter 11.

I kinda really want Cinderace, it's something I've seen talked about on Twitter and I honestly dig it a lot.

Yeah the game already added a fire type Pokemon uh, I just wanted a Gen 8 Poke Fighter and the football player would be a great pick, better than the rest as a choice, more representative of its generation, and fun to play, probably. At this point I wish we didn't get Incineroar in favor of Cinderace later as DLC.

I’m actually quite convinced Cinderace will be the final choice and have been thinking about this for quite a while too. 

Seems like we get a Starter Pokémon every 10 reveals or so anyway. 

TBH it wouldn’t be a terrible final choice being a Pokémon with football based attacks and would represent Gen 8 pretty well. If Cinderace doesn’t appear here I’m confident that the next iteration of Smash will feature them. 

But outside of Pokémon I’m parading for:

- Third Party - Crash, Spyro, Sora, Eggman, Kat/Raven or Aloy (good shout @JezMM )

- Indie Scene - Shantae, Shovel Knight, Celeste or Kena (bridge of spirits is amazing - but it would never happen this generation of smash) 

- Inside Nintendo - Waluigi, a physical Pokémon Trainer or Paper Mario (still a travesty he is not here and Doctor Mario Exists)

• Thumbs Up 1

Some last second fun speculation! This is for the people wanting to see KH get in

Okay, let’s say Sora is the final character, and let’s say Roxas is a alt for him. He’s getting 3 Mii costumes (much like FF7 got 3). Who are you picking to rep the KH Mii fighters?

I think a no brainer would be Riku, but which version, idk. KH1, KH1 Dark Riku, or KH3 Riku (or heck even DDD Riku I could all see, especially since MoM, the only KH switch game, represented Riku using that iteration of him). Regardless, that’s the first one I’m guessing

For my second guess, I’m gonna deviate from the destiny trio, and give us a Birth by Sleep character. Aqua. She’s probably the next most important keyblade wielder next to Sora, and has had I believe the most playable focus next to him. Keyblade armor Aqua would be badass, but it’ll probably be the standard outfit one. Which is fine since I love her design. If it wasn’t Aqua, it’d probably be the Lingering Will. That’s the next best BBS thing I could see.

For the last one, I’m gonna wild ball it, and guess a heartless. Specifically the Shadow. Maybe as an exclusive brawler costume? It’s the most iconic common enemy in the series, and probably the easiest to create a full body costume. (As in the Mii’s face is covered)

If not a Shadow, then I’m gonna guess the organization cloak, since I’d imagine organization XIII would get a bit of attention as well here.

2 hours ago, Son-icka said:

I’m actually quite convinced Cinderace will be the final choice and have been thinking about this for quite a while too. 

Seems like we get a Starter Pokémon every 10 reveals or so anyway. 

TBH it wouldn’t be a terrible final choice being a Pokémon with football based attacks and would represent Gen 8 pretty well. If Cinderace doesn’t appear here I’m confident that the next iteration of Smash will feature them. 

But outside of Pokémon I’m parading for:

- Third Party - Crash, Spyro, Sora, Eggman, Kat/Raven or Aloy (good shout @JezMM )

- Indie Scene - Shantae, Shovel Knight, Celeste or Kena (bridge of spirits is amazing - but it would never happen this generation of smash) 

- Inside Nintendo - Waluigi, a physical Pokémon Trainer or Paper Mario (still a travesty he is not here and Doctor Mario Exists)

I don't think there are patterns anyway, hints or anything close. 

In fact I am not convinced Cinderace is in. It could still be anyone lol

The only "rule" I believe in, is that Mii costumes deconfirm because they are basically next to playable, and probably Assist Trophies too but you never know.

I also believe in the variety pattern, for example Fighter Pass 2 has had 2 Nintendo reps, 1 from Microsoft, 1 from Square Enix, 1 from  Bandai Namco. So I would rule out anyone else from those developers, including another Nintendo character. I am convinced it's a third party.

• Chuckle 1

Since everyone else is doing lists I guess I'll do one. One more for the road, rated from scrimbo to scourge.

I've become a pretty big Crash fan over the years but out of all the platforming characters still not in Smash Rayman sticks out as the most unique to me. A little less unique now that Min Min is in the game, but I still think it'd be worth it. He has a lot of beautiful options for stages too.

Ratchet and Clank are kind of boring as characters but their arsenal would basically be the ultimate toolbox for Smash Bros. Rip the animators once sakurai decides to put the groovitron in though.

I've seen Aiai suggested a couple of times and I'd be for it, but literally all he does is roll around. I guess you can throw stuff from the party games in?

Sans, Cuphead and Shantae should have actually just been in the game instead of being costumes. I don't even care which at this point. I just want indie representation in Smash. I guess they could still go for the deep cut and dig out Quote.

One game I got addicted to over the course of Ultimate's lifespan is Katamari Damacy, so I'd like to see The Prince get into the game somehow but I have no idea how he'd play. The only idea I have is to let him roll up projectiles and items and have that change the properties of his normals/specials, but that would make him item reliant in a game where everyone refuses to play with Items on. Adding a character that's basically useless for competitive way sounds like a pretty funny way to end the game though so I still think they should do it.

I've wanted Amaterasu with the ability to draw on the stage and effect parts of it for some time now. I bet something like that would be a headache to introduce this late in the game's life, though.

VIRIDI. Put Viridi in and make her a setplay character Sakurai. Just do one for you. And me. Please.

I really like Guilty Gear, but aside from Roman Cancel Sol is pretty similar to captain falcon. I wouldn't be that excited for Ky either unless they ignored Strive and gave him back some tools from XX/XRD. A wackier choice like Zato, Faust, Ino, Jack O etc would be more interesting to me, but they go with the protagonist every time for fighters so I can't see it happening.

Dante is basically dead at this point but in the back of my mind I've always thought Nero made more sense for Smash Bros. Dante's control scheme is pretty complex but Nero only uses three buttons. He'd fit Smash like a glove, but he's kind of Devil May Cry's Silver so I can't see it going over well with fans. The increased amount of focus he got in DMC5 was already a hard pill for people to swallow. I think I'll just double back to assuming Dante will make it into the next game, hopefully with Vergil as an unlockable fighter so we can relive the ultimate boss battle. 

If I had to pick a Resident Evil character, it'd be Leon but with Resident Evil 4 specifically as the basis. That game is a lot wackier and more action oriented, and I can easily imagine stuff like rotating roster of weapons to keep people at bay with his roundhouse kick/suplex as a surprise for people who get close.

There are some other things I'd like, but they seem either too obscure(Skullgirls, Alien Soldier, The Wonderful 101), too difficult to put into the game(Titanfall, Professor Layton, The Wonderful 101) Or too dead(Mirror's Edge, NiGHTS, The Wonderful 101).

• Thumbs Up 2

The more I think about it, Resident Evil, if it happened, would likely be based on the classic designs and era. After seeing how FF7 content was handled despite the remake, I’m more convinced of that. At best, I guess spirits could represent the REmake. Won’t lie tho, I kinda really want it to be based on that more than the classic timeline since stage wise, stuff like the REmake Raccoon City Police Department with a Mr. X stage hazard, seems to good to pass on.

But I certainly wouldn’t mind RE4 Leon or RE5 Chris. (Tho I’ve warmed up to the idea of Nemesis also, and that would give us the zombie side of RE that’s been missing from smash)

Also, am I the only one perplexed by Warframe only having (technically) one spirit? Kinda surprised, Yknow, the actual Warframes themselves got no love despite them being the game seller (literally). I really hope this final wave of Mii Costumes gives us a Warframe outfit, cause dammit there’s a lot of potential there. Most likely one I could see is EASILY Excalibur Umbra. He’s the only main story Warframe I believe with heavy prominence, and cmon, he’s fucking cool looking 

2pcsq2awbfk11.jpg

Dude would make an awesome Mii swordsman costume.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Jack-al said:

I don't think there are patterns anyway, hints or anything close. 

In fact I am not convinced Cinderace is in. It could still be anyone lol

The only "rule" I believe in, is that Mii costumes deconfirm because they are basically next to playable, and probably Assist Trophies too but you never know.

I also believe in the variety pattern, for example Fighter Pass 2 has had 2 Nintendo reps, 1 from Microsoft, 1 from Square Enix, 1 from  Bandai Namco. So I would rule out anyone else from those developers, including another Nintendo character. I am convinced it's a third party.

Sorry - I was being sarcastic about the patterns, it was just a pretentious jibe due to the amount of Pokemon (specifically starter Pokemon) that make it in.

I subscribe to the “there are no rules” for inclusion, because everything gets tossed out the window at some stage.

However, I do genuinely think Cinderace is in with as much a chance as anyone else - especially if a lot of these “preselects” were made/agreed/decided upon by Nintendo over Sakurai. 

• Thumbs Up 1

This makes me think we aren't getting heavily requested characters like Crash and Sora and its gonna be a very left field pick 

• Thumbs Up 1

25 minutes ago, Soniman said:

This makes me think we aren't getting heavily requested characters like Crash and Sora and its gonna be a very left field pick 

Well, if it means Phoenix Wright, then I'm a-okay with that.

• Thumbs Up 1

I was hearing on some smash discord’s that apparently in Japan they're hella marketing the event. Not sure the validity of that, but if it’s true, that’s certainly very interesting, especially when it’s been fairly tame everywhere else 

either way, personally I don’t see that statement as any indicator of it going one way or another. If it was some popular pick, I don’t what they’d loose by saying fans should post who they think it is. We got two days left anyway, so may as well just wait until then. These news outlets are gonna squeeze for every last drop of smash speculation news they can before Tuesday lol 

• Thumbs Up 1

In all honesty, I can see what they mean about letting imaginations run wild.

A common problem with Smash speculation is a lack of imagination and confining things to only certain possible fighters,  which inevitably leads to disappointment, especially for those of narrow-minded view.

So people really do need to think outside the box.

• Thumbs Up 3

The problem is, that would also conflate with what people genuinely just want these people. People just want Sora, Waluigi, crash, chief, Doomslayer, etc. and some of those on their own, are still wild choices that the statement can still apply to. Not everyone is riding on these characters due to the rules smash fans has laid out.

(Plus if we do want to jump down the rabbit hole here for a sec, “let your imaginations run wild” could actually support a character like Sora, as many people find him impossible or barely possible realistically, so the statement could be taken to mean “even the most wild impossible things are still on the table”)

• Thumbs Up 1