Awoo.

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate - DADDY SAKURAI'S WILD RIDE HAS CONCLUDED

Sonictrainer

Now THIS is an interesting tweet from Sakurai

Given this was only said in Japanese, implying it’s directly addressing that audience, it sounds like this COULD give credence to the idea it’s a western rep. So the possibility of it being Master Chief may have just shot up a little, and fuck would that be hype. Next to Sora, Chief is one of my dream characters I want to see get into Smash….or this could be someone none of us are talking about, that’s also a very real possibility…

God Tuesday just needs to get here already

• Thumbs Up 2

5 minutes ago, KHCast said:

Now THIS is an interesting tweet from Sakurai

Given this was only said in Japanese, implying it’s directly addressing that audience, it sounds like this COULD give credence to the idea it’s a western rep. So the possibility of it being Master Chief may have just shot up a little, and fuck would that be hype. Next to Sora, Chief is one of my dream characters I want to see get into Smash….or this could be someone none of us are talking about, that’s also a very real possibility…

God Tuesday just needs to get here already

If we’re talking western reps, I’d be inclined to say Crash probably has one of the best chances. Chief is a big name in gaming, but Crash represents a massive era in Nintendo and Sony history, a rival that was partially successful for the PlayStation’s success against the Nintendo 64, and one who literally started his campaign off with driving all the way to Nintendo HQ to pick a fight outside the doors.

Him getting into Smash IMO would be one of the best reveals they could do in terms of showing how far they’ve come. It’d be a Sonic-esque reveal of these old gaming rivals crossing over for the first time. Add in the fact that this is Crash’s 25th anniversary, he’d be a western rep if that’s the angle they take, and he’s one of the more requested characters, it would be a great possibility.

Not that I’m gonna hold my breath waiting, mind you - but still.

On the topic of Resi, I wouldn’t place bets on it being Classic Resi either. The FF7 additions happened when Classic FF7 and the more contentious games were the only options, and Remake wasn’t there. Sephiroth had to follow in whatever style Cloud was in to keep it fitting as well. If we take another major crossover Resi was recently involved in - Dead by Daylight - that was based on the REmakes, using the REmake versions of Leon, Jill, and Nemesis, and including the R.P.D as a map. It also included Leon’s RE4 design and Jill’s REmake ‘Classic’ redesign as new cosmetics, so I imagine something similar would be employed here.

• Thumbs Up 1

I think the thing is, Crash is well known iirc in Japan. So I’m not sure “you might not know them” would apply to him. But could be wrong there 

Anway, my all time hopes right now for tomorrow:

1. Sora

2. Master Chief

3. Crash

With the tweet in mind, what I’m expecting:

1. A western rep (Halo, Doom, Fortnite)

2. obscure character from Nintendo (like chorus kids. Heck, maybe Geno, tho I doubt it)

3. Super left field unexpected thing like, a mobile phone game rep or something

Regardless, gonna be very excited to see what plays out. Even if it were some character or series I don’t know or care for, I’m sure Sakurai will deliver on a excellent presentation 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, KHCast said:

3. Super left field unexpected thing like, a mobile phone game rep or something

If he's talking Mobile, then I would have thought that Nintendo's own IP of Dragalia Lost probably has the highest chance.

• Thumbs Up 1

Interesting tweet, interesting deductions.  I would tend to agree that this points away from somebody who would be obvious to Japanese fans - but it does sound like it could be a character who is important to gaming history more generally.  Lara Croft, perhaps?  It seems like it's going to be another one of those uploads where Sakurai talks a lot about the character's parent series and its background in gaming history.  At the same time, though, this is almost certainly going to be his last major event talking about Smash Bros. Ultimate, so I think there's a good chance he'll also be looking back at the game in general, as a kind of retrospective.  That might also be relevant.

I’m sobering up to the realization that Sora will probably be a Mii costume at this rate if anything lol. Baffles as to why if that’s the case, since I’m sure dealing with Disney and negotiating with them was long and like pulling teeth, so all that for a Mii just seems not worth it, but ok. I’m sure Sakurai would likely explain a Sora Mii costume and why he’s a Mii instead of a fighter, like he’s sometimes done for other ones. 

Or hell, maybe he’s not even that. But hey, if Sora does surprise us and ends up being the character, I’ll gladly post a pic of me in my Sora cosplay eating a sock.

2 hours ago, Ryannumber1Scarer said:

If we’re talking western reps, I’d be inclined to say Crash probably has one of the best chances.

Not really.

@KHCast has a point that Crash is very well known in Japan. Probably even more so than Japanese-made characters like Phoenix Wright.

He's sadly one of the few western reps that such a statement most likely wouldn't apply to.

• Thumbs Up 1

So if we are to believe he means it's a character not well known in Japan, who does this rule out potentially?

8 minutes ago, Jack-al said:

So if we are to believe he means it's a character not well known in Japan, who does this rule out potentially?

Basically any currently discussed character from a Japanese game ip lol. Sora, Phoenix Wright, Resident Evil, a BUNCH of Nintendo characters, etc

Tho I’m not totally sold on them being out of the running. But I’m definitely eyeing Master Chief and Doom Slayer a bit more, especially with so much “celebration of gaming as a whole” talk

Tho hey, who knows, maybe this statement was a intentional red herring because people were guessing correctly who it was…low chance of that being the case, but still gonna throw it out there 

• Thumbs Up 1

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate DLC most wanted characters by region

This is from 2019. Honestly it makes sense if it's a Western character because of how Japan got a really good treatment: Hero, Byleth (it's in this list Japan top 10), Sephiroth (also in Japan's top 10), Pyra/Mythra, Kazuya. Dante is a Mii Costume and Monster Hunter was almost a character.

USA and Europe only got Banjo-Kazooie, Steve/Alex, a Shantae special costume, Geno costume and that's it. If not Crash, I wouldn't be surprised if it's... Rayman? Or Master Chief, yeah, although this pass already has a Microsoft representative.

I'm not sure if that statement is meant to be a hint or not, but if so it could still be a Japanese character if it's an indie or something.

Look, I just think it'd be cool if Quote made it in, okay?

• Thumbs Up 6

All I can gleam from that statement is that it's something weird. Probably the best way to end things.

• Thumbs Up 2

I feel like he's said something similar before. I don't really think there's anything to read into it, I think he's just encouraging people to let Smash hype end on a positive note and not wallow in disappointment if it's not someone you wanted.

I'm hoping it's someone weird and unexpected regardless though.

• Thumbs Up 1

Harada’s being a goddamn troll again lol. He apparently unblocked the Sora4Smash Twitter account and apparently ONLY that one out of the ones he said he was gonna block a while back. God dammit Harada, I swear to god he wants to see the world burn 

Chief might be dead (this is the 343 community manager)

Keep in mind, Minecraft’s community manager straight up lied too about Steve not happening, but still, this seems a bit specific 

On 9/28/2021 at 12:58 PM, Spookilator said:

Here's a little thing I thought of; who's your most wanted for CP11, and who do you wish was playable in the base game (not including fighters who are DLC)?

Although this was a while ago, I still wanted to toss something right in even if it is a long shot.

My most wanted character for the Pass and in general would be Amy Rose from the Sonic series since she's one of my favorites alongside Sonic himself. Plus I think she would be fun to play with her Piko Piko Hammer out in the battlefield.

20211004_232456.thumb.jpg.2b6b6e593be374af92f8352e7e02c38f.jpg

As for the base roster back in 2018, I didn't really think much on that. I sort of went with the flow when it came to news. Although I was amused at how wild the speculation gotten when it went as far as interpreting roster picks based on items in the background of the room Sakurai did his videos in. At least that's what I think I remembered from 2018. Metal Sonic sometimes crossed my mind even if I wasn't rooting for any particular character during that year.

Sakurai normally tweets in Japanese as it's his natural language, it's only special if he tweets in English such as when he requested people to stop tagging him and to announce the upcoming presentation for the English people as well.  Him tweeting that people may not recognize it doesn't necessarily mean it's for his Japanese viewers, not to mention most of the Western characters referenced in this thread have a Japanese presence lol (Heck, Crash fans always loved to bring up "Japanese Crash" nonstop, so if anything that logic would deconfirm him lol).

If it is a less recognizable character, it's either the poster child of a smaller Japanese published  like  Sol Badguy, Adol Christin, Laharl or maybe even Monokuma (Very much doubt him since Danganronpa on Nintendo consoles was a very recent development).  Either that, or maybe someone like Euden from Dragalia Lost, a Nintendo owned character who due to being from a mobile gacha isn't available in certain regions, making the "someone you might not recognize" make a ton of sense.  A final option that makes more sense that it being a massive Western character would be a more obscure or retro character who hasn't been in the limelight but Nintendo and/or Sakurai sees a reason to include them.

13 hours ago, Jack-al said:

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate DLC most wanted characters by region

This is from 2019. Honestly it makes sense if it's a Western character because of how Japan got a really good treatment: Hero, Byleth (it's in this list Japan top 10), Sephiroth (also in Japan's top 10), Pyra/Mythra, Kazuya. Dante is a Mii Costume and Monster Hunter was almost a character.

USA and Europe only got Banjo-Kazooie, Steve/Alex, a Shantae special costume, Geno costume and that's it. If not Crash, I wouldn't be surprised if it's... Rayman? Or Master Chief, yeah, although this pass already has a Microsoft representative.

And can people stop bringing that image up.  It wasn't a survey or anything, it was someone who shoddily counted replies to tweets to official accounts after Sakurai requested people to knock it off as characters were already chosen.  Plus they grouped requests together but only said it after the fact.  I swear, I've seen it so many times by now it should shown be in Statistics as how NOT to assess data lmao

• Thumbs Up 5

That survey or not, I think it’s a safe bet Sora is accurately prob one of, if not the, most requested character throughout all 3 regions probably since the Sm4sh dlc ballot. You don't get trending for 3 days straight for no reason. 

The only reason I can see them for not having Sora is the fact that Square Enix has had a rep in each fighter pack  so ending on another might be over indulgent that and the whole Disney thing 

8 minutes ago, Soniman said:

The only reason I can see them for not having Sora is the fact that Square Enix has had a rep in each fighter pack  so ending on another might be over indulgent that and the whole Disney thing 

He’s owned fully by Disney, so he’d be a Disney rep if anything, so they could get away with that on a technicality I’m sure 

Also heads up, apparently there was a potential “voice leak”, it was posted on Reddit, so not gonna take it serious, but apparently according to some people talking about it online, it’s for

Spoiler

Portal. Specifically the two bots from 2. The trailer audio is Glados talking, with some background noises and music, and the thing is…there’s a bunch of Glados voice modifiers online. So yeah…

I'm not personally buying it, but we’ll see in a few hours I guess 

I don't think it's Sora though. Because he is popular, and Sakurai explicitly said we may not know this character, especially the Japanese audience.

12 minutes ago, Jack-al said:

I don't think it's Sora though. Because he is popular, and Sakurai explicitly said we may not know this character, especially the Japanese audience.

I wasn’t arguing about it being Sora…? 

Besides, I’m taking the statement to be a general one not specific to anything personally. I think it’s him simply saying you might not personally know who it is(regardless of who it is), but should still watch. 

(Tho, talking about official tweets for a second, the smash Twitter saying stuff like “transcended boundaries” and “let your imagination run wild”  idk, sounds kinda Disney-esque to me. But that’s getting all tin foil hat.)

1 hour ago, Soniman said:

For me, it would be the fact that the Sora "leak" reminds me of the Grinch "leak" back in 2018 in the final week leading to the final trailer. And that ended up being disproved so that's why I'm skeptical about this one.