Awoo.

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate - DADDY SAKURAI'S WILD RIDE HAS CONCLUDED

Sonictrainer

I don’t mean this to be a slight against the characters themselves, and I hope this doesn’t make me come off like a dick, but I’m honestly, given the situation with the two companies, kinda glad Ubisoft and Activision didn’t get a character in Smash? Like it’d feel incredibly bitter sweet to see, like Rayman, or Crash with the current shit going on with those publishers. Like I realize, that wasn’t likely the reason they were passed on, but still. The less I’m reminded of Ubisoft and Activision, the better. I wish they’d just sell the characters and IP’s to someone else, but yeah that ain’t happening sadly…

• Thumbs Up 2

I'm still pretty sad and baffled that Ace Attorney didn't get so much as a mention in this game.

Like, thank goodness it's a character as good as Sora (another of my voted characters) getting in, so the happiness does balance things out, but it just doesn't make any sense.

• Thumbs Up 2

6 hours ago, KHCast said:

I don’t mean this to be a slight against the characters themselves, and I hope this doesn’t make me come off like a dick, but I’m honestly, given the situation with the two companies, kinda glad Ubisoft and Activision didn’t get a character in Smash? Like it’d feel incredibly bitter sweet to see, like Rayman, or Crash with the current shit going on with those publishers. Like I realize, that wasn’t likely the reason they were passed on, but still. The less I’m reminded of Ubisoft and Activision, the better. I wish they’d just sell the characters and IP’s to someone else, but yeah that ain’t happening sadly…

It would've been very unfortunate timing if Crash was the one. Hopefully in a few years when Smash 6 ever comes the controversy  will have died down and these companies will have gotten their shit together. I think Crash could make for a better "introductory" new character a la Mega Man than finale character anyway 

• Thumbs Up 1

Much as I like Crash, I'm glad we dodged the bullet of having to give Activision-Blizzard money via Smash in any way.

• Thumbs Up 1

You know, I was thinking about the idea of Sora having Destiny Islands as a stage, which would have potentially allowed for us to have background characters like Riku, Kairi, Tidus, Wakka, Selphie, and even the twilight town gang (they do show up there in kh3), but then that made me realize: I notice how the Square stages seem to be devoid of background characters. Sure, midgar has the summons, but in terms of actual characters you befriend? Nope. Near as I can recall, every DLC character (besides 1) outside the square Enix/Disney ones have characters in the background. Joker, Banjo, Terry, Byleth, Steve, Pyra/Mythra, Kazuya. Min min’s stage is more a competitive arena similar to Pokémon stadium so that makes sense it would just be the crowd in the back. I wonder if Square didn’t want other characters showing up on their stages. Like the heartless not even being in hollow bastion despite the emblem being there was a big shock to me.

I don’t get where these people get these shit takes from 

“after KH3, I don’t think people wanted Sora anymore”

this is some wack ass argument, cause 1. People can like a character while not liking a game from a franchise (look at Sonic being in Brawl and the hype reactions to that)

and 2. Most people are actually surprised he got in and happy with it?

Where is he getting this idea from lol Reddit? 

• Thumbs Up 1

Crash has an entire history that has nothing to do with Activision so I don't think would have bothered me.

I'm mostly just glad it wasn't him because it would have been an underwhelming last choice. I don't think Smash will ever get better than Sora for me. 

19 minutes ago, Wraith said:

Crash has an entire history that has nothing to do with Activision so I don't think would have bothered me.

It’s not that he doesn’t have a history outside Activision, it’s that he’s currently theirs so would be a Activision rep, and they’d reap the benefits from his inclusion, which like I said, given what’s been coming out about them, would just be very unsettling/monkeys paw for me. Under normal circumstances crash and Rayman in smash is a hype idea that I’d be all for 

• Thumbs Up 2

One could make the (flawed) argument of Sora being in a technical representative of Disney, the entertainment capital of capitalism who time after time tend to push their employees and creative minds in the garbage at the tip of the hat.

But of all the BS they pulled, at least the line is drawn at snooping down to Acti and Ubi's level of housing multiple sex offenders, let alone sweeping such abuse under the rug for years. And besides, Sora being divorced of most every Disney reference does prove that despite them owning the rights, it's ultimately Square Enix's creation, and they and the KH fans have the right to treat it like one of their own.

• Thumbs Up 2

There's no point in concerning yourself with the wrong people profiting off of the DLC. That's happening all the time.

• Thumbs Up 4

Crash would have definitely caused a shitstorm tho probably moreso than any other Character so.

As long as people continue giving Activision and Ubisoft shit (which unfortunately, hasn’t been happening with the latter) i guess it wouldn’t have been horrible to see those two in. I just don’t wanna see a bunch of people thanking Activision/Ubisoft over it and suddenly acting like everything is forgiven.

• Thumbs Up 2

The fact is that no matter who they chose, they obviously could not make everyone happy. That would have been impossible.

To me, Sora actually feels fitting as "the last DLC fighter for Smash": in a way that I feel not many other characters could evoke that same feeling. And I'm not even a Kingdom Hearts guy. I just know how immensely popular this request was, and how perfect it is as a bookend to this amazing loveletter to the fans that Ultimate has been.

Also as I sort of indicated in a reply to a status before, we're never going to get anything like Ultimate ever again. So I hope people eventually grow a better appreciation for all the love, time, and work that went into this game- it must have been a licensing nightmare and cost way more money than some of us will ever have in our lives. But it will never be enough to satisfy people even then, and it never was going to be.

• Thumbs Up 4

I’m looking at this and still can’t believe it’s real.

5F1DBF4A-32DD-4084-BB38-51F92CD8557D.jpeg

Also, does anyone else notice how Sora I believe is the only one with his render being designed off of pre existing models/art? You think that was potentially a mandate by Disney?

6 hours ago, Shade Vortex said:

Also as I sort of indicated in a reply to a status before, we're never going to get anything like Ultimate ever again.

We'll see if you're right about that, in due time.

Years ago, people would've said we'd never get anything like Ultimate, so the saying "Never say never", really comes into play.

Lord knows, the hype would be insane if Nintendo manage to accomplish the amazing fest and announce that Smash will never have cuts again. 

And lord knows that the Smash franchise has a long running history of proving Doubting Thomas' wrong,  time and time again.

• Thumbs Up 1

Difference is that they can't do this "bigger and better" thing forever- eventually, the amount of time, money and work put into it would not be worth the return on such a massive investment. Development bloat is a problem every big franchise eventually faces and it's already reared its ugly head for Smash Ultimate: Spirits replacing trophies, no text info on the characters for the spirits, and all sorts of other concessions had to be made for "Everyone is here" to be possible. Fact is that it just isn't logistically feasible. Even Sakurai himself warned that they probably wouldn't be able to do something like this again. They have to nip the problem in the bud before "always bigger and better" becomes the expectation, because people ARE going to be faced with a smaller roster at SOME point again (but it will likely see major gameplay changes to justify its existence).

• Thumbs Up 7

4 hours ago, Shade Vortex said:

They have to nip the problem in the bud before "always bigger and better" becomes the expectation, because people ARE going to be faced with a smaller roster at SOME point again (but it will likely see major gameplay changes to justify its existence).

Ah, the "Team Sonic Racing" maneuver.

I feel like after 20+ years of Smashing it's a little late to think about that.

I have no idea how 3rd party contracts would work but I wonder if they can just keep re-releasing this game with new waves of DLC.

Smult's roster is absolutely unprecedented and should be considered a gift to its fans, not a promise to carry over to the future indefinitely. This isn't Dragon Ball FighterZ where there's a clear line who owns what and where things come from to make it work. Companies like Square are rumored to have been difficult to work with just finishing the base roster with Cloud, and the fact that the real representation for FF7 didn't come around until after Sephiroth was added to the game two years later--including Cloud's PS1 artwork--does lend to that. Sora must have been a nightmare to figure out, let alone to be added in much better than expected circumstances no less, but we can't just expect agreements to roll over in perpetuity for every Smash game. There's multiple cooks in the kitchen with just that character, with Disney asserting ownership of him but still requiring Square and Nomura to sign off on usage.

Could they do it again? Maybe. Should we expect it? Absolutely not. My personal ideal is somehow holding things together long enough to release Smult again on the Switch's eventual successor for an encore run and then being done with it, but I would not at all begrudge Nintendo, Bamco, Sora Ltd., et al. if they couldn't make it happen. There are so many caveats involved that I don't think it's fair to expect this to continue even if they managed it this time.

• Thumbs Up 7
  • Fist Bump 1

4 minutes ago, KHCast said:

Fuck the EMMI spirit holy hell. Does anyone have any pointers for that one?

Get a heavy hitter and time smash attacks just right for when his invincibility goes down.

1 minute ago, Jovahexeon Jax Joranvexeon said:

Get a heavy hitter and time smash attacks just right for when his invincibility goes down.

Finally did it. I ended up just doing Wii Fit Trainer with a health recovery spirit attached. I took the cowards way I know lol

I've just generally been assuming that the next Smash will probably be some kind of reboot that reconsiders things like the roster and basic mechanics from the ground-up, something that's going to be different enough that the idea of bringing back anything from Ultimate wouldn't even apply because it would be effectively a different game.  If Sakurai moves on from the director's chair, an approach like that seems even more natural.  Whether or not they actually had the guts to call it "New Super Smash Bros.", that's what it would be.

They could probably get away with the "port + DLC" approach maybe once at best, but any more and it gets hard to ask people to just buy what is effectively the same game over and over, no matter how much content it has - and there's no telling whether the contracts would've been written carefully enough to eliminate that possibility anyway.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, KHCast said:

5 DAYS BOYS AND GIRLS

Spoiler

D79673F9-676F-45FC-9C35-18614E027919.jpeg

Who the hell are those guys with Sora? Where's Boat and Fruit...

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Way Past Cool 1

Didn't know there was a new Duck Hunt tech to separate the duck and dog.

• Thumbs Up 4

9 hours ago, dbzfan7 said:

Who the hell are those guys with Sora? Where's Boat and Fruit...

Oh my bad, found the finalized version Disney approved 

84CF50AE-BD8C-40CD-8ED1-758C84601E95.jpeg

• Thumbs Up 3