Awoo.

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate - DADDY SAKURAI'S WILD RIDE HAS CONCLUDED

Sonictrainer

There's always going to be a fan favorite people want for Smash. I personally was satisfied long before Sora showed up (Ryu, Terry, Joker, and Sephiroth effectively got me) but that's how it works. 

The fans whoever get in are going to be happy. 

• Thumbs Up 1

The funny thing is that the longer franchise went, the bigger expectations grew.

I mean way back I considered Smash Brawl to have everything we would ever need. And that's not counting Sonic and Snake.

I still can't comprehend that Bandana Waddle Dee was one of most demanded character.

11 minutes ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

I still can't comprehend that Bandana Waddle Dee was one of most demanded character.

Stuff like this and Waluigi always felt like the influence of Brawl in the Family and memes in western fandom rather than anything most people actually cared about, honestly.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Absolutely 1

I still haven't talked about Sora... I know very little about Kingdom Hearts, well, Sora is now one of my mains lol

I really love his playstyle, better than SSF2 to be honest, he's a very air focused character and quite light, the elemental powers are okay but I love how he's a cartoony character with a cartoonish gameplay, plus he's got all of his designs, he's becoming one of my favorites, mostly across the DLC characters, I'm honestly glad we got him in. The companion stage and music are also pretty cool.

2 hours ago, Zaysho said:

Stuff like this and Waluigi always felt like the influence of Brawl in the Family and memes in western fandom rather than anything most people actually cared about, honestly.

I don't get it either, but Bandana Waddle Dee WAS up there in Japanese polls too I think.

It kinda made sense back during a time when Smash wasn't so third-party focused with it's newcomers - with King Dedede and Meta Knight in, Bandana Waddle Dee felt like an obvious inclusion to cover the whole "main cast" of Kirby at that point.

Also ngl, Spear is one of the absolute most fun abilities from modern Kirby games, so Bandana Waddle Dee would probably play great.

• Thumbs Up 3

5 hours ago, Zaysho said:

Didn’t Sakurai actually say he wanted Geno in during Brawl? Or is he a different situation from those two?

3 minutes ago, KHCast said:

Didn’t Sakurai actually say he wanted Geno in during Brawl? Or is he a different situation from those two?

Yeah I think I've heard Geno was considered. I dunno if Square is the issue or just general priorities.

I really only hear about Waddle Dee and Waluigi in the running more or less in response to random stuff. Like Piranha Plant making people think more mook characters would join and Waluigi because Sakurai used him as a punching bag to demonstrate that ATs can be attacked. Same with how Sonic fans only started bringing up Eggman because Sephiroth was added.

Not to say there's anything inherently wrong with these characters (Jez brings up a good point about Kirby's spear ability) but they always seemed like they were brought up in response to something or because of their prevalence in memes at least wherever I looked.

• Thumbs Up 3

Real talk, Terry was in FEXL, Mai was in DOA and Geese was in Tekken so I was kinda hoping they'd do something weird for Smash Bros to keep the train going.

Terry being in FEXL is kind of, nothing, though. So I see why they did it this way.

Spoiler

Sakurai should have just treated himself and added Iori

When your Sora game is so good, you win a Major with him, and actually impress Coney, probably one of the biggest people that hates Sora being in smash 

17 minutes ago, KHCast said:

When your Sora game is so good

Oh, congratulations. 

14 minutes ago, Jovahexeon Jax Joranvexeon said:

Oh, congratulations. 

Lol not me btw, I was talking about the winner of the Major haha

So question, when/if there is a new Smash game who do you think will get cut?

I think most of the Echoes will get axed, even though theyre barely unique characters and probably would take significantly less work to bring back I just can see them really itching to put in characters like Dark Samus and Dark Pit back in. Fire Emblem is one where I think theyll get a significant downsizing, Lucina, Chrom I dont see returning, Roy MIGHT stay but that could go either way, I think Marth, Ike, Robin, Byleth and probably Corrin will be fine since they're all unique from eachother.

Third Party characters are a big one, Mega Man, Sonic, Pac Man, Steve, Kazuya, Banjo Kazooie and Ryu will PROBABLY be fine as Sakruai/Nintendo have pretty good relations with their parent companies and wont be as stingy letting them join in in future games if they wanted to bring them back. Square Enix chracters are a liscencing headache, very expensive and proobably not worth the money to bring back these characters twice or thrice, if any of them comes back I think its probably just gonna be Cloud. Snake is a hallmark as the first third party in the series but konami is konami so who knows how tough they are in dealing with. 

I think pretty much all the Nintendo newcommers will stay (DLC included) since they might want to further refine them in future games, the only exception are the Pokemon, I definelty dont see Pichu comming back, Greninja and Incineroar might be replaced by the Gen 8 and 9 (which will proobably be out by the time of the next game) reps, Lucario and Mewtwo could go either way, I think Pkmn trainer will be fine because he has nostalgia and high use as a character. And Pikachu/Puff are veterans so theyre safe

These are just some of my guesses im not going through the whole roster even though there are some randos I can see getting axed like Duck Hunt, Wii Fit or Bowser Jr but who do you think might get cut if they were to make a new game?

Licensing costs will get a lot of random third parties cut and will probably prevent ultimate from ever getting released. Hard to say who or what or why or how this early on though. Things change pretty rapidly in the gaming space. Disney could stop being tight asses about Sora a few years from now. Konami is rumored to be making a big return to the gaming space. Sega could go under etc. Anyone trying to guess at what that looks like now is wasting energy.

I think the only way forward for Smash now is a smaller roster anyway. Sakurai mentioned wanting to do air smash attacks for this game but it was "too complicated". I bet the complication was having to give each character four new fucking moves. Tone down the roster and we can finally have more serious system refinements like that. It'll feel new, and will please Smash's core audience even if the roster beggar crowd has a fit and buzzes off.

And I think the way to justify a smaller roster and make Smash feel new again is to prioritize characters that haven't actually been in these games before and modes that are more feasible when the character count is low. Sure, you probably need to keep your Marios and your Pikachus but beyond that there's a lot of unexplored territory they could cover if they just stop committing to keeping 90% of the roster in each subsequent release. No other fighting game does this because it's a logistical nightmare. It's time for Smash to work smarter and not harder.

I have no clue what they're going to do next but I encourage a "Nothing is sacred" approach.

• Thumbs Up 4

Yes; i think the next step could be something that would allow a medium-small roster of fighters to develop into new versions of themselves maybe through the single player story, but maybe they could also be activated through online play!!  maybe three or four potential versions of a character; but i guess that would come close to limiting the roster too much, even twenty base characters would be extended to a very large number of potential fighters that way, although it could be really intriguing nonetheless!!

So apparently spirit and tournament events are done and just being repeated now? If that’s true, damn, there was a lot of potential for some cool new spirit events I felt 

This. This here is pretty fucking exciting

Coney just confirmed on Hbox’s twitch that events will start up next year, and that there’s gonna be a panda x Nintendo controller of some sort 

Melee HD perhaps?

Edit: Reggie messaged Hbox, and apparently he believes Nintendo likely were pushing for this to be Ultimate only, and is in full support of melee being represented!

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, KHCast said:

Coney just confirmed on Hbox’s twitch that events will start up next year, and that there’s gonna be a panda x Nintendo controller of some sort 

Melee HD perhaps?

I would not ever hold my breath for Melee HD

• Thumbs Up 2

A melee port is more what I’m referring to in general vs like a hd remake or anything, but the monkeys paw of that would be it’s tied to some NSO service…still it’s cool to see Melee get some love from the big N.