Awoo.

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate - DADDY SAKURAI'S WILD RIDE HAS CONCLUDED

Sonictrainer

found a little error with one of the snapshots for Dracula's Castle:

SSBU-Dracula's_Castle_2.jpg

It's the fact that the Count is casting a shadow here, when he really shouldn't since he has no soul (or some fragment of one since it reincarnated as Kurusu Soma), much like how he can't cast a reflection like in the book (thus startling Harker mid-shave).

So maybe Sakurai is referencing this?

shadows+.gif

I mean why not?  The novel is canon to the series, and this film did end up influencing both SotN and LoI.

I'm just waiting for Ken, Shadow, Terry Bogard, Leon Kennedy, Doomguy, Klonoa and Crash Bandicoot to show up lol. I know some of those are highly unlikely, but I can see the first two making it in at least.

Edited by GenghisConn3
Correction

Yknow if Indie shit is now showing up, I wonder if we could possibly see some FNAF representation. I could see golden Freddy maybe as an assist.  I can totally see a potential thing he could do. He’d have his iconic lifeless position, occasionally disappear and reappear in different areas of the stage, and whoever is closest to him when he appears in his “jumpscare” mode will either get launched, or get stunned and take constant damage for like a few moments 

15 minutes ago, KHCast said:

Yknow if Indie shit is now showing up, I wonder if we could possibly see some FNAF representation. I could see golden Freddy maybe as an assist.  I can totally see a potential thing he could do. He’d have his iconic lifeless position, occasionally disappear and reappear in different areas of the stage, and whoever is closest to him when he appears in his “jumpscare” mode will either get launched, or get stunned and take constant damage for like a few moments 

Plz no

• Thumbs Up 2

7 minutes ago, GenghisConn3 said:

Plz no

I don’t see why not. Scott’s made probably just as much as a name in the indie industry as Shovel Knights creators(even getting a movie based on his franchise) and its incredibly popular with kids, Nintendo’s demographic. Even if it’s not like golden Freddy or anything crazy, FNAF getting some kind of attention seems just as believable and realistic at this point 

Just now, KHCast said:

I don’t see why not. Scott’s made probably just as much as a name in the indie industry as Shovel Knights creators. Even if it’s not like golden Freddy or anything crazy, FNAF getting some kind of attention seems just as believable and realistic at this point 

Differences are that FNAF has never been on a Nintendo console (or any console for that matter), FNAF is dead as a franchise nowadays and Shovel Knight was an actual game that fit in with NES classics like Castlevania and Megaman. Plus Shovel Knight got an Amiibo.

10 minutes ago, GenghisConn3 said:

Differences are that FNAF has never been on a Nintendo console (or any console for that matter), FNAF is dead as a franchise nowadays and Shovel Knight was an actual game that fit in with NES classics like Castlevania and Megaman. Plus Shovel Knight got an Amiibo.

Neither has Final Fantasy 7? It’s still incredibly iconic and popular regardless and still a recognizable video game franchise 

and is there any actual backing to that claim? Again, especially when it’s getting a movie. And why does relavency matter even when ice climbers are still getting in, along with other dead franchises like duck hunt.  Especially when talking about a assist trophy.:/ I mean people were wanting undertale representation way before it went to console, and people seemed okay with people wanting and asking for that 

like are we really at this point still drawing lines and saying what is and isn’t possible? When time and time again Smash has made it clear it breaks boundaries and people’s expectations?

1 minute ago, KHCast said:

Neither has Final Fantasy 7?

and is there any actual backing to that claim? And why does relavency matter even when ice climbers are still getting in, along with other dead franchises like duck hunt.  Especially when talking about a assist trophy.:/

Yeah but Cloud did appear on Nintendo consoles a couple of times, he was in that Kingdom Hearts game on GBA, he was in Theatrhythm Final Fantasy on 3DS and IIRC there was a Final Fantasy game with Cloud in it on 3DS revealed in the same direct as the Cloud trailer for SSB4, plus FF has a long history with Nintendo anyway. Yes, there are plenty of dead franchises revived in SSB, but those are always first party Nintendo reps intended to represent Nintendo's history. FNAF is just a random indie game on steam that people stopped caring about before the fifth (maybe even fourth) game came out. I think even the youngest of kids have moved onto the newest flavour-of-the-year spooky game by now.

7 minutes ago, GenghisConn3 said:

Yeah but Cloud did appear on Nintendo consoles a couple of times, he was in that Kingdom Hearts game on GBA, he was in Theatrhythm Final Fantasy on 3DS and IIRC there was a Final Fantasy game with Cloud in it on 3DS revealed in the same direct as the Cloud trailer for SSB4, plus FF has a long history with Nintendo anyway. Yes, there are plenty of dead franchises revived in SSB, but those are always first party Nintendo reps intended to represent Nintendo's history. FNAF is just a random indie game on steam that people stopped caring about before the fifth (maybe even fourth) game came out. I think even the youngest of kids have moved onto the newest flavour-of-the-year spooky game by now.

Again I’m gonna have to see actually where this “people don’t care about it” idea is coming from, cause if the constant merch is anything to go by, it’s clearly still a franchise with a large enough niche to keep producing toys, films, games, etc. it’s not just some random indie by this point, and it comes off a bit biased to call it such despite how big it’s gotten.

and I have to say this again, people were wishing and discussing potentially undertale getting in and I didn’t see this “well it’s onky on pc” argument floating around back before it landed on consoles. 

Also, small cameos is not the same as FF7 itself, hence why we see actual cloud based on ff7 along with a stage from ff7.  

At this point, Smash is more at times it feels a celebration of gaming history in general, not just Nintendo’s, so I still am not seeing a problem with FNAF as a series getting in in any way 

1 minute ago, KHCast said:

Again I’m gonna have to see actually where this “people don’t care about it” idea is coming from, cause if the constant merch is anything to go by, it’s clearly still a franchise with a large enough niche to keep producing toys, films, games, etc. it’s not just some random indie by this point, and it comes off a bit biased to call it such despite how big it’s gotten.

and I have to say this again, people were wishing and discussing potentially undertale getting in and I didn’t see this “well it’s onky on pc” argument floating around back before it landed on consoles. 

Also, small cameos is not the same as FF7 itself, hence why we see actual cloud based on ff7 along with a stage from ff7.  

At this point, Smash is more a celebration of gaming history in general, not just Nintendo’s, so I still am not seeing a problem with FNAF as a series getting in in any way 

hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Is FNAF popular in Japan? That'd probably be a deciding factor. Shovel Knight was published by Nintendo in Japan too.

• Thumbs Up 4

13 minutes ago, GenghisConn3 said:

hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Hi, I know you're new here, and welcome!  But posts like this (spammy, one-word-ish posts that don't really explain anything) aren't really allowed here.  Please try to type at least a sentence of thought in future posts.  Thanks!

• Thumbs Up 1

11 minutes ago, Radiant Hero Ike said:

Is FNAF popular in Japan? That'd probably be a deciding factor. Shovel Knight was published by Nintendo in Japan too.

Hmm that’s a decent point I didn’t take into account. I’m not sure. Is steam in general, a popular service in japan?

• Thumbs Up 1

FNAF is kinda lame. Despite having discussed it with others at some length I realized at one point that it left no lasting impression on me, and it just generally had very little substance overall, even disregarding the reliance on cheap jumpscares. I can think of a dozen other indies that deserve to be smash over any of that series, maybe more.

9 minutes ago, Shaddy the Zaphod said:

FNAF is kinda lame. Despite having discussed it with others at some length I realized at one point that it left no lasting impression on me, and it just generally had very little substance overall, even disregarding the reliance on cheap jumpscares. I can think of a dozen other indies that deserve to be smash over any of that series, maybe more.

If you’re referring to the gameplay sure I can agree it’s pretty shallow, though it’s lore is what probably makes it for many, as it’s pretty deep and compelling when you start connecting each of the games to eachother and try and find the overarching storyline. I’m still going to have to disagree with the notion of something not “deserving a spot” when the likes of ice climbers, a pretty boring game imo, have been represented. FNAF is in itself a pretty recognizable by now and large series with a fairly sizable fan base. I personally think there’s no harm in seeing it represented via assist trophy or something of the like 

Im any case, I’ve mainly got my mind on Skull Kid and Sora. The former more and more seeming a legit possibility if the leaks and lack of his assist trophy are anything to go by

Yeah....I don't think so. Obviously this is opinions and all, but there was nothing for me to find no matter how hard I stared at those faded purple wiki pages. That was the only resource I could use, since the games didn't deliver anything in a manner that could be reliably checked uninterrupted, and the whole thing reeked of just being written piece by piece with no real end in mind. Like a modern version Deus Ex's timed emails, except without the character personalities, social commentary or explosions.

More importantly, even if I did think FNAF were a good game, I'd still probably put tons of other games in front of it in the line to get into Smash. If anything was most likely it'd be Cave Story. The whole "The most famous Japanese indie game of all time which is on every Nintendo console since the Wii" aspect really pushes it up there.

The games are meant to be cryptic, the story is more or less hidden behind the scenes and it’s mainky the subtle stuff around you that you’ll see that are supposed to fill in the pages(the most recent game I’d also say has the most charm and personality, perhaps sister location as well. So if the first game left a bad taste in your mouth, you might get more from those.). Honestly, if you watch matt pat’s game theory videos on it you’ll get a fairly good idea on how deep the lore actually goes. It’s meant more to be akin to like a mystery more than something that say, is meant to be a social commentary, of which FNAF definitely is not lol. (The FNAF vids are like the only recommendable videos from that guy)

but that’s a bit off topic, I’ll agree that if japan doesn’t really care much for it, that’s the make or break regardless 

45 minutes ago, Tara said:

Hi, I know you're new here, and welcome!  But posts like this (spammy, one-word-ish posts that don't really explain anything) aren't really allowed here.  Please try to type at least a sentence of thought in future posts.  Thanks!

Ah, I apologise for that, I'll try to remember that in the future kek.

20 minutes ago, KHCast said:

The games are meant to be cryptic, the story is more or less hidden behind the scenes and it’s mainky the subtle stuff around you that you’ll see that are supposed to fill in the pages(the most recent game I’d also say has the most charm and personality, perhaps sister location as well. So if the first game left a bad taste in your mouth, you might get more from those.). Honestly, if you watch matt pat’s game theory videos on it you’ll get a fairly good idea on how deep the lore actually goes. It’s meant more to be akin to like a mystery more than something that say, is meant to be a social commentary, of which FNAF definitely is not lol. (The FNAF vids are like the only recommendable videos from that guy)

but that’s a bit off topic, I’ll agree that if japan doesn’t really care much for it, that’s the make or break regardless 

Well I think I won't since I don't like Game Theory either. I think even a cryptic story should A. Let you see it at your leisure and B. be interesting in it's own right even if you don't fully understand everything that's going on. Evangelion and FLCL are like my favoritist animes ever and I didn't get what the hell was going on in the former without multiple rewatches and in the latter until I watched a video essay on it. But they were interesting to watch, nice to look at and had good characters. That's all I need and FNAF lacks it (well the prerendered look is ok but mostly static).

Moreover, even beyond not thinking it deserves it, I just don't really think it fits? It's a horror series whose only baseline appeal is atmosphere and sound design, with no real protagonist or even any consistent characters at all. Plucking elements out of it and shoving them into a multiplayer platformer fighting party game means all that's gone, even if it were a stage since you really can't deliver atmosphere or horror in a multiplayer game.All that'd be left was brand recognition and I can't really advocate or justify advocation for a brand I dislike.

And yeah, it's not the only game like this. Animal Crossing doesn't let you punch people in the face either, but I can at least chock that up to Nintendo's derth of recognizable first-part IPs and nepotism toward most of what they DID have in the era 4 was developed. Either way I wouldn't want MORE of it. I thought it was stupid hearing there were scrapped plans for Rhythm Heaven stuff too.

3 hours ago, Blacklightning said:

Well so long as we're talking Sonic characters again I might as well get my cliff notes in. Shadow's fine as an Echo, I still kinda want Tails and although I wouldn't complain about playable Eggman, I still think he's much better suited to being a boss character than anything else. If we got even just two out of the three I'd be stoked, but frankly I'm not getting my hopes up.

I'd be down with this. A Smashified Giant Egg Robo or something would be pretty great (so long as he popped out to say hello now and then).

Also, I'm wondering if we'll get a reveal of Shadow and Black Shadow from F-Zero at the same time. A trailer that begins with Sonic and Falcon racing, only for their dark counterparts to enter the fray, would be lovely. Of course, there hasn't been a CGI trailer for an Echo Fighter so far, so it's unlikely. Maybe if an entirely new character was included?

I just want Sonic to finally show up in one of these beautiful sequences, damn it.

• Thumbs Up 3

18 minutes ago, Shaddy the Zaphod said:

Moreover, even beyond not thinking it deserves it, I just don't really think it fits? It's a horror series whose only baseline appeal is atmosphere and sound design, with no real protagonist or even any consistent characters at all. Plucking elements out of it and shoving them into a multiplayer platformer fighting party game means all that's gone, even if it were a stage since you really can't deliver atmosphere or horror in a multiplayer game.All that'd be left was brand recognition and I can't really advocate or justify advocation for a brand I dislike

I’d argue Freddy himself in all his forms is still at the core a recognizable character, they’re all based in some fashion off the original Freddy fazbear, and springtrap is the obvious antagonist as well, he’s purple guy possessing the suit. So I’d argue you could at least with a simple assist trophy still retain some semblance of who these characters are and what the series is. I mean FNAF world was an rpg and still retained some elements from the source material despite the genre and art shift. I’m sure a party game like smash could still find a way to incorporate elements from FNAF into a quick assist trophy. I already threw out the idea of golden Freddy just fading in and out around the stage and causing players near it to get stunned in fear for a few seconds and take damage. I’m sure there’s others that could be thought up 

And yeah, it's not the only game like this. Animal Crossing doesn't let you punch people in the face either, but I can at least chock that up to Nintendo's derth of recognizable first-part IPs and nepotism toward most of what they DID have in the era 4 was developed. Either way I wouldn't want MORE of it. I thought it was stupid hearing there were scrapped plans for Rhythm Heaven stuff too

yeah I still will never understand the issue people have with non-violent franchises showing up in a party fighter I guess. I just think it’s funny for irony’s sake. 😕

I'm not sure I'd even call them characters so much as just designs, but that's all beside the point. The problem is that FNAF has so little to it beyond it's atmospheric and horror elements that in a game that is anything but either of those things, it might as well be anything. In fact, I would say ANY horror game where your character is basically helpless has no place or purpose in Smash, because the tone takes away the horror of the monster, and the gameplay takes away from the helplessness of your relation to said monster. Resident Evil would work, Slender wouldn't.

Your idea of having the character get scared doesn't make much difference to me in a series where every character is a statue and none of the battles are real. Maybe if Smash had actual interactions or chemistry between characters it'd make more sense, but as of now it doesn't.

FNAF representation in Smash seems highly unlikely.  Stepping away from questions of what is appropriate or substantial, it seems to me that the main obstacles are: 1. That the franchise has absolutely no history with Nintendo whatsoever (or indeed any console); and 2. That there simply isn't demand for FNAF representation.  Consider Shovel Knight: The game has had considerable support from Nintendo, and there was a huge buzz around Shovel Knight in relation to Smash 4; I don't doubt that the character ballot took in a lot of votes for his inclusion.  By contrast, who's asking for Freddy Fazbear in Smash?

Anyway, my congratulations to all the fans of characters and franchises which got in last night; there's no doubt that it's fan support which secured K. Rool, in particular.  I also have to say that I'm somewhat amused by Sakurai saying in the game's E3 reveal that we shouldn't expect too many newcomers, and then they just revealed five in a single half-hour last night.  Doubtless there are more to come.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, Shaddy the Zaphod said:

Your idea of having the character get scared doesn't make much difference to me in a series where every character is a statue and none of the battles are real. Maybe if Smash had actual interactions or chemistry between characters it'd make more sense, but as of now it doesn't.

I mean yeah it’s ultimately just a painted over gameplay status effect... Like characters falling asleep, getting dizzy, etc. in the game. Nonetheless, we’ve seen characters express things via their facial animations in reaction to certain things despite them just being toys. Idk, it really feels like you’re devolving the series to a cynical level of overanylzing the ground concept of smash being a battle between toys, and not giving Smash that much credit regarding its ability to have charming character interaction moments even in its gameplay.(I mean look at most pic of the days with donkey Kong.) 

8 minutes ago, FFWF said:

FNAF representation in Smash seems highly unlikely.  Stepping away from questions of what is appropriate or substantial, it seems to me that the main obstacles are: 1. That the franchise has absolutely no history with Nintendo whatsoever (or indeed any console); and 2. That there simply isn't demand for FNAF representation.  Consider Shovel Knight: The game has had considerable support from Nintendo, and there was a huge buzz around Shovel Knight in relation to Smash 4; I don't doubt that the character ballot took in a lot of votes for his inclusion.  By contrast, who's asking for Freddy Fazbear in Smash?

Anyway, my congratulations to all the fans of characters and franchises which got in last night; there's no doubt that it's fan support which secured K. Rool, in particular.  I also have to say that I'm somewhat amused by Sakurai saying in the game's E3 reveal that we shouldn't expect too many newcomers, and then they just revealed five in a single half-hour last night.  Doubtless there are more to come.

I’m definitely not saying it’s likely, but just at the rate Smash is going, it got me thinking of what FNAF would even look like if it got any kind of representation

11 minutes ago, Shaddy the Zaphod said:

I'm not sure I'd even call them characters so much as just designs, but that's all beside the point.

Last thing, well springtrap IS a actual character in the series established as such. It’s established he’s the purple guy. Aka the killer that basically created this entire mess of possessed animatronics. 

I see where you’re gettin at, but I guess I just see it differently. (Which is why I personally would laugh my ass off at slender man showing up as a assist)

1 hour ago, Pawn said:

I just want Sonic to finally show up in one of these beautiful sequences, damn it.

The last blue hero who appeared in one of these beautiful sequences ended up dead so......

• Thumbs Up 1