Awoo.

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate - DADDY SAKURAI'S WILD RIDE HAS CONCLUDED

Sonictrainer

48 minutes ago, dbzfan7 said:

The last blue hero who appeared in one of these beautiful sequences ended up dead so......

I'll take anything. Spring Man knocking him into space, Decidueye sniping him. I just want him to be in one.

I don't think Spring Man's gonna be in - ARMS was likely too late to be part of the planning document (IIRC drawn up in like, 2015) in a way that music (Snipperclips) or a stage (Odyssey) wouldn't be. Same for Xenoblade 2's protags. DLC though, sure.

I can't see Sonic being in a CG trailer either though - I wouldn't be surprised if SEGA wanted Marza to have control of Sonic's CG animated appearances. Kinda weird since DigitalFrontier (who do the Smash trailers) have done stuff for Yakuza and even Sonic Boom, but it's the only thing I can think of really.

• Thumbs Up 2

280.png

Guess we can add a bit more orange to the pie chart now.

• Thumbs Up 3

One thing that I really liked and forgot to mention was the new Pokémon introduced. I absolutely love Mimikyu, Wishiwashi and Ditto in this. Having been fatigued by the over-abundance of legendary representation, I welcome some of the more unique critters.

• Thumbs Up 4

Man I wish Sega weren't so controlling when it came to Sonic. Him not showing up in any CG trailers and getting one new remix in Brawl is lame, not to mention his relatively muted colors. Square seems to be the same with Cloud, and I wonder if him only having a JP voice is also part of it.

Anyways since Echo Fighters are a thing, if they end up adding Blaziken or something I hope Infernape could be his Echo.

Just give up, FNAF is never going to appear in Smash, the only indie game representation that I can see showing up in Smash is Minecraft and Shante (if that even qualifies as indie). I mean tbh I do hate FNAF and I really don't want to see it get any kind of representation in Smash but realistically speaking FNAF has no chance, all the characters in Smash have had some kind of history with Nintendo (Snake in Metal Gear and Snake's Revenge on NES as well as Twin Snakes on Gamecube and Cloud in the examples I listed in a previous post, might not be FF7, but it still counts overall), FNAF has never even been released outside of PC and Phones.

8 hours ago, Tracker_TD said:

I don't think Spring Man's gonna be in - ARMS was likely too late to be part of the planning document (IIRC drawn up in like, 2015) in a way that music (Snipperclips) or a stage (Odyssey) wouldn't be. Same for Xenoblade 2's protags. DLC though, sure.

When Melee came out in Japan, Roy's game wasn't even out yet.  In fact, Melee was actually released a couple of months before Binding Blade came out.

If Sakurai was willing and able to add a character to promote an upcoming game, there's no reason to believe an ARMS character can't happen just because that game came out "too recently."

I had no idea there were so few older stages yet to be added:

I'm still hoping for Pokefloats, Pac-Maze, Rainbow Road, Jungle Hijinx, and Orbital Gate Assault to return. Won't lose sleep over the others. (screw Rumble Falls)

• Thumbs Up 1

With Dark Samus being promoted, Knuckles being an AT, and with him nowhere in sight for two presentations, we all know that Shadow is all but confirmed at this point.

But the big thing is, Sakurai and co. also know that we know that Shadow is all but confirmed at this point.

Revealing only Shadow in a specific trailer, as 3rd Parties would be, would be an underwhelming revelation, something we knew was coming anyway, fan and developer alike.

Basically what I'm saying is I have the strangest feeling that Eggman is about to drop in as well. The environment seems to be just right for it.

• Thumbs Up 3

9 hours ago, Tracker_TD said:

I agree on this, i'm fully expecting ARMS characters to be relegated as DLC in the form of most likely Spring Man and other fighters like Ribbon Girl, Ninjara or Twintelle as alts a la Koopalings or echo fighters.
As for Xenoblade 2 i'd rather have Nia or Malos than Rex, but i guess being the protagonist he's the most obvious choice.

• Thumbs Up 1

Learning we're only missing a measly 15 stages from Smash Ultimate is kind of maddening tbh. So very close to a full set and yet not quite. Can understand why with some of them, but honestly I'd take modified stages that remove the individual issues over not having them at all.

• Pictochat: Do a Pictochat X like with Flat Zone
  • Pac-Maze: When you eat a pellet, use a visual effect to indicate only you are powered up and can defeat blue ghosts Jungle Hijinx: When stage morph is due to be triggered, the back layer collapses, forcing everyone to the front
  • Pyrosphere: Ditch Ridley or replace with some Ridley clone, there's one of those in the series right?
  • Miiverse: I'd be okay with this one missing, but maybe make it accessible by holding down a button combination when selecting Battlefield, as an Easter Egg

The remaining ones - Zebes/Sector Z/Icicle Mountain/Mushroom Kingdom Melee/PokéFloats/Mute City Melee/Rumble Falls/Rainbow Road/Woolly World/Orbital Gate - I really can't understand why they'd not bother with these ones. Z and Mute in particular are fan favourites, I thought.

By the way, I dunno why it took me so long to check this as an enthusiast towards Sonic getting new music, but in the Sound Test footage, he's confirmed to have 20 songs.  Worst case scenario: This includes his victory theme, and Scrap Brain, Emerald Hill and Sonic Boom return from Brawl.  If this was the case, Sonic will only be getting ONE new song.  Best case scenario: His Smash 4 playlist is carried over and his victory theme is NOT one of those 20 songs, in which case we can expect 6 new songs for him.  Hopefully remixes.  I feel Fist Bump is a shoe-in, and I'd like Studiopolis Act 1 and Sunset Heights.  I wouldn't mind swapping out a couple of existing songs too - Wonder World feels unnecessary when Windy Hill is so similar (and better). Maybe a song from Sonic Runners would be nice too - the main theme is the most obvious choice (and again is similar to but better than Wonder World AND Windy Hill in this case) but End of the Summer would be my personal biased pick that would still suit Sonic's stages.  Regardless, if we don't get remixes, it'd be nice to see the remaining tracks go out to providing a few more popular gameplay songs from across the franchise since Sonic's playlist is a bit heavy on "main vocal theme" songs. 
  • Thumbs Up 1

They went out of their way to point out that every stage in the game works with 8 players this time. Maybe they couldn't get Orbital Gate, Rumble Falls and Icicle Mountain to work well for 8 players, so instead of having the awkward situation where like 4 stages don't work with 8 player mode they just dropped the ones they didn't.

That explanation doesn't work for every missing stage though. Gonna guess it's simple as they ran out of steam. Guessing they just added and added and added stages until it got close to time to close the game up. There's always DLC. 

EDIT: Just had a thought that they committed to redoing the Melee stages visually so that's another hangup they have to deal with. Pokefloats means remodeling the Pokemon, Sector Z means redoing the entire mountain range the ship flys through etc.

• Thumbs Up 2

6 minutes ago, JezMM said:

• Pictochat: Do a Pictochat X like with Flat Zone
  • Pac-Maze: When you eat a pellet, use a visual effect to indicate only you are powered up and can defeat blue ghosts Jungle Hijinx: When stage morph is due to be triggered, the back layer collapses, forcing everyone to the front
  • Pyrosphere: Ditch Ridley or replace with some Ridley clone, there's one of those in the series right?
  • Miiverse: I'd be okay with this one missing, but maybe make it accessible by holding down a button combination when selecting Battlefield, as an Easter Egg

1) Agreed. That'd be a good compromise.

2) and 3) Yep

4) Alternately:

Spoiler

2b3.jpg

5) Miiverse was the most obvious one for the chopping block, but this would be a nice way to bring it back. Either go with Gamexplain's suggestion of doing a "best of" post compilation, or maybe have the developers write messages/post silly screenshots.

I recall Sakurai saying that not every stage is coming back, so not having these 15 out of 100+ certainly isn't a deal-breaker. (Especially now that we have K. Rool, the last important character.)

• Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, Wraith said:

They went out of their way to point out that every stage in the game works with 8 players this time. Maybe they couldn't get Orbital Gate, Rumble Falls and Icicle Mountain to work well for 8 players, so instead of having the awkward situation where like 4 stages don't work with 8 player mode they just dropped the ones they didn't.

That explanation doesn't work for every missing stage though. Gonna guess it's simple as they ran out of steam. Guessing they just added and added and added stages until it got close to time to close the game up. There's always DLC. 

It's weird because I was actually figuring that for the scrolling stages, maybe it's stage morph feature that's difficult, but then we have Rainbow Cruise to throw that out the window.  I can't really think of how anything Rumble Falls or Icicle Mountain does is different to Rainbow Cruise.  Same for 8-player Smash really.

8 hours ago, Radiant Hero Ike said:

Man I wish Sega weren't so controlling when it came to Sonic. Him not showing up in any CG trailers and getting one new remix in Brawl is lame, not to mention his relatively muted colors.

That probably explains why he had very minimal involvement (read: showing up at the last second) in the Subspace Emissary.

God, Sega sucks. 

5 minutes ago, JezMM said:

It's weird because I was actually figuring that for the scrolling stages, maybe it's stage morph feature that's difficult, but then we have Rainbow Cruise to throw that out the window.  I can't really think of how anything Rumble Falls or Icicle Mountain does is different to Rainbow Cruise.  Same for 8-player Smash really.

You're right. I forgot rainbow cruise got revealed. 

The only thing I can think of is that Icicle Mountain and Rumble Falls move faster and are a lot more busy visually than Rainbow Cruise. Other than that the only thing that comes to mind is time constraints. 

I can't see them not being in the game eventually, at any rate. There are times where I've wracked my brain over something Smash related only for Sakurai to reveal the solution was simple when he got the chance to address it. 

9 minutes ago, Wraith said:

You're right. I forgot rainbow cruise got revealed. 

The only thing I can think of is that Icicle Mountain and Rumble Falls move faster and are a lot more busy visually than Rainbow Cruise. Other than that the only thing that comes to mind is time constraints. 

I can't see them not being in the game eventually, at any rate. There are times where I've wracked my brain over something Smash related only for Sakurai to reveal the solution was simple when he got the chance to address it. 

Yeah, I'd like to see them as DLC, though at the same time I desperately want the poor man (and his team) to rest.  Having said all that though, if they can't do them ALL then I'd still be left with this tantalising "almost every stage" situation so I wouldn't lose sleep over it.  Icicle Mountain is a really rubbish stage anyway, I literally only want it for completeness sake when we're so close lol (I actually liked Rumble Falls though, unlike most it seems).

In terms of stages I actually personally want to play on in Ultimate and don't just want for inclusion's sake, Rainbow Road and Mute City are probably the only big tragedies for me.  Mute City is very nostalgic, and Rainbow Road was one of the 3DS' best stages imo.

• Thumbs Up 3

42 minutes ago, JezMM said:

Pyrosphere: Ditch Ridley or replace with some Ridley clone, there's one of those in the series right?

About that. The Ridley from Pyrosphere is actually Nemesis Ridley. Not the Ridley we all know and love,  but he's a clone bred from Ridley's remains (he'll be back from the dead eventually again. Count on it) on the Bottleship lab from Other M.

So,  if anything it's a-okay to have the two in,  one as a stage hazard, since they're two different people. 

24 minutes ago, JezMM said:

In terms of stages I actually personally want to play on in Ultimate and don't just want for inclusion's sake, Rainbow Road and Mute City are probably the only big tragedies for me.  Mute City is very nostalgic, and Rainbow Road was one of the 3DS' best stages imo.

Considering the likelihood that we still haven't seen all the stages yet,  maybe they're making new ones for each of those respectively instead of simply remastering them. 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, -Robin- said:

Basically what I'm saying is I have the strangest feeling that Eggman is about to drop in as well. The environment seems to be just right for it.

Hmm... do you think that Smash Ultimate could introduce both Drs. Eggman and Wily??   They would be very close to including most of the main antagonists, so they would probably have decided to bring them both..!

3 hours ago, Teoskaven said:

As for Xenoblade 2 i'd rather have Nia or Malos than Rex, but i guess being the protagonist he's the most obvious choice.

It'd be kinda crazy if

Spoiler

Malos was announced as Shulk's echo fighter due to him wielding a Monado with his power restored and sharing some of the same abilities. I'd still want Rex and Pyra as a duo to properly represent Xenoblade 2, but Malos as a Shulk echo would actually be pretty cool.

I mean, the game's not shy about casually throwing Mechon-Fiora into Shulk's final smash, what's another late-game spoiler?

I guess it just depends if they were considered in the planning stage, but they may not have. Xenoblade 2 likely started dev separately as X's dev was nearing its end in 2014 (the game dropped in April 2015 in Japan). If no one from that game is in the final roster, then I guess we'll see them in a DLC pack.

3 hours ago, PublicEnemy1 said:

That probably explains why he had very minimal involvement (read: showing up at the last second) in the Subspace Emissary.

God, Sega sucks. 

I thought this was because Sonic was such a late addition to Brawl. He was the only character added in 2007. I don't know if there was even time to give him a bigger role.

As for him not appearing in any CG trailers for Smash 4/Ultimate:  most of the fighters haven't. Sonic probably wasn't given a CG model because he wasn't a newcomer to Smash 4. It's  also easier to write the trailers with just Nintendo characters, if only because they don't have to ask for permission. I'm still frankly surprised that Capcom let Ridley murder Mega Man. Someone had to approve of that. 

• Thumbs Up 4

9 minutes ago, Solly said:

I'm still frankly surprised that Capcom let Ridley murder Mega Man.

Are you really? XD

• Chuckle 6

I’m still hoping for a potential cgi trailer that has cloud in it, as that’d look SOOOO good

Also just watched Etika’s video on the reveal and...I mean he really shows his youth and millennialness and this is coming from a youth/millennial lol. “I guess they put simon in as some like classic throwback pick for the old guys at like review tech or something?” paraphrasing, but like, idk, seems a bit kinda rude how he words it.

1 hour ago, KHCast said:

millennialness

Ugh, Unnecessary buzzword much?

• Thumbs Up 1