Awoo.

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate - DADDY SAKURAI'S WILD RIDE HAS CONCLUDED

Sonictrainer

Just now, mayday2592 said:

To be fair there seemed to be enough evidence to believe the leak was real. 

No there wasn't. It was a blatantly false blurry picture. And the idea that Banjo, who is owned by Microsoft, would be in a Nintendo game, was laughable. It was obviously fake just because it was claiming Banjo was going to be in. 

Honestly, besides Shadow not being in it (which he should have, not because I'm excited for him,but because he would've been na easy way to represente Sonic better), the game still seems like it's going to be great. Spirits Mode sounds like a replacement of Event Mode, it just has stickers now, which actually improves it I think. World of Light looks like it could be fun, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't miss the Kirby-ish levels from Melee and Subspace.

Piranha Plant was the most WTF character that could be made into a character, but I think he'll be fun.

The main single-player modes seem better than Smash 4's, as in they look fun

With that said, the problema with the presentation was that it was so long, but it focused on the most pointless things, stuff that's been in Smash before like Spectator mode and for some reason, Help and Brightness and Sound(I swear this going to become a meme)! It focused more on that than Games & More, which is where the bulk of 1P content is. We know about Classic, Adventure and Century Smash but where's Home-Run Contest and the other mini-games? We know they're playable since they show up on Classic Mode, so why not talk about those instead of talking about Brightness and Sound?

• Thumbs Up 1

16 minutes ago, I Love Sticks said:

- They clearly don't care for Sonic, he has lame moves, no echoes, no remixes, no decent stages.

I wouldn't say that. He's the only third party to have two stages and two assist trophies, isn't he? And wasn't Brawl delayed to fit him in? As for remixes, I wonder if SEGA is the real problem with that blind spot.

• Thumbs Up 3

Just now, Pawnkin said:

I wouldn't say that. He's the only third party to have two stages and two assist trophies, isn't he? And wasn't Brawl delayed to fit him in? As for remixes, I wonder if SEGA is the real problem there. I hope there are some nice surprises as far his music goes, though.

I would. Two stages that are boring, mostly Windy Hill. Mega Man also has 2 assists, and various first party series as well.

3 minutes ago, I Love Sticks said:

I would. Two stages that are boring, mostly Windy Hill. Mega Man also has 2 assists, and various first party series as well.

I get that Windy Hill being another Green Hill is underwhelming, but that isn't really the point.  They cared enough to make the stage design itself very different. And I thought Elec Man might have been dropped I guess.

• Thumbs Up 2

It's almost as if Sonic isn't a main character in a series built around Nintendo properties beating the hell out of each other.

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Chuckle 2

Let me get this straight. Green Hill and Windy Hill are Sonic's stages. I can get that. But do they both have the exact same music choices, from what I remember Smash 4 only added Lost Worlds theme and that was it.

It's not that, you guys are making it look like it's my only complaint. I would have liked them to describe Adventure mode better, instead of focusing on the spirits, apparently there is an actual adventure but aside from that cutscene I don't get what you do in it...

Alright, well, as someone who considers themselves a casual Smash fan, I can say that most of this wasn't relevant to me. One big piece of bad news was them getting rid of trophies. That was honestly one of the biggest reasons I ended up getting the games. Collecting them and looking through them in the gallery was a ton of fun. It was kinda the only thing I was anticipating aside from a story mode. Actually, I cared more about them then a story mode to be honest. These "spirits" don't seem like they're going to carry the same weight, which is a shame.

I wasn't too jazzed about the Spirits mode until the end when he made it more clear that it WAS an adventure mode. That wasn't too obvious at the beginning.

Also, holy cow, you guys weren't kidding about Sakurai's love for Kirby. 

Oh yeah, and Shadow's not in the game... I don't care. I wanted Tails anyway.

• Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, The Tenth Doctor said:

Let me get this straight. Green Hill and Windy Hill are Sonic's stages. I can get that. But do they both have the exact same music choices, from what I remember Smash 4 only added Lost Worlds theme and that was it.

I imagine so, or there would be very slim pickings. Either way, the song list could do with a hefty upgrade (at least outside of vocal tracks).

1 hour ago, Tornado said:

It's almost as if Sonic isn't a main character in a series built around Nintendo properties beating the hell out of each other.

Most people are probably pointing to the other non-Nintendo properties that have more stuff and saying it's unfair. 

Which, I get, to a certain extent. It's not like Sonic's the only one though. His Brawl buddy Snake doesn't seem to be getting anything else either. 

You know, I saw this coming. I'm very depressed reguardless(Sonic being the only fighter due to being a third party should not be the only excuse) , it's like Sonic Team doesn't have a single goddamn clue how to market Shadow's image as a popular new main sonic product(without playing it safe in not pissing everyone off). Or most likely they don't care and are unable to fix Shadow without distancing himself from the classic 4 cast in every main game or merchandise promotion. Shadow has recent exposure in titles that only cater to the serious side of sonic fans, not the casual side like sonic mania. It's baffling how Shadow has so much mediocre impact in the series despite being as popular as tails, his game apperances are nearly filler, his comic showings are always trying to experiment with his serious nature(with making him more comedic or a wuss) making him the opposite of his game self, he never at any circumstance gets main front covers with sonic in default covers, or the the other two like knuckles and tails(Shadow's covers just serve as alternative fanservice for specific fandom areas) because he's not a true iconic character(even in archie he really had no independent story arc or had a big focus on standing on his own as a character, without sonic characters guiding the narrative). Shadow is like the most cursed Sonic character, more so than Big the fucking Cat. He can't ever get general sonic exposure or even be marketed beyond the sonic hardcore fans.

Good lord, the salt is real.

The final fighter reveals could've been a lot better, frankly, but all things considered, it's obvious the focus has been on adjusting the existing cast, and polishing the game in general more than just adding more numbers to the roster.

That being said, it's an enormous relief that the single-player content is now significantly more substantial than Smash 4. I doubt they'll drop Event Mode as its own thing, but Spirit battles is a cool alternate take on that, with potentially hundreds of unique scenarios, and it looks a lot less grindy to acquire customisation stuff than Smash 4's equips. Also, World of Light looks enormous, and I do hope there is at least unlockable scenes, since there doesn't seem to be a standard story-driven progression, but it looks a lot more fleshed out in terms of gameplay than any other adventure mode before it (people forget that while Melee's adventure mode was neat it had only had a couple properly fleshed out platforming stages, and Subspace's environments and enemies were kinda bleh).

Trophies being gone sucks, but I'm not surprised. The increasingly escalating number of trophies is just way too much high-quality modelling work for one game.

15 minutes ago, The Tenth Doctor said:

In Ultimate, every stage shares its music with every other stage based on the same series.

But apparently there's not gonna be much of a boost in terms of Sonic tracks or new Sonic content in general because apparently either Sega is being even more of a stubborn jackass than Konami (Metal Gear is also getting new remixes) or there's still a bunch of idiotic legal problems involved with Sonic and his music stuff, according to what we've heard on the issue from Sakurai. So, blame Sega.

• Thumbs Up 3

I rewatched and it looks like Adventure Mode is turned into Event mode. There are maps but only for matches with particolar rules and some bosses, no platforming stages.

• Thumbs Up 1

Guys, I get what you're saying about Sonic and some of the other 3rd parties, but let's remember something..

Cloud.

Dude only has himself, his one stage and TWO SONGS.

Sonic's got it made compared to him.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Too Many Rings 1

1 minute ago, Waveshocker Sigma said:

Cloud.

Dude only has himself, his one stage and TWO SONG

May not even have his English voice. *tsk*

• Chuckle 1

1 minute ago, Jovahexeon Dapper Ridley said:

May not even have his English voice. *tsk*

To be fair, that's not a huge loss. Cloud's english voice has always been kinda awful. lol

Spoiler

(His Japanese one isn't much better, though, if I'm being honest. Cloud needs a new voice overall.)

• Thumbs Up 1

Sakurai can just kiss my ass. He fucking hates Sonic. Probably hates Shadow even more. Shadow at this point is not that popular, and I'm just going to accept it. Sonic Channels poll is a huge example of a vocal minority being overly vocal, not a whole representative on whats more popular for sonic fans in general. If Sonic Team had a hierarchy of noble ranks on characters the franchise would always use in games, Only Sonic and sometimes Eggman get treated like High Kings of the series, Tails is the prince and the ultimate main sonic representative of the company after Sonic and Eggman, Knuckles and Amy are also big enough to be more important over everyone making them at least regents of the Sonic Kingdom, Shadow and Rouge are just the duke and duchess of the entire series.

So yeah, it's Sega fault that Shadow isn't in this game, because obviously they won't care for him in a meaningful way beyond a quick side games and filler.

6 minutes ago, Dash Speed said:

Sakurai can just kiss my ass. He fucking hates Sonic. Probably hates Shadow even more. Shadow at this point is not that popular, and I'm just going to accept it. Sonic Channels poll is a huge example of a vocal minority being overly vocal, not a whole representative on whats more popular for sonic fans in general. If Sonic Team had a hierarchy of noble ranks on characters the franchise would always use in games, Only Sonic and sometimes Eggman get treated like High Kings of the series, Tails is the prince and the ultimate main sonic representative of the company after Sonic and Eggman, Knuckles and Amy are also big enough to be more important over everyone making them at least regents of the Sonic Kingdom, Shadow and Rouge are just the duke and duchess of the entire series.

So yeah, it's Sega fault that Shadow isn't in this game, because obviously they won't care for him in a meaningful way beyond a quick side games and filler.

I don't know why you're whining about Sakurai when it's been stated that his team's hands are tied with basically doing more with Sonic due to Sega.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Promotion 1

2 minutes ago, Dash Speed said:

This thread was getting along just fine without this fanboy whining, enough.

And I really wanted Shadow.

• Thumbs Up 8
  • Absolutely 1

Alright, so "World of Light" is called 灯火の星(Touka no Hi, lit. "Star of Light") in Japanese....

1083910264_Screenshot2018-11-01at10_52_45.png.b52cf3182b9f2cd1af925957d0f63c5f.png

"灯火の星(Tou-ka-no-Hoshi) can be read as 星のカービィ(Hoshi-no-Kirby) backwards *dry laughter* "

Oh, Sakurai....

(灯 can be read as akari, tou, hi (bi), etc... so 灯火の星--> 星の火灯=Hoshi-no-Ka-bi=Hoshi-no-Kirby=Kirby of the Stars, Japanese title for the Kirby series.)

• Thumbs Up 5

58 minutes ago, Plasme said:

No there wasn't. It was a blatantly false blurry picture. And the idea that Banjo, who is owned by Microsoft, would be in a Nintendo game, was laughable. It was obviously fake just because it was claiming Banjo was going to be in. 

Okay, let's not play this game. "My skepticism was vindicated!" is not justification to start whipping people over something that was heavily debated from the start. If it was so obvious it would have been ignored.

• Thumbs Up 9