Awoo.

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate - DADDY SAKURAI'S WILD RIDE HAS CONCLUDED

Sonictrainer

I'm one of the few who didn't find SSB4 to be super amazing; I had both versions and after awhile didn't get much of an itch to play them anymore. Stage and content-wise Brawl had it better. But Melee is still the best one imo. 

Hopefully this won't be a simple "Deluxe" port.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm gonna be honest. Right now, the only game I have on the Swith is Street Fighter II.

I wanted BOTW and now with Smash I might start to use the Switch more.

gZjd9w3.gif&key=9dcf239c3f0ee87dab724aa4

Gaaaah I wanna see more!

Looking at that picture again I could make out Bowser, DK and Kirby making it too.

Hnnngh I'm interested in the music and remixes too! I just hope they do it a little better than 4.

Okay so now that I've calmed down a little, figured I'd just get out of the way early stuff I expect to see and stuff I want to see. No given order, I'm sure you can parse likelihood for yourselves:

- Arms representation. It's about the only major Ninty IP still currently active that they haven't repped yet, besides Splatoon, which already got confirmed. Almost certainly going to be Spring Man for characters and maybe a Ribbon Girl clone if we're lucky, but stage-wise I'm hoping for someone else's stage besides Spring Man's. We already have Little Mac's ring for that. Maybe the one with the spintops?

- Sonic, obviously. Another playable character (personally I want Tails, or Eggman failing that) would be nice, but I'm not counting on it. Someone mentioned Infinite as an assist trophy earlier, and while I hate the character to death I have to admit halluciations would make a much better effect than fucking Chaos Control.

- A Dark Aether stage from Metroid Prime 2. Yeah it's probably irrelevant now but I've wanted this ever since Brawl and to this day I still think it's a neat concept for a stage. I still think Dark Samus has plenty enough moves to justify being a seperate character too, but I guess the likelihood of that hinges on whether she returns for Prime 4, which... well considering the events of 3, seems unlikely.

- At least one indie rep would be really cool of Ninty. My personal pick would probably be Quote from Cave Story, though realistically speaking if Ninty does go through with that it'll probably be for Shovel Knight or Sans. Memes and fanbases aside, I wouldn't be too bitter about whatever happened if only one of them made it.

- I'm not a big fan of Crash, but I can definitely see a reveal like that generating a lot of hype. Normally I'd say that's unlikely as all hell, but that's considering we got Cloud fucking Strife of all people for Smash 4, and he didn't have a port like the N.Sane collection going for him. Bring it on I say.

- I really just wanna know what they're gonna replace Link's Gale Boomerang with now that they're going with the BotW look. Other than that, can we please not have a Ganondorf that's a Falcon clone this time around? Shit man, offload that onto another F-Zero character if you have to.

- As far as the obligatory "obscure franchise pick to reinvigorate interest" goes... hmm. I kinda wanna say a stage from Eternal Darkness, like the Trapper Dimension, cos I'm not entirely sure how you'd make someone like Alex Roivas a playable character. Something Pokemon Mystery Dungeon related would be amazing, like a Temporal Tower stage, and if a playabler character came with that (personally leaning towards Guildmaster Wigglytuff, maybe Grovyle if they need someone "fightier"), even better. That's about all I can think of off the top of my head?

- As far as singleplayer content goes I might as well parrot the usual: character-specific bonus stages (Break the Targets is obviously the bare minimum, but anything beyond that I'm cool with too). Get rid of Smash Tour and bring out Smash Run HD. Take some of the mechanics from that and make a singleplayer roguelike-ish mode from it with random stages and stuff, so you have an excuse to design more mooks and bosses. Oh, especially bosses. Again, hoping for Eggman. A SSE-esque campaign might be nice IF they fix a lot of flaws with it (most notably the fact that combat is based around HP instead of actually knocking enemies offscreen), but I can't see them doing that because they do the same thing with every Master Hand fight too.

- Online speaking I only really want two things - netcode that's actually playable, and a matchmaking system that isn't the complete and utter black and white shit they did with For Honour and For Glory. And if you have to bring back For Honour, for the love of god don't make every fucking stage a single flat platform. There are tourney legal stages that still do more than that for fuck's sake.

- Ditch the reliance on Smash Balls. No, seriously. Whenever one shows up the entire match basically grinds to a halt so players can chase a balloon around instead. Normally the easy alternative would be simply to switch them off, but that leaves you instead with a match where Final Smashes are impossible and never really considered in the balance of the game. It really should be something you can acquire through the natural flow of fighting in the game - really simple example being a meter you can build by punching people and getting punched, but knowing Sakurai he'd probably go for something a lot fruitier than that.

- And lastly, because every game gets a "background characters comment on other characters currently fighting" easter egg and the franchise in question has revolved every game since Brawl, I say give that role to Callie and Marie this time. Say the Inklings are their Agents and they make commentary and advice based on that. =V

Phew, I think that's about all I'll ever need to type for a wishlist. See you guys here again in a few months!

• Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, Blacklightning said:

Sonic, obviously. Another playable character (personally I want Tails, or Eggman failing that) would be nice, but I'm not counting on it. Someone mentioned Infinite as an assist trophy earlier, and while I hate the character to death I have to admit halluciations would make a much better effect than fucking Chaos Control.

On top of this, can we get a Mania stage? *inb4wegetForcesstagewithClassicSonicasthesecondSoniccharacter*

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Promotion 1
  • Fist Bump 2

3 hours ago, blueblur98 said:

rayman_winds_up_by_hextupleyoodot-d8z10s

the one newcomer we really need.

Him or Sora in terms of newcomer/3rd party is what I want. imagine Sora’s reveal trailer lol. Pit and Sora looking all confused because of how similar they look, and Paultena saying that’s Sora, and pit going all meta and being like “he’s the one that made the last few smash games???”  Lol

I’d bring up a Konami character I want, but it’s konami so I’m not gonna bother.

New game claim aside, I'm still inclined to think that this will only be a new game in the sense that Splatoon 2 was a new game; in other words, less "Smash 5" and more "Smash 4+1".  An enhanced port, but very enhanced.  Well, we'll see.

• Thumbs Up 2

If it's what was in the internal documentation at Namco, it's Smash 5. I can very well see them reusing 4 as the backbone of the game, though. If they already have an established HD engine, why not keep using it.

My guesses on newcomers

99,99% will be
1 Inkling
2 Captain Toad and/or Paper Mario
3 Another Pokemon (maybe newest Gen, maybe Gen 1, maybe Snorlax or Heracross)
4 Someone from Fire Emblem

70%
1 Wolf Link & Midna
2 Villains: Ridley, K. Rool
3 Someone from Arms
4 Shovel Knight and/or Shantae

50%
1 Dixie or Cranky Kong
2 Krystal from Star Fox
3 Okami
4 Dark Matter from Kirby

Wish list
1 More Sonic & Megaman (maybe Eggman & Willy)
2 Simon from Castlevania
3 Rayman (not Rabbits!)
4 Klonoa

Right now, I still feel like this may be an enhanced port of Smash 4, combining elements of the Wii-U and 3DS versions with a couple new extras.

But if the next trailer reveals a lot more, totally new content, then - and ONLY then - I could see this officially being Smash 5.

The main reason to think it's not just a simple Smash 4 port is due to the trailer being incredibly cryptic. I mean, it's possible they're just being assholes but what's the point in obscuring everyone in shadow, playing a different song from the regular Smash 4 theme, and ONLY showing Mario and Link (who is also in his BoTW gear). Well that and Sakurai implied it's been being worked on since Smash 4 DLC was finished.

• Thumbs Up 2

So in development since 2016 huh? Well here’s to hoping Sonic makes the cut again. And that they can come up with a stage that’s not fucking Green hill again.

• Thumbs Up 1

The other thing that keeps from immediately jumping to the conclusion of this being Smash 5, is that big number '2018' at the end of the teaser. Like, if that's a potential release year, and it IS a new game, then I kinda have to raise my eyebrow a little...

Either way, things are bound to be clearer by the next round of info (I'd imagine E3 at the earliest).

• Thumbs Up 1

How is that really that farfetched, though? Melee was released a year and a half after the original. Brawl was released a year and a half after Wii was launched. Smash 4 is the only outlier in how long it actually was in development.  (The end of 2018 would be 1 and a half years after Switch's launch). Not to mention that if Sakurai is saying in his tweet that the game is just NOW in the development stages where he felt safe to announce it, I'd have to say that it's barely going to recognizable if it IS a Smash 4 port.

5 hours ago, Ice Vec said:

It'd be nice to have at least one Undertale representative

Not gonna happen. Gonna come off as a dick, but Undertale isn't something that has the kind of clout to actually be in Smash Bros.

4 hours ago, KHCast said:

On top of this, can we get a Mania stage? *inb4wegetForcesstagewithClassicSonicasthesecondSoniccharacter*

Hooooly shit, yes please. Studiopolis would be fantastic. Hopefully a Forces stage should be off the cards, considering the Switch was lucky enough to miss out on that one. Mania is the only Switch game, so it makes the most sense at least. Please don't just slap Windy Hill back in...

EDIT: Why did I think that Forces didn't release for the Switch? That's some high-level wishful thinking right there. Fuck. Don't you dare, SEGA.

Some hopes and dreams I could think of off the top of my head:

Characters

• Isaac. I still say his Psynergy and Djinn would make a great moveset.
  • Dixie Kong. The best Kong deserves some representation.
  • K. Rool. He's the DK villain. How is he not in Smash yet?
  • Captain Toad
  • Spring Man/Ribbon Girl
  • Ganon. I know Ganondorf already has the transformation, but this would be more like in the 2D games with his trident.
  • Skull Kid
  • Impa
  • Dillon
  • Hades
  • Medusa
  • Andy from Advance Wars
  • Decidueye
  • Simon Belmont
  • Professor Layton
  • Banjo and Kazooie. I know it's not likely, but Phil Spencer said he was cool with it, so get on it, Nintendo!
  • Bring back Wolf, Ice Climbers, and Snake
  • Toon Link replaced by ALBW Young Link. Not likely at all, but a man can dream.
  • Since there's no BOTW Ganondorf design, I'm curious to see what he looks like in this game. I hope the new design takes more inspiration from OOT than TP. I like the less armored look.
  • Full alternate costumes and characters. Like, if Daisy can't be her own character, make it possible that Peach can be Daisy, with her voice and actual face and stuff instead of just a color. Or Mega Man to Protoman. Samus can have different suits, Link and Mario have plenty of different clothes with their latest games alone. These things apply to plenty of other characters, too.

Stages

• Studiopolis for Sonic. I doubt it sadly and expect something from one of the HD games. Probably a Green Hill clone, if not Green Hill from Forces itself.
  • Bring back Great Bay, Brinstar, and Corneria. Some of my favorite stages that I was missing on Wii U.
  • New “Alpha” Mode where stages take on the layout of Battlefield. Omega mode is nice, but Battlefield is much more fun to play on than Final Destination.
  • Stage Hazard/Boss toggle. Ridley and Metal Face weren't so bad, but Yellow Devil made Wily Castle really annoying
  • If they keep botching them, stop making the huge stages. The only one that has been good is Great Temple. New Pork City, Palutena's Temple, Gaur Plain and Great Cave Offensive have been barely mediocre to terrible.
  • Redo graphics for stages. Another thing I doubt, but it's always disappointing to see a stage just ripped wholesale out of the game it's from.

Other stuff

• Better Menus
  • Unique Break the Target stages for each character
  • Story Mode. With actual dialogue. Link can be silent and Mario can talk in gibberish, for all I care, but I'd like the characters to have more interaction with each other.
  • Let me save what battle mode I want to use as the default. It's kind of annoying to have to switch to Stock each time.
  • A trophy room you can walk around in from a first-person point of view.

I'm sure I'll think of more stuff eventually lol

• Nice Smile 2

Personally I would prefer stage from Mania. Not because it's a better game.

I just want to see Studiopolis in glorious HD and sorta 3D.

I'm pretty much expecting Smash 5 using 4's engine. I doubt Sakurai and his team threw out the work they already did when they could easily port it over. Fortunately, it also means significantly less work for him and his team, a two year development cycle is plenty of time in this case.

Hopefully more robust single-player features will also be added.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Fist Bump 1

3 hours ago, NegaMetallix said:

The other thing that keeps from immediately jumping to the conclusion of this being Smash 5, is that big number '2018' at the end of the teaser. Like, if that's a potential release year, and it IS a new game, then I kinda have to raise my eyebrow a little...

Either way, things are bound to be clearer by the next round of info (I'd imagine E3 at the earliest).

You know what influenced me in this line of thinking?

The fact that the clip wasn't primarily a Smash teaser.  It was a Splatoon teaser, that only segued into Smash.  The emphasis wasn't first and foremost on "Smash is on Switch"; the message was "Inklings are going to be in Smash (which by the way is on Switch)."  That's why I think it's an iterative update.  They aren't foregrounding new Smash, they're foregrounding new additions to old Smash.

• Thumbs Up 1

Might as well have my hopes and wishlist bingo:

>Characters
*everyone back from Sm4sh, DLC characters included
*Wolf and Ice Climbers back
*Waluigi
*Mach Rider
*Isaac
*Takamaru
*King K. Rool
*Daroach
*Vaati
*Impa
*Medusa
*Hades
*Spring Man
*Dillon
*Decidueye
*Nia
*Black Shadow
*Sylux
*Dark Samus
*Masked Man
*Bomberman or Simon Belmont as the Konami rep
*Doom Marine, Dovahkiin or Commander Keen as the Bethesda rep
*Travis Touchdown (Suda51 wants this guy in big time, so here's hoping)
*Shovel Knight
*Shantae

>Stages
*almost every stage combined from the WiiU and 3DS versions, minus the MiiVerse one i guess
*Studiopolis Zone being the new Sonic stage
*old stages to bring back: Brinstar, Corneria and New Pork City
*Inkpolis Plaza and/or Octo Valley
*New Donk City
*Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker themed stage
*BoxBoy themed stage
*Dillon themed stage
*Venus Lighthouse
*Ever Oasis themed stage
*Codename S.T.E.A.M. themed stage
*Spring Stadium (the ARMS arena)
*Nintendo Land stage
*Pokémon Gen VII stage

>Other things
*Proper story mode, even a Subspace Emissary 2.0 is fine for me
*More music and/or remixes from some IPs that got like only 2-3 tracks like Final Fantasy VII
*If the Midgar stage returns, include Shiva among the summons

I'm sure i forgot stuff, but the general hopes resides there. Pick even some parts of this, Nintendo, and i'll be fine.