Awoo.

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate - DADDY SAKURAI'S WILD RIDE HAS CONCLUDED

Sonictrainer

2 hours ago, JezMM said:

It's a shame they couldn't just rework Pac-Maze to remove the "each player has their own screen" features.  

I would have done what they did with Golden Plains

@tailsBOOM! welcome to the new page bud

Anyhow... new secondary topic: Are you going to get the game on launch or later?
I am going to get the game digitally on launch day! What about you?

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, Jovahexeon Joranvexeon said:

the proper term.

His treatment is weak,  but the last thing people find him to be is underwhelming as a character. 

I’m referring to his treatment as a whole as a franchise, not just the literal character.:/ him as a character is fine, but in terms of everything else, nah. Smash is a game that celebrates game history and delved deep into each of the franchises used. So yeah, FF7 and by extension cloud, gets the short end of stick basically getting in, but not offering much of value outside his own character, which, when looking at literally everyone else,  feels like bare minimum 

• Thumbs Up 2

59 minutes ago, tailsBOOM! said:

All they really did in the transition for that stage, though, is make everyone's coin counter visible. Pac-Maze's primary gimmick was one player getting the Power Pellet and all the Ghosts turning blue and beatable on their screen only while everyone else dealt with them normally.

With one screen, you'd have to make them blue but only able to be beaten by one player (which would throw off the simple visual indicator of the blueness) or make it so all players could take them out (which would defeat the point of getting the Pellet first) or completely overhaul the gimmick or strip it away. (Which, considering how every other stage in Ultimate is represented faithfully from their original game with only minor changes besides a graphical overhaul, Sakurai probably didn't see the point in doing so for just one stage or felt that would defeat the point of bringing a stage back to begin with.)

It's definitely a more complicated situation than displaying counters in different locations.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Nice Smile 1

2 minutes ago, King Khristmas CC14 said:

All they really did in the transition for that stage, though, is make everyone's coin counter visible. Pac-Maze's primary gimmick was one player getting the Power Pellet and all the Ghosts turning blue and beatable on their screen only while everyone else dealt with them normally.

With one screen, you'd have to make them blue but only able to be beaten by one player (which would throw off the simple visual indicator of the blueness) or make it so all players could take them out (which would defeat the point of getting the Pellet first) or completely overhaul the gimmick or strip it away. (Which, considering how every other stage in Ultimate is represented faithfully from their original game with only minor changes besides a graphical overhaul, Sakurai probably didn't see the point in doing so for just one stage or felt that would defeat the point of bringing a stage back to begin with.)

It's definitely a more complicated situation than displaying counters in different locations.

True, true.  I didn't consider all that.

• Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, King Khristmas CC14 said:

Maybe they could've compromised by giving blue ghosts an outline of the player's color, or maybe even have them flash said color? (Though having all eight players powered up at once would make it look like the Ghosts got the Super Emeralds)

• Nice Smile 1

3 hours ago, tailsBOOM! said:

So, this isn't speculation, but who's planning on play in the SSMB Ultimate Game Days?

You just know I'll be there. By the way, here's my starting mains roster and who I'll opt for first:EhD7GU9.png

Seems that playing Kid Icarus Uprising, got me to pick Pit back up as one of my mains too. :U

• Promotion 1

12 hours ago, tailsBOOM! said:

You couldn't do it. The ghosts turn blue only for the current player, which can't work on Switch.

New remix to ensure you don't forget How to Play in the next 48 hours.

Oh, and two more countdown images:

The latter follows up with an unused KI: Uprising AR card, for some reason.

In terms of who I’m gonna main, I’m definitely picking up Mega Man again. Sonic will likely be my pick of “I’d like to play but probably won’t be good with”, I absolutely want to pick Link up again but I need to play a little with him so I can get to grips with some of his moveset alterations compared to 4. Out of newcomers, K Rool is easily the one who’s got my attention most so I’ll be hoping to pick him up too. I also hope to improve my Little Mac.

Interesting thing for me is the newcomers is practically doubled for me because I never got any of 4’s DLC bar the free Mewtwo in January, so I also have the likes of Bayo, Cloud and Ryu to give a try too.

• Thumbs Up 1

Gonna pick my Smash 4 mains (Greninja, Mewtwo, Bowser Jr.) back up as well as my main from Brawl restored in Ultimate. (Wolf) As far as new guys go, I'm absolutely going to try to get good at K. Rool as well as try out Ridley and Piranha Plant (When he releases). I'm also really interested in picking Pokemon Trainer back up now that he's back and see if I can get good enough at him to consider a main.

• Thumbs Up 1

Sonic will be my main. Secondaries will (Probably) be Richter, Wolf, Pichu, Ridley and Meta Knight.  Tertiaries will be Bowser, Ice Climbers, Pikachu and Ike. Another secondary I'll use is Mii Swordfighter with the

Spoiler

Isaac

costume, since Tails' is gone (Please let him be a DLC character Sakurai and Nintendo!!!)  and he's my boy number two.

Also @Ryannumber1gamer if Bayo is anything like her past self she'll combo like crazy. For Christ's sake I got massive amount of GSP from doing strings of six or more jabs.  I'm not even that good with her tbh.  Cloud is easy to use, too.   For Ryu and Ken, I recommend you play Street Fighter 2 first, or you look up that game's movesets online.  Roy is looking a lot better according to many pro Smash players.  Lucas still looks  good imo.  Corrin is fun to use in Smash 4, though I don't know how effective Insta-pin will be this time. 

23 minutes ago, King Khristmas CC14 said:

HMMMMMMMMMM... 🤔

Meanwhile, Sakurai's meeting up Hideo Kojima who's more likely or not showing up for the VGA awards.

• Thumbs Up 1

First DLC character is likely to be revealed there, though I’m skeptical on it being a Square rep now like leakers speculate for 2 reasons:

1. Square Enix being strict/difficult. I’d figure Nintendo and sakurai don’t wanna deal with more bs from that company after the Cloud fiasco.

2. Well let’s look at this. The video game awards is a giant marketing strategy for game devs. Japan’s viewer base seldom pays much attention to it, so it’s typically marketed mostly at western audiences. On top of that, this would be the first dlc character revealed, so has the responsibility to get people hyped and excited for the fighters pass. Get them to wanna invest in the hype and pre order it. So it has to be a recognizable character among the western audiences. With all that in mind, I don’t expect a Dragon Quest Rep to be the launch dlc character, given its lack of presence in the West, that’d make more sense at jump festa if anything if they were doing that. chrono or Geno even I don’t feel would be the launch dlc character. (And I definitely couldn’t see them announcing Slime as the very first dlc character to use to hype the world.) Sora, Sephiroth or Lara Croft I could believe, as they’re all recognizable icons in the West with large markets behind them, but with squares difficulty, on top of dealing with Disney for Sora, and what they might expect, I feel less confident on any of those being revealed here despite how they’d be guaranteed hype creators. 

So ultimately I feel if they’re gonna do a hyped 3rd party character the western audiences want, it may be Banjo. 

33 minutes ago, tailsBOOM! said:

Lucas, Roy, Marth...

Which weren’t initially dlc and attached to a season pass. Which is different. Dlc requires interest to buy as its post game content, whereas including characters in a base product people may not know, won’t result in someone not buying cause they’re still getting familiar characters they like as well in the whole product. DLC doesn’t have that advantage of being caked onto the base roster. It’s separate and additional, so if someone doesn’t know or care about x character, and doesn’t care about having the “full” roster, they’ll skip it. Tons of people I know skipped out on half the dlc from Smash 4 for example cause the characters didn’t interest them 

They’re not gonna hype up a dlc reveal at a big event marketed towards the west for it to just to be a character no one knows or cares about. If they wanna get the best mileage out of a dragon quest reveal, hype it up first and foremost at a Japanese gaming event. Like it or not, dlc is a business, and they gotta be smart if they wanna play ball. 

Those are two completely un relatable situations 

44 minutes ago, KHCast said:

no one knows or cares about

https://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2018/11/07/dragon-quest-11-sales-numbers-4-million/

Dragon Quest 11 also had the best North American launch month in series history.

https://thegameawards.com/awards/

So yeah "no one cares about it."  Just because it isn't Sora doesn't mean you have to trash talk it

Dragon Quest isn't likely because of how apparently difficult it was getting Cloud, honestly. And I doubt Sugiyama's going to play nice with the music or that Nintendo wants to deal with Shueisha and Toriyama's studio. Way too many hands in that pot to make it worth it. Crono would also be a no-go even if people would like me would love to see him.

15 minutes ago, tailsBOOM! said:

So yeah "no one cares about it."  Just because it isn't Sora doesn't mean you have to trash talk it

Think he was just talking in general. And I don't think DQXI should be taken as some sort of indication that DQ is big in the West; I'm glad it's done very well because the series could use more recognition, but it isn't some indicator of the series' overall popularity in the West.

Honestly, I'm pretty iffy about Sora too even if Disney is apparently open about it and just need to work with Nomura, but I admit most of the "big" Square reps people keep throwing out as possibilities don't really catch my fancy either. Geno's probably the only one that I'd care about, even if he seems like a strange choice to include in the expansion but then again his licensing would likely be a lot easier to cover with it.

• Thumbs Up 3

1 minute ago, Zaysho said:

Honestly, I'm pretty iffy about Sora too even if Disney is apparently open about it and just need to work with Nomura, but I admit most of the "big" Square reps people keep throwing out as possibilities don't really catch my fancy either. Geno's probably the only one that I'd care about, even if he seems like a strange choice to include in the expansion but then again his licensing would likely be a lot easier to cover with it.

People are quick to say, "But Disney gave permission!"  The problem with that is that 1) You have to still deal with Enix (Square is the far better half, it was doing stuff like lending properties that made them nearly go bankrupt, 2) Disney is famously difficult to deal with (They're infamous for the movie vault for Christ's sake), and 3) Could you really implement too much of Sora without including Disney stuff with it, since this is a "videogame-origins" party only.  Geno has it the easiest, but I think that the character that has the best chance is Eldrick from Dragon Quest.  He is like the Marth of Dragon Quest, later games like to connect with him.  In fact, in the Famicom version of Final Fantasy, there's a gravestone reading Eldrick (As the first Final Fantasy was supposed to be their final game).  Whose name was on it in America?  None other than Link.  They view him on that same status, so it wouldn't be a far stretch at all for him to be the DLC character.

12 minutes ago, tailsBOOM! said:

People are quick to say, "But Disney gave permission!"

That's probably because it's been around that Disney owns Sora outright rather than Square. The other story that's gone around is that they don't do anything without Nomura's say, so I don't think Square-Enix has that much say in what happens with the character. I'm iffy on him anyway for stuff you already outlined (not so much the "videogames-origins-only party," but the Disney references in general) and he'd probably end up being another case like Cloud. But I also personally don't care about Sora.

My point is I can't see any "major" Square-Enix reps coming up for a variety of reasons that vary from "Square is shit" (see Cloud) to "licensing nightmare" and Dragon Quest edges toward the latter. Kingdom Hearts too.

16 minutes ago, tailsBOOM! said:

Whose name was on it in America?  None other than Link.  They view him on that same status, so it wouldn't be a far stretch at all for him to be the DLC character.

Eh, that sounds more like some cute localization cross-promotion. The original just sounds like a shout out.

I'm not trying to be dismissive about this, but I wouldn't get my hopes up.

• Thumbs Up 3

15 minutes ago, Zaysho said:

Eh, that sounds more like some cute localization cross-promotion. The original just sounds like a shout out.

I'm not trying to be dismissive about this, but I wouldn't get my hopes up.

I'm not the biggest Dragon Quest fan.  I'm just speculating on who I view the most likely

1 hour ago, tailsBOOM! said:

https://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2018/11/07/dragon-quest-11-sales-numbers-4-million/

Dragon Quest 11 also had the best North American launch month in series history.

This isn't proof that the series is actually popular in America. That link actually suggests the opposite, since this was the make or break title for Square to even bother selling them outside Japan in the future.

If they only managed to sell 5 copies of the previous title, and they sold 10 copies this time, that's still doubling the sales.

1 hour ago, tailsBOOM! said:

This definitely isn't proof that the series is popular in America.