Awoo.

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate - DADDY SAKURAI'S WILD RIDE HAS CONCLUDED

Sonictrainer

As some of you may have heard, online detectives have made an almost certain translation of the mystery tab on the SSBU menu screen:

Image result for ssbu menu screen

and that is...  Spirits.  This is very interesting given the dark nature of the character reveals:

In case you were counting, at least 3 legendary characters have died, including Luigi whose soul was literally severed from his body.  

Another thing of note is the number of confirmed villains/anti-heros and  bosses:

Villains:

• Bowser
  • Ganondorf
  • MewTwo* (According to many people)
  • Wario
  • King Dedede
  • Meta Knight
  • Wolf O'Donnell
  • Bowser Jr.
  • Dark Pit
  • Ridley
  • Dark Samus
  • Villager (Just kidding)
  • Skull Kid??? *Probably next reveal*

Confirmed Bosses:

• Dracula
  • Rathalos

The Yellow Devil, Dr. Eggman/Shadow/Metal/Metal Kai, Hades, M. Bison, Liquid Snake (Maybe), and Porky could easily be incorporated too.

WIth this all said, the mode will probably have you save the souls of the other characters.  If you were to be able to then freely unlock them in regular mode, too, than this would keep true on Sakurai's promise that it'd be easier to unlock characters this time around!

So, all in all, what do you all think about this?

Bonus note: the mystery sidebar item could easily be a media folder of videos and such from that mode OR a Smash Run or Street Smash like mode!

• Thumbs Up 1

33 minutes ago, tailsBOOM! said:

In case you were counting, at least 3 legendary characters have died, including Luigi whose soul was literally severed from his body.  

4 actually. King K Rool apparently did King DeDeDe in. 

It's not for certain, he could have just been knocked out.  There is no way you can say the same thing about Mega Man and the Mario brothers.

• Thumbs Up 1

15 minutes ago, tailsBOOM! said:

It's not for certain, he could have just been knocked out.

It's what's heavily speculated, especially with him clawing the penguin's head. And would fit with the theme of death and spirits. 

• Thumbs Up 1

That is my best guess, that you'll save the spirits of the heroes (And eventually villains)

(Though if Mega Man is a robot how could he have a spirit tbh)

in a campaign similar to Subspace Emissary.

Here's My Top Most likely Characters 

10. Ms Pac-Man  (ε) 

9. Shadow  (ε)

8.  Crono

7. Geno

6. Zearora

5. Bandana Dee

4.  Decidueye

3. Isaac

2. Isabelle (ε)

1. Skull Kid

The Ten Eligible Characters I Want the Most

10. Skull Kid

9.  Arms Rep

8. Felix/Matthew (Both Golden Sun) (ε)

7.  Black SHadow  (ε)

6. Linkele

5. Kaden (Fire Emblem)

4.  Bandana Dee

3.   Magnus

2. Isaac (Golden Sun)

1.  Miles "Tails" Prower  

1 hour ago, tailsBOOM! said:

Who do you all think has the best chance/do you want to see the most

3rd party: Shadow, Shadow  and Metal Sonic Shadow. And maybe Shantae if I'm leaving Sonic comfort zone.

1rst party: Since trophies kill so many hopes (Krystal, Waluigi, Impa), Dixie Kong and if I'm really dreaming, Dark Matter from Kirby.

1rst party & new IP: Everyone talks "Arms", but I want Andy from Advance Wars.

1 hour ago, tailsBOOM! said:

Who do you all think has the best chance/do you want to see the most

I want to see

Tails, Lloyd, Sora.

What won't happen but I'd totally laugh with if it did.

Solaire so we can have the Smash Ultimate is the Dark Souls of Smash, and Goku XD

I think Geno is incredibly likely. Between the demand and Sakurai's own interests plus other most wanteds appearing? It just seems too inevitable.

That being said, I'd like fewer anime swordsmen and more cartoony characters.

• Thumbs Up 1

23 hours ago, tailsBOOM! said:

Villains:

• Bowser
  • Ganondorf
  • MewTwo* (According to many people)
  • Wario
  • King Dedede
  • Meta Knight
  • Wolf O'Donnell
  • Bowser Jr.
  • Dark Pit
  • Ridley
  • Dark Samus
  • Villager (Just kidding)
  • Skull Kid??? *Probably next reveal*

I bolded these because I disagree with them being villains.

King Dedede hasn't been the villian of a mainline Kirby game since the first one (not including Spring Breeze, which was a remake of the first one, and Revenge of the King, where he challenged Kirby and Kirby alone), and is a greedy bully at worst, and usually outright helps Kirby. Plus, he's pretty much the reason why everyone survived in Subspace, with his timed badges saving Ness and Luigi, and in turn, saving everyone else.

Meta Knight is merely a rival to Kirby. The only time  where he was a villain was Super Star, and even then he was more of an anti-villain, since he thinks Dream Land would be better under his rule (and judging by how Dedede isn't that great of a king, I'm inclined to agree).

Dark Pit was only a "villain" for one chapter. Other than that, he's (again) just a rival to Pit.

5 minutes ago, PublicEnemy1 said:

I bolded these because I disagree with them being villains.

King Dedede hasn't been the villian of a mainline Kirby game since the first one (not including Spring Breeze, which was a remake of the first one, and Revenge of the King, where he challenged Kirby and Kirby alone), and is a greedy bully at worst, and usually outright helps Kirby. Plus, he's pretty much the reason why everyone survived in Subspace, with his timed badges saving Ness and Luigi, and in turn, saving everyone else.

Meta Knight is merely a rival to Kirby. The only time  where he was a villain was Super Star, and even then he was more of an anti-villain, since he thinks Dream Land would be better under his rule (and judging by how Dedede isn't that great of a king, I'm inclined to agree).

Dark Pit was only a "villain" for one chapter. Other than that, he's (again) just a rival to Pit.

I said the sentence before villains/anti-heros

17 minutes ago, tailsBOOM! said:

I said the sentence before villains/anti-heros

However, it was under the list of villains, which was why I got confused, but you have a point. Even still, Dedede is still more heroic than anti-heroic, especially these days. Most of the times that you fight him he's either possessed or being otherwise controlled, or even trying to prevent a greater evil. Also, he and Kirby are pretty much on good terms with each other, and are willing to fight beside each other. There's even a moment in the Subspace Emissary where he hugs Kirby after finding him. 

Edit: And who was on the Kirby part of the montage of heroes vs. villians/anti-heroes? Meta Knight, not Dedede, suggesting that he's not really either.

• Thumbs Up 2

Just now, StaticMania said:

Meta Knight isn't Kirby's rival, King Dedede is...

Not so much any more. If anything, he's more of a friendly rival if at all. However, Meta Knight being shown in the villains/anti-heroes montage suggests that he and Kirby still have some sort of rivalry going on. 

Indeed some are not considered true evil villains, but it appears that they are still placed alongside those villains, as the K. Rool trailer implies. White the undertones of this game aren't necessarily limited to Good and Evil, the theme still emphasizes the eternal rivalry between two fighters. Even with the Belmonts came along, they brought with them Dracula, not simply because he's the series bad guy, but the Belmonts' literally eternal rival.

3 minutes ago, StaticMania said:

Meta Knight isn't Kirby's rival, King Dedede is...

Even if two formal rivals mean each other no harm anymore, they still end up facing each other involuntarily (Robobot, Star Allies,) thus repeating history anyway.

That's why Shadow is a popular bet for an echo for Sonic. While the only reason they fight anymore is because one is in the others way, it's still falls other eternal rivalry simply because said rivalry is so popular. Certainly not to Eggman's scale, but certainly a more popular rival for Sonic than Knuckles and Silver. 

10 hours ago, PublicEnemy1 said:

Yeah but he said he wants a monster to "Clobbah Dat Dere KERBY!" 

I think of Meta Knight less as a rival (he doesn't seem interested in besting Kirby at anything, at all) and more as someone trying (and failing) to be the mediator in a situation that involves Kirby going off and doing something stupid as always

Dedede fits the bill of a rival better honestly. His attitude toward Kirby may not be outright villainous but it can be childishly petty. Which I think works really well for this particular series and helps inject an element of lightheartedness in the otherwise serious, foreboding entities that Kirby faces off against

• Thumbs Up 2

18 minutes ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

Yeah but he said he wants a monster to "Clobbah Dat Dere KERBY!" 

Yes, I agree that the anime is where the King was portrayed his meanest. However:
1. He still has a hidden heart where it counts.
2. The anime isn't canon anyways. There may be a few easter eggs, but definitely not canon.

1 hour ago, PublicEnemy1 said:

Yes, I agree that the anime is where the King was portrayed his meanest. However:
1. He still has a hidden heart where it counts.
2. The anime isn't canon anyways. There may be a few easter eggs, but definitely not canon.

I was hoping that would be taken as a joke but...

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

I was hoping that would be taken as a joke but...

Oh. My apologies.

1 hour ago, PublicEnemy1 said:

Oh. My apologies.

Nah, it's alright. I just find the Kirby anime's dubbed theme to be hilarious. I look for any excuse to quote it.

When Zazz shows up in something again I want to say "He's more than you think, he's got MAXIMUM PINK!" or something dumb like that. 

Anyway, does anyone wonder if there might be a chance boss battles may have a bit more focus this go around? As in, recognizable enemies you fight against who aren't already playable like Eggman or Dr. Wily? Or would that be too far even for a crazy workaholic like Sakurai?

It's not canon...it "should" be. Since they reference enough...all of the mini bosses on Pop-Star might be sent by Dedede. Since they keep coming back.

I like the anime but.. it's a little too incompatible with the series to really line up with the games imo. Completely different personalities, roles, settings... hell, Kirby's favorite food is watermelon and not tomato for some reason. Plus I don't like the idea of game!Kirby having the mentality and capability of a toddler. Oh and it started the bizarre misconception that the "star warriors" concept exists in the games in some form or another, like that being the name of Kirby/Meta's species. I prefer it just be its own thing

Kirby pretty much does though...from when he's not defaulting.

Okay not completely canon...but I'll just believe the monster transporter and Kirby saying poyo.

Because those seem reasonable.