Awoo.

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate - DADDY SAKURAI'S WILD RIDE HAS CONCLUDED

Sonictrainer

2 minutes ago, Tracker_TD said:

My reaction was that you really need to learn how to use spoiler tags, and that I’m grateful to Static for not so subtly trying to misdirect folks reading your posts so they wouldn’t be spoiled. The game is barely a couple of weeks old and World of Light is like, 20 hours long on its own. Have some common sense here. 

Exactly what I was going to say but I didn't know how to do it nicely.  I'd hate that to be spoiled to me if I was trying to avoid it.

4 minutes ago, Tracker_TD said:

My reaction was that you really need to learn how to use spoiler tags, and that I’m grateful to Static for not so subtly trying to misdirect folks reading your posts so they wouldn’t be spoiled. The game is barely a couple of weeks old and World of Light is like, 20 hours long on its own. Have some common sense here. 

Anyway, 

Hide contents

I was genuinely surprised, honestly. That and by how much there was still of the game to go.

Sorry, don't know how to use spoiler tags.

25 minutes ago, Tracker_TD said:

My reaction was that you really need to learn how to use spoiler tags. The game is barely a couple of weeks old and World of Light is like, 20 hours long on its own. Have some common sense here. 

21 minutes ago, Ruomarta said:

You could've at least checked if spoiling was ok first. (it's the eye icon btw) 

Spoiler

While my previous post was an attempt to play along with Static, it still says what I think about the [thing].

I haven't actually played WoL (been watching my siblings do it), and I can't give an honest reaction anymore since I was just spoiled.Going ahead and reading the wiki about it, I say "eh" since I'm not expecting story or lore in a Smash Bros game. To me it's the same as the other hidden bosses.

Or maybe it'll be different when I actually play it? Maybe it'll be a "Huh?" like when Tabuu appeared in SSE. 

14 minutes ago, Plasme said:

What's the fastest way to unlock Snake and Cloud? I'm getting the game for Christmas and am hyped to unlock them!

The general quickest way to play is doing Smash matches. Basically, there’s two factors that determine unlocks - time and distance travelled. Play Moray Towers against a level 1 CPU, do a full lap up and down the tower, knock out the CPU, fight the challenger, unlock them, and then close the game and start it (as in properly close the game by pressing the X button when on the home menu), this then skips the ten minute time limit for another unlock, and rinse and repeat. It won’t allow you to specify who you unlock, but you’ll get the entire cast within 90 or so minutes.

• Thumbs Up 2

9 hours ago, Ruomarta said:

Highlight the text you want to hide with your mouse and then click the eye symbol in the bar above your post entry.

Alternatively, just type:

[spoiler]Enter your text you want to hide here.[/spoiler]

• Thumbs Up 1

biggest surprise from world of light for me was probably seeing Marx as a boss. Legit took me by surprise since I didn’t loook up any of the leaks beforehand. It’s funny too, cause I went under the assumption that area was for the final boss given the location being all destroyed versions of the characters worlds, and the final question being about taboo. so decided to use Kirby, which, needless to say, was hella fitting. 

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Promotion 1

I have to say, if I were to give advice to a new player it would be "maybe play one classic mode just for fun, but after that stick to Adventure mode", because I'm sure the boss fights are way cooler when you haven't seen them all many times at the end of various Classic mode paths first.

• Thumbs Up 3

5 hours ago, JezMM said:

I have to say, if I were to give advice to a new player it would be "maybe play one classic mode just for fun, but after that stick to Adventure mode", because I'm sure the boss fights are way cooler when you haven't seen them all many times at the end of various Classic mode paths first.

This is actually exactly what I did, so I can confirm that this is indeed what you should do right at the start.

Alright, so I just finished World of Light, 100%. All spirits, all endings, everything, the works.

Am I the only one who thinks this mode absolutely sucked? 

At first, the novelty is fun. The fights can actually be kind of funny, and inventive with the ways it uses the spirits to at least bring back some other characters in their retrospective series' back in (pun intended) spirit. However, I'd say about after two hours of this, it will begin to absolutely drain on you. Not only do the ways they try to change up each fight really begin to dry up quickly after a few hours, but they begin to scream of being copied and pasted between each other, with very very very few exception. 

And that's not even beginning to include the absolutely downright frustrating battles that you have to honestly wonder if Nintendo were even playtesting them, because some of them are downright so annoying and hard that you need to hope either A. the AI fucks up and gives you the win, or B. Cheese it. Pauline, Wily, The Boss, all of them are difficult battles with frustrating ideas that require unfair tactics to stand a hope in winning, and it isn't one bit fun. In fact, it begins to get tiring very very soon.

But then there's what I hated most, two more aspects - length, and story. Starting with length:

Spoiler

WHY IS THIS MODE NEARLY 30 HOURS LONG?! Like seriously, this mode should have just ended there and then with the first fight in World of Light. Or at the very least, combined both the light world and the dark world together or cut down on the spirit battles or something or other. There was three different times I thought they were going to finally end the story only for them to go ahead and artificially expand it for about another 10 hours. While the world trying to recreate different series' is neat - like the Zelda world in the World of Dark, or even Gourmet Race, good lord, this just isn't worth it. The length is too long, it's far far far too full with padding and it just gets downright boring by the finale.

And as for the story:

Spoiler

You have a giant crossover with all these characters. Mario. Sonic. Kirby. Link. Mega Man. Snake. Pac-Man. Need I even go on? After you have the first cutscene which tries to show them with a little personality and even has a few of them speaking, how does the game follow it all up with the 30 hour long story mode? What else do you get to see of your beloved characters?

tenor.gif

To be absolutely frank, I was in total disbelief when I saw the credits pop up. "What? That's it? That's really it?" . So not only does absolutely none of the heroes get any more cutscenes together, even with minor non-verbal interactions like we got in the opening cutscene, but in the cutscenes we do get - the majority of them are only there to set-up the next 10 hours of padding you're about to run through, not only does the bad endings show the heroes getting either A. enslaved, or B. downright dying - because yes - if darkness wins, Mario dies right in front of you painfully and slowly. 

But in the true good ending - where you set the world back to normal and stop both of your friendly neighbourhood monstrosities, you don't get so much as get to see the heroes again. You see a flood of spirits being freed, and that is it. That is your lot. None of the heroes parting ways, no idea of where they all go from here, considering we had the likes of Link teaming up with Ganondorf, or Mario with Bowser. The game ends there, with nothing else. The ending cutscene is over in about 20 seconds.

Compared to Subspace Emissary where we got actual moments of crossover and character interaction like this: 

Like, I am not joking one tiny bit. That small tiny moment of Luigi being a goofball, Dedede slapping him and Ness happily, or even Luigi reacting to Dedede's hammer with a small oust of fear is about fifty times MORE than you get in the entirety of the 30 hour adventure that is World of Light. Subspace Emissary manages to be about fifty times more fun and better in about half the time of World of Light. 

To be frank, I'm absolutely disappointed with this mode. Not only did it kind of kill Ultimate in it's tracks for a few days because I got so burnt out and sick of the game because of the 20 hours of spirit battles I had done by that point, but to be frank, I think I'm at the point where I'd say I wouldn't even want WoL in the game. The bosses were cool, but are in Classic mode, and I honestly don't even really care much for the new character in WoL. The only moment I can say I really enjoyed was:

Spoiler

taking control of Master Hand. 

Oh and for anyone wondering - no, there's no unlockable for completing the mode 100%.

I wouldn't say World of Light is awful, as it's clear a lot of thought went into the designing of levels and a lot of battles. It's just for what World of Light offers, it's not justified to be that long. It does not offer enough of a varied or rewarding experience to be like 20 to 30 hours long.

• Thumbs Up 2

I do notice how there's a lot of gushing about how the early WoL fights are so creative and referential, which gets less and less for later WoL fights. 

For example, compare the gushing for the Chaotix fight to the near radio silence for the Rouge fight.

• Thumbs Up 1

Wol is really frustrating. Shit like Big Boss ZS Samus (a boss with outrageously vicious AI, a field that requires spirits to offset the Poison floor), Ashley (Random inverse controls on a field that changes randomly), and Dr. Wily (Two enemies who can't flinch in a stamina battle) it's just... god damn, I chose easy mode for a reason.

I can't escape this, ether. Unlocking new characters requires beating competitive level AI, apparently.

All of that stuff with one life.

I was really looking forward to this game, but with the above complaints, how easy it is to miss out on a spirit, the lack of an actual story in the story mode, the extra fighters that gang up on you, absolutely cheap advantages that the enemy gets; If there was a sixth installment, I'd genuinely consider skipping out on it. I'm disappointed.

It felt great hearing Jim Sterling talk about World of Light on his podcast and about the specific spirit battles he had trouble with.

"Was it the Pauline one?"

"It was the Pauline one!"

"Was it the Doctor Wily one?"

"It was the Doctor Wily one!"

Fuck yeah. Felt great. We hated the same shit.

I know Sakurai or whoever doesn't want to do cutscenes because... they end up on Youtube or whatever but next time, just do a story. 

• Thumbs Up 4

The only Spirits so far that I've had trouble with are Big Boss, Ashley and Deep Breathing. Other than that, having a blast.

World of Light is certainly a delight when it comes to the novelty of the maps that function as homages to series, or the puzzle areas too. Spirit battles are a treat....when they aren't BS.

It's no surprise that as a story mode, WoL does have its fans. It gets the basics down.

I will admit that it's more fun for those who play it in chunks and not practically all in.

• Thumbs Up 3

I'm taking this from my reply to a Wol status so I can throw in my thoughts while its hot.

As much as I'm dismayed, I honestly knew that a proper Adventure mode was too good to be true with Ultimate's rushed, quantity over quality direction they went with. And that's not disregarding the quality that is there either.

While I haven't even started Wol, and like won't bother with it for a while, I find the Classic Modes for each character are a way better "adventure" than WOL would ever dream of being. Even if it doesn't say a lot for some of you. At least despite how short and simple it is, it somewhat tells you a "story" in what takes 20 hours for WOL to tell with the exact same substance, if not even less. Hell, it may probably take less time to go through all 74+ classic modes than the 30 hours Wol supposedly boast. It's almost a crying shame that there's more "interactivity" involved in the default 1P mode over the "main attraction," especially when the opening cutscene happens to just be another example of "Have all the action and interactivity wasted on the intro." 

Spoiler

Facing Marx or Ganon at the end of their respective Classic modes had a hundred times more impact than facing them in the middle of a tedious playthrough of WOL, and then be refaced again and again.

The Adventure Mode could've been an extended version of what they done for Classic, having each character have their own set of fights and stages, mixed with small but straight forward cutscenes, and a handful of platform levels. Galeem can be saved for the "Final Story" for all I care.

I understand wanting this mode to more "For Fun" than "For Story." But it appears as though WOL is lacking in either.

10 hours ago, Ryannumber1Santa said:

Oh and for anyone wondering - no, there's no unlockable for completing the mode 100%.

Why of course there is: you unlock the ability to play more music on the main menu. When you only get half the music for just completing WOL. And was a basic thing you could do form the very start in previous games and honestly shouldn't be locked to begin with.

• Thumbs Up 1

Am I the only one who enjoyed the hell out of The Boss spirit fight? I honestly loved it despite it kicking my ass. It was a fun all out brawl. It was hard yeah, but I dunno it felt less cheap hard than other things. Looking at you Pauline. Outside the poison which I did have something for, it was a one on one badass fight. Basically like the Snake Eater finale.

• Thumbs Up 3

51 minutes ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

I know Sakurai or whoever doesn't want to do cutscenes because... they end up on Youtube or whatever but next time, just do a story. 

I feel like the "we got leaked onto youtube" is a cover up for the fact that they have so many characters. To create a story where they all shine equally (in their own way at the least) would be a lot of work that might not translate to a profit... actually, on top of getting leaked, I can see why they weren't that keen on doing that for Ultimate. But it still doesn't change how underwhelming WOL feels in terms of story.

But if they don't want to do too much animation, they could portray most scenes and interactions the way they do Palutena's Guidance. Just a few certain events of huge importance get animated cut scenes like the beginning of WOL. Hell, that could be a good way to make interactions between everyone.

• Thumbs Up 3

47 minutes ago, dbzfan7 said:

Am I the only one who enjoyed the hell out of The Boss spirit fight? I honestly loved it despite it kicking my ass. It was a fun all out brawl. It was hard yeah, but I dunno it felt less cheap hard than other things. Looking at you Pauline. Outside the poison which I did have something for, it was a one on one badass fight. Basically like the Snake Eater finale.

Yes, you are. 

1 hour ago, dbzfan7 said:

It was pretty good imo

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Sapphirine Wind said:

But if they don't want to do too much animation...

Character trailers...that's always where it is .

If they want to do a story with cutscenes...then they shouldn't really give EVERY character a separate trailer.

They just do the initial reveal trailer and a newcomer trailer like in Brawl. Or just the former like in Melee.

• Thumbs Up 1

Is World of Light worth it? I've played for about an hour and already find it incredibly boring compared to the main game or classic mode. I also find the really difficult spirit battles cheap and badly designed. I have access to the Rayman spirit challenge, but that battle is so terribly designed that I have no inclination to unlock spirits to beat it. I think the main problem is that I just don't find unlocking spirits to be remotely interesting.

I've heard the endgame is really good, but what do you guys think? If it's not spectacular I think I just won't bother.

I dunno, I'm having fun with it. You just gotta play in short chunks. I'm having more fun because I unlocked a bunch of spirits by playing classic, and I got a few OP ones. This made it easier for some of the more troubling battles (The Boss can go suck a big one, though)

30 minutes ago, Plasme said:

I've heard the endgame is really good, but what do you guys think? If it's not spectacular I think I just won't bother.

The endgame is certainly spectacular. Which makes sense. The best thing about WoL is the boss fights,  but also the novelty and gimmicks of the maps.

Word of advice. Don't try to get through WoL like you would SSE. It's best played in chunks and pay attention to the powers of your spirits against the power value of spirits you're battling. 

• Thumbs Up 2