Awoo.

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate - DADDY SAKURAI'S WILD RIDE HAS CONCLUDED

Sonictrainer

45 minutes ago, Solly said:

I'd be thrilled because Jill & Leon are both some of my most-wanted characters. They might be hard to make work without realistic guns but the series has other weapons. 

Hide contents

Probably not. I don't really see how they're related, especially since the DQ character in that game is originally from a Shonen Jump manga.

A DQ character is looking very possible right now either way. Even if you disregard all the rumors, I can't think of a fighter that fits the "brave" codename more cleanly than one of the Dragon Quest heroes. Nothing's guaranteed right now, though, and I'd personally rather not get my hopes up.

well Sora’s Valor form in Japanese is called Brave form, and from what data miners are saying, the move set and floaty nature of the brave character could easily apply to Sora

45 minutes ago, KHCast said:

Hide contents

well Sora’s Valor form in Japanese is called Brave form, and from what data miners are saying, the move set and floaty nature of the brave character could easily apply to Sora

Spoiler

That's true, and "brave" could still refer to any number of characters, but when I say that the codename fits a Dragon Quest hero "cleanly," I mean to say that there's no word-association or mental gymnastics involved. Even in the games without "class" systems, the DQ protagonists are all colloquially referred to as 'yuusha' in Japanese and 'hero' in English, but 'brave' is an interchangeable translation. The hero class in Fire Emblem can be translated to as "brave" as well.  

In other words, "brave" is actually one of the few codenames you'd expect a DQ fighter to have, alongside hero, yuusha and possibly Loto/Roto if we are getting the DQ3 protagonist, specifically. Nothing's guaranteed but I think that's worth considering.

Resi Evil had already been taking a weird CQC focus up until 7, so you could throw in one of the reps without any weapons at all and it probably still wouldn't be entirely out of place. Though honestly if I had to pick a zombie slaying rep I'd have gone for Frank West instead. So much more material to work with and there's plenty of kid-friendly options to boot.

On another tangent - how do you think World of Light will handle DLC characters? I feel like it'd be kind of a cop-out if they weren't integrated in any capacity, horrible as I think the whole mode is.

8 minutes ago, Blacklightning said:

On another tangent - how do you think World of Light will handle DLC characters? I feel like it'd be kind of a cop-out if they weren't integrated in any capacity, horrible as I think the whole mode is.

I think it'll be similar to how Smash 4 handled custom moves in that the fact that nobody really messes with it will be noted and they wont be integrated properly with the feature at all. At most I expect a Fighter spirit you can use in WOL and that's it. Maybe they'll lock DLC characters to new game plus or something.

8 minutes ago, Blacklightning said:

They'll probably just haphazardly plop them onto free spaces in the world map. If we're lucky, we may get a new area devoted to these six.

17 minutes ago, Blacklightning said:

So much more material to work with and there's plenty of kid-friendly options to boot.

I mean MvC kinda proves RE characters can still be somewhat “kid friendly” in the vein of not being overly violent, gory, etc. Chris and Wesker could probabky have their moveset transitioned to Smash with little worry there 

2 hours ago, KHCast said:

I mean MvC kinda proves RE characters can still be somewhat “kid friendly”

To be fair, those games were rated "T", not "E10+" like Smash Ultimate is.

Shame because I would've loved to see Nemesis as an RE rep after Phoenix Wright gets in.

1 hour ago, do a barrel roll said:

why can't you use stage morph online

why can't you play squad strike online

why can't you play special smash online

why can't you play tourney online

Those 1st and Last things are exceptionally obvious and are waiting for the inevitable notice.

Some interesting tidbits from a Famitsu article have been translated:

Most notably:

- Decidueye was close to being the new Pokémon

- Zelda's new design was inspired by A Link to the Past as well as A Link Between Worlds

- Xenoblade 2 and Arms characters, as everybody guessed, came about too late in development to show up

- The inclusion of Ridley, the Belmonts and K Rool was the result of the ballot

• Thumbs Up 5
  • Nice Smile 1
  • Fist Bump 1

Much as I love Decidueye, I feel Incineroar was the much better choice. Even ignoring Pokken Tournament, finally having a full-out wrestler in Smash feels way too good. (Regardless of his competitive value)

And I'm glad all of K. Rool's votes from the last game paid off eventually!

• Thumbs Up 1

On 1/20/2019 at 5:05 AM, JokerJovahexeonJoranvexeon said:

To be fair, those games were rated "T", not "E10+" like Smash Ultimate is.

Shame because I would've loved to see Nemesis as an RE rep after Phoenix Wright gets in.

I mean given we have Bayonetta and Joker (both from 18+ games with their fair share of gore and violence) I feel like this isn't much of an issue at this point. I could pretty easily see a Resi rep working a la MvC in Smash - I doubt it'd take too much to take them from "T" friendly to "E10+" friendly.

Resi or Monster Hunter will be the next Capcom choices. Leaning toward the latter first. 

DMC should be considered as well. Dante's combo attacks would be surprising easy to implement.

19 minutes ago, Wraith said:

Resi or Monster Hunter will be the next Capcom choices. Leaning toward the latter first. 

DMC should be considered as well. Dante's combo attacks would be surprising easy to implement.

Plus we can finally get Dante and Bayonetta in a game together. It's perfect.

50 minutes ago, Tracker_TD said:

I mean given we have Bayonetta and Joker (both from 18+ games with their fair share of gore and violence) I feel like this isn't much of an issue at this point.

Yeah, but they and their arsenals are easier to tone down. Resident Evil, not so much, unless you go with someone like Nemesis (speaking about weapons).

54 minutes ago, Tracker_TD said:

I could pretty easily see a Resi rep working a la MvC in Smash - I doubt it'd take too much to take them from "T" friendly to "E10+" friendly.

That depends. Wesker and Nemesis did it sure, but they're villains, so not likely to get in before the protagonists. Jill yes, if they really wanna go with her Resident Evil 5 shtick. As for Chris, eh a lot of  his moves still used firearms too realistic. Now arguably, they could maybe pull a Snake, but we all know Sakurai likes to have stuff as varied as possible, so not the biggest shot.

Would weapons really be an issue? I mean, Snake’s moveset consists of rocket launchers and various other weapons, with a slightly more kid friendly version of his neck-snapping move as a grab.

18 minutes ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

Would weapons really be an issue? I mean, Snake’s moveset consists of rocket launchers and various other weapons, with a slightly more kid friendly version of his neck-snapping move as a grab.

Snake's more open to that,  as he doesn't rely on the more controversial firearms to the center extent that Resident Evil protagonists normally do. 

Finally completed World of Light.

I avoided the mode for a couple weeks and stuck to Spirit Board. While doing that gave me an advantage going in, I was so overwhelmed with the number of Spirit battles that I could probably only play WoL for maybe twenty minutes (if that) before I would just go play around in another mode or practice or whatever. That led to me inching across the gigantic map in every play session and by the time I managed to open every path, I was exhausted. I was able to skip some battles here and there and focus on collecting characters.

Remaining thoughts in spoiler tag:

Spoiler

I had gone into this mode knowing that there was a second enemy that would come up when Galeem is defeated the first time, and even if I didn't, it was pretty clear WoL wasn't over when I only had about half the entire roster. When Dharkon showed up to begin the second half of the adventure mode I wasn't terribly surprised. I just sighed and continued.

The overworld for the dark realm is kind of more of the same like the light realm, I actually found the levels like Dracula's Castle and the Mystery Dimension more fun and interesting to go through than any of the light realm. I would have preferred the adventure mode was constructed like these sections from the beginning. The Mystery Dimension was especially cool for me since it had the quiz element and required you to beat the correct Spirit to continue on. While I really like this idea, if you don't know the answer, you'll be there a bit longer fighting more Spirits but that's pretty inconsequential since you'll probably collect them anyway.

It also reminded me how disappointing the lack of flavor text and little trivia bits that weren't included with the Spirit album. It would have been fun if you could go through your album and see if you can find hints from fighter info or related spirits you may have collected elsewhere.

With that out of the way, there's the true ending/final battle. For a single player mode bloated with character battle after character battle and little in-between, the final fight with Galeem and Dharkon, their puppet fighters, and every boss in the game, and being able to play as fucking Master Hand (I didn't know about this part), is a very satisfying conclusion.

It doesn't make up for what chore the adventure mode is, but it's probably the most fun I've had with the adventure mode for the 30 hours it took for me to clear it. The mode could definitely have been pared down, since it seemed like the Spirit Board was meant to supplement it to begin with.

The main reward for beating this mode is being able to change the menu music. For all the trouble you go through I would have liked to be able to use any music in the game I wanted, but it is nice I can play Smash 64's character select theme now.

I'm currently backtracking in my file to pick up the remaining spirits so I can clear something on the challenge board. Ganon with a max level Akuma spirit is sweeping up most everything, so I'll probably be able to complete that and not bother with the mode anymore unless NG+ is somehow worthwhile.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 1/20/2019 at 4:46 AM, do a barrel roll said:

why can't you use stage morph online

why can't you play squad strike online

why can't you play special smash online

why can't you play tourney online

I don't think I've ever seen anyone who wants to play Special Smash online in all the years it's existed. I certainly wouldn't want it in quickplay with how it ends up sometimes in this game. In arenas with friends it'd be fun, though.

As for stage morph I think that would be a bit of a strain on players' connections? I don't quite get the ins and outs of online play networking and stuff but I can't imagine something like the Nintendogs living room turning into New Pork City or some shit being easy to optimise for online play.

The other two though are big standouts and I think Squad Strike especially will probably get added as an online feature soon enough. Here's hoping on my end anyway.

• Thumbs Up 1

The Plant has a Palutena's guidance (My internet was laggy during the middle of Nairo streaming it).

Edit: Here we go:

In other news, we've got a new trailer, along with Pirahana Plant being added to the "Everyone Is Here" banner to boot.

• Thumbs Up 1

Wow, surprised they added Multiplayer support for the Spirit Board. I wonder if they adjusted the difficulty to account for the extra players. I still would've preferred if they focused on adding local multiplayer support for Online Arenas first, though. Seriously, why can we have a local partner for Quick Play against strangers but not for Arenas with friends?

• Thumbs Up 2