Awoo.

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate - DADDY SAKURAI'S WILD RIDE HAS CONCLUDED

Sonictrainer

So, it’s been recently announced that Microsoft plans to bring Xbox Live not only to mobile, but also to Switch.

Is it me or does it seem like the chances of a Banjo announce as DLC seem more likely? It’s getting more and more clear that Nintendo and Microsoft are getting closer as business partners if Xbox Live does indeed make the jump to Switch.

No, they will not use Banjo-Kazooie. If they will use one of their IPs, it will most likely be Minecraft. As much as I like Banjo, but this series is not even in the Top 200 game series of all time, while Minecraft is pretty high up. It is  MS biggest franchise. If they will bring on of their characters into Smash, it is either Steve or Master Chief, but surely not Banjo, a character that not even the current staff at Rare respects or is remotely interested in. 

4 hours ago, FFWF said:

Hide contents

If they were choosing DLC characters based on music, or indeed rejecting DLC characters based on the music (or its composer), that would be one thing.  But Neku and TWEWY just aren't celebrities in the same way as Persona and Dragon Quest are; and while Kingdom Hearts and Sora I think would've been an amazing fit, they don't have a game coming to Switch this year. 

Additionally, if one rumour about the "Brave" character is correct, it's not so much "Erdrick" as it is "Dragon Quest heroes," with the DQXI protagonist and a DQX character also in the mix as alts; a slightly more interesting proposal.  We'll see what they do about the music.  Satisfying though it would be if they could cut Koichi Sugiyama out of the picture somehow, it seems unlikely that that's on the cards.

Spoiler

I never implied they chose characters based on music. And I want them not because of a new game on Switch (Final Remix was a thing last year) or becuase they’re big celebrities like Erdrick, but becuase they leave enough of a legacy for modern gaming.

Honestly, when it comes to potential Microsoft/Rare characters showing up in Smash, I can't help but wonder if the Battletoads might be a valid choice.

Even putting aside their appearance on the NES back in the day, Microsoft still seem to be willing to use them in recent years (such as their appearance and special level in Shovel Knight on Xbox, or Rash showing up as a playable fighter in Killer Instinct).

...But this is all assuming that there even will be any collaboration between Microsoft and Nintendo for Smash in the first place.

• Thumbs Up 1

Honestly if we're listing any IPs that Microsoft has a hold of that should be in Smash, I just want it to be one that has an actual connection with Nintendo. Granted, that would mostly just be all the old Rare stuff (Banjo and Battletoads like mentioned already), and I guess Minecraft with the Wii U and Switch versions plus unique DLC make it a sensible choice too. Plus meme pick or not, Steve would make for an interesting moveset. Man who needs a FE character of a non-Lord class when you can get a sword and axe all in one???

The people asking for Master Chief and the like are just wack tho. The way I see it, the mature content we have in Smash (MGS and Bayonetta) either have already had deep Nintendo connections (Twin Snakes) or are balls-to-the-wall enough to fit in with Nintendo's characters (Bayonetta). A typical post-apocalyptic guy in cyber armor has no place in this series if you ask me.

4 minutes ago, spinny said:

the mature content we have in Smash (MGS and Bayonetta) either have already had deep Nintendo connections (Twin Snakes) or are balls-to-the-wall enough to fit in with Nintendo's characters (Bayonetta).

*cough* Persona5insmash*cough*

2 minutes ago, JokerJovahexeonJoranvexeon said:

*cough* Persona5insmash*cough*

I'd kinda say Persona goes the same way as Bayonetta, it's flashy and stylish. At least that's what I've been trying to convince myself as the reason it fits in.

1 hour ago, spinny said:

The way I see it, the mature content we have in Smash (MGS and Bayonetta) either have already had deep Nintendo connections (Twin Snakes) or are balls-to-the-wall enough to fit in with Nintendo's characters (Bayonetta). A typical post-apocalyptic guy in cyber armor has no place in this series if you ask me.

Bayonetta's been a Nintendo exclusive starting with the second game.  Also, Halo was considered to be ported in the past to the DS (https://www.ign.com/games/halo-ds) and supposedly the GBA (Briefly mentioned in the same IGN page).  Wouldn't be surprised if they ported it to Switch at this point.

7 hours ago, spinny said:

I'd kinda say Persona goes the same way as Bayonetta, it's flashy and stylish. At least that's what I've been trying to convince myself as the reason it fits in.

I agree with this. A lot of the gore, blood, and darker themes of the Persona series are often times associated with the villains and palaces of the game, especially in 5 with the likes of Kamoshida. However if you take the characters on their own, they fit far better into Smash than someone with even heavier maturer themes like Snake, or even Bayo. The P5 characters especially are all based around stylish, flashy attacks which is no stranger to Smash. The closest I see Joker getting to “Mature” in this game is probably making use of his replica handgun. Beyond that, he won’t really stick out like a sore thumb.

6 hours ago, tailsBOOM! said:

Bayonetta's been a Nintendo exclusive starting with the second game.  Also, Halo was considered to be ported in the past to the DS (https://www.ign.com/games/halo-ds) and supposedly the GBA (Briefly mentioned in the same IGN page).  Wouldn't be surprised if they ported it to Switch at this point.

There’s no way in hell that Halo will get ported in this day and age. Those ports would’ve been a thing when Microsoft was failing in Japan, the Xbox was still steps behind the PlayStation, and Microsoft were considered a laughing stock between Japanese Developers. In those conditions, it makes some sense, if only because Nintendo had a better chance of selling a Halo title worldwide, and the DS has a wider install base, and on top of that, Microsoft were making some ports of their games, given Halo 1 and 2 got ports for PC.

However, in 2019, where Microsoft and Nintendo are arguably trying to play catch up to Sony with this generation, Xbox and Halo being far more successful and popular around the world, bar Japan, and most importantly - Halo being one of the very few remaining exclusives Microsoft can trot out every few years to give people any reason to buy an Xbox One, there’s no way they’d port the series to Switch, it has as much a chance of happening as them porting it to PlayStation.

1 hour ago, JokerJovahexeonJoranvexeon said:

https://www.resetera.com/threads/itsuno-if-fans-want-dante-in-smash-tell-capcom-to-put-dmc-on-switch-first.98241/

In recent Capcom news, it doesn't sound they're in talks of adding Dante in on this Season pass, if the guy who runs the series has this to say about it.

Dante actually has the potential due to his solo appearance on the 3DS:
Image result for project x zone 2

It was a Nintendo, SEGA, Capcom and Bandai-Namco crossover.  Because of this, Kiryu is also technically eligible.

12 minutes ago, tailsBOOM! said:

Dante actually has the potential due to his solo appearance on the 3DS:

Ahem,  mind you, Itsuno was talking about the Switch.

Considering Capcom's interest in profits and how things have been going when it comes to the Switch,  he raises a good point, especially if that's emblematic of Capcom's thought process with Smash. 

Either way,  Itsuno actually commenting on this,  already brings in the NDA can of worms.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, JokerJovahexeonJoranvexeon said:

Ahem,  mind you, Itsuno was talking about the Switch.

Considering Capcom's interest in profits and how things have been going when it comes to the Switch,  he raises a good point, especially if that's emblematic of Capcom's thought process with Smash. 

Either way,  Itsuno actually commenting on this,  already brings in the NDA can of worms.

Yeah, but Persona wasn't on Switch, and Q2 was on 3DS.  Also, Metal Gear Solid never came to Wii, nor has it come to the Switch yet.  FInally, there hasn't been any Castlevania games on Switch.

1 minute ago, tailsBOOM! said:

Yeah, but Persona wasn't on Switch, and Q2 was on 3DS. 

Persona was for SEGA, not Capcom. And if those rumors of Persona 5 turn out true anyway,  that point is moot.

3 minutes ago, tailsBOOM! said:

Also, Metal Gear Solid never came to Wii, nor has it come to the Switch yet.

Snake already had his credentials with Twin Snakes,  which is playable in a Wii. Also,  Brawl was 10 years ago.  Much can change over time. 

6 minutes ago, tailsBOOM! said:

FInally, there hasn't been any Castlevania games on Switch.

You're referring to Konami. Considering the company's current circumstances, it speaks for itself.

Besides,  the Belmonts got in first and foremost thanks to the ballot. 

1 minute ago, JokerJovahexeonJoranvexeon said:

Snake already had his credentials with Twin Snakes,  which is playable in a Wii. Also,  Brawl was 10 years ago.  Much can change over time. 

But you referred to Dante never having appeared on Switch.  He is playable on the 3DS.  Twin Snakes was a GameCube game.

6 minutes ago, tailsBOOM! said:

But you referred to Dante never having appeared on Switch

That's what Itsuno said. Hence,  I'm simply relaying his and potentially,  Capcom's view on the situation. 

8 minutes ago, tailsBOOM! said:

He is playable on the 3DS.  Twin Snakes was a GameCube game

Well, Project x Zone isn't exactly playable on the Switch now is it?

There's no point even splitting hairs then,  since you're trying to compare the situations of two Smash games which are 10 years apart. 

There's nothing saying Dante is impossible,  but considering what this Capcom employee has to officially say, it might be wiser to expect some ports of DMC 1-5 before Dante gets in,  cause his Season pass chances aren't looking hot thanks to this latest update. 

• 2 weeks later...

Disappointed, but not surprised, the upcoming DLC characters won't be getting their own Palutena's Guidance. It's a shame since Piranha Plant had one, but I suppose it was planned to round out the base roster anyway and wasn't ready in time for the game's release.

• Thumbs Up 3

Yeah, guessing that since they've said the DLC fighters will be coming out steadily over the next 2 years, that means some might not be set in stone yet, and it would be a LOT of work to organise the Kid Icarus VAs to record 30 seconds worth of dialogue each every few months.

Though honestly gathering them up to do all 5 in one go at the END of the content for the 5th's release doesn't seem like an unreasonable compromise, but alas, money is still a thing - would probably cost a lot just for the sake of an easter egg.

• Thumbs Up 2

10 minutes ago, JezMM said:

Yeah, guessing that since they've said the DLC fighters will be coming out steadily over the next 2 years, that means some might not be set in stone yet, and it would be a LOT of work to organise the Kid Icarus VAs to record 30 seconds worth of dialogue each every few months.

Though honestly gathering them up to do all 5 in one go at the END of the content for the 5th's release doesn't seem like an unreasonable compromise, but alas, money is still a thing - would probably cost a lot just for the sake of an easter egg.

It's only one year.  And they said they were already chosen back in November 

Yeah, it makes sense, but part of me was always a bit let down by Ultimate's lack of extra content that seemed like such mainstays in previous Smash titles (really wish the Spirit gallery had extra bios or something since that's something I always enjoyed about earlier games). It would have been a really nice way of introducing these characters, though, especially  if most of them are out of the box, new to Nintendo type of picks like Joker. I get it's not worth the investment for something the majority of players aren't going to bother with more than once.

I'm only really interested in how these characters play. The guidences didn't add that much to me since most of them are duds compared to the original game imo.

15 minutes ago, tailsBOOM! said:

It's only one year.  And they said they were already chosen back in November 

Ah okay, I misremembered.

9 minutes ago, Zaysho said:

Yeah, it makes sense, but part of me was always a bit let down by Ultimate's lack of extra content that seemed like such mainstays in previous Smash titles (really wish the Spirit gallery had extra bios or something since that's something I always enjoyed about earlier games). It would have been a really nice way of introducing these characters, though, especially  if most of them are out of the box, new to Nintendo type of picks like Joker. I get it's not worth the investment for something the majority of players aren't going to bother with more than once.

Yeah, you know honestly it does feel like "Special" is the better name of the two than "Ultimate".  This doesn't feel like the "Ultimate" Smash Bros in anything other than characters and gameplay - which are absolutely the most important things, but it's because of those that the absences of all the little things are felt so much more deeply.  It's heartbreaking that we have this absolute polished gem of a base game but there are so many other absences.

I hope we have some new (old?) modes incoming - the tease of Ver. 3.0 in the most recent direct really does seem to imply that we'll be getting more than just the Joker DLC and the usual balance update.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, JezMM said:

Yeah, you know honestly it does feel like "Special" is the better name of the two than "Ultimate".  This doesn't feel like the "Ultimate" Smash Bros in anything other than characters and gameplay - which are absolutely the most important things, but it's because of those that the absences of all the little things are felt so much more deeply.  It's heartbreaking that we have this absolute polished gem of a base game but there are so many other absences.

When has "Ultimate" really mean anything these days? If Spider-Man tells me anything, Ultimate is hardly any different from Amazing or Spectacular.

"Because ultimate means the final, crowning iteration of something. Conversely, Activision released Ultimate Quake immediately before Quake 4." -Gamesradar

Not to mention “Ultimate” editions of games that still require you to go out of your way to buy additional content regardless if you want everything. The word ultimate rarely ever seems to mean what it is lol

• Thumbs Up 1