Awoo.

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate - DADDY SAKURAI'S WILD RIDE HAS CONCLUDED

Sonictrainer

Anyone else find it weird how a month out before his release we haven’t seen any actual gameplay of joker? I mean we saw gameplay of Piranha Plant at least a few months before its release 

24 minutes ago, KHCast said:

Anyone else find it weird how a month out before his release we haven’t seen any actual gameplay of joker? I mean we saw gameplay of Piranha Plant at least a few months before its release 

We weren't even supposed to know about Roy and Ryu in Smash 4 though when they were dropped

50 minutes ago, tailsBOOM! said:

We weren't even supposed to know about Roy and Ryu in Smash 4 though when they were dropped

Eh, that feels like a bit of a different case. We've known about Joker, officially, for the last three months and they've just teased a bit about an upcoming update to coincide with him. I assume when it gets closer to the update/a potential (at this point, fairly likely) port of Persona 5 announcement we'll finally see something--though by then the character will probably just drop on the eShop.

• Thumbs Up 2

Knowing Nintendo, a random drop seems like a possible reality. The fact they never gave a specific date for April, and were a month out only further convinces me it’ll likely be that.(RIP if they release him the same day Endgame drops though lol)

• Thumbs Up 3

Some new datamined news has surfaced. 

16 DLC spots (this is including Pirahna Plant and Joker's) were found,  suggesting we may be getting at least three season passes. Or at least,  Nintendo leaving that amount of spaces just in case. 

8 minutes ago, Jovahexeon Fitzroy said:

Some new datamined news has surfaced. 

16 DLC spots (this is including Pirahna Plant and Joker's) were found,  suggesting we may be getting at least three season passes. Or at least,  Nintendo leaving that amount of spaces just in case. 

Throwing it out there, is there a possibility that there's slots in there for additional echo fighters that could perhaps be free DLC or similar to costume DLC (Like Smash 4 had)?

• Promotion 1

1 minute ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

Throwing it out there, is there a possibility that there's slots in there for additional echo fighters that could perhaps be free DLC or similar to costume DLC (Like Smash 4 had)?

Costume DLC, probably not as that would be attached to Mii fighters.  I could EASILY see echo fighters separate from the Fighter's pass, with those making the most sense to me being:  Ninten for Ness, Black Shadow or Blood Falcon for Captain Falcon, Zeraora for Lucario, Rival Trainer for Pokemon Trainer, Dixie for Diddy Kong, Funky Kong for DK, Sceptile for Greninja (?), Kantonian Raichu for Pikachu, Clefairy for Jigglypuff, Viridi or Medusa for Palutena,  Tails for Sonic, Proto Man or Bass for Mega Man, Ms. Pac-Man for Pac-Man, Sephiroth for Cloud (Unlikely, but could be done for shock value), Liquid Snake for Snake, Jeanne for Bayonetta, or maybe the DLC characters.

Something important to note is that echo fighters can be different in various ways:

• Daisy and Dark Samus are different heights
  • Chrom and Lucinas' swords are balanced
  • Dark Pit, Ken and Chrom have different moves
  • Richter and Dark Samus have different properties
  • All of them have different animations

10 minutes ago, tailsBOOM! said:

Costume DLC, probably not as that would be attached to Mii fighters.  I could EASILY see echo fighters separate from the Fighter's pass, with those making the most sense to me being:  Ninten for Ness, Black Shadow or Blood Falcon for Captain Falcon, Zeraora for Lucario, Rival Trainer for Pokemon Trainer, Dixie for Diddy Kong, Funky Kong for DK, Sceptile for Greninja (?), Kantonian Raichu for Pikachu, Clefairy for Jigglypuff, Viridi or Medusa for Palutena,  Tails for Sonic, Proto Man or Bass for Mega Man, Ms. Pac-Man for Pac-Man, Sephiroth for Cloud (Unlikely, but could be done for shock value), Liquid Snake for Snake, Jeanne for Bayonetta, or maybe the DLC characters.

Okay I personally have problems with a few of these picks.

Ninten personally I think is just a super boring character choice, in large part because he's literally just a different generation Ness in both design and abilities. If you put them side by side a lot of people would honestly be hard pressed to realize they're even separate characters. Were it up to me, I'd go with Paula instead - unlike Ness she knows PK Fire, Thunder and Freeze in canon, and wouldn't take much to replace Ness's bat with a frying pan considering all those assets are already in the game. I feel pretty similarly about Ms Pacman, Jeanne and Blood Falcon, all of whom are pretty much identical to their source and don't really bring anything interesting or unique to the table. Even Dark Pit at least had a different arsenal going for him, even if they could've used it much better than they did.

Black Shadow I'd personally have gone for as a Ganon echo rather than a Falcon one, mainly cos it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me for someone that bulky to ape such an athletic character and most people previously wanted him to retain Ganon's old moveset to give the real Ganon a better excuse to branch out anyway.

I haven't really paid a whole lot of attention to mainstream Pokemon outside of what I've learnt in the Mystery Dungeons, but Zeraora has an entirely different stance and bodily structure to Lucario, and taking a quick look over their bulbapedia page it doesn't look like they even really have comparable movesets either? In fact this is a problem that seems to permeate a lot of Pokemon echo picks, these included. I can't really see Clefairy working over Jiggly because being a balloon is the whole reason Jiggly has multiple jumps, and their recovery is absolute Little Mac tier garbage without them. A completely separate trainer would be pretty pointless without a different set of Pokemon, and because this is echoes we're talking about they'd have to be very similar picks - Squirtle/Wartortle and Bulbasaur/Ivysaur are pretty much interchangable, granted, but I can't see the Charmander line taking up any other role in their evolutionary tree without causing problems in some form. Sceptile I could maybe see working because they and Greninja both have blade moves and low, wide stances, but there'd still be some truly asspull stuff in other areas, like wtf he's supposed to do instead of Shadow Sneak. I'm all for echoes inflating the roster more than they could do with a non-half-assed job, but there comes a point where even by those standards you're kinda just doing it for the sake of it with characters that just aren't really all that comparable at all.

Not that I have I huge problem with Liquid Snake per se, but as far as Snake echoes go I personally would have gone with Raiden instead, mainly because he was already basically the in-universe Snake echo in MGS2 and had enough subtle differences that would be interesting enough to see nods to in Smash - mainly the cartwheel over Snake's running roll and that fancy doublekick he does at the end of a combo over Snake's single one. And if one wanted to diversify him further, MGS2 has plenty of options that could be tweaked from Snake's current ones - directional Claymores over C4, Stingers over Nikitias, maybe even a stun/chaff grenade over Snake's frags if you're feeling bold. If you're able to fit in some MGR references on top of that, even if as just a costume or two, even better.

• Thumbs Up 3

Shadow is the only echo I REALLY really want, but I do think it'd be cool to have uh... Celica as a Robin Echo or somethin'. I think she can use a sword and magic IIRC.

I had like a whole list but I forgot all of them, I shall return tomorrow when I remember.

16 DLC spots? Geeze. Sounds kinda cool. They have a lot of interesting shots and calls to potentially make.

I feel like a Mortal Combat character would work in here really well, but I've never touched those games in my life. One of the franchise's games is coming to the Switch, if I heard right.

You know I thought I’d list a few characters I’m predicting for the DLC and ask for your thoughts on them. So with that:

1.Now the fabled Square character has been a hot topic, and while Erdrick has the most likely chance still given all the news surrounding him, I think there a few other possible choices. Sora has been a discussed choice, and while I’d love to see him, I’m inclined to believe it prob won’t be him due to legality and dealing with Disney, who lately are apparently nightmares to work with. Chrono could be a great retro character choice that I’d honestly find more appealing than someone from DQ. And lastly there’s Lara Croft who I feel could genuinely work as she’s in a lively successful franchise still, on top of being a historical gaming icon. 

2. I’m positive we’ll get at least one western rep. My guesses: Ezio, Scorpion, Doom guy, or the Dragonborn. Two of those have fighting game experience, and the other two are also just popular icons from very successful franchises that have potential unique movesets. Less mature characters like Crash and Rayman could be possible but...I just don’t have a great feeling regarding their chances 

3.Microsoft has been super chummy with Nintendo lately, anyone can see that, so I’m confident Steve from Minecraft or Banjo will show up, leaning towards the former since Nintendo will wanna appeal to the younger generation at least with one character. OR they could do a Minecraft stage and banjo character, that could probably be a good middle ground

4. We’ll more than likely get at least one in-house Nintendo character, and I’m honestly not sure who they’d go for. Someone from an existing franchise already represented? Or maybe a new IP? Maybe someone from the ballot? The only new IP from them I could imagine being pushed is ARMS, unless they wanna advertise a future unannounced franchise. There’s not really many Nintendo characters I could imagine being “hype” level DLC like with 3rd party picks, so that’s what makes it tricky to guess. Pokémon I GUESS could be a safe bet, but eh, its also the most underwhelming route to go at the same time.

I'd rather not have echos as DLC, but what I want from a season pass is… make some assist trophies playable, upgrade them to characters.

Shadow (obviously), Waluigi, Shovel Knight, Bomberman and Zero would be Amazing, they are really wasted as ATs.

Nothing against the current season pass though. Heck, I Always said I wanted more third party characters.

15 hours ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

Costumes? Absolutely not,  seeing as how the datamine came from WoL slots.

Echoes? Possible, but not likely. 

• Promotion 1

10 minutes ago, Jovahexeon Fitzroy said:

Actually, Sakurai has stated that any new DLC fighters added will not be Echoes.

6 minutes ago, Tailikku said:

Actually, Sakurai has stated that any new DLC fighters added will not be Echoes.

That was the Fighter's Pass.  Maybe some echoes on the side?

55 minutes ago, Fusion-Ellipsis said:

Hang on did the dlc count jump from 5 to 16???

No.  Prior to Piranha Plant dropping, someone found 16 dummy files in the WOL code.  PP and Joker take up 2, so we could have a max of 14 more.

5 hours ago, Jack the Shadow said:

I'd rather not have echos as DLC, but what I want from a season pass is… make some assist trophies playable, upgrade them to characters.

Shadow (obviously), Zero

I hope you realize that neither of them wouldn't be able to be a full-fledged character.  Alucard was originally supposed to be the second Castlevania rep, but because he was too different (Such as having a sword), he was relegated to being an assist:

https://www.eventhubs.com/news/2019/feb/24/sakurai-considered-putting-alucard-super-smash-bros-ultimate-didnt-because-one-small-iconic-reason/

He's even seemed to have admitted knowing Alucard was the most popular, but felt that the Belmonts would please the most people.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Jovahexeon Fitzroy said:

Costumes? Absolutely not,  seeing as how the datamine came from WoL slots.

I should clarify, I didn’t mean costumes, I was using the costume DLC as an example of what the echo slots are.

• Thumbs Up 1

Anyone else hoping Jokers alt costumes are his alternate outfits from P5 that were based on the other protags?

images in spoiler

jpg

jpg

3213987-p5.jpg

3213981-p0.jpg

On 8/8/2018 at 10:45 AM, Rusty Spy said:

5. GIVE ME MONSTER HUNTER FIGHTER PLEASE! YOU CAN'T HAVE RATHALOS ASSIST AND BOSS FIGHT AND NO MONSTER HUNTER FIGHTER!!!

Unless they give us the mii costume back instead. 

2 hours ago, KHCast said:

It’d probably be an assist trophy. No way Microsoft would go with them over Steve, Banjo or Chief 

Microsoft doesn't own them.  Cuphead is an indie game.

If there is an indie game playable character I'd obviously go for Shovel Knight, as one of the upgraded ATs. Let me dream.

"Moldenhauer goes on to say that if Nintendo aims to keep their fans pleased, he'd be incredibly happy to make it a reality. "Just a piece of paper, we don’t need anything. You can have those characters make an appearance," Moldenhauer concluded.

It's no surprise that the co-creator of Cuphead wants the character to join the Super Smash Bros. fight as he and his brother Chad Moldenhauer are big fans of fighting games. They've gone on record saying as much, but there are numerous references to fighting games — especially the Street Fighter series — within the various levels and boss fights of Cuphead."

https://www.eventhubs.com/news/2019/mar/22/cuphead-creator-says-character-belongs-super-smash-bros-ultimate/

So the creators' wouldn't even want money to put him in...  Interesting.    Looks like Nintendo would have nothing to lose...  Thoughts?