Awoo.

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate - DADDY SAKURAI'S WILD RIDE HAS CONCLUDED

Sonictrainer

This is incredibly minor, but it's kind of annoying that Vs Parasite Queen and The Great Sea got cut.  Why would you cut two songs that are the direct, original BGM for stages in the game?  Both have plenty of good alternatives to use that fit the stage of course, although I will say that I find the Smash re-arrangement of The Great Sea to be inferior to the original song.  Just doesn't feel as smooth or flowing somehow - despite not being limited to midi, the orchestra somehow manages to sound more synstheised than the original, which can at least evoke the nostalgia of when this once was acceptable sounding "orchestra" music.  I feel the same way about the Smash version of OoT Hyrule Field compared to the original.

Also fuck off SEGA for not okaying any new Sonic remixes but being willing to pay royalties for the use of fucking Green Hill, Emerald Hill and Scrap Brain, the lattermost of which only psychopaths would feel is fitting for either of Sonic's two stages.  I'm satisfied with the choices from Mania and Forces, even though Mania definitely deserved a second track over fuckin' Scrap Brain.

Avoiding all the spoiler tagged stuff naturally but I don't mind knowing what ISN'T in the game.

I caught my fingers under a heavy piece of furniture earlier so I'm slightly grumpier about all of the above than is reasonable, bear with me.

I AM however very happy that Melee's Targets theme makes it's well-deserved return, that piece of music was too good to die in a minigame of a discontinued product.

• Thumbs Up 3

20 hours ago, Cayenne said:

Thank you! I knew something was familiar. Both tracks have that "upbeat" and "epic" musical style of the Mario sports games made by Camelot.

It is indeed Motoi Sakuraba

image.thumb.png.f60e958b97072b50ef6edfea9227929e.png

Also, Crunchii will be uploaded more tracks soon!

• Thumbs Up 1

Just a friendly moderator reminder to please use spoiler tags when discussing the datamined Ultimate stuff and similar leaks.

U2Xgfoaas7wyjjYdepR7QFu0FoUg5L3OCOS9ipus

Or we'll fucking kill you.
  • Chuckle 3
  • My Emmerdoods 2

36 minutes ago, Tornado said:

Just a friendly moderator reminder to please use spoiler tags when discussing the datamined Ultimate stuff and similar leaks.

U2Xgfoaas7wyjjYdepR7QFu0FoUg5L3OCOS9ipus

Who are you and what have you done with-!?

36 minutes ago, Tornado said:

Reveal hidden contents

Or we'll fucking kill you.

Ah, nevermind then! Despite everything it's still you! :P

Anyway, news update on the leaks folks.

Dataminers have found something quite interesting.

Spoiler

Apparently there are 30 empty fighter slots left open in data. Hihgly suggesting that in addition to the first 6 DLC characters, we may be getting 24 more fighters over the course of Smash Ultimate's lifetime.

2 minutes ago, Jovahexeon Joranvexeon said:

Hide contents

Apparently there are 30 empty fighter slots left open in data. Hihgly suggesting that in addition to the first 6 DLC characters, we may be getting 24 more fighters over the course of Smash Ultimate's lifetime.

Don't know if the number of potential DLC fighters needs to be in Spoilers, but still POGGERS!

Some considerations on the datamined stuff:

Spoiler

*the remixes are absolutely amazing, the composers really went out of their way this time. Also, extremely surprised Megaman got so many new remixes, almost as much as Castlevania. Personal favourites include F-Zero Medley, Crocodile Cacophony and Bloody Tears/Monster Round. Shame not every franchise represented gets new remixes, and i don't mean just Sonic or Final Fantasy, but stuff like Xenoblade or Kid Icarus. Oh well.
*World of Light is slightly disappointing. The spirit combinations really do bring up endless possibilities, but it's clearly no Subspace Emissary, the cutscenes are very basic. Good on Sakurai though for managing to keep the surprise of Galeem's edgy brother hidden so far, wasn't expecting that.
*despite the slots, i wouldn't count too much on many DLCs after the 5 of the current round, especially considering that just those are gonna take an entire year to make and Sakurai has shown he doesn't want to spend too much time  (nor he'd be likely to just step down and let someone else continue because of his ego). I'm willing to believe however in simple Echo fighters like the Octolings released here and there since i can imagine they shouldn't take much effort to do (really, the biggest challenge in making new fighters is just implementing new copy abilities for Kirby, Sakurai himself admitted that, codingwise it has to be a nightmare).

• Thumbs Up 1

19 hours ago, Teoskaven said:

Some considerations on the datamined stuff:

Hide contents

*the remixes are absolutely amazing, the composers really went out of their way this time. Also, extremely surprised Megaman got so many new remixes, almost as much as Castlevania. Personal favourites include F-Zero Medley, Crocodile Cacophony and Bloody Tears/Monster Round. Shame not every franchise represented gets new remixes, and i don't mean just Sonic or Final Fantasy, but stuff like Xenoblade or Kid Icarus. Oh well.
*World of Light is slightly disappointing. The spirit combinations really do bring up endless possibilities, but it's clearly no Subspace Emissary, the cutscenes are very basic. Good on Sakurai though for managing to keep the surprise of Galeem's edgy brother hidden so far, wasn't expecting that.
*despite the slots, i wouldn't count too much on many DLCs after the 5 of the current round, especially considering that just those are gonna take an entire year to make and Sakurai has shown he doesn't want to spend too much time  (nor he'd be likely to just step down and let someone else continue because of his ego). I'm willing to believe however in simple Echo fighters like the Octolings released here and there since i can imagine they shouldn't take much effort to do (really, the biggest challenge in making new fighters is just implementing new copy abilities for Kirby, Sakurai himself admitted that, codingwise it has to be a nightmare).

Spoiler

My ideal echos at this point are Ninten, Octoling, Zeraora and Black Shadow.  All of them fit the role perfectly

• The title was changed to Super Smash Bros. Ultimate (December 7th) - PLEASE SPOILER TAG LEAKS
Spoiler

Odd no Tails or Knuckles Mii costume? Either the disrespect train for my boy continues, or putting on the tin foil hat as perhaps he's getting in as DLC!

2 minutes ago, TAILS FOR SMASH ULTIMATE said:
  Hide contents

Odd no Tails or Knuckles Mii costume? Either the disrespect train for my boy continues, or putting on the tin foil hat as perhaps he's getting in as DLC!

Spoiler

I've sent a message to DasVergeben.  Going to see if he can confirm it.

Well so long as we're back on the subject of echoes:

Spoiler

I think I'll go over the final roster one more time and see what my expectations/wishes are.

- Slippy/Peppy echoes for Falco/Fox respectively would be neat if for no other reason than to finally have the entire Starfox crew in one Smash game. If it were up to me I'd have Peppy take the Dr Mario approach and be slower/stronger, while Slippy has a Blaster that can actually kill for a change instead of harrass.

- I'd love Pachirisu as a Pika echo, but I still have to admit that's probably a super biased pick. Maybe Electro Ball instead of Thunder Jolt (flies straight instead of hugging the ground) and Discharge instead of Thunder (does the shockwave part of Thunder immediately as if you're always hit by it, but has more endlag and you obviously don't benefit from the thunderbolt part of the move as a combo/meteor tool).

- I actually would've rather put Poo or Paula over Ness if anything, considering they're the origin of most of Ness's specials and final smash. I thought this less likely at first because they play a role in Ness's final smash currently, but apparently Robin still keeps his Chrom assist final smash even though he's a playable character now? We'll see. I just don't like Ninten tbh lmao

- I feel like if anyone deserved a place as a second F Zero rep, it was Samurai Goroh - he's probably the next most famous character behind Falcon, mainly on account of the reputation the Fire Stingray has as a god tier racer. Obviously he's still an AT, and let's be real here, isn't Black Shadow actually pretty obscure by comparison? I have my doubts we'll really get anything out of this.

- I think Impa is pretty overrated tbh, but as a Sheik echo she works just fine. Maybe retool her so she's built around single, precise defensive strikes to contrast from Sheik's aggressive combo-focused playstyle.

- Hilda's a super obvious Zelda echo choice. The fact that we don't actually have a Hilda pallette currently makes me think this is a good consideration in Sakurai's mind too.

- Plusle and Minun over Pichu? Would be interesting to see them trade off some of the ridiculous agility Ultimate Pichu has now to attack twice, and it'd be nice to see the theorized plans Sakurai had for them in Brawl come to fruition.

- Galacta Knight would've worked pretty cozily as a Meta Knight echo, but seeing as he's basically one of Meta's costumes at the moment I'm not banking much on this.

- I'd still go for Raiden as a Snake echo. Introduce some small differences they already had in MGS2 - cartwheel as a running move over Snake's roll, the doublekick as a neutral A finisher, etc. Then maybe use Stinger / Claymores over Nikitia / C4 respectively?

- Dixie's pretty simple for the most part, just give Diddy DK's recovery, maybe swap out a move or two so she doesn't have any that emphasizes a tail (apparently they already did this with Diddy? I could be wrong)... I wonder how Tiny Kong's bowgun would work as a popgun replacement?

- I would still honest to god take Tails as an echo if it meant getting him playable in this game at all. It didn't seem to bother Sega any when they gave Knux a homing attack, so why not here?

- I know that Palutena herself only scratched the surface of the items that could potentially be used in a Smash moveset - especially now that her previous customs have been consolidated into a single moveset. I'm not the most fond of Medusa, but she has a pretty similar body type to Palutena so I'm okay with that. My personal picks would be Slip Shot over Explosive Flame, Spite over Counter, and... well, is it kinda crazy that I kinda wanna see an Eggplant spell instead of Autoreticule?

I really should stop making lists when some subject of characters comes up.

1 hour ago, Blacklightning said:

Hide contents

- I would still honest to god take Tails as an echo if it meant getting him playable in this game at all. It didn't seem to bother Sega any when they gave Knux a homing attack, so why not here?

I really should stop making lists when some subject of characters comes up.

I'd take anything for him to be in this game. Echo, regular. Anything. ANYTHING!

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Blacklightning said:

Hide contents

- Dixie's pretty simple for the most part, just give Diddy DK's recovery, maybe swap out a move or two so she doesn't have any that emphasizes a tail (apparently they already did this with Diddy? I could be wrong)... I wonder how Tiny Kong's bowgun would work as a popgun replacement?

Spoiler

All of Diddy's tail moves were removed which makes me think they at least considered adding Dixie. 

She even has her own gun that fires bubblegum so there's nothing to worry about, really. Just slap a different animation over DK's up B, give her some hair whip attacks and call it a day. 

• Thumbs Up 2

6 minutes ago, blueblur98 said:

remember everyone, video blocker is your friend.

I know right. I'm surprised more people don't use it along with unspoiler to avoid stuff

• Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, Jovahexeon Joranvexeon said:

Dataminers have found something quite interesting.

Hide contents

Interesting, but I don't really believe in the implications of that for a second.

Spoiler

I really hope nobody's going to get themselves hyped for a further twenty-four DLC characters because I would be genuinely astonished if that happened.  Probably the developers were just being over-cautious.

• Thumbs Up 3

6 hours ago, FFWF said:

Interesting, but I don't really believe in the implications of that for a second.

Hide contents

I really hope nobody's going to get themselves hyped for a further twenty-four DLC characters because I would be genuinely astonished if that happened.  Probably the developers were just being over-cautious.

Well, there is the inkling that

Spoiler

14 of the remaining dlc characters are unique while the 16 other additions could simply be echo fighters.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Jovahexeon Joranvexeon said:

Well, there is the inkling that

Hide contents

14 of the remaining dlc characters are unique while the 16 other additions could simply be echo fighters.

Spoiler

I'm sorry, 30 DLC CHARACTERS??

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:
Spoiler

Spoiler

There is placeholder spots for them actually.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:
  Reveal hidden contents

If this is the last Smash game, I wouldn't be surprised if they decide to support it over several years. Still... That is a lot. I don't wanna get my hopes up considering we'd have like 100 characters at that point.

10 minutes ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:
  Hide contents

7 minutes ago, MarioAmigosYT said:
  Hide contents

There is placeholder spots for them actually.

Well,  Nintendo did say that they've got big DLC plans for their first party titles. 

And given the Switch's planned lifetime,  that much dlc certainly sounds more likely than a Smash Ultimate 2.

Could someone share what Sonic stuff is in the game (using spoiler tags). I am on the fence about getting smash, but a lot of Sonic content could sway me. Thanks!

News on the dataming front. 

Spoiler

Codec calls

are apparently back according to them showing up in the coding. Here's the weird thing though. 

Spoiler

Only for Brawl characters apparently.