• Simon
  • Richter
  • Robin
  • Marth
  • Bayonetta
  • Villager
  • Jigglypuff
  • Red/Leaf

Playing as Simon and Richter is an interesting experience since I am used to them whipping forward with the press of a button, but here I need to remember that it's their f-tilt.  The F-Smash version is from what I can understand a reference to a fairly obscure trick in Rondo of Blood and DXC (tap forward twice to extend the whip).

With Ryu's Classic Mode, I took things in a completely different direction as I was doing manual inputs the whole time for my Flaming Hadoukens, Hadoukens, Hurricane Kicks, and Shouryukens.  But the moment it got to the final battle against both Hands, and Ken was my team mate, I just pulled up a track from the animated movie "Of the Beloved, Of Sadness, Of Responsibility" or as it's better known:

I only felt it appropriate since that film was the origin of the Dramatic/Buddy Battle mode in Street Fighter Alpha and USFII, which involved Ryu and Ken double teaming against Bison for the film's finale, with both Hands representing Bison using his Psycho Power.

Come to think of it...

187662.jpg

I did not expect Sakurai to make an homage to the Street Fighter II' (DASH) Champion Ed. poster for that final Ryu & Ken vs Hands fight.  It's just the size of Bison in comparison to Ryu here that seems to be the connection.

• Thumbs Up 2

So if I do Spirits, do I still get to fight to unlock the characters? Or do I auto get them? So far Classic lets me relieve the old days of fighting to unlock the characters. Does spirits do the new challenger thing?

So I listened to a couple of tracks from this game.

.....hhhngnfbfbfgh ITS SO GOOD. I didn't think I'd like the Castlevania versions so much holy shit.

Pokemon comes second place, and

Spoiler

I didn't think they would add and  revamp the Zinnia theme tho!

Also the piano version of the main theme got me.

Alright so I'm two bosses into World of Light and I feel like just saying this straight - WoL is fucking infuriating.

It has its moments, don't get me wrong. There are plenty of times where clever references and interesting gimmicks come together well, lending a sense of stretching imagination that most people haven't seen since the 8-bit days of trying to decipher a tiny glob of pixels into something that resembles a character. There's also plenty of times where it pulls that Metroidvania backtracking thing and makes you search elsewhere for a spirit without which another fight is obnoxious if not literally impossible. And that's padding that didn't really need to be there, but fine, I can put up with it if it means exploring the map requires a detour every now and then.

But way too often, you get the impression that some of these fights weren't even playtested, sometimes to the point that it doesn't feel like actual human beings were expected to complete it. I'm talking "you vs four teamed Yoshis with the knockback turned way up" awful. I'm talking "trying to make 150hp in a stamina fight last through eight fucking metal Megamen and a Dr. Mario" awful. I'm talking "assist trophies that were clearly never designed to be on stage for more than like 30 seconds at a time absolutely wrecking your shit and you can't approach them because they're always teamed up with another fighter" awful. Don't even fucking get me started on how hard it is to chase Peach down when Mario and DK are ganging up on you. In the 75m stage. Without hyperbole I don't think I've ever gotten so mad at a Smash game, and that's even counting random tripping and the Smash Ball mechanic.

A lot of times it feels like designers got so wrapped up in their references that they abandoned the simple concept of being fun. And that's probably the saddest thing about all of this - they were trying way too hard. They could have gone back to something as simple as Melee's adventure mode and people still would have been happy with it. Hell, you can still see flakes of that in the Classic mode, what with everyone having customized enemy ladders and some even with unique bosses. What I wouldn't have given to see that fleshed out further with a few unique setpieces between fights.

But hey, at least mechanically speaking the fighting is still good on its own and that's what most people came to this game for, so I'm happy for that much. =V

EDIT: Also, I don't know if this is controversial or not, but I feel like making an entire franchise's library acessible in My Music actually does me a pretty big disservice rather than a convenience - having to individually tweak music for over 50 stages was already a chore in Smash 4, but having to do it for over a hundred and having as many as 70 tracks to adjust for a given franchise? For fuck's sake at the very least you could highlight which ones have new tracks I've just unlocked so I don't have to check my hand whether I've missed something. Auuuuughhh.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, dbzfan7 said:

So if I do Spirits, do I still get to fight to unlock the characters? Or do I auto get them? So far Classic lets me relieve the old days of fighting to unlock the characters. Does spirits do the new challenger thing?

Fights on the Spirit Board are spaced out the same way they are in VS mode  (seems to be a ten minute time limit between challenges). I haven't played it yet, but I assume WoL is an SSE scenario where once the characters are battled and recruited in the story they are added to the roster.

Quick impressions but I'm having a blast with this game. So much so I lost track of time tonight when I meant to do some work tonight (just one more battle!). The single player in general feels much more inviting and robust (but then again, literally anything is better than Smash 4's single player). Spirit Board is a fun little distraction to collect more Spirits and try some unique battles, though I've lost a few more battles than I care to admit. I assume once I build my collection more some battles will be easier (I really wanted that Pyra spirit...). And classic mode is fun and brisk, with the themed campaigns being a really cute touch; I loved Sonic's campaign due to the history theme and the use of his music in every single stage.

I've also unlocked quite a few characters, and I am in love with Inkling. I don't have an attachment to Splatoon as a series, but their quick and stylish moves are a lot of fun to play with. Didn't know what to make of them the first time I saw them, but man are they a fantastic addition to this roster. BotW Link is also a lot of fun--I used to main Link in Melee but couldn't really play with him as he was in Brawl or 4 despite my best efforts, and this feels much closer to how I used to play. It's a shame he doesn't have a hookshot, but it's a minor issue when he feels quite good to play. And if I want that, I've got Young Link back.

56 minutes ago, Blacklightning said:

Don't even fucking get me started on how hard it is to chase Peach down when Mario and DK are ganging up on you. In the 75m stage.

Worse, your jumping's nerfed in that fight. Got beaten before I could even do anything.

• My Emmerdoods 1

4 hours ago, dbzfan7 said:

The only difference, as far as I've experienced, is in World of Light, you fight characters on Final Destination or Final Destination-type forms of their stages, and you have the backup of whatever Spirits you have equipped and Skill Tree elements you have unlocked (the enemy has no modifiers for character-unlocking battles).  You know who you're going to fight beforehand and can choose your character (though you have to have REACHED them to see who it is - in advance by scrolling around the map, you can only see that there is a character unlock fight).

If you prefer the classic style of having characters pop-up out of nowhere and having to fight them with whoever you last played as, on their stage with accompanying hazards rather than Final Destination form, you'll want to avoid World of Light for a little bit.  Luckily, Classic Mode is plenty interesting to play a bunch of in bulk.

Wanted to give heads up since it's relevant, Game Night's doing a Smash event on the 15th of December (giving everyone time to get characters unlocked, learn stuff, or get the game a week past the launch window). So if you wanna play Smash online with SSMB members, let me know!

• Thumbs Up 2

Playing WoL

Firstly, got a weird glitch with fighting Sagat's spirit fight. I'd been beaten by him for a few times and was struggling, but then when I'd reduced him to half health on one fight, he just...stopped moving. Like, no attempts to attack or anything. If you think I'd exploit a clearly unintentional programming quirk like that then you're goddamn right. 

Also they make the Silver cameo play on Blaze the Cat's spirit fight, that's cute.

• Thumbs Up 1

Yeah I'm a little depressed my boy didn't get to ascend a little bit. I mean I wasn't getting my hopes up too high for a character spot, but no Mii costume and not even a primary spirit(Is only support)? That's sad. Feels like a demotion more than anything. Knuckles lost his mii costume, but at least got promoted to assist trophy. So it feels like an upgrade in status. Shadow ain't in but he's got a legendary status and primary spirit. Eggman has a legendary status spirit too. The other primaries are Chaos, Infinite, Gamma, and Metal Sonic. Man I can't even just play a character and have Tails listed under the name. Can't even have that pleasure it seems. 

7 hours ago, dbzfan7 said:

The other primaries are Chaos, Infinite, Gamma, and Metal Sonic.

And the Chaotix. 

Which honestly surprised me. 

Wanted to give some advice since they heavily jacked up the A.I difficulty for getting new fighters - Bowser is easily the best for getting them. Not only does his attacks hit hard, but if you get them to a decent level of damage and side-B them, his body slam usually ends them. I've managed to beat some of the hardest unlockable fighters using him and this method.

• Thumbs Up 2

4 hours ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

Wanted to give some advice since they heavily jacked up the A.I difficulty for getting new fighters - Bowser is easily the best for getting them. Not only does his attacks hit hard, but if you get them to a decent level of damage and side-B them, his body slam usually ends them. I've managed to beat some of the hardest unlockable fighters using him and this method.

Heavy hitters like Bowser, Ganon, and Roy have been massive time savers when rechallenging fighters I missed the first time. Bowser made short work of Ridley, whose down special does insane damage with the right placement before throwing me off the screen, when I ran into him the first time.

• Thumbs Up 2

Okay, hello, I just want to say a big complaint with WoL:

Spoiler

FUCK THE BOSS

No, not any ol' boss. The Boss, from Metal Gear Solid 3.

Zero Suit Samus, timed stamina battle, poison floor, Garden of Hope Omega, enemy increases defence when takes enough damage.

She is a damn near impossible battle. After a hundred tries, taking several days to beat her, I made an observation about her AI: her goal is to chase after you and mess you up. So I figure, if you're far enough from the edge that you can't be hit from the edge, but not too far that the enemy would have to risk falling to hit you (they'll just refuse), The Boss will jump after you.

Have her follow juuust low enough, jump up above her, down aerial, smack her out of the stage. Easily cheesed.

Otherwise, you will not be able to beat her. She moves too fast, cannot be launched far enough, and is JUST TOO FAST. Some have managed to beat her the intended way, and even they're not sure how they did it.

• Thumbs Up 1

it was a spit in my face to get the assist spirit that heals you upon poison contact towards the end. That would have made the boss a lot more durable.

While we’re talking about Smash, why don’t we create some Classic Mode routes for our wanted characters? I’ll go first:

Celica: Journey to the Temple of Palutena (all battles have Mae-Celica’s Echo Fighter-as Celica’s ally.)

Stage 1: Vs. Ridley on Dracula’s Castle

Stage 2: Vs. Wolf on Town and City

Stage 3: Vs. King K. Rool on Pirate Ship

Stage 4: Vs. Ganondorf on Castle Siege

Stage 5: Vs. Bayonetta on Bridge of Eldin

Stage 6: Vs. Sheik on Palutena’s Temple (with Palutena as an ally)

Boss: Dracula (set to “The Scions’ Dance in Purgatory” for both phases)

2 hours ago, Polkadi~♪ said:

Okay, hello, I just want to say a big complaint with WoL:

Hide contents

FUCK THE BOSS

No, not any ol' boss. The Boss, from Metal Gear Solid 3.

Zero Suit Samus, timed stamina battle, poison floor, Garden of Hope Omega, enemy increases defence when takes enough damage.

She is a damn near impossible battle. After a hundred tries, taking several days to beat her, I made an observation about her AI: her goal is to chase after you and mess you up. So I figure, if you're far enough from the edge that you can't be hit from the edge, but not too far that the enemy would have to risk falling to hit you (they'll just refuse), The Boss will jump after you.

Have her follow juuust low enough, jump up above her, down aerial, smack her out of the stage. Easily cheesed.

Otherwise, you will not be able to beat her. She moves too fast, cannot be launched far enough, and is JUST TOO FAST. Some have managed to beat her the intended way, and even they're not sure how they did it.

Spoiler

I ended up doing this by accident when I had Kirby trying to swallow and spit her back out towards pits. I jumped off and nearly died, but luckily bounced on her head when she was trying to do a recovery move, causing me to get back to the stage, and her to fall straight into a pit.

Pauline and Wily are nightmares to deal with as well, the former only getting beat because I got a lucky turn where Mario’s A.I went stupid and jumped into a pit, letting me finish Peach before DK entered. As for Wily, I had to beat it with Lucas and his heal ability, but the problem was half the time, it bugged out and kept turning to the wrong direction, and since Lucas’s recovery sucks, it means if I got knocked off, that’s it, game over.

Don’t even get me started on the fucking Jeff spirit.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, KHCast said:

Hide contents

it was a spit in my face to get the assist spirit that heals you upon poison contact towards the end. That would have made the boss a lot more durable.

The Boss was still a pain in the ass to deal with even with the poison immunity

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Johnny Boy said:

Hide contents

The Boss was still a pain in the ass to deal with even with the poison immunity

that’s a completely different spirit I’m referring to. This is a legendary support that heals you upon poison contact. Effectively making it easier to survive the boss, if you can dodge well.

Regardless of the rest of the DLC, I’m not giving up hope for Sora! And just in case anyone feels doubtful, let’s all remember HMK’s video from back in May: