Awoo.

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate - DADDY SAKURAI'S WILD RIDE HAS CONCLUDED

Sonictrainer

In the music menu, I turned Roar/Rathalos all the way up on Living Room.  Why?  Because I could (And seeing a doggo in place of Rathalos to this music is godlike)

• Chuckle 1

Mario's short reach really keeps me from enjoying him most of the time tbh. Which is kind of a shame because he has a wide variety of options otherwise - a super simple juggling game, a reflector, a very safe edgeguard and a flashy meteor just to name a few. If it weren't so difficult to land ftilt/fsmash consistently I'd probably play him more.

2 hours ago, tailsBOOM! said:

Any tips for Dracula in WOL?

1 hour ago, tailsBOOM! said:

Got Jeff now

48 minutes ago, tailsBOOM! said:

In the music menu, I turned Roar/Rathalos all the way up on Living Room.  Why?  Because I could (And seeing a doggo in place of Rathalos to this music is godlike)

We'd really appreciate it if you just edited your previous post instead of posting multiple times in a row like this - especially if it's going to be less than an hour apart and contribute as much as a three word sentence.

• Thumbs Up 3

1 minute ago, Blacklightning said:

Mario's short reach really keeps me from enjoying him most of the time tbh. Which is kind of a shame because he has a wide variety of options otherwise - a super simple juggling game, a reflector, a very safe edgeguard and a flashy meteor just to name a few. If it weren't so difficult to land ftilt/fsmash consistently I'd probably play him more.

Kinda how I feel about Young Link. I really really like him. I have always been a Link main. CQC, range, and utility is my style. I also like his speed which Link lacks. But his Spin attack isn't as good as Links, and his short reach makes getting in close to some enemies really hard.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Blacklightning said:

Characters with short range in this game feel like kind of a nightmare with how much weaker your shield is and how much stronger projectiles and swords are. I used to play Mario a lot in the other games but I've stuck with Link this time.

• Thumbs Up 1

Man, piranha Plant is gonna murder since he from the look of things, has the longest range so far. 

Anyway, as expected, Richter and Wii Fit trainer ended up being my go to’s. Had to adjust to richter whip ledge grab, cause I kept just doing his standard recovery. You need to master that online with how often you’ll get juggled 

Just a PSA: Even though Reggie said the remaining DLC characters would be “unexpected”, I’d appreciate it if people didn’t bash other people’s character requests for being “expected”.

• Thumbs Up 2

11 hours ago, KHCast said:

Man, piranha Plant is gonna murder since he from the look of things, has the longest range so far. 

He's also the slowest character, which hurts  him

I have a feeling you have to be a huge fan of these series to get some of their Classic modes.

I understood all the references in Sonic's classic mode. It's really creative what they did here. How they managed to pay homage to all those games using other stages and certain characters and colors to emulate them was really cool.

Spoiler

1st Stage: Sonic Vs. Fox - I'm ashamed I missed this the first time playing it but it's obviously supposed to be Sonic fighting "Tails" in Green Hill Zone. That's cute.

2nd Stage: Sonic Vs. Captain Falcon - He's fighting Captain Falcon on Figure-8 Circuit with Super Sonic Racing playing so this is a Sonic R reference with the F-Zero character as the opponent.

3rd Stage: Sonic Vs. Giant Metal Sonic - Fourside is a huge city and it's playing Open Your Heart so I figured it was an homage to the Perfect Chaos fight in Sonic Adventure. However, the opponent is Metal Sonic so it's a bit of an mixture here. Unless I'm missing something.

4th Stage: Sonic Vs. 3 Kirbys - THIS one was the most clever one to me. It's a Sonic Heroes homage. Sonic is fighting a Blue, Red, and Yellow Kirby on Meta Knight's Halberd with Sonic Heroes playing in the background. The blue, yellow, and red kirby's are obviously representing Team Sonic and the Halberd is the Egg Fleet. The Sonic Heroes song speaks for itself too. Really good.

5th Stage: Sonic Vs. Sheik - This one is Sonic and the Secret Rings. You fight Sheik in a big sandy area to emulate Sand Oasis. Seven Rings in Hand is playing in the background and I guess Sheik is the only one they could find that looked enough like Sharha. Cool.

6th Stage: Sonic V. Incineroar - This one I got right away. It's kind of hilarious too. You fight regular Incineroar on the Windy Hill Zone stage with the Lost World music playing. Incineroar is obviously supposed to be Zavok. He's already red so they didn't have to change him. That was probably the simplest one to do.

Sadly, I'm not too well-versed in any of the other series outside of Sonic so I may not catch any of the references from the others. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Has anyone else had World of Light glitch out to prevent them from getting Little Mac?  He's supposed to be behind a gate that unlocks after beating the Power Plant stage, which I swear I've done, but the gate just won't open.  I've completed literally every other challenge and awoken every other fighter, so to have 100% completion be denied through no fault of my own is really irritating.\

Edit: Never mind, I figured it out.

9 hours ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

Sadly, I'm not too well-versed in any of the other series outside of Sonic so I may not catch any of the references from the others. 

Not all of them are references, a lot of them are just right in the title name.

Like Kirby, Pokemon Trainer or K.Rool's just tell you...Kirby vs. Eaters, Battles against Pokemon, Heavy Weight Battles.

• Thumbs Up 1

12 hours ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

I have a feeling you have to be a huge fan of these series to get some of their Classic modes.

I understood all the references in Sonic's classic mode. (...)

https://www.ssbwiki.com/Classic_Mode_(SSBU)

There you go. Honestly, Sonic has one of the best routes. Most of them have  'theme' not a bunch of references.

Still, I found Pac-Man, Dr. Mario, Mewtwo and Mega Man ending kinda clever

• Thumbs Up 1

A little question about the cutscenes in World of Light:

Spoiler

If Kirby survived Galeem's light beams, why is there spirit battles using him in WoL? You weren't supposed to have a character's trophy to make a copy for the spirits?

• Promotion 1

4 hours ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

I was going to sit here and write why I thought Shulk's campaign was pretty clever and loosely followed the progression of the original Xenoblade but the explanation that each enemy represents one of the Monado Arts and Mega Man is a Mechon/Metal Face probably makes more sense because of the level choices.

The way I had read his route was (spoilers for Xenoblade 1 with big ones in their own tags, because I care just a bit more than Nintendo does):

Spoiler

Falco resembles the Flamii enemies (a kind of flamingo/stork type of monster) that appear around Colony 9, though I wasn't sure what the Lylat System represented.

Sonic resembles the Hoxes (porcupine monsters) in Gaur Plains, and Windy Hill kind of takes after Gaur Plains.

Giant K. Rool made me think of the Telethia you fight in Makna Forest, down to Jungle Japes reminding me of the area.

Little Mac is where I had to stretch a bit, but since he's the first human opponent you face, it'd represent when the Monado is unshackled and can cut humans

Spoiler

(and therefore the Faces).

Cloud being another blonde hair, big sword wielding fighter made me think of

Spoiler

Zanza being reborn, Midgar looking a bit like the destroyed Agniratha where you fight him the first time.

Mega Man was another stretch and I thought he might represent Egil, leader of the Mechons, but I thought it was weird he was placed after Cloud.

Master Hand is basically god of the Smash world and, I mean, Shulk's a Xeno character.

So, yeah, looking back I probably thought about it a lot harder than I needed to. Ha.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Cayenne said:

Hide contents

If Kirby survived Galeem's light beams, why is there spirit battles using him in WoL? You weren't supposed to have a character's trophy to make a copy for the spirits?

Cause Nintendo didn’t think/care that hard about the story. Or galeem can make copies without the need of the original

Toon Link was kinda my favorite route actually so far lol

• Promotion 1

Some of the Classic Modes I've played have definitely been kinda disappointing, and I wish the bonus game had a few different maps, even if each character didn't get a unique one.  Considering it's the only platforming content in the game (unless WoL hides some I haven't reached yet - don't say if it does I'm still working on that lol), they could've put a little more effort in.

But yeah, some have been really fun and clever, and Sonic's was a highlight for sure.  Dr. Mario's made me chuckle too, though I wish they had used more "puzzle game music" for stage 4 and 5 instead of just repeating the Dr. Mario tracks over (I still... really love Brawl's remix of Lip's Theme from Panel de Pon and it is way too underused).

11 hours ago, Cayenne said:

Reveal hidden contents

Spoiler

You could reasonably argue that they're all clones of Meta Knight, since he's pretty much just a Kirby wearing a mask.

Or just not think about it.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Promotion 1

I just did the Elite Beat Agents Spirit Battle, and they had Escape from the City playing as the theme on the Saffron stage! Pretty cool.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Fist Bump 1

Alright so

Spoiler

That Finale was freaking phenomenal in World of Light. I AM THE BOSS! As well as getting to the top, and then having a triple threat match at the end. It was all so cool. Was definitely the highlight and best part of this mode.

It's a shame though World of light really only highlights something awesome at the end. Getting to that spot though....eh. I mean the references and levels are really cool. It's just....you do more or less the same kind of thing without really feeling progression beyond a few points. In Subspace you got rewarded usually with a cutscene after each level, making it feel like I am getting somewhere. It wasn't perfect but I felt progression.

Here you basically just fight a crap ton in what is basically DRAGON BALL FIGHTERZ AGAIN, except without the cool interactions between the fights. I mean at least this game unlike that one had different unique fights, but some were basically begging you to have the resources to block cheap crap, or else you basically are screwed. I did a bunch of Spirit Board matches to get all the characters which also netted me spirits to make the journey mostly comfortable...mostly.

Also....Spirit Boards and Adventure are practically the exact same thing. Literally fights on the spirit board are also in adventure mode. So it feels super redundant. The only difference is in Spirit Boards you go through other crap to get what you want sometimes, while Adventure mode you win and that's that to get a spirit. World of Light is too long for what it offers. Not enough different stuff to warrant it's length. Unlike Subspace I really have no real reason to ever play through the whole thing again. Complete one time perhaps, but not a second whole playthrough.

The game is awesome as a game, but if you're a single player gamer or don't want the stupid Nintendo Online thing, well you really don't got that much else to do. Adventure and Spirit Board is basically the same thing. Classic is Super Awesome and I'll get a kick out of doing that with all the characters. All Star isn't even all star anymore either. Still I enjoy the hell out of this game at it's core. It's core is top notch.

• Promotion 1

Hmm, lotta discussion once again on the DLC. And with good reason, a lot is now on the table. Really could be anyone. With that said, my personal guesses after Joker has changed slightly.

out there unexpected characters like a Resident Evil character, Lara Croft, the Dovakin or Doom Guy, Neku, etc. i think are more likely now. I’m wary of 1st party guys like Master Chief, but it is a highly discussed choice among fans, and with Nintendo and Microsoft’s friendship growing, it’s a definite option. And yeah I’d say Rayman and Geno are still possibilities, although lowered in my radar 

of course there’s still the discussion of the square character, and if it’s not Lara, then I still am guessing either Sora or a Dragon Quest guy. DQ now that we know the first dlc character(and one that did generate the expected hype needed to drive people to pre order the pass) doesn’t need to worry about selling the pass as much, and as such I can definitely see as a option to promote the franchise in the west, so if it’s not Sora, I can see them for sure.

In terms of Nintendo, I still think we’ll get a rep or two, but in terms of what franchises? Likely Metroid and Fire Emblem tbh. Metroid Prime 4 is coming up and FE seems to always get promotion for its new titles.

Reggies words implies it won’t be expected, so that’s making the speculation both difficult and fun. Wonder when we’ll get the next reveal.

• Thumbs Up 1

Finally clear Classic mode with intensity of 9.9. Can ya'll guess who that character was?B)

Hint: It wasn't a Nintendo rep character.

Challenge: Each person can only guess the character once.

@Ruomarta Mega Man. That's my guess.

Anyways, beat World of Light this morning. Ended with 100% since I went out of my way to fight everything on every map cause I wanted to unlock stuff on the ability chart.

Spoiler

I actually think the mode becomes a lot more interesting once you get to The Dark Realm, but the best part is easily The Final Battle. Makes sense that Palutena and Bayonetta are the final two characters you save considering everything going on, but I wasn't expecting to free Master Hand and Crazy from Galeem and Dharkon's control. Even MORE than that, Master Hand sticking around to help for a bit and us getting to PLAY as him after all of these years without some glitch, cheat or mod!? That was absolutely fantastic. And the build up for you climbing your way up to where Galeem and Dharkon are and then doing a good old fashioned Boss Rush? I really liked that a lot. For those of you reading those that have beaten the mode already, who was your final team for this part? I decided to go a little personal with it and make it Mario, Sonic and Mega Man. Aside from the "Three Kings of Platforming" shtick, they were my three childhood heroes and the entire reason I got into gaming. I've always wanted a game or a story where all three of them teamed up to take down some huge threat and this was the perfect chance to finally make that happen. I couldn't pass it up. Also, that 3-way fight, though. That was a very cool concept and it was executed very well without feeling balls-to-the-wall difficult or way too easy. I ended up cycling through everyone, but I somehow got an extra stock and ended up finishing off Galeem and Dharkon at the same time with the good ol' Super Jump Punch. Felt super satisfying.

All in all, I do think WoL went on WAY longer than it needed to, but it didn't get boring for me like FighterZ Story Mode did since the matches kept switching things up and the gameplay still felt really engaging, even when the CPUs were being total BS. There should have been more cutscenes, though. That's where FighterZ did better as keeping my interest in a different way. I guess they're both opposites. FighterZ had the cutscenes and characters moments/interactions while WoL had the gameplay and interesting scenarios. It basically felt like "Event Matches: The Campaign". I suppose that both helps and hinders it, but in the end, I did enjoy it very much. I might do New Game+, but not anytime soon. Gonna just play normal Smash matches and work on Classic Mode.

Gotta say, though, I REALLY love this game so much. There are problems I have with it, but I'm still having a great time and don't find myself hating to play it like I did with Smash 4. I don't think I'll have any interest in playing any new Smash games after this one, though. It's way too hard to top.