Awoo.

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate - DADDY SAKURAI'S WILD RIDE HAS CONCLUDED

Sonictrainer

Lots of people would probably be down to have their character in Smash bros without compensation. I don’t think it really means much, given as neat as Cuphead is, there are characters that probably are more heavily desired that Nintendo would see as worth the money if it means making headlines. And as it was said before, shovel knight would likely be the indie character before Cuphead as he’s been much longer desired as well as already having a presence in Smash. I don’t see a indie character personally as one of the remaining spots. But I wouldn’t be mad if Cuphead showed up either

• Thumbs Up 3

Thing is, Smash was made as a tribute all video gaming throughout history. Cuphead, while certainly a far more acceptable candidate than Goku or Mickey Mouse, is designed as a tribute to 1930s cartoons, a not so video game rooted media. Sure, many Smash characters take influences from old cartoons, but they quickly grew to something that can stand out from said influences. Where as Cuphead deliberately celebrates the art it's inspired by. 

Everybody remembers it for it's unique artstyle, but from a glance, I don't think the gameplay itself looks like anything new that wasn't done already. (Here I go again, judging a game I didn't even play yet 😖)

Besides, I don't think Cuphead's signature rubberhose animation can translate well if it were in 3D, at least not easily.

• Thumbs Up 1

25 minutes ago, SupahBerry said:

Besides, I don't think Cuphead's signature rubberhose animation can translate well if it were in 3D, at least not easily.

It could, as much does. Only problem is his lack of moves.

14 minutes ago, Jovahexeon Fitzroy said:

Only problem is his lack of moves.

Captain Falcon, Duck Hunt, Isabelle, and Villager's up-B all want a word with you.

1 hour ago, KHCast said:

Lots of people would probably be down to have their character in Smash bros without compensation. 

Most companies demand compensation.  Look at the number of Final Fantasy songs LOL.  Sakurai couldn't do as much as he wanted due to SE and has stated it took a long time (Which possibly would have been spent on other things).  

43 minutes ago, SupahBerry said:

Game-And-Watch show's it doesn't need to be done.

13 minutes ago, Jovahexeon Fitzroy said:

It could, as much does. Only problem is his lack of moves.

Friendly reminder that we've had characters accepted with literally none and have been getting them as far back as the original N64 title. As long as the general focus of their original gameplay is adapated well enough, I don't think anyone will mind if they have to fill in some gaps.

That being said I still feel like an indie rep is pretty unlikely for a playable slot, again if for no other reason than Shovel Knight probably would have gotten it any other time.

• Thumbs Up 5

9 hours ago, tailsBOOM! said:

Look at the number of Final Fantasy songs LOL

You’re comparing indie game devs...to Square Enix of all companies? Basing the nature of how others would cooperate with Nintendo off of them seems pretty...not right. Square are known for being overprotective of FF and their franchises in general. Not every company has that legal/power stick up their ass making them difficult to work with 

• Thumbs Up 2

I don't think Cup head is getting into Smash, but as a general rule it's best to not rule out anything. Most of the reasons presented have been either contradicted in the past or could easily be going forward.

• Promotion 1

1 minute ago, Wraith said:

I don't think Cup head is getting into Smash, but as a general rule it's best to not rule out anything. Most of the reasons presented have been either contradicted in the past or could easily be going forward.

My reasoning too.  It isn't impossible like, per se, Kratos, Son Goku or Hank Hill, so at this point we should just wait and see if it will happen!

For that matter, a dev saying “we’d love to see our character in Smash” at this point seems a bit weird to me. Idk, I’d assume they’d wanna keep tight lipped to not draw speculation, so the suprise was more genuine. Why ask for or tease the character if they were getting in and you knew that?

Then again, dragon quest has been teased a bit and I’m almost certain that’s getting in, so who knows 

49 minutes ago, tailsBOOM! said:

My reasoning too.  It isn't impossible like, per se, Kratos, Son Goku or Hank Hill, so at this point we should just wait and see if it will happen!

Wait wait wait... how would Kratos be impossible? He's a game character, so he's AT LEAST possible.

I would like to see a true Western rep in Smash, like Spyro, Crash, or Banjo. And no, Diddy, K. Rool, and D. Samus don't count, as they are owned by Nintendo.

14 minutes ago, PublicEnemy1 said:

I would like to see a true Western rep in Smash, like Spyro, Crash, or Banjo.

To think we almost had the latter in Melee.

• My Emmerdoods 1

31 minutes ago, PublicEnemy1 said:

Wait wait wait... how would Kratos be impossible? He's a game character, so he's AT LEAST possible.

No Nintendo history whatsoever (Only Playstation)

Also, 2 and a half hours for non-subs to Nairo to register for Naifu Wars and compete for the chance to win it all and in doing so get to compete at a  Smash Major, Metroid Prime Saga! Tournament starts a 1PM EST!

https://smash.gg/tournament/ultimate-naifu-wars-trek-to-prime-saga/details

So we’re getting some kind of something on Saturday regarding Persona 5. Maybe a Smash trailer by pure luck or something, or am I just too optimistic.

10 minutes ago, Perkilator said:

So we’re getting some kind of something on Saturday regarding Persona 5. Maybe a Smash trailer by pure luck or something, or am I just too optimistic.

It says Persona 5 the animation... So I think not

It's announcing a special Persona-related broadcast immediately after the final episode of the anime, with more details on P5R, widely speculated to be the new Persona 5 version.  So it's indirectly relevant to Smash in that this might be a version of P5 that'll come to the Switch, but it's probably less likely that it'll include details on Joker in Smash.

• Thumbs Up 1

They have announced Persona 5: The Royal, and they seem to be teasing a playable female protagonist.

Spoiler

Dataminers have apparently found data referencing it in Joker's color scheme data so... it's more than likely she'll be playable in Smash too.

So Pereden, a mod in Nairo's chat who is heavily fluent in Japanese (I think she might be Japanese even, don't know for sure), said this about the dialogue in the P5R trailer:

So, that might not be Joker.  Joker seems to possibly be a guy still in it (The female might be another character like a definitive edition, I'm guessing)

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Nix said:

They have announced Persona 5: The Royal, and they seem to be teasing a playable female protagonist.

Reveal hidden contents

Dataminers have apparently found data referencing it in Joker's color scheme data so... it's more than likely she'll be playable in Smash too.

Not quite. Word out is that is that she's a new character, possibly even a confidant, but not quite a female protagonist.

• Thumbs Up 2

The datamining mentioned above is described in the following tweet:

Spoiler

Additionally, here's an actually complete translation of the dialogue in the teaser video:

Goro: What do you think of the Phantom Thieves?

???: I think helping people is a wonderful thing, but if I had to say, I don’t like them. I don’t think the Phantom Thieves’ methods will make the world a better place or help anyone. In the end, I feel like you can only solve that yourself.

1 hour ago, Jovahexeon Fitzroy said:

Not quite. Word out is that is that she's a new character, possibly even a confidant, but not quite a female protagonist.

I mean, ultimately, we don't know and I'm definitely making a lot of large assumptions based on what we do know and the datamines.  But her being a playable protagonist and being a new character aren't mutually exclusive ideas.

It could be a FES situation with her being a new Wild Card protag in an extra campaign, but I guess we'll find out sometime in April.

Related to a question I asked earlier, do you guys believe we SHOULD have a true western character in Smash (as in, not connected to any Japanese IP)? Like, Japan has a lot of good gaming icons, but so does the west. I believe they deserve to have a character in.

• Thumbs Up 1

17 minutes ago, PublicEnemy1 said:

Related to a question I asked earlier, do you guys believe we SHOULD have a true western character in Smash (as in, not connected to any Japanese IP)? Like, Japan has a lot of good gaming icons, but so does the west. I believe they deserve to have a character in.

Definitely.  I also believe we will get one, whether it's a face well known to contemporary fans like Rayman, Doomguy/Slayer, Ezio, Scorpion, Sub-Zero, BJ Blazkowicz; an indie character like Sans, Frisk, Chara, Shantae,  Goat from Goat Simulator, Cuphead/Mugman, or Hollow Knight; or a long-forgotten icon like Commander Keen (Who, at the very least, will get a spirit or costume if Doomguy or Blazkowicz gets in as id loves shoehorning him into everything, to the point that he's Blazkowicz's grandson and the ancestor of Doomguy, as well as having little cameos in Doomguy and Quake).

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, tailsBOOM! said:

Definitely.  I also believe we will get one, whether it's a face well known to contemporary fans like Rayman, Doomguy/Slayer, Ezio, Scorpion, Sub-Zero, BJ Blazkowicz; an indie character like Sans, Frisk, Chara, Shantae,  Goat from Goat Simulator, Cuphead/Mugman, or Hollow Knight; or a long-forgotten icon like Commander Keen (Who, at the very least, will get a spirit or costume if Doomguy or Blazkowicz gets in as id loves shoehorning him into everything, to the point that he's Blazkowicz's grandson and the ancestor of Doomguy, as well as having little cameos in Doomguy and Quake).

No offense, but I’m surprised you didn’t mention Crash. But then again, who knows his chances.