Awoo.

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate - DADDY SAKURAI'S WILD RIDE HAS CONCLUDED

Sonictrainer

So I’m curious. If Bethesda WAS to get a rep in Smash, who would you like to see? Dovakhin/Dragonborn, or Doom Marine?

A77eadpf_400x400.jpg

latest?cb=20160530165618

I could see either, and realistically I’d say doom marine has the better chance since he’s a actual established character as opposed to an avatar, on top of having a longer historical place in the gaming world, but my personal bias leans more on Dovakhin since Skyrim is such a historic landmark of the gaming industry, as well as his obvious move set potential including dragon shouts, swords/axes/etc, and magic. On top of that, we do have avatars already in Smash bros so there’s precedent. We could certainly also have different races as alts, since we’ve seen character swaps already work for certain characters like Bowser Jr. and Olimar. The possible hurdles I can see though for him are, obviously Doom Guy himself, as well as the possibility of Steve from Minecraft. Should Steve get in, that’s another avatar character on top of the already 2 we have(Villager and Mii’s). 

2 hours ago, KHCast said:

So I’m curious. If Bethesda WAS to get a rep in Smash, who would you like to see? Dovakhin/Dragonborn, or Doom Marine?

A77eadpf_400x400.jpg

latest?cb=20160530165618

I could see either, and realistically I’d say doom marine has the better chance since he’s a actual established character as opposed to an avatar, on top of having a longer historical place in the gaming world, but my personal bias leans more on Dovakhin since Skyrim is such a historic landmark of the gaming industry, as well as his obvious move set potential including dragon shouts, swords/axes/etc, and magic. On top of that, we do have avatars already in Smash bros so there’s precedent. We could certainly also have different races as alts, since we’ve seen character swaps already work for certain characters like Bowser Jr. and Olimar. The possible hurdles I can see though for him are, obviously Doom Guy himself, as well as the possibility of Steve from Minecraft. Should Steve get in, that’s another avatar character on top of the already 2 we have(Villager and Mii’s). 

Do we REALLY want the Todd Howard-related crap that'd happen if he made it in?  Plus, there are plenty more characters beyond the two, such as BJ Blazkowicz, Commander Keen (Who id loves shoehorning into everything, such as being the relative of both Doom Guy and Blazkowicz), Fallout characters, etc. 

Fallout has little presence on the switch compared to these two, and the other Bethesda characters outside fallout certainly don’t hold a candle in icon-icy to Skyrim or Doom. Both of those are landmarks, and since Smash is about celebrating gaming history, it makes sense to go with those two for most likely Bethesda rep.

Wolfenstein was one of the  first shooting games, debuting in 1981.  It's very iconic, and it also had a sequel that was one of the first ever 3d shooters (Wolfenstein 3D).  It's been around longer than Mario, and B.J. Blazkowicz has been shooting up Nazis on millions of screens.  It's hard to be more iconic than that. 

Is a wolfeinstein character in high demand though? And also given it’s close relation to topics like Nazis, I wonder if it’s inclusion would be deemed “too political” for Nintendo tbh.

3 minutes ago, KHCast said:

Is a wolfeinstein character in high demand though? And also given it’s close relation to topics like Nazis, I wonder if it’s inclusion would be deemed “too political” for Nintendo tbh.

This is the same game with a witch who kills angels and a teenager who basically has the devil by his side IIRC.  Political isn't really a thing when it comes to Smash

29 minutes ago, tailsBOOM! said:

This is the same game with a witch who kills angels and a teenager who basically has the devil by his side IIRC.  Political isn't really a thing when it comes to Smash

Neither of those are grounded exactly on real life, especially real life groups/militias founded on ideals of antisemeticism, racism, general hate, genocide, etc. let alone let’s not consider the fact that Nazis are a current “political” group once again vocally alive and actually have defenders batting for their views and “freedom of speech”.

the point is, including a character founded on the idea of killing Nazis in a family oriented party fighter game while fine to most, is still sending a political message, which Nintendo themselves have stated how they don’t want to send those kind of messages in their games regardless of context or ethics or morals.

4 hours ago, KHCast said:

the point is, including a character founded on the idea of killing Nazis in a family oriented party fighter game while fine to most, is still sending a political message, which Nintendo themselves have stated how they don’t want to send those kind of messages in their games regardless of context or ethics or morals.

Not that I think a Wolfenstein character is likely (for completely different reasons at that), but nah. If ever there were a reason for a character not to show up, it wouldn't be because of politics. 

Unlike certain stages made by fans in Stage builder, a character, Nintendo can easily just tweak what they mention about the character, or just pull a LEGO Indiana Jones and easily not mention Nazis with the character. Pretty similar to how they induct quite a few M-rated characters anyway.

• Thumbs Up 1

35 minutes ago, Jovahexeon Ogilvie Maurice said:

Not that I think a Wolfenstein character is likely (for completely different reasons at that), but nah. If ever there were a reason for a character not to show up, it wouldn't be because of politics. 

Unlike certain stages made by fans in Stage builder, a character, Nintendo can easily just tweak what they mention about the character, or just pull a LEGO Indiana Jones and easily not mention Nazis with the character. Pretty similar to how they induct quite a few M-rated characters anyway.

Seeing the return of Staatmeister and the Master State would be a pretty funny callback to the SNES Wolfenstein now that you mention it.

• Thumbs Up 1

Well, the next character (if not the next two characters, which I suppose I’ll take everyone’s word for) will surely be revealed at E3 this year, if not sooner. Glad I can go to E3 on June 13th to see the trailer on repeat! And I’ll still be able to see it on the Direct on June 11th!

Well, the next character (if not the next two characters, which I suppose I’ll take everyone’s word for) will surely be revealed at E3 this year, if not sooner. Glad I can go to E3 on June 13th to see the trailer on repeat! And I’ll still be able to see it on the Direct on June 11th!

• Thumbs Up 1

I think leak is the appropriate word. Because it's people taking the piss on everything. Which just like if you did that literally that would cause anger and frustration. Which is what leaks seem to do more than anything else.

• Chuckle 1

Whether or not Phoenix Wright gets picked for Smash Ultimate, it does do my heart good to see him consistently rank highest in polls when it comes to Capcom reps for getting into Smash that involve him.

That's something no other Capcom rep can claim.

Heck, out of 718 characters, he polled at 13th place.
Love how even Source Gaming called him "the king of Capcom reps".

• Thumbs Up 1

>Person says dragon quest is the more iconic franchise compared to kingdom hearts and that’s what would keep Sora out compared to erdrick.

maybe in japan, but outside that? Lol what.

• Absolutely 1

Well damn. The man makes a pretty compelling case. There is still the slight chance that the Google theory leak could be true, but it's all the while liable to be false.

I'll admit, the biggest red flag for me was Artorias. Well, him and Ryu Habasha.

Ryu isn't that far out of left field, Ninja Gaiden already has strong association with the NES, and it's nothing to do with violent content or what have you either, otherwise we wouldn't have Bayonetta, or even Joker present. 

Artorias, I understand. He doesn't have much of any association with Nintendo, nor would I deem him so popular to be included as a character despite association, like Joker was, and even in that case, Joker was a very special case due to Persona's wide-spread popularity, Scramble coming to Switch, and Sakurai just being a downright Persona fanboy. 

• Promotion 1

Ryu Hayabusa makes complete sense.  Koei Tecmo is the last big Japanese publisher without a character, and they have a long history with Nintendo.  And Ryu Hayabusa is the face of Koei Tecmo

• Thumbs Up 1

Erdrick not being there is the biggest red flag for me, since signs do strongly favor his inclusion. Artorias yeah, also red flag, given he’s a dlc character, and making a dlc character a dlc character for smash just seems...off for Nintendo.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Chuckle 1

People just will never learn. Any leak that basically gives people hope for what they want, they'll fight and die on a hill for.

22 minutes ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

Artorias, I understand. He doesn't have much of any association with Nintendo, nor would I deem him so popular to be included as a character despite association

Vaulting off of that. He's also a boss character.  Those are never really the first of a series to get into Smash.

And he doesn't compare to being nearly as known as other more viable DS reps like Solaire.

14 minutes ago, KHCast said:

making a dlc character a dlc character

I'll admit I smiled at the irony of this.

11 minutes ago, dbzfan7 said:

People just will never learn. Any leak that basically gives people hope for what they want, they'll fight and die on a hill for.

Well, there was the infamous 4chan ESRB leak that turned out to be 100% true, and the other Smash 4 one had data to support the missing characters or Sakurai himself (He planned on Chrom, there was a symbol for Rhythm Heaven in the icons menu, etc.).  So there is reason to understand that some of these will be true.  Personally, I try to find evidence to support it myself, and until I find it I don't believe it.

5 minutes ago, tailsBOOM! said:

Well, there was the infamous 4chan ESRB leak that turned out to be 100% true, and the other Smash 4 one had data to support the missing characters or Sakurai himself (He planned on Chrom, there was a symbol for Rhythm Heaven in the icons menu, etc.).  So there is reason to understand that some of these will be true.  Personally, I try to find evidence to support it myself, and until I find it I don't believe it.

Indeed but it's taken to the extreme. With some people so convinced and full of themselves they become toxic. It's why speculation is no fun.

• Thumbs Up 3

8 hours ago, Jovahexeon Ogilvie Maurice said:

Whether or not Phoenix Wright gets picked for Smash Ultimate, it does do my heart good to see him consistently rank highest in polls when it comes to Capcom reps for getting into Smash that involve him.

That's something no other Capcom rep can claim.

Heck, out of 718 characters, he polled at 13th place.
Love how even Source Gaming called him "the king of Capcom reps".

I mean, aside from Mega Man...

But he actually made it in, so I guess that doesn't count.

Hey, so here's a reach farther than Mr. Fantastic: what if all of the original Organization XIII were Assist Trophies, with Xemnas as a boss?

Once again, Goku was officially deconfirmed. 

Interesting tidbits:

-Sakurai wants to move smash away from the competitive angle

-he doesn’t like the idea of constantly updating/supporting the same game 

-Smash ultimates concept was finalized December 16th, 2015

-no more Smash ballots, however the one we got was used for Ultimate 

-a character joining smash has advertising effects hence why certain characters may get in despite a lack of Nintendo presence 

-Sakurai played a beta botw to come up with links moveset 

- He believes games shouldn’t be made based on market research 

-The dlc was planned without Sakurai’s consent

-sakurai is not a fan of season passes, that was Nintendo’s call 

-Sakurai didn’t seem to enjoy bringing back every character, so probably safe to assume this is a one time thing 

-Nintendo didn’t even know about the “everyone was here” thing, so a lot of the staff lost their shit too lol

-WoL as a concept existed since Brawl 

-Spirits were a last second idea, probably won’t return in future games

• Thumbs Up 3

Spoiler

An Earthbound villain trailer was supposedly leaked. Knowing how it is these days, take this with a grain of salt.

EDIT: Spoiler tagged