Awoo.

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate - DADDY SAKURAI'S WILD RIDE HAS CONCLUDED

Sonictrainer

Said it already, but not a huge fan of the way he decided to “throw people off” due to his NDA. I feel he could have handled that better without borderline just saying “nah don’t get your hopes up fam”. But, hey, now that this has been revealed, guys like Sora are back on the market lol so not all bad I guess?

They updated the Music section of the Website to have Banjo-Kazooie music.  Here's Spiral Mountain so you don't have to go there

• Thumbs Up 2

Well there you have it. I guess (at least when it comes to video game characters) never doubt what a truck-load of money dumped on somebody's porch can do.

I'm joking, of course. I have no idea how they actually managed this. Maybe blood rituals to Galactus or something. 

Anyway, Banjo's in. I'm... actually happy for him, even though I've only ever played as Banjo in All-Stars Racing. I've seen a full playthrough of the game though. I know what he's about.

30 minutes ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

Well there you have it. I guess (at least when it comes to video game characters) never doubt what a truck-load of money dumped on somebody's porch can do.

I'm joking, of course. I have no idea how they actually managed this. Maybe blood rituals to Galactus or something. 

Anyway, Banjo's in. I'm... actually happy for him, even though I've only ever played as Banjo in All-Stars Racing. I've seen a full playthrough of the game though. I know what he's about.

Again, Banjo was nowhere near as unlikely as people made him out to be. Microsoft has been trying to grow business relations with Nintendo for the past year or so, and gotten praise for doing so. Banjo has been lying dormant for years now. If being in Smash is basically free money and publicity, plus brownie points for playing nice with Nintendo, there's literally no downside to taking it. 

Microsoft get their money easily back from licensing the character, they get to gauge if Banjo sparks interest with consumers, and then if they choose, they get to make a new game and use Smash to advertise it.

• Thumbs Up 5

1 hour ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

Again, Banjo was nowhere near as unlikely as people made him out to be. Microsoft has been trying to grow business relations with Nintendo for the past year or so, and gotten praise for doing so. Banjo has been lying dormant for years now. If being in Smash is basically free money and publicity, plus brownie points for playing nice with Nintendo, there's literally no downside to taking it. 

Microsoft get their money easily back from licensing the character, they get to gauge if Banjo sparks interest with consumers, and then if they choose, they get to make a new game and use Smash to advertise it.

Yeah.

I don't really care. Whatever the reason, I'm not the one to contemplate the how and why when it comes to Nintendo. They're weird and they get shit done. That's all there is to it.

So while I’m hyped for Banjo, I can’t stop thinking of the last two characters. I’m more than ever convinced that if Capcom is getting another rep, which I find likely, it’s gonna be between a RE rep, and Phoenix Wright, and I’m leaning more towards the former. Going off the direct, there was really no sight of Phoenix Wright news or attention to his franchise. instead? We got a entire segment dedicated to Resident Evil and the games being on the switch, introducing both 5 and 6 as coming soon to the platform. They really seem to be pushing that of all the Capcom content the most, and as we just saw with dragon quest, high marketing pushes from Nintendo is worth consideration.

Then there’s the sheer fact that it’s a franchise in public eye currently thanks to RE7 and RE2R and their critical and general acclaim. Compound that with the “what the fuck” factor of a M rated gore centered horror game icon series showing up in Smash, and that’s a lot of buzz I can already predict.(and no Castlevania doesn’t at all fill the “horror” genre imo. It has spooky characters, but is in no way played up to scare you. It’s a platformer with blood pumping adrenaline filled music and cheesy ass writing.).

Phoenix, just kinda sounds like another Banjo. A fan request character, and while that’d be great to get another one for fans, I feel like Banjo was meant to be that and that he’ll be the only “fan service” character. Now, sure he’s got Nintendo ties, a lot of them, and sells decently, so on his own merits, stands a decent shot, but idk, I really think if Nintendo really are wanting “out there unexpected” shock value characters, RE no question would fit that bill. Though maybe I’ll be wrong, at this point I won’t really complain with whoever finishes off the dlc, it seems like a pretty good group already as is 3 characters in.(Though I swear to Christ if you add Bubsy Nintendo...) I just think it’d be cool to see what RE could bring, and have more personal ties to that over Phoenix as I never really got into his series 

18 minutes ago, KHCast said:

Going off the direct, there was really no sight of Phoenix Wright news or attention to his franchise. instead? We got a entire segment dedicated to Resident Evil and the games being on the switch, introducing both 5 and 6 as coming soon to the platform.

Not quite sure it's wise to go off of just this direct. Especially since Phoenix Wright actually got his games trilogy on before these Resident Evil games.

Going off the Dragon Quest reveal, assuming they want to advertise the (hopefully) upcoming Ace Attorney 7, they'll likely wait closer to that game's reveal.

20 minutes ago, KHCast said:

Compound that with the “what the fuck” factor of a M rated gore centered horror game icon series showing up in Smash, and that’s a lot of buzz I can already predict.

Eh, would it really though? They'd have to tone it down anyway and stuff like Bayonetta kind of already stole that thunder of M-rated stuff getting into Smash. And the initial buzz can only get you so far. Stuff being M-rated or gritty itself isn't really the selling factor for stuff in Smash.

Heck, if that were the case, I'd be touting Ace Attorney's own M-rated time as part of the action there too.

24 minutes ago, KHCast said:

if Capcom is getting another rep, which I find likely, it’s gonna be between a RE rep, and Phoenix Wright,

That would be an interesting match. One of Capcom's biggest sellers vs their most requested character for Smash.

• Thumbs Up 1

I personally don't think we'll get another Capcom rep (At least in this pack); I think that since they love to represent their fellow Japanese publishers, Koei Tecmo is going to get a rep, which would almost certainly be Ryu Hayabusa as he's their mascot and has appeared on Nintendo all the way back to the NES.

I also think that we'll probably get one more Western rep, probably Doomguy or (groan) Geralt (groan); a Bandai-Namco rep like Lloyd Irving, Agumon or Nightmare.  We could get something else but I'll still believe in Tails.

• Fist Bump 1

I'd expect Ryu Hayabusa if we're going Koei techmo, but I'd laugh if it was William Adams/Sir Anjinn. I doubt he'd get in over Ryu, but it'd be funny since Nioh is like their breakout star as of late.

• Thumbs Up 1

Any Resi character would be boring after the shock that they got in. At least Phoenix Wright would have an interesting moveset, especially if inspiration is taken from UMVC3.

Hell, I'd argue Dante would have a better chance, at least he's got DMC5 and a more interesting moveset, as well as the M rated merit Resi would have.

• Thumbs Up 1

banjo-kazooie came right out of the blue. i was expecting the dragon quest hero to be today's character reveal, but we got two of 'em instead! a welcome surprise indeed.

• Thumbs Up 2

2 hours ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

Any Resi character would be boring

If they can give multiple sword characters varied fun movesets, and have them feel unique, and even a give a plant charm, I don't at all understand why that couldn’t be the case for Resident Evil. I think that could be a fun franchise to represent. Using your MvC point, that could easily work just as well for someone like Chris, Jill or Wesker. Just have them be a snake/joker hybrid, agile, but tactical. Erdrick is literally just Link+ Robin so I don’t think they have to bring completely new things to the table. And if they did, incorporate zombies in somehow. That was something in MvC2. I don’t at all agree resident evil would be boring as a choice. And the attitude people are taking regarding the prospect really severely underplays the significance of it as a franchise historically in gaming. It’s just as deserving I feel as a Dante or Phoenix Wright 

2 hours ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

Hell, I'd argue Dante would have a better chance, at least he's got DMC5 and a more interesting moveset, as well as the M rated merit Resi would have.

Dante only just got his first game on the switch, and it was only the first. With little to no fanfare. They always make a deal about when Resi gets a game on Switch.

8 minutes ago, KHCast said:

They always make a deal about when Resi gets a game on Switch.

Ehhh, debatable. Depends on what you consider a big deal. Not to mention, how they've handled Resident Evil on Switch lately has been kind of shoddy with business practices. Sure, they bring 'em to the Switch, but that's not necessarily saying much on the matter.

Meanwhile, Ace Attorney gracing all platforms was given quite the amount of fanfare, despite it being the trilogy over again, witht eh HD trilogy even getting some notable shifts and changes.

Whereas with Resi, we've got controversies with how that series has "graced" the Switch. And it's not like Resident Evil has an upcoming game to advertise, which is what stuff like Dragon Quest has.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'd be cool with Leon getting in if he had a Claire alt. I'm way too scared to play zombie games but I liked the designs they had in the RE2 Remake. Also, maybe their Final Smash could be Mr. X just like... Punching someone real hard, hehe.

I'm more attached to Phoenix Wright though. I wonder if he and Apollo are close enough in body shape/height to get an alt of him. Either that or Edgeworth, although if Wright gets some silly moves I think Apollo would be more likely. Like, I can't see them make Edgeworth slip on a banana peel as an attack (like in MvC).

• Thumbs Up 2

9 minutes ago, Radiant Hero Ike said:

Also, maybe their Final Smash could be Mr. X just like... Punching someone real hard, hehe.

Mr. X mii costume for Brawler lol

11 minutes ago, Jovahexeon Ogilvie Maurice said:

Ehhh, debatable. Depends on what you consider a big deal. Not to mention, how they've handled Resident Evil on Switch lately has been kind of shoddy with business practices.

Well, they always will advertise it in a direct if there’s a game dropping close to said direct. I also don’t recall AA or DMC getting full budget ads by Nintendo with actors, a setting, and being over 3 minutes. If they don’t care about promoting it no different than any other port, why go all out like this and give it its own presentation slot? 

I also never said a big deal, just ‘a deal’ that they acknowledge the franchise more heavily it seems compared to others in Capcoms library 

Just now, KHCast said:

Mr. X mii costume for Brawler lol

If you got a full on mask/helmet of Mr. X's face? Heck yeah, my dude.

...Shoot, now I'm thinking of the potential Resident Evil Mii Costumes we could get.

• Thumbs Up 2

7 minutes ago, Radiant Hero Ike said:

...Shoot, now I'm thinking of the potential Resident Evil Mii Costumes we could get.

Unfortunately can’t think of any costumes for swordsman, but brawler and gunner would certainly could get a lot lol. Zombie costume, the protagonists and Wesker, nemesis, etc. lotta possibilities there. And the obvious Spirit potential.

Also, you just know, at some point if he were announced, they’d make a joke about them trying to harvest Piranha Plant lol.

4 minutes ago, KHCast said:

Well, they always will advertise it in a direct if there’s a game dropping close to said direct. I also don’t recall AA or DMC getting full budget ads by Nintendo with actors, a setting, and being over 3 minutes.

Probably has to do more with the fact that there's not really been any new Ace Attorney news to do so with lately on the Switch. As for DMC, yeah, only the one game.

6 minutes ago, KHCast said:

If they don’t care about promoting it no different than any other port, why go all out like this and give it its own presentation slot? 

Never said they didn't care about it. What I question is calling it a "big deal" that they treat it as.

I mean, just today they announced Resi 5 & 6...with two teens playing the Resident Evil 1 remake. Kinda confusing, and almost like they were (rightfully) ashamed of Resident Evil 6. Whatever.

8 minutes ago, KHCast said:

I also never said a big deal, just they acknowledge the franchise more heavily it seems compared to others in Capcoms library 

Okay? It's kinda of a rule of thumb that such alone doesn't really always factor in. Otherwise Mega Man wouldn't have been the first Capcom rep to get into Smash, for obvious reasons given Capcom's lack of acknowledging him at the time. Same with Banjo and Kazooie too.

8 minutes ago, Radiant Hero Ike said:

Hmm, now those we could get alongside Phoenix Wright getting into Smash. Definitely would dig an RE1 Jill costume and Nemesis costume.

• Thumbs Up 2

In terms of costumes, I think that for Erdrick, we'll probably get a few Dragon Quest ones, the Chocobo and Geno

For Banjo, probably Master Chief, Steve and possibly Conker

Speaking of Conker, I think we'll get a color alt based off of Conker's fur color.  Would be nice.  Plus, I'm betting there's a good chance of one based of Gruntilda.

Just now, tailsBOOM! said:

I think that for Erdrick,

I think you mean, Luminary aka "The Hero". Erdrick is an alt.

5 minutes ago, Jovahexeon Ogilvie Maurice said:

Okay? It's kinda of a rule of thumb that such alone doesn't really always factor in. Otherwise Mega Man wouldn't have been the first Capcom rep to get into Smash, for obvious reasons given Capcom's lack of acknowledging him at the time. Same with Banjo and Kazooie too.

Nintendo weren’t the ones picking the base roster for Smash 4, that was specifically Sakurai, hence why we got picks like Wii fit Trainer and Duck Hunt. Nintendo with the DLC for ultimate however has much more say. There’s nothing to suggest they wouldn’t take more business rooted options

Banjo is a easy win for goodwill to the fans, and opens the gate for future collaboration between them and Microsoft, so there was reason to go that route even if as a character he’s been obscure and forgotten by the mass market. 

I actually just started thinking about Ace Attorney Mii Costumes too. Maya's an obvious pick (although which weapon I dunno), and my personal pick would be Franziska. Depending on the alt Phoenix might get, my guess for costumes would be different.

If they pull a Persona, I'd assume we'd also get two or three hats. Blue Badger and Steel Samurai, maybe?

• Thumbs Up 2