Awoo.

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate - DADDY SAKURAI'S WILD RIDE HAS CONCLUDED

Sonictrainer

9 hours ago, KHCast said:

To be realistic, there are some reasonable arguments against a namco rep in general despite the demand for a rep from them 

The twitter user is arguing for, but Billy has some fair counter points 

regarding Capcom, I still personally haven’t been convinced that RE isn’t the most realistic option for them, if we go by marketing and promotion. It got a weird push by Nintendo at E3. So yeah, Phoenix is the rubber up, but coming in first for me is still RE

That's pretty interesting. I didn't know that they had considered other Bamco reps during the development of 4 and there wasn't really a strong candidate outside of Pac-Man or Heihachi and even the latter ultimately couldn't make it in. I mean, I personally disagree, but I admit I have a bias in favor of characters like Lloyd or KOS-MOS. In fairness, times may have changed and, with the exception of Joker because he's pretty new, it's possible Nintendo might have looked into the fan community to figure out who to represent this time. Hero and Banjo felt like they were answering demands for Japan and the West respectively, and they're characters that mean a lot to Nintendo fans. I like to think Lloyd has the mainstream appeal and recognition to fit the bill, but I guess he may not be a surefire seller .

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, KHCast said:

I wonder if Cranky Kong is a potential character for a theoretical 2nd fighters pass or a Smash 6. I know he had a large following for awhile. 

I've literally never heard anyone say him.  Dixie, on the other hand, I've heard plenty of times.  She's the last of the big 3 of the Kongs.

2 minutes ago, tailsBOOM! said:

I've literally never heard anyone say him.  Dixie, on the other hand, I've heard plenty of times.  She's the last of the big 3 of the Kongs.

It was during Smash 4’s run. I know he ranked in a few polls around the time of the ballot, albeit he didn’t rank super high.

So there was a maintenance going on a bit ago...  Hero this week??? 😮 

To be fair, I was expecting it, but to have it be pretty much confirmed by this out of place maintenance is exciting!

10 minutes ago, tailsBOOM! said:

So there was a maintenance going on a bit ago...  Hero this week??? 😮 

To be fair, I was expecting it, but to have it be pretty much confirmed by this out of place maintenance is exciting!

Is there a bunch of discussion around this specific maintenance? I haven’t seen anyone talk about it

Just now, KHCast said:

Is there a bunch of discussion around this specific maintenance? I haven’t seen anyone talk about it

It just randomly happened, with the only announcement being them saying it on the maintenance website.  There's no patch, no changes, etc.  I think it's them trying to prepare the server for his drop so we don't get a repeat of the Phantom Thieves stealing our update.  

22 minutes ago, tailsBOOM! said:

I think it's them trying to prepare the server for his drop so we don't get a repeat of the Phantom Thieves stealing our update.  

I honestly don’t expect it to be as crazy as with Joker, especially if they just randomly drop Hero. Now Banjo on the other hand...oh boy that’ll be the one where we see if Nintendo has truly prepared 

Not a fan of Phoenix Wright so, I'd honestly rather have Crash, Spyro, Lara Croft, Lloyd, Dante (maybe), of course Rayman would be great.

Tails is my dream but realistically I doubt it, maaaaybe if there is a fighter pass 2.

Actually what are the chances of a second fighter pass? Not many I think. 

I still believe a "Playable Assist Trophy Pass" would be extremely popular among players, people have highly requested Waluigi, Shadow, Bomberman, Shovel Knight and I would also add Zero.

13 hours ago, tailsBOOM! said:

I think it's them trying to prepare the server for his drop so we don't get a repeat of the Phantom Thieves stealing our update.  

Could be, but IIRC the trouble people had accessing game servers when Joker launched was actually the result of him dropping between maintenance periods, and not from too many people trying to play at once. 

11 hours ago, Tangled Jack said:

Actually what are the chances of a second fighter pass? Not many I think. 

Extremely unlikely. Between how long it's taking them to release 5 challenger packs, and everything Sakurai had to say about DLC in his book I'm all but certain we're only getting one Fighter's Pass. 

I actually like the idea of more ATs getting promoted into fully-fledged fighters, but that seems like something they'd reserve for a sequel, unfortunately, and it's way too early to be thinking about Smash 6. 

• Thumbs Up 7

I think there's a decent shot at a second pass, because ultimately it's Nintendo who decides.  Sakurai said they were the ones who decided for the first one to even happen.  Considering Splatoon 2 (They're current big money bringer for online) won't be getting any new content, I could see them do at the most 2 more, at the least none.  You also have to wonder what they think when they look at SFV and DBFZ and see their massively successful annual season passes.

I feel like the only one who isn't treating The Roster like Politics and don't care who gets in as long as it's not a non-video Game character 

• Thumbs Up 1

A hypothetical second Fighters Pass could have Sakurai stepping back a bit and let other people dip their toes into designing characters. He's said he's wanted to step back from Smash a few times and maybe DLC characters could be a first step into finding a successor.

23 hours ago, KHCast said:

I wonder if Cranky Kong is a potential character for a theoretical 2nd fighters pass or a Smash 6. I know he had a large following for awhile. 

Cranky getting in over Dixie would make me so mad lol

4 hours ago, ComeAsYouAre said:

I feel like the only one who isn't treating The Roster like Politics and don't care who gets in as long as it's not a non-video Game character 

I don't see how people wanting characters they like to get in Smash is treating it like politics?

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Promotion 1

7 minutes ago, Marcello said:

I don't see how people wanting characters they like to get in Smash is treating it like politics?

The whole Banjo Vs Steve conflict that was widespread in many sites and forums was a massive toxic waste where people took the smash roster way too personally

• Thumbs Up 1

17 minutes ago, ComeAsYouAre said:

The whole Banjo Vs Steve conflict that was widespread in many sites and forums was a massive toxic waste where people took the smash roster way too personally

Okay, but no one here was doing anything of the sort recently, so I don’t see why you felt the need to bring up that you felt like the only one “not taking it serious like politics”? Lol

• Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, ComeAsYouAre said:

I wouldn't really call it political, but you're right, Smash discussion can definitely be toxic. Some people online are way too invested in whether or not "their" character gets in and feel the need to criticize other people's picks that are perceived as a threat to their wishlist being realized: See Banjo vs. Steve, Shantae vs. Shovel Knight, Dragon Quest vs basically every other Square property. 

This thread (and forum in general) has been pretty tame though, IMO, even though I've seen a few people act like babies in status messages. We were seeing a bit of Resident Evil vs. Ace Attorney on the last page but it's been civil. 

• Thumbs Up 2

So we all somehow missed it, but Nintendo of France (Didn't know they had a separate one from Europe, apparently have teased the Hero to come very soon

.While I can't translate the video, the last line of the status is, "Who spoke of Heroes? 🤔"

• Thumbs Up 2

20 minutes ago, KHCast said:

Okay, but no one here was doing anything of the sort recently, so I don’t see why you felt the need to bring up that you felt like the only one “not taking it serious like politics”? Lol

I was talking about the smash community in general  

I don't even understand the point of getting into debates about which DLC characters will make it in since nothing anyone ever talks about online will affect the outcome in any way whatsoever. It's such a royally stupid and worthless endeavor to waste your breath on

Sakurai and Nintendo aren't listening to toxic arguments and internet forumgoers' pwn-o-meter about Banjo vs Steve or Resident Evil vs DMC. They see who people want in Smash and that's all that matters to them and the game itself

EDIT: Before anyone else quotes me and responds to this let me clarify what I'm talking about

"I want X in Smash because [reason]"

Good response: "I don't care for X, I'd rather have Y because [subjective reason]"
Bad response: "X won't/shouldn't be in Smash because [stupid made-up reason]"

If you don't do the bad response then I'm not talking about you and I don't have a problem with you.

• Thumbs Up 2

It’s just fun to speculate? Like idk, it can definitely get out of control, but having educated guesses and seeing if you’re right or not just is a fun little time waste. And it can definitely help excite and hype some, look at the Banjo fans that were arguing that he had a shot this time only to get vindicated in their guesses with the leaks and reveal. It definitely feels satisfying to see the character you guessed at or wanted get in. It’s basic human curiosity to speculate in these situations, so I guess I don’t really understand why people have a issue with the concept of guessing at who the mystery characters are

58 minutes ago, Sean said:

since nothing anyone ever talks about online will affect the outcome in any way whatsoever.

Edit: oh you’re talking specifically about the dlc, never mind that’s fair.

Though I’d argue it can raise awareness for potential future Smash games or potential DLC should they do more, who’s being discussed the most or wanted 

• Thumbs Up 3

Because I'm sick and tired of being told by people who don't care about Geno that Geno is an obscure character from an obscure game (fun fact neither of these claims are true but even if they were true it has no bearing on him being in Smash or not) that either won't make it into Smash or doesn't deserve to be in Smash

Speculating about characters isn't fun anymore. There's so much gatekeeping and it truly is one of the most obnoxious, exhausting things to talk about on the internet regarding this series. I'm pretty much completely over Smash hype at this point and I can thank the fanbase for ruining it for me

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, Sean said:

fun fact neither of these claims are true

Not that your overall point isn’t valid, but exactly why are those claims not true? I mean watching Papageno’s a avid Geno fan and supporter, even he admits Geno is a pretty obscure character being from a one off title from the 90’s. 

For anyone who wonders why Geno even has a fanbase at all, why don't you look up Super Mario RPG's history sometime and how that game was even made in the first place

• Thumbs Up 2

10 minutes ago, Sean said:

For anyone who wonders why Geno even has a fanbase at all, why don't you look up Super Mario RPG's history sometime and how that game was even made in the first place

Okay, but Geno still hasn’t exactly shown up to my knowledge in any official Mario associated titles outside his original game, Smash as a costume, trophy(?) and Spirit. I mean clearly the fact he has a fanbase to this day shows he has relevance to a degree, but I guess I’m referring to mainstream relevance and the effect he had on gaming. I’m not trying to make the argument he’s too irrelevant for Smash or anything, he certainly could be a DLC surprise or a starter in a potential Smash 6(banking on that if it were to happen)I’m just genuinely questioning the contention that he’s by definition not a niche/obscure character. 

Geno is usually among the highest results in polls isn't he? I think people underestimate his popularity. And with him already being referenced in Smash here and there, I'm sure they're well aware there's a lot of people asking for him, it's probably just a matter of time whether he's one of the final DLC fighters or shows up in the next game (whenever that happens).

• Thumbs Up 2

5 minutes ago, Celestia said:

Geno is usually among the highest results in polls isn't he? I think people underestimate his popularity. And with him already being referenced in Smash here and there, I'm sure they're well aware there's a lot of people asking for him, it's probably just a matter of time whether he's one of the final DLC fighters or shows up in the next game (whenever that happens).

I think in recent polls he’s gone down a little bit, but during ultimates earlier days and DEFINITELY during Smash 4’s ballot, he was placing in the top 10 constantly. He’s definitely noticed, especially given Sakurai has personally wanted him in for awhile