Awoo.

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate - DADDY SAKURAI'S WILD RIDE HAS CONCLUDED

Sonictrainer

16 minutes ago, SupahBerry said:

So what new content do you think they'll introduce for this update in the other half of this presentation? Going by Joker's showcase, we can expect Mii costume based on Dragon Quest (Most like some of the other heroes the appear in the final smash), and maybe the return of older Mii costumes as with Tails and Knuckles. Maybe new surprise character costumes altogether. Asides from the stage builder, it also showed the video editor, and the ability to share them via the phone app.

That video was 15 minutes long, making this seven minutes longer. This means they've got a lot of new content to unveil, or the Hero's showcase section will be even grander than Joker's. And that's a very high pedestal to top.

Hopefully, they'll bring back the Geno costume. That was probably my favorite of them.

43 minutes ago, Menace2Society said:

It was also confirmed that Version 4.0 will be coming out soon, most likely the same day Hero is supposed to come. 

I wonder what else they’ll add besides Hero’s data and the fighter adjustments. Maybe Home Run Contest will make an return? Probably not, but I’m still hoping for it.

Spoiler

Code for a How-to-Play for Home Run contest was found months ago alongside Stage Builder, which turned out to be in the game. So it has a great chance to appear.

26 minutes ago, SupahBerry said:

So what new content do you think they'll introduce for this update in the other half of this presentation? Going by Joker's showcase, we can expect Mii costume based on Dragon Quest (Most like some of the other heroes the appear in the final smash), and maybe the return of older Mii costumes as with Tails and Knuckles. Maybe new surprise character costumes altogether. Asides from the stage builder, it also showed the video editor, and the ability to share them via the phone app.

That video was 15 minutes long, making this seven minutes longer. This means they've got a lot of new content to unveil, or the Hero's showcase section will be even grander than Joker's. And that's a very high pedestal to top.

Probably the old Square Spirits (Chocobo and Geno), some 4 Dragon Quest ones (I'm guessing Slime hat, DQ 1 Hero, DQ V Hero and maybe Jade from DQ XI or a Munchie hat), Home Run Contest and my out-of-leftfield guess is Music DLC packs 

• Thumbs Up 1

I decided to go back and play some Smash 4 now that can try it with the Gamecube adaptor. I gotta say, Sonic at least, feels way better here for some reason. Maybe it's my imagination but it kind of feels like he hits a bit harder. His final smash is definitely the better of the two, of course. I didn't even need to go back and check to be sure of that. 

You know, I'm style little annoyed by calling him "Hero". That's too vague of the word, describing half of Smash's roster.

If Erdrick really couldn't be official face and treat the rest like Koopalings, they should go with "Dragon Warrior". Even if you don't know that first games were called that in USA, it's still gives you a idea of connection to Dragon Quest.

I mean, I'm pretty sure DreamWorks doesn't own that tittle.

• Thumbs Up 1

Why must you style on your annoyance?

Even if Erdrick was the default, they'd still be generalized as "The Hero"...

• Thumbs Up 1

Nintendo may have posted his release date by accident 

It's important to know that this may be a mistake in and of itself though

2 minutes ago, Tangled Jack said:

Wait, that's it? I kind of wanted new modes in the new update...

They're not going to mention that in that post.  I imagine that Sakurai will show that stuff off tomorrow

We don't have an exact time, so it could be tomorrow in North America depending on the timing

• Thumbs Up 2

Here are my guesses for the 4 Fighter Spirits:

Spoiler

1. Luminary: Toriyama Artwork

R13U50L

2. Erdrick: Official Famicom Artwork

7wECYRQ

3. Solo: Official Famicom Artwork

XVP6l2N

4. Eight/Guv: Toriyama Artwork

gqwXyim.png

I chose the Famicom artwork for Erdrick and Solo because the series is more popular in Japan so I'd expect them to use those

• Thumbs Up 2

14 hours ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

You know, I'm style little annoyed by calling him "Hero". That's too vague of the word, describing half of Smash's roster.

If Erdrick really couldn't be official face and treat the rest like Koopalings, they should go with "Dragon Warrior". Even if you don't know that first games were called that in USA, it's still gives you a idea of connection to Dragon Quest.

I disagree. That's just what the protagonists in Dragon Quest are referred to as, both in the games and in the fan discussion surrounding them. It's kind of an important word in the series, and even the characters who were given dubiously canon names are usually colloquially referenced as the "hero from X game" (something not made obvious by Smash discussion), which can't be said about "Dragon Warrior." Generic though it may be, "Hero" is the name actual DQ fans are going to recognize and connect with, and if the character isn't being made for them, then who is he for?

• Thumbs Up 6

4 hours ago, Solly said:

(something not made obvious by Smash discussion),

Considering all the "Yuusha" talk, you sure about that Solly?

• Thumbs Up 1

15 minutes ago, Jovahexeon Ogilvie Maurice said:

...On one hand, you're completely right and this was a topic the community discussed to death, so I'm gonna have to concede there.

But I swear there are pockets of the internet where the Hero is still being referred to as "Erdrick." 

• Thumbs Up 2

I think "Dragon Quest Hero" would have been a suitable name for him, like "Duck Hunt Duo" in Europe.

• Thumbs Up 2

5 hours ago, Jovahexeon Ogilvie Maurice said:

That still just means "Hero" though.

So we all expected today....but when....ah dammit I stayed up all night to not miss this and now the waiting game goes on aaaaaah.

• My Emmerdoods 1

So they stealth revealed Kirby's Hero "hat"

ImageEAumw3zWwAE9M5l?format=jpg&name=240x240

It's based off a special outfit the Luminary has in DQ XI

The video, just in case anyone wants to see it again.

Also, Spectator Mode is nice to have again.

• Thumbs Up 2

Wouldn't that metal move essentially be useless?

You'd probably never use it over shield because you'd have to shuffle through menus and seems to be good only on reaction...which is probably impossible given the aforementioned menu system. 

And if you don't use it on react why wouldn't your opponent just wait for you to turn back for a free punish?

It's got it's uses. Think of it as protection from biggger, laggier attacks and stage hazards, like the Mom on Gamer or the lava wave on Norfair. 

• Thumbs Up 3

DQ Hero is cool but I'm glad Banjo is there as a more standard fighter since technical or gimmick characters are harder for me to wrap my head around and enjoy properly. They're always a neat addition to the game and fun to try out for a while, but it's why I couldn't latch onto the majority of new characters in Wii U with the exception of Bowser Jr., who doesn't have any special gimmicks compared to most of the new guys.

With that said DQ Hero looks wildly creative and it's pretty fascinating how his moveset works. I thought the same thing back when Ryu was shown off in Wii U and how a lot of his moves use traditional fighting game inputs, so this is just the sort of thing I look forward to seeing in Smash, even if it's not for a character I personally care about.

• Thumbs Up 2

33 minutes ago, Wraith said:

It's got it's uses. Think of it as protection from biggger, laggier attacks and stage hazards, like the Mom on Gamer or the lava wave on Norfair. 

Fair enough. I was thinking more just in comp style matches 

• Thumbs Up 1

37 minutes ago, Soniman said:

Fair enough. I was thinking more just in comp style matches 

Just stay metal forever until they give up and SD

I wish we had a time frame for when today he'll be available, I really wanna try him out!

So this video is very interesting... (Possible MAJOR Spoilers)

Spoiler

While I was first a little skeptical, the fact that it predicted the EXACT ALTs used for the Hero ALONGSIDE Banjo-Kazooie all the way back in December makes me think this thing has a little bit of credibility for me.

All I'm saying is, if we get Doomguy, I will be maining him for 'MURICA.