Awoo.

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate - DADDY SAKURAI'S WILD RIDE HAS CONCLUDED

Sonictrainer

The only differences of note to Sonic so far is that his dash attack is just the slide kick (or just kick) instead of rolling into a slide kick and that his homing attack now has a reticile now letting you know if you're locked on like in the modern game.

Oh...and it actually looks like the homing attack is slower if you aren't locked onto someone.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, Teoskaven said:

Nintendo tries to pretend the cartoons never happened, the closest thing you got was Luigi getting an alt based on the OVA.
If Simon Belmont gets in, any chance for a reference to Captain N will be left to the localization team only.

You're forgetting that DK has an alt based on Eddie the Mean Ol' Yeti and Zero Suit Samus got one from Captain N as well (the green version, exisiting before Sm4sh and Other M)

3 minutes ago, Tailikku said:

You're forgetting that DK has an alt based on Eddie the Mean Ol' Yeti and Zero Suit Samus got one from Captain N as well (the green version, exisiting before Sm4sh and Other M)

This is also a thing now:

That's not in any existing game, but given its a banana, its probably going to be counted as a DK item. Some people have pointed out this, though:

Its possible this new item was based on a scene from the Donkey Kong Country cartoon. Granted, the banana was just fired into DK's mouth in the cartoon rather than exploded, but the overall thing looks quite similar, even the color of the banana that gets fired...

Funnily enough, the item appears to be a reskinned Steel Diver from the previous game.

• Thumbs Up 4

11 minutes ago, Tailikku said:

You're forgetting that DK has an alt based on Eddie the Mean Ol' Yeti

Ehhh, I think that just might be a coincidence. DK has had several white-hair alts over the years, none of which seem to be referencing Eddie:

tumblr_inline_p7wb4pI3PX1t1fa49_540.jpg

If anything, his white alt in Smash isn't really a nod but more of a testament to how lazy Eddie's design was. (Still love the guy, tho)

But the Switch port of Tropical Freeze indicates Nintendo isn't completely opposed to acknowledging that show:

d3e.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

I always figured DK's punch in Smash was a reference to the cartoon as well.

In regards to white haired DK there's also Super Kong from Returns

• Thumbs Up 1

Some Green Hill Zone footage.

You can barely hear it, but I'm pretty sure the music playing is the Angel Island Zone remix, which I'm very glad is in the game again.

Also, Knuckles still runs through the loop in the background, despite being an Assist Trophy now. That red dude can just be everywhere at once apparently.

knuckles_greenhillzone.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

If the Mii costumes return, then we can have Mii Knuckles summoning Knuckles 1 while Knuckles 2 runs through the loop, providing triple Knuckles action.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Chuckle 1

That reminds me, I feel like there's still some hope for Waluigi. After all, Waluigi is Waluigi. It doesn't matter if he's an Assist Trophy because he doesn't need to make sense, there can be two of him at once and nobody will question it.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Promotion 1
  • Chuckle 3
  • Fist Bump 1
  • Too Many Rings 1

I mean, ZS Samus can equip her Power Suit suit in her Final Smash even if the exact same-colored suit is already running around fighter her.

Heck, let's just bring back Pyrosphere for some double Ridley action while we're at it. At least that Ridley looks different from the playable one.

Bring back Board the Platforms.

I loved it on the N64 when the announcer would shout, "BOARD-DA-PLATFORMS!" at me and my brother. We'd mimic it and make fun of it all the time. It sounded so funny and weird  the way he said it.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Harkofthewaa said:

If the Mii costumes return, then we can have Mii Knuckles summoning Knuckles 1 while Knuckles 2 runs through the loop, providing triple Knuckles action.

I hope costumes aren't just limited to Miis this time, I want custom outfits and accessories for the actual fighters ( the characters I actually care about.) I hated how customization only applied to Miis in the last 2 games. Imagine how much fun it would be to dress the other characters up in those outfits.

It would also be neat to be able to make custom color pallets for the fighters as well. For instance, what if you wanted to play as an Inkling with black ink, or maybe you don't like the colors the developers chose for certain alternate costumes, and wish they chose a better pallet? Wouldn't it be nice to have the option to choose what colors you want specifically for the characters and accessories? It could be done in a similar fashion to how color changing works in games like Soul Calibur V's Create A Soul Mode. Please let it happen, Nintendo! 

1 hour ago, Harkofthewaa said:

triple Knuckles action.

Spoiler

1002128579_knucklesandknucklesknuckles.jpg.f835cb43c9fc8e700a209231935528e0.jpg

Let's make it happen, boys.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Chuckle 5
  • Fist Bump 1

7 hours ago, Forte-Metallix said:

Here's our Blue Boy in action:

Aside from the awkward freeze-frame in the thumbnail, he's looking pretty good! Reportedly Smash Ultimate is all-around faster than 4, and Sonic looks like he hits a bit harder than before! And his Super Peel-Out figure-8 is now his default running animation! (In the few milliseconds you can see him running) And it appears his Homing Attack now has a reticle!

They tweaked Sonic's victory animation I think

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm really happy about the stage hazard toggle. Now I can actually enjoy Wily's Castle!

• Thumbs Up 2

6 hours ago, SpongicX said:

I hope costumes aren't just limited to Miis this time, I want custom outfits and accessories for the actual fighters ( the characters I actually care about.) I hated how customization only applied to Miis in the last 2 games. Imagine how much fun it would be to dress the other characters up in those outfits.

Smash 4 had over 40 outfits.  Do you even have the vaguest idea what an utterly colossal amount of time it would take to model and rig that many outfits for over 66 characters with wildly different body shapes and animations?  While bits and pieces of modelling/texturing/coding/animation could be shared between them across the board, my maths makes that 2700+ unique costumes they'd have to create - and that's just with Smash 4's costumes for the currently unveiled Smash U roster.  Like... sorry but keep dreaming on that one, a super unrealistic amount of work to expect for a feature only a minority of players would use.

Hats and minor accessories wouldn't be so bad since they could have generic attach points for each character, but actual clothing would be nuts.

• Thumbs Up 5

Well that being said a custom pallette option would be pretty ace, if for no other reason than some characters simply not having purple reskins and that bothers the hell out of me.

7 hours ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

Bring back Board the Platforms.

I loved it on the N64 when the announcer would shout, "BOARD-DA-PLATFORMS!" at me and my brother. We'd mimic it and make fun of it all the time. It sounded so funny and weird  the way he said it.

Thinking on this now, I imagine the only reason Sakurai stopped including things like this is because it became a Kirby-esque situation where they had to make concessions for every character involved, in a series that is full of this ever thickening web of concessions between every single character. Targets and Platforms probably seemed simple when they only had twelve characters, but now we're sitting on sixty five and that's not even counting the Echoes. (How the fuck do you make a different stage for Marth and Lucina anyway?)

At the same time I don't wanna see either of them disappear completely because on a conceptual level, they teach the player movement and attack quirks that you don't always catch through standard gameplay, like the arc of Link's boomerang through walls or just how far you can milk Jiggly's floatiness until you finally drop, and we've never seen that for characters Brawl and since that really could have used something like that, like trick shots with Pit's bow or boosting your own cans or fire hydrants as DHD or Pac Man. So you know what? Fuck it, just merge them together into a single stage and call it an obstacle course or something. Means it takes less time to put together and you get all the movement/attack options rolled up into one lesson, which works for me.

• Thumbs Up 4

22_1_1.jpg22_2_2.jpg

New assist trophy on the block announced on the official site , we've got an Alolan Vulpix that freezes fighters, deep cold~

• Thumbs Up 6
  • Way Past Cool 1

8 hours ago, Marcello said:

I'm really happy about the stage hazard toggle. Now I can actually enjoy Wily's Castle!

Not quite...seeing it during the invitational or somewhere after that, it looks like hazardless Wily's Castle is just the Omega version from Smash 4. The platforms are also viewed as hazards (Probably because they aren't always there).

• Thumbs Up 1

19 minutes ago, StaticMania said:

Not quite...seeing it during the invitational or somewhere after that, it looks like hazardless Wily's Castle is just the Omega version from Smash 4. The platforms are also viewed as hazards (Probably because they aren't always there).

Oh. Well, that sucks 😕

Gamexplain shows off the Assist trophies we've seen so far. We get to see what Knuckles can do at 4:38.

He uses Major Eruption from Sonic Battle along with the standard homing attack (he can do it in Heroes and STH).

LGnUKcy.gif

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Way Past Cool 1

7 hours ago, Jovahexeon Pirate Ridley said:

22_1_1.jpg22_2_2.jpg

New assist trophy on the block announced on the official site , we've got an Alolan Vulpix that freezes fighters, deep cold~

All my yes!! I am happy they have added the ever so adorable Alolan Vulpix into the mix as a assist trophy~

For anyone interested, figured out a reverse stage list for Ultimate - i.e. these are the (surprisingly few) stages that HAVEN'T been confirmed yet:

N64

•  Congo Jungle
  •  Mushroom Kingdom
  •  Peach's Castle
  •  Planet Zebes
  •  Sector Z

GCN

•  Brinstar Depths
  •  Flat Zone
  •  Fountain of Dreams
  •  Icicle Mountain
  •  Mushroom Kingdom
  •  Mute City
  •  Poké Floats
  •  Rainbow Cruise
  •  Yoshi's Island

Wii

•  Delfino Plaza
  •  Flat Zone 2
  •  Hanenbow
  •  Mario Bros.
  •  Pictochat*
  •  Pirate Ship
  •  Rumble Falls

3DS

•  Dream Land
  •  Golden Plains
  •  Mute City
  •  Pac-Maze
  •  Paper Mario
  •  Pictochat 2*
  •  Rainbow Road

Wii U

•  Big Battlefield
  •  Gamer
  •  Jungle Hijinxs
  •  Mario Circuit
  •  Miiverse
  •  Orbital Gate Assault
  •  Pyrosphere
  •  Windy Hill Zone
  •  Woolly World

* A Pictochat stage is confirmed, but unknown if it is 1, 2 or a new Flat Zone X-esque combination.

My personal hopes are for N64 Mushroom Kingdom, N64 Peach's Castle, Fountain of Dreams, GCN Mute City, Rainbow Cruise, GCN Yoshi's Island, Delfino Plaza, Pirate Ship, Rumble Falls, 3DS Dream Land, Rainbow Road, Pac-Maze, Wii U Mario Circuit and Windy Hill Zone.

N64 Mushroom Kingdom would be a nice fanservice what with it being the first - and for said game ONLY - unlockable stage in the series.  Pac-Maze feels too iconic a locale to skip over in favour of the more obscure Pac-Land.  And if Sonic doesn't get a new stage... I at least want him to not just be represented by Green Hill Zone YET AGAIN.  The rest are all just ones I personally enjoy playing on.

18 minutes ago, ShadowSJG said:

Why don't they ever give Sonic his boost as as a move?

Hard to imagine how this would work in the relatively small space most Smash arenas encompass - it could work similarly to Fox's Side+B but... the boost in Sonic games doesn't ever suddenly stop like that.

Either way, Sonic's moveset was created before Sonic Unleashed confirmed the boost as a mainline Sonic "thing" (at the time it was an invention unique to Sonic Rush), and Sonic just seems to be one of those characters they've not messed with the moveset of (probably partially because everything would need to be approved by SEGA every step of the way, which in-house fighters don't have the issue of).

• Thumbs Up 6

21 minutes ago, ShadowSJG said:

Why don't they ever give Sonic his boost as as a move?

Because even if it did scratch damage, it would be hideously overpowered. Take the fastest character in the game and give him the ability to damage fighters as he runs. That would give Sonic a stupidly powerful ground game. Also, using it in the air would give him horizontal recovery he really doesn't need. Do you really wanna go into For Glory and literally get run down by Sonic's along with Little Mac?

• Thumbs Up 2