Awoo.

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate - DADDY SAKURAI'S WILD RIDE HAS CONCLUDED

Sonictrainer

Y’know, looking back, throwing people into the lava was the only fun I remember having with Great Cave Offensive. Why couldn’t it just be a smaller but still big stage with random layouts?

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, Perkilator said:

Y’know, looking back, throwing people into the lava was the only fun I remember having with Great Cave Offensive. Why couldn’t it just be a smaller but still big stage with random layouts?

Better still, you should be able to add its danger zones to custom stages in stage builder. Neither Smash 4 or Ultimate allowed that, and it feels like such a missed opportunity. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Being, honest, I am kinda bummed that the base game of Ultimate only has four new stages, so let’s replace ten old ones we don’t Ike with new ones! My ten for ten are:

THROW THE BUM OUT:

1.  (Electroplankton): I think we can all agree that this stage sucks as a stage (really, water you can’t swim in?), but am I the only one who thinks it was pretty? Plus, it’s at least worth it for the green screen.

2. PAC-LAND: Like Hanenbow, it just sucks as a stage. Not to mention, like everyone else said, it poorly represents one of the most iconic video game characters ever. Why they dumped PAC-MAZE for a stage from glorified pre-MS Paint arcade game I will never know.

3.  (Mother 3): It’s just a poor man’s Temple. Need I say more?

4.  (Donkey Kong): If I wanted to play a stage where I’m basically just playing Donkey Kong, I’d just make it a smaller part of a bigger DK-themed level in a Melee-styled Adventure mode.

5. Great Cave Offensive (Kirby Super Star): Just a pointlessly large stage with artificial blast zones that Sakurai called “fun”. More like Great Space Offensive, am I right?

6. Windy Hill Zone (Sonic Lost World): I tried the demo for Lost World around the time it came out and couldn’t stand having to press a run button to make Sonic do what he always does, so I’m not really a fan of a stage that brings back those memories.

7. Coliseum (Fire Emblem): It’s just a poor man’s Arena Ferox, what more can I say?

8. New Donk City Hall (Super Mario Odyssey): After playing through that part of Odyssey, I’m actually kinda bummed that this wasn’t the NDC stage we got in Ultimate. All the current one has going for it is the musicians and Pauline, and that’s only just one song. A great one but still, one. And it doesn’t help that it’s one of the four new stages in Ultimate’s base game.

9. Midgar (FINAL FANTASY VII): It’s basically just Battlefield with Summons. That’s a pretty big stain on FF’s already meager Smash representation compared to even Dragon Quest.

10. Mario Bros.: I’m sorry but this stage is just unplayable. Going from one side of the screen to the other is a nice touch, but it makes it needlessly hard to tell what’s a blast zone and what’s not. Combine that with small breathing room to avoid enemies and—yeah, I don’t need to say anymore

What I’d add because the base game literally only has four new stages out of over a hundred:

1. Spill-Ville (Tomato Adventure): This could be a travelling stage with Gimmicks tossed in for good measure. I know, not very original, but I just want some major Tomato Adventure representation. It’s my most wanted JP-only game to be localized.

2. Champion’s Maze (PAC-MAN Championship Edition): A more sparkly version of PAC-MAZE with the ability to eat several ghosts in a row at once.

3. Saturn Valley (EarthBound): Seeing as Magicant was a stage, it baffles me that Saturn Valley wasn’t one in at least the Wii U game. Maybe something akin to its appearance in Smash Flash 2?

4. New Donk Festival (Super Mario Odyssey): Now this is the New Donk Stage I crave. This has potential for a series of completely new DK layouts and even a layout of 25m!

5. Alola Poké Floats (Pokémon Sun and Moon): Not much more I can say, it’s Poké Floats over Alola with the occasional Guardians and Ultra Beasts.

6. Metropolis (Sonic Forces): A traveling stage with the airships able be used as platforms and a hazard every now and then to keep things interesting (at least more interesting than it was in Forces).

7. Oprah House (Fire Emblem Fates): One of the most memorable locations in the whole series as far as I’m concerned, and I’m shocked it wasn’t a stage. Here’s a mock-up of what it could like and play like on post #1,577 by a SmashBoards user name TKOWL, who participated in the Smash Bros. Stage Creation contest way back when.

8. Gyromite: Basically a game of Gyromite, but the background is a living room with a fully-functional R.O.B. toy in said background.

9. Ripple Star (Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards): This is a stage I’d want if Adeleine and Ribbon were ever playable playable fighters. The stage takes place in front of the castle itself, near the fountain, with the occasional appearance by Dark Matter. Once again inspired by a mock-up by SmashBoards’ TKOWL.

10. Dr. Mario: This stage was originally going to be in Smash 4, and it’s a real shame it was never fully realized because my vision of it is the pills being platforms, the Viruses being Danger Zones (hopefully done right), and both kinds disappearing when same-colored pills line up with Viruses of their color.

So as most people know, I love Xenoblade and I would have loved to see another character get in. My usual picks have been Elma (XCX), Rex and Pyra (XC2), and Mythra solo (XC2 - Torna). I was recently toying with the idea of, if Xenoblade had gotten a rep I could have seen XC2's antagonist, Malos, fitting the bill as a Shulk clone--though more in the sense that Wolf is a Fox clone rather than a straight up echo. I also just like the idea of seeing more villains. I'm also bored and wanted to share a rough idea I had. I'm not counting on this or really pulling for it at this point, but I wanted to get away from DLC speculation for a bit. This veers really heavily into spoiler territory for XC2:

Spoiler

I took some inspiration from this video in particular. While there are some things I'd alter about the way Rex was conceptualized here, I generally liked the idea of giving him a Blade Switch and giving him a variety of weapons as opposed to just the Aegis sword. The primary thing I would change is instead of Rex's arts being his specials, the specials would correspond to the respective Blade and allow them to come from the background to attack, making it more similar to the battle system of XC2. This is may be a bit slow for a game like Smash Bros. though but I think anything is possible.

As for Malos, I thought about him initially as an echo for Shulk, the most obvious reason being that they share a weapon: the Monado. Malos is very different, however, so making him an echo seems like a waste. I think many of his melee attacks would be similar to Shulk's but have greater power, perhaps even a longer cooldown. A punch to the face, a knee to the gut, and a slash of his sword. Whereas Shulk gets added range from the Monado's beam though, Malos is more close combat focused, and that slash leaves a dark flame effect. This would carry over into his Smash attacks, his side and up Smashes being very powerful slashes (side would be similar to his and Shulk's Buster attacks in their home games). His down Smash, though, would have a similar AOE effect Shulk's has, but instead of swinging the sword in a circle, he slams his fist into the ground and creates a blast of dark energy. I think most of air attacks would function similarly to Shulk, but again without the beam so they'd have decreased range with a trade off in additional power, though in particular I think his down air would have him drop with the sword coming down not unlike Shulk's Backslash animation.

His specials are where I wanted to move him away from just being the "Roy" version of Shulk, though. Shulk's neutral special grants him a variety of buffs that can help him in battle. Greater jumping, speed, attack, defense, or launching. This works for Shulk since his primary use for the Monado in XC1 is granting party buffs. He has a few attacking options mixed into it (Buster, Eater, and Cyclone come to mind), but his main arts (Back Slash, Air Slash, Stream Edge, et al) are the ones you use most of the time anyway. Malos shares three of Shulk's Monado arts: Buster, Eater and Cyclone. Cyclone would simply replace Air Slash on Shulk (Up special), which gives him a bit of an AOE in his recovery, kind of like Incineroar's neutral special. It doesn't have a two-button press like Air Slash has. His side special would be his Striker Edge art, which deals a good amount of knockback. Unlike Shulk's Backslash, there's no positioning bonus.

For the neutral special I'd swap out a few of the arts--I'd drop Jump and Speed for Eater and Jail, allowing Malos to cause worse damage and debuffs. In XC1, Monado Eater causes Bleed damage (Damage over time effect) and also "eats" enemy buffs. In XC2, Malos "eats" Blade affinity, cutting your connection with your Blade and therefore making you weaker as a team. In Smash, it could be used as a means of healing Malos when selected and any move he does that makes contact afterward heals a small percentage of damage. In XC2 he uses Monado Jail to Shackle your Blade, preventing them from attacking. Here I could see him using it as a means to slow down anyone near him. Monado Armor would have a similar effect and drawback Shulk's Shield has, granting increased defenses but at the cost of attacking power and movement speed.

Now, I'm struggling a little bit with how to approach his remaining two Monado arts; I conceptualize Malos as a stronger version of Shulk, so giving him Buster and Smash seems too unbalanced. We could say he has two less options in exchange for the power and debuffs he gets, but that's boring. I looked up Zanza from XC1 and saw one of his debuffs is called "Fear," which lowers the target's attacking power. This would fit quite well with Malos and his intimidating personality, and would better fit with the general "anti-Shulk" theme I wanted for him in the first place, lowering the opponents' attacking power when he comes into contact with them, "marked" targets will have a black flame aura around them temporarily. I'm also thinking of a final art that can lower his attack but grants him range with the dark flames that come from his Monado, with the flames dealing a DoT similar to one of Joker's moves--there's probably something more appropriate though.

Finally his down special. Malos lacks the ability to see into the future the way Shulk and his sister, Mythra, do. That doesn't mean he can't counterattack, though. It's familiar enough with many swordfighters in Smash, and it feels like it would fit well with him. It can even deal out those black flames similar to Incineroar's Revenge, but without the additional buff. Alternatively I thought about using his Blade partner, Sever, in some form. While I initially thought about giving him a Blade switch, this would also completely change Malos's arts and moves, and that didn't feel like a sensible use for him. I'd also consider just making him a background assist, inspired by the video I linked earlier, where he actually can buff Malos but again, that would create a balancing issue. It seems the best use might be a quick summon, with the caveat being that it leaves Malos open if Sever misses his mark. Ultimately I'd go for the simplest option and just use a regular counter move, swapping out Shulk's ability to slowdown the opponent for a guard followed by a quick slash and hitting with black flames.

His Final Smash would likely be him calling down his own Siren (as seen in Torna) and unleashing a giant blast like he did to Auresco during his battle with Mythra.

Alt colors? White/gold to match his driver, Amalthus; Blue for Ahkos; Black/green for Sever; Red/black for Mikahil; White/black for Patroka; Purple/silver for Jin; Purple/black swap of his main colors; White/green with lighter hair like Mythra, which plays on her own "Carbon" outfit she gets.

This is probably the most thought I've put toward something I'd like to see in Smash. I don't really know what's possible at this point, but it was a fun exercise trying to outline what I think could be done with Malos. There's probably a lot of things that could be done to make him stand out more.

• Thumbs Up 2

Okay, so here’s a moveset plus some background info I made for Byleth (spoil tagged due to length):

Spoiler

Who?

Byleth Eisner is the central protagonist of Fire Emblem: Three Houses and the Avatar archetype. Prior to the events of the game, they are born without any kind of heartbeat, at the cost of his mother’s life. His father, Jeralt (a former captain of the Knights of Seiros), runs away with the beat-less baby by faking their death in a fire. He then trains them over the course of roughly 21 years to become a mercenary, earning them the title “Ashen Demon”. One day, Byleth has a dream about a sleepy girl with green hair. Before they can get clearer with her, they wake up and describe the vague dream to Jeralt.

Before long, however, they’re both interrupted when bandits come and attack the village they’re at, giving pursuit to three youths named Edelgard, Dimitri, and Claude. After clearing out the bandits, Byleth and co. head to Garreg Mach Monastery, a place Jeralt hasn’t been for over two decades. The archbishop, Rhea, thanks Byleth by offering them the title of Professor at the Officer’s Academy, which is short a professor. From there, Byleth can choose to teach a house of students between the Adrestian Empire’s Black Eagles, the Holy Kingdom of Faerghus’s Blue Lions, and the Leicester Alliance’s Golden Deer.

Importance to Nintendo: Despite being fairly recent, Three Houses is one of the most successful games in the series; so successful, in fact, there was even a limited-time tournament in Tetris 99 with a Three Houses theme. As well, characters from Three Houses eventually appeared in the mobile game Fire Emblem Heroes. And despite this success, there's currently no Three Houses content in Smash Ultimate this far. This isn't a sure sign, but it's still rather suspicious.

Intro: Byleth emerges from a Warp circle and hoists the Sword of the Creator on their shoulders.

Stance/Idle 1: Their idle animation from Three Houses.

Idle 2: Their victory animation from Three Houses, but slightly longer.

Idle 3: Their animation from Three Houses when he is selected for combat.

Crawl: No

Wall Jump: No

Jumps: 2

Exclusive Abilities: Yes

Weight Class: B

Height Class: B+

Speed Class: B

Mirrored: No

Notable Palette Swaps

1: Default Male

2: Default Female

3: Dimitri (Male)

4: Edelgard (Female

5: Claude (Male)

6: Enlightened One Outfit (Female)

7: Enlightened One Outfit (Male)

8: Jeralt (Female)

Walk: Their free-roam jogging animation from Three Houses.

Dash: Their free-roam sprinting animation from Three Houses.

Damage: Their animation for taking damage from Three Houses.

Jump: Byleth jumps as normal.

Double Jump: Byleth spins around facing diagonally right.

Crouch: Byleth crouches while holding the Sword of the Creator upright with its tip in the ground.

Weapon of Choice: The Sword of the Creator, a mythical sword of Fódlan legends (although Byleth also comes equipped with an Iron Gauntlet for melee attacks).

Basic Attacks

Jab: Byleth swings the Sword once, then attacks with his Iron Gauntlet in hand, and then turns around to swing his arm with it (5% each hit, and 9% third hit, small knockback)

Forward+A: Byleth slams the Sword down on the ground (11%, small knockback)

Down+A: Byleth kicks the ground with their right foot (7%, small knockback)

Up+A: Byleth summons a small ball of fire above them (8%, small knockback)

Dash+A: Byleth punches with the Iron Gauntlet, and then attacks again with the Sword when A is pressed again (4% first hit, 12% next hit, OK knockback)

Air+A: Byleth swings their Sword in a 360o angle (12%, OK knockback)

Air Forward+A: Byleth pushes their right hand out and casts Thunder (11%, OK knockback)

Air Back + A: Byleth swings their Sword in an arc behind themselves (14%, OK knockback)

Air Up+A: Byleth points their Sword above them (11%, OK knockback)

Air Down+A: Byleth kicks with their right foot down below them, which has a meteor effect (14%, far knockback)

Dash Attack: Byleth charges with their Sword and rams opponents with the bottom of the handle (11%, OK knockback)

Smash Moves

Forward+A: Byleth pulses out an Aura with their right palm (22%, medium knockback)

Up+A: Byleth spins their Sword around above them (20%, medium knockback)

Down+A: Byleth swings their Sword in a 360o spin below them (19%, medium knockback)

Grabs

Grab: Byleth grans the opponent with Nosferatu.

Pummel: Byleth slowly raises the opponent's damage and heals his own, little by little (7%)

Forwards+Throw: Byleth casts a weaker version of Thoron (18%, medium knockback)

Down+Throw: Byleth jumps up and strikes down to the opponent's chest with their elbow (11%, OK knockback)

Back+Throw: Byleth quickly warps behind the opponent and punches them back with their Iron gauntlet (14%, OK knockback)

Up+Throw: Byleth casts a weaker version of Bolganone (19%, medium knockback)

Special Moves

B : Divine Pulse; Byleth glows a purple aura. When hit, time rewinds by 2 seconds so you can counter attack or move away. However, this uses up ⅓ of the Sword of the Creator's energy.

B + Forwards : Wrath Strike; Byleth prepares a powerful blow with his radiating sword for a second, and slams down with a devastating attack that uses up half of the Creator Sword's energy (27%, far knockback)

B + Up : Ruptured Heaven; Byleth swings the Creator Sword around them four times, with the last swing pushing them diagonally opposite to where the tip faces. Once again, this uses up ⅓ of the Creator Sword's energy (13% first three hits, 21% last hit, medium knockback)

B + Down : Gambit Battalion; Starting off with around 40 Battalion Endurance, Byleth may choose between one of three battalion formations: Disturbance, Fusillade, and Group Magic.

Disturbance (4 EP): A group of soldiers charges forward and rams into the opponent, briefly stunning them afterwards (19%, medium knockback)

Fusillade (7 EP): A rain of arrows diagonally downwards in whatever direction Byleth is facing. It has a moderate chance of a meteor effect (16%, medium knockback)

Group Magic (8 EP): Byleth commands their mages to perform a cycled magic attack. In this order, the spells are:

>Group Fire: A fiery tornado (22%, medium knockback)

>Group Fimbulvetr: A row of icy stalagmites that freezes opponents (21%, medium knockback)

>Group Thunder: A row of five thunderbolts that has a slight chance of a meteor effect (23%, medium knockback)

>Group Aura: A pillar of light that last for 3 seconds (32%, far knockback)

Final Smash: Sublime Heaven. "Here is something to believe in!" Byleth borrows power from an image of a certain progenitor goddess, and swings their Sword five times with each swing being devastatingly powerful (55%, far knockback)

Gimmicks

>The Crest of Flames: Heals 30% of damage taken on occasion, which is indicated when it glows on-screen. It also restores the Creator Sword's energy by about ¼.

>The Sword of the Creator’s energy bar, which is thin yet visible and stretches across the length of the Battalion Endurance gauge. Your specials use up energy, along with consecutive normal attacks that drain energy bit by bit. When it runs out, you’ll have to switch to an Iron Sword. Attacks that use the Sword of the Creator are weakened by ¼, Divine Pulse is completely disabled until your energy recharges, and the distance from the final swing with Ruptured Heaven is slightly reduced.

Taunts:

1: "What's my strategy?" Byleth puts their right hand on their chin in a thinking pose.

2: "Stay focused." Byleth raises their sword out to the opponent.

1+2: "Let the lesson begin!" Byleth points their sword to their right diagonally upwards.

Winposes:

1: "You didn't give it your all." Byleth rests their Sword on the ground and kneels with their left knee sticking up.

2: "Each battle, a chance to grow." Their victory animation from Three Houses.

3: "Another step forward." Byleth let's go of a few flower petals as they look to the horizon.

Icon: The Crest of Flames

Boxing Ring Title: The Proven Ashen Demon

Victory Music: 2:06 of Blue Skies and a Battle

Kirby Hat: Byleth's hair, which is different between Malr and Female.

Okay, so here’s a moveset plus some background info I made for Byleth:

Who?

Byleth Eisner is the central protagonist of Fire Emblem: Three Houses and the Avatar archetype. Prior to the events of the game, they are born without any kind of heartbeat, at the cost of his mother’s life. His father, Jeralt (a former captain of the Knights of Seiros), runs away with the beat-less baby by faking their death in a fire. He then trains them over the course of roughly 21 years to become a mercenary, earning them the title “Ashen Demon”. One day, Byleth has a dream about a sleepy girl with green hair. Before they can get clearer with her, they wake up and describe the vague dream to Jeralt.

Before long, however, they’re both interrupted when bandits come and attack the village they’re at, giving pursuit to three youths named Edelgard, Dimitri, and Claude. After clearing out the bandits, Byleth and co. head to Garreg Mach Monastery, a place Jeralt hasn’t been for over two decades. The archbishop, Rhea, thanks Byleth by offering them the title of Professor at the Officer’s Academy, which is short a professor. From there, Byleth can choose to teach a house of students between the Adrestian Empire’s Black Eagles, the Holy Kingdom of Faerghus’s Blue Lions, and the Leicester Alliance’s Golden Deer.

Importance to Nintendo: Despite being fairly recent, Three Houses is one of the most successful games in the series; so successful, in fact, there was even a limited-time tournament in Tetris 99 with a Three Houses theme. As well, characters from Three Houses eventually appeared in the mobile game Fire Emblem Heroes. And despite this success, there's currently no Three Houses content in Smash Ultimate this far. This isn't a sure sign, but it's still rather suspicious.

Intro: Byleth emerges from a Warp circle and hoists the Sword of the Creator on their shoulders.

Stance/Idle 1: Their idle animation from Three Houses.

Idle 2: Their victory animation from Three Houses, but slightly longer.

Idle 3: Their animation from Three Houses when he is selected for combat.

Crawl: No

Wall Jump: No

Jumps: 2

Exclusive Abilities: Yes

Weight Class: B

Height Class: B+

Speed Class: B

Mirrored: No

Notable Palette Swaps

1: Default Male

2: Default Female

3: Dimitri (Male)

4: Edelgard (Female

5: Claude (Male)

6: Enlightened One Outfit (Female)

7: Enlightened One Outfit (Male)

8: Jeralt (Female)

Walk: Their free-roam jogging animation from Three Houses.

Dash: Their free-roam sprinting animation from Three Houses.

Damage: Their animation for taking damage from Three Houses.

Jump: Byleth jumps as normal.

Double Jump: Byleth spins around facing diagonally right.

Crouch: Byleth crouches while holding the Sword of the Creator upright with its tip in the ground.

Weapon of Choice: The Sword of the Creator, a mythical sword of Fódlan legends (although Byleth also comes equipped with an Iron Gauntlet for melee attacks).

Basic Attacks

Jab: Byleth swings the Sword once, then attacks with his Iron Gauntlet in hand, and then turns around to swing his arm with it (5% each hit, and 9% third hit, small knockback)

Forward+A: Byleth slams the Sword down on the ground (11%, small knockback)

Down+A: Byleth kicks the ground with their right foot (7%, small knockback)

Up+A: Byleth summons a small ball of fire above them (8%, small knockback)

Dash+A: Byleth punches with the Iron Gauntlet, and then attacks again with the Sword when A is pressed again (4% first hit, 12% next hit, OK knockback)

Air+A: Byleth swings their Sword in a 360o angle (12%, OK knockback)

Air Forward+A: Byleth pushes their right hand out and casts Thunder (11%, OK knockback)

Air Back + A: Byleth swings their Sword in an arc behind themselves (14%, OK knockback)

Air Up+A: Byleth points their Sword above them (11%, OK knockback)

Air Down+A: Byleth kicks with their right foot down below them, which has a meteor effect (14%, far knockback)

Dash Attack: Byleth charges with their Sword and rams opponents with the bottom of the handle (11%, OK knockback)

Smash Moves

Forward+A: Byleth pulses out an Aura with their right palm (22%, medium knockback)

Up+A: Byleth spins their Sword around above them (20%, medium knockback)

Down+A: Byleth swings their Sword in a 360o spin below them (19%, medium knockback)

Grabs

Grab: Byleth grans the opponent with Nosferatu.

Pummel: Byleth slowly raises the opponent's damage and heals his own, little by little (7%)

Forwards+Throw: Byleth casts a weaker version of Thoron (18%, medium knockback)

Down+Throw: Byleth jumps up and strikes down to the opponent's chest with their elbow (11%, OK knockback)

Back+Throw: Byleth quickly warps behind the opponent and punches them back with their Iron gauntlet (14%, OK knockback)

Up+Throw: Byleth casts a weaker version of Bolganone (19%, medium knockback)

Special Moves

B : Divine Pulse; Byleth glows a purple aura. When hit, time rewinds by 2 seconds so you can counter attack or move away. However, this uses up ⅓ of the Sword of the Creator's energy.

B + Forwards : Wrath Strike; Byleth prepares a powerful blow with his radiating sword for a second, and slams down with a devastating attack that uses up half of the Creator Sword's energy (27%, far knockback)

B + Up : Ruptured Heaven; Byleth swings the Creator Sword around them four times, with the last swing pushing them diagonally opposite to where the tip faces. Once again, this uses up ⅓ of the Creator Sword's energy (13% first three hits, 21% last hit, medium knockback)

B + Down : Gambit Battalion; Starting off with around 40 Battalion Endurance, Byleth may choose between one of three battalion formations: Disturbance, Fusillade, and Group Magic.

Disturbance (4 EP): A group of soldiers charges forward and rams into the opponent, briefly stunning them afterwards (19%, medium knockback)

Fusillade (7 EP): A rain of arrows diagonally downwards in whatever direction Byleth is facing. It has a moderate chance of a meteor effect (16%, medium knockback)

Group Magic (8 EP): Byleth commands their mages to perform a cycled magic attack. In this order, the spells are:

>Group Fire: A fiery tornado (22%, medium knockback)

>Group Fimbulvetr: A row of icy stalagmites that freezes opponents (21%, medium knockback)

>Group Thunder: A row of five thunderbolts that has a slight chance of a meteor effect (23%, medium knockback)

>Group Aura: A pillar of light that last for 3 seconds (32%, far knockback)

Final Smash: Ruptured Heaven. "Here is something to believe in!" Byleth borrows power from an image of a certain progenitor goddess, and swings their Sword five times with each swing being devastatingly powerful (55%, far knockback)

Gimmicks

>The Crest of Flames: Heals 30% of damage taken on occasion, which is indicated when it glows on-screen. It also restores the Creator Sword's energy by about ¼.

>The Sword of the Creator’s energy bar, which is thin yet visible and stretches across the length of the Battalion Endurance gauge. Your specials use up energy, along with consecutive normal attacks that drain energy bit by bit. When it runs out, you’ll have to switch to an Iron Sword. Attacks that use the Sword of the Creator are weakened by ¼, Divine Pulse is completely disabled until your energy recharges, and the distance from the final swing with Ruptured Heaven is slightly reduced.

Taunts:

1: "What's my strategy?" Byleth puts their right hand on their chin in a thinking pose.

2: "Stay focused." Byleth raises their sword out to the opponent.

1+2: "Let the lesson begin!" Byleth points their sword to their right diagonally upwards.

Winposes:

1: "You didn't give it your all." Byleth rests their Sword on the ground and kneels with their left knee sticking up.

2: "Each battle, a chance to grow." Their victory animation from Three Houses.

3: "Another step forward." Byleth let's go of a few flower petals as they look to the horizon.

Icon: The Crest of Flames

Boxing Ring Title: The Proven Ashen Demon

Victory Music: 2:06 of Blue Skies and a Battle

Kirby Hat: Byleth's hair, which is different between Male and Female.

On 9/25/2019 at 4:06 PM, Spookilator said:

10. Mario Bros.: I’m sorry but this stage is just unplayable.

Just to say, this is easy to miss since I'm pretty sure the only place that ever explained it was the Smash Dojo site for Brawl, but the gimmick for this stage, if one chooses to embrace it, is to knock over enemies and then throw them at your opponents.  Thrown enemies launch opponents in a straight-line sideways, allowing you to score KOs.

It's actually a REALLY great stage to do challenges involving defeating Lv. 9 CPU opponents because while they do seem to have some awareness of the stage gimmick, they prioritise trying to KO you with traditional moves.

It's a weird stage, but if you embrace the gimmick it's much more fun than some of the other gimmick stages that are just kinda dull (see, Electroplankton which certainly deserved to get mentioned first on your list).

• Thumbs Up 5

Yeah once you get it mario bros is fucking hilarious. Same with balloon fight when you learn to exploit the fish

• Thumbs Up 1

Now I know GSP and Elite Smash aren't precise indicators of skill level, BUT

U4341ob.jpg

I can't help but feel proud of myself that I've been able to get 9 characters into Elite Smash, hehe!

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Promotion 1

On 9/25/2019 at 11:06 AM, Spookilator said:

9. Midgar (FINAL FANTASY VII):

Like hell we're going to deprive Final Fantasy fans of even more content than they've already been deprived. That's asinine.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Chuckle 1

15 minutes ago, Jovahexeon Ogilvie Maurice said:

Like hell we're going to deprive Final Fantasy fans of even more content than they've already been deprived. That's asinine.

Don’t worry. If I could’ve fit it on the list, I would’ve replaced it with Insomnia from FFXV.

Just now, Spookilator said:

Don’t worry. If I could’ve fit it on the list, I would’ve replaced it with Insomnia from FFXV.

And deprive FFVII fans of content? No thanks.

• Fist Bump 1
  • Way Past Cool 1

12 hours ago, Spookilator said:

Wanna see an odd coincidence? Sometime before Piranha Plant was confirmed, there was a theory on Reddit on how Sakurai picks characters. Strangely, Piranha Plant is nowhere to be seen, even on the section that says "Characters we will never see in Smash".

Tbh that poster lost all credibility when they considered Mario & Luigi characters to be anything even vaguely close to a shoe-in. Hardcore Mario fans tend to place way too much importance on the RPG games, and kind of understandably so considering they offer the most in-depth look at the larger world of Mario - but Nintendo clearly consider everything unique within them to be not part of main Mario canon.

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Absolutely 1

On 10/8/2019 at 6:38 AM, JezMM said:

Nintendo clearly consider everything unique within them to be not part of main Mario canon.

Usually that's true, but not always!

Paper Mario's Goomba King (later renamed Goomboss) did appear in full 3D in Super Mario 64 DS, and later Mario Kart DS. The Star Spirits from the same game would also go on to appear in Mario Party 5, though in this example, it's going from one spinoff to another spinoff, which is kind of a lateral move.

I'm just saying, it's not totally outside the realm of possibility to see Mario RPG characters get referenced in mainline Mario platformers. It's happened before, albeit extremely rarely.

Though yeah, with all that said, I still wouldn't expect a Mario and Luigi character to even stand a chance of getting into Smash.

• Thumbs Up 4

55 minutes ago, Dr. Mechano said:

Usually that's true, but not always!

Paper Mario's Goomba King (later renamed Goomboss) did appear in full 3D in Super Mario 64 DS, and later Mario Kart DS. The Star Spirits from the same game would also go on to appear in Mario Party 5, though in this example, it's going from one spinoff to another spinoff, which is kind of a lateral move.

I'm just saying, it's not totally outside the realm of possibility to see Mario RPG characters get referenced in mainline Mario platformers. It's happened before, albeit extremely rarely.

Though yeah, with all that said, I still wouldn't expect a Mario and Luigi character to even stand a chance of getting into Smash.

A fair point, I will say though that those are definitely characters that had an edge by being variants on existing Mario concepts (Goombas, sentient stars etc).  The more fantastically original creations of the RPGs, Cackletta and Fawful being prime examples, definitely have a... something I can't quite put my finger on that makes them distinctly seperate to me (and I assume you get what I mean too by that last comment).

• Thumbs Up 3

Just now, JezMM said:

A fair point, I will say though that those are definitely characters that had an edge by being variants on existing Mario concepts (Goombas, sentient stars etc).  The more fantastically original creations of the RPGs, Cackletta and Fawful being prime examples, definitely have a... something I can't quite put my finger on that makes them distinctly seperate to me (and I assume you get what I mean too by that last comment).

Yeah, absolutely. I don't expect the Beanish people to appear anytime soon.

Frankly, Prince Peasley and Fawful even appearing as spirits in Ultimate was a pleasant surprise.

So you know a while back we were talking about Assist Trophies, and thinking about how certain ATs would work if the character already showed up in the background? I'm sure most of y'all noticed already, but I went to Training Mode to check something, and I found out you can't summon Knuckles on Green Hill Zone, and you also can't summon the Moon on Termina.

I just thought that was interesting.

40 minutes ago, Radiant Hero Ike said:

So you know a while back we were talking about Assist Trophies, and thinking about how certain ATs would work if the character already showed up in the background? I'm sure most of y'all noticed already, but I went to Training Mode to check something, and I found out you can't summon Knuckles on Green Hill Zone, and you also can't summon the Moon on Termina.

I just thought that was interesting.

Alucard can't appear it Wii Fit Studio because he has no reflection 

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Chuckle 3

been playing smash ultimate over the past few week, so i'm just throwing out a stream of thoughts here. still trying to get accustomed to it after years and tons of hours poured into smash 4. the biggest thing tripping me up right now is that i think performing low jumps is much stricter in ultimate; like the button/stick speed registering is much faster. i feel like i get a low jump 1/3rd of the time i try to do so.

other gameplay things: landing aerial hits feels harder to do, but they have a sort of tradeoff that they certainly feels "punchier" (stronger impact). KOs feel more randomized to me (easier to survive knocked off-screen, but i've been honestly really surprised by certain attacks at certain percentages that happened to have been strong enough to take stocks, if not outright be critical hits). CPUs feel they've been bumped up in difficulty greatly, a lvl 4 CPU in this game feels like what would be a lvl 6/7 CPU in smash 4. haven't played lvl 9 cpus (which i've heard are based on prof. smash bros players...).

character stuff: in terms of veterans/past characters, kirby and villager controls fit like a glove from their smash 4 incarnations, they're arguably my mains for the time being. inkling is the hardest new character for me to play with so far, as of now i can't really quite get a handle for using the neutral in regards to splashing characters with ink; i constantly miss. simon is pretty cool, i like his axe specials and i really like his crazy longboi range his whip has regarding smash attacks. king k rool is *chef's kiss*. need more practice with him but he is especially fun to play. the side-b and smash attacks are all glorious. my favorite new character i've played with so far.

[ don't have NSO so i can't say anything about the online yet, have only played CPUs ]

world of light stuff (putting this in spoilers): good god some of these spirit battles are beyond irritating to play. i can't remember them all, but my special ire for what i've completed right now goes to quite a few:

the ones i've played so far that have the wind blowing are just terrible. the ones i have in mind are the animal crossing character that unlocks a boat (you fight a koopaling on two cliffs surrounded by water and you can't swim) and the yarn yoshi spirit with a yoshi army with increased launch power.

meanwhile i'm not sure if those are better or worse with the spirits that have you fight the associated assist trophies. i'm looking at you jeff from earthbound and bomberman.

last but not least are the ones where these's a main fighter that has a really aggressive partner. specifically, the MGS spirit where there's a dr. mario that constantly runs away and is protected by a really aggresive giant metal rob. there's also a spirit that had an isabelle with a lucina partner which only slightly less offensive than that one was.

all of these can burn.

honorable mention goes to one that happens early in the campaign, a bayonetta one that constantly side-b spammed and you took a lot of damage from it. that got annoying quick but the others i mentioned made it look like a cakewalk in comparison.

Reminder to NOT be a dick and spam Sakurai.  Just because a YouTuber did it and is unapologetic doesn't make it cool, especially when Sakurai asked not to: 

• Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, tailsBOOM! said:

Reminder to NOT be a dick and spam Sakurai.  Just because a YouTuber did it and is unapologetic doesn't make it cool, especially when Sakurai asked not to: 

Don't think that really needs repeating on this site. 

Saw this last night but just now posting it:

Tetris Spirit Event! Looks like all the L-block in Smash jokes became kind of true in a sense