Awoo.

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate - DADDY SAKURAI'S WILD RIDE HAS CONCLUDED

Sonictrainer

Not a fan of Terry?

He's straightforward in both FF/KOF and here, I suppose. But I feel like he has enough moves and options that if you wanna use your brain instead of just jab jab pd you can have a lot of fun. Maybe I have a smooth brain but hitting the command inputs make me feel like I'm thinking.

Terry is the exception. I praised him earlier in the thread. The pass overall was just a little disappointing on the mechanical side for me. 

12 hours ago, Tracker_TD said:

It's now or never, everybody

Image result for puyo puyo 2 intro

Now or never

Sega would probably require Sonic Team's awful version though.

6 hours ago, Wraith said:

Terry is the exception. I praised him earlier in the thread. The pass overall was just a little disappointing on the mechanical side for me. 

Think Hero was pretty interesting at least, but yea I mostly agree. Hopefully whoever it is is mechanically interesting.

Sakurai - Master troller.

Might as well Rename the game Super Smash Emblem Brothers at this point - Nintendo characters just happen to feature in their game now.

Still... maybe another reveal at the end. You never know. But at least we get a second Season of DLC.

• Chuckle 1

Fighter Pass 2 Idea:
Pack #1: Master Chief (along with Master Chief Collection coming to Switch if the rumor is true)

Pack #2: Tails (with Shadow echo and Knuckles as assist trophy promotions)

Pack #3: Waluigi (with Ashley as assist trophy promotion)

Pack #4: Sora (with Bomberman and Shovel Knight as assist trophy promotions) 

Pack #5:  KOS-OMOS or Tekken Rep (with Pokémon Gen 8 rep)

Pack #6: John Marston or Trevor Philips

I actually appreciate that they are adding a Nintendo character since I thought the game was beginning to lose its Nintendo roots in the DLC, but they are adding a rep to the most overrepresented series in the game.

51 minutes ago, mayday2592 said:

Didint Nintendo say the DLC fighters would come from unrepresented franchises? Fire Emblem is far from that.

Sakurai literally opened the direct saying that the character was kept mostly secret from even most Nintendo staff.

I gotta feeling that next fighter might be Master Chief because if Master Chief Collection coming to Switch rumor is true. I think they can reveal him between next Nintendo Direct or E3 2020.

I'm happy with this since he was gonna happen eventually.

Six more fighters after this!! Dang! The Mii Costumes were really cool too.

Also, Byleth releases on my birthday :3

• Thumbs Up 1

Well that was underwhelming.

You wanna know what wasn't tho? Cuphead getting a Mii costume. And Assassins Creed assist trophies.

The characters for the 2nd fighters pass are already decided. I hope Phoenix Wright is on that list!

• Fist Bump 1

Honestly this announcement has me less excited for the 6 characters lined up for Fighter pass 2. If they would choose something like this, it makes it likely we may get another disappointing unnecessary pick. I mean I can understand the previous 4 picks and why, but I just can't wrap myself around this one. This feels like a base game character more than a DLC pick. Fire Emblem already has massive representation. I just can't feel the significance here like any of the previous choices whether I liked them or not.

I'm honestly kind of shocked by just how badly this entire direct was handled. In no short time, we had

• Sakurai basically admitting he knew what the reaction would be by trying to remind everyone to keep calm and not be too disappointed when he announced the character
  • Sakurai building it up as something super cool that even Nintendo didn't know who it was
  • The character is a rep from one of the most over-represented franchises in the entire series
  • The character is another sword-user on top of that
  • The character completely breaking the chain of DLC fighters we had so far by not being from a new franchise, nor being a third party
  • The mii costumes being more exciting than the character we got
  • Sakurai unveils this in the same direct where he talks about Smash not being a fighting game, but rather a celebration of gaming, in the same direct with one of the most disappointing fighters to date
  • The final fighter of FP1 being a first party from a series who has too many reps as is.
  • Sakurai suggesting buying the second Fighter Pass, right after unveiling the most disappointing character thus far 
  • Sakurai stating the content of FP2 is already decided, but giving zero hints as to what any of the characters might be, instead, just throwing a Zelda BOTW costume in as incentive to buy the pass.

Like, I genuinely think this might be the worst Smash direct to date, personally. It's to the point I don't know why they didn't swap Banjo and Bylith's positions. I love Banjo, and I'm happy we've had him since September, but in terms of context, Bylith wouldn't be so badly received if he/she was at least shown as the "middle of the road" part of the fighter pass. I'd imagine there'd still be disappointment, but not quite as much. 

Banjo on the other hand would not only have been a massive shock for the finale of the pass, but on top of that, it fits perfectly with Sakurai's context of this being a celebration of gaming, as well as being "secret" to a large chunk of Nintendo, since only the higher ups would know about arranging a deal with Microsoft about the character. In terms of impact, Joker is the perfect starting point, while Banjo is the perfect finale, since he represents Microsoft and Nintendo making a deal and the point we might see characters from other major gaming publishers join Smash.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Absolutely 1

14 minutes ago, dbzfan7 said:

Honestly this announcement has me less excited for the 6 characters lined up for Fighter pass 2. If they would choose something like this, it makes it likely we may get another disappointing unnecessary pick. I mean I can understand the previous 4 picks and why, but I just can't wrap myself around this one. This feels like a base game character more than a DLC pick. Fire Emblem already has massive representation. I just can't feel the significance here like any of the previous choices whether I liked them or not.

Isn't it a little much to damn the entire DLC line up because they showed off DLC character that didn't interest you?

Idk it's just one character vs the total 11 DLC fighters were getting, yeah I get being disappointed damn. I'm just happy to play a new character in general soon 

• Thumbs Up 2

I appreciate the blatant audacity in doing this; Sakurai doesn't give a single fuck about your feelings.

I had set my sights low and I'm still disappointed. I haven't cared much for most of the dlc fighters but at least they all brought new series into smash and had their own aesthetic/conceptual styles, but Byleth is just another anime dude from an already overreped series and they're not even doing anything particularly interesting with their moveset.

On 7/27/2019 at 2:09 PM, Zaysho said:

"Byleth/Edelgard arrives! DEAL WITH IT" is the only tagline I will accept.

This not being the tagline is actually the biggest disappointment

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Chuckle 1

I'm not too concerned tbh, more content is more content to me, Joker and Banjo are literally the only characters that I care about the source games of and I don't enjoy playing as them enough to make them mains even.  But I still like having new stages/music/opponents to fight.  The aesthetic of the new stage is nice and heck, I never cared about Corrin but I enjoy their gameplay enough that they ended up becoming one of my mains (same was true of Ike back in Brawl too actually).  Maybe Byleth will be the same.

It was definitely misguided of them to make this the finale for the 5 initial DLC characters though, especially when they didn't even have a teaser of DLC character 6 to share.  The whole thing absolutely feels like it's just promo for Three Houses, history repeats itself when it comes to Fire Emblem and Smash, huh?

• Thumbs Up 1

10 minutes ago, Soniman said:

Isn't it a little much to damn the entire DLC line up because they showed off DLC character that didn't interest you?

Idk it's just one character vs the total 11 DLC fighters were getting, yeah I get being disappointed damn. I'm just happy to play a new character in general soon 

I'm not damning the entire new line up....I'm just more cautious and less excited. I feel like they can easily pull something like this again. Every previous choice feels like it has a reason to be here.....I can't see the reason for this. It even seems like the man himself knew this would disappoint with what he said before revealing it. Could easily be a coincidence, but damn it's fishy. I'm sure we'll get exciting stuff, but now we're susceptible to blandness as well.

The line between how much of this is Sakurai's choosing or Nintendo's orders is so dang blurry. XD

• Thumbs Up 1

Wow that sucked.

Can you even figure our worst Representative then another Fire Emblem? It would have to something really stupid, like Baby Mario, Legendary Starfy or Star Fox Peppy. And even those idea have some merit.

3 minutes ago, Nina Cortex Jovahexeon said:

The line between how much of this is Sakurai's choosing or Nintendo's orders is so dang blurry. XD

Not, it's really not.

He chose the characters from the however many characters Nintendo let him choose from. They don't pick from their picks.