Awoo.

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate - DADDY SAKURAI'S WILD RIDE HAS CONCLUDED

Sonictrainer

4 minutes ago, Tracker_TD said:

No, they're Square Enix and Konami characters respectively. 

Then what about Naughty Dog.

8 minutes ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

That's debatable, I'd say Ratchet fits more into the Smash style, and is more relevant/popular in terms of Sony IPs, and I'm a huge Jak fan.

Ratchet had that bad movie game so I don't think he's that popular anymore. 

2 minutes ago, Fire-N-Space said:

Then what about Naughty Dog.

Jak and Daxter were actually owned by Sony, so it's different. A better example a la Snake and Cloud would be say, Crash Bandicoot - who was the 'mascot' of the Playstation, but is now owned by Activision.

Like I said, it's not totally impossible that someone like Jax could get in, but I wouldn't have expected it over a character like Byleth.

• Thumbs Up 2

From Sony-related-but-not-owned-by franchises, Crash and Spyro are most obvious picks. It would be double Sweet after "PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royal" failed to get them.

But who knows, I can count like 30 third party franchises that could potentially joined Smash and I bet I missed another 10. And Byleth proved that in theory Arms or Golden Sun could still join (although AT make those two dubious). I guess Sonic character isn't impossible, but neither is winning lotto three times in a row.

(If I was Nintendo I would make Mother Brain playable, in a new body specifically designed for Smash U and Metroid Prime 4. People would go wild for "sneak-peak" like that.)

• Thumbs Up 1

12 hours ago, Tracker_TD said:

Jak and Daxter were actually owned by Sony, so it's different. A better example a la Snake and Cloud would be say, Crash Bandicoot - who was the 'mascot' of the Playstation, but is now owned by Activision.

Like I said, it's not totally impossible that someone like Jax could get in, but I wouldn't have expected it over a character like Byleth.

But wait Crash Bandicoot was also made also made by Naughty Dog and was seen as the mascot because the games were so good. Is all of Naughty Dogs games own by Sony?

7 minutes ago, Fire-N-Space said:

But wait Crash Bandicoot was also made also made by Naughty Dog and was seen as the mascot because the games were so good. Is all of Naughty Dogs games own by Sony?

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1J8KEabS-L3czNDZR_GzPGuDCVIyCnX20tZWuij6f-EA/edit#gid=0

Here's a cute spreadsheet I made, who owns/made biggest gaming IP. I mostly listed companies (Sega, Capcom), but also few game developers (Insomniac). If I missed something, feel free to correct me.

So  as far as I know, Sony owns "Jak and Daxter" and Uncharted, but not Crash (when I last checked it belonged to Sctivision) and I don't know about the Last of Us.

Naughty Dog made Crash on behalf of Universal (now Activision). Naughty Dog made Jak and Daxter on behalf of Sony.

Spyro is the same way. Insomniac made Spyro for Universal. Insomniac made Ratchet and Clank for Sony.

The former two were only on the PSX because the N64 such a joke for third parties that they'd rather even support the Saturn (hence why in the following generation Spyro and Crash were immediately multiplatform). The latter two were on PS2 because Sony actively funded them.

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, Tornado said:

Naughty Dog made Crash on behalf of Universal (now Activision). Naughty Dog made Jak and Daxter on behalf of Sony.

Spyro is the same way. Insomniac made Spyro for Universal. Insomniac made Ratchet and Clank for Sony.

The former two were only on the PSX because the N64 such a joke for third parties that they'd rather even support the Saturn (hence why in the following generation Spyro and Crash were immediately multiplatform). The latter two were on PS2 because Sony actively funded them.

That makes sense.

On 1/17/2020 at 2:36 PM, MetalSkulkBane said:

From Sony-related-but-not-owned-by franchises, Crash and Spyro are most obvious picks. It would be double Sweet after "PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royal" failed to get them.

But who knows, I can count like 30 third party franchises that could potentially joined Smash and I bet I missed another 10. And Byleth proved that in theory Arms or Golden Sun could still join (although AT make those two dubious). I guess Sonic character isn't impossible, but neither is winning lotto three times in a row.

(If I was Nintendo I would make Mother Brain playable, in a new body specifically designed for Smash U and Metroid Prime 4. People would go wild for "sneak-peak" like that.)

So Twintelle still has a chance? I hope so.

• Thumbs Up 1

Looks like we're getting a Kunio-kun Spirit event (River City)! I kinda hope we get a River City Girls event down the line too.

• Thumbs Up 3

14 minutes ago, Radiant Hero Ike said:

Looks like we're getting a Kunio-kun Spirit event (River City)! I kinda hope we get a River City Girls event down the line too.

Doesn't ArcSys have the rights to River City as of now?  Maybe Sol Badguy could be down the line...

• Thumbs Up 1

New Rumor Time...

Is this reliable? I hope so, they say it's the guy who leaked Byleth, and if it's true, it's definitely not a character one can just guess… well this new character is one of my most wanted, so… don't disappoint me?

If there’s anything Fighter Pack 5 should’ve taught everybody, it’s to stop giving credence to these so called leakers.

• Thumbs Up 6
  • Chuckle 1
  • Absolutely 1

14 minutes ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

If there’s anything Fighter Pack 5 should’ve taught everybody, it’s to stop giving credence to these so called leakers.

ONLY NOW?

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Chuckle 1

14 minutes ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

ONLY NOW?

No, a lot earlier, possibly as early as the Grinch leak.

But given the amount of hype surrounding Fighter’s Pack 5 and how much the leakers were out in full force this time around, especially considering some of the names floating around for FP5 and the amount of “deconfirms” floating around, only for Bylith, the most disappointing thus far to be FP5, I’d like to think FP5 should now be the biggest tip off to stop taking these bullshit leaks as actual credibly information.

I only got to play Byleth for a little while last night. There are some interesting ideas in their kit but it all feels a bit too reigned in, like they were afraid of the character being too strong so they accidentally made them not all that fun to use. Their range makes it possible to call anybody out from midrange but her movement is too bad to follow up with anything. Like Hero she gets a lot of sneaky kills in 4 player matches just because her kit has so much burst damage but in 1v1 matches she feels kinda gimmicky.

She's basically what I thought when I saw the footage. I was hoping there'd be some changes since that direct was recorded in november. 

This tweet right here makes a very good point about Spirits, the Fighter's Pass Vol. 2, and currently represented series:

So I'll toss my hat into the ring regarding a Galar rep: only a few Galar Pokémon were used for the corresponding Spirit Event, which leaves tons more open for a spot in Vol. 2 (like Sirfetch'd or Toxtricity).

• Thumbs Up 1

11 hours ago, Ellipsis-Ultima said:

You mean Cinderace/Intellion might not be a fighter?

Eh, that's not my point. My point was that a Galat Pokémon is still fair game, including one of these two. I just used the two I originally listed as examples.

I've kind of bought into the speculation I've seen that Urshifu, the legendary fighting type in the upcoming DLC pass, might be the SwSh rep for Ultimate if they decide to go with something to promote it. Seems like it'd be a good fit overall, though I'd personally prefer Rillaboom or Intelleon or Sirfetch'd myself.

Though at this point I think they could do anything and most of the previous pass wasn't limited to characters being there for promotional purposes.

• Thumbs Up 1

Sorry to go off the current topic in this thread, but something had been on my mind for a while now. I don't know if this question should be in a separate thread, but I'll go ahead and ask: Which franchises in Smash should get more representation (in terms of music, fighters, spirits, etc)? For me it's these:

Pac-Man: This is the one I have the most problems with, especially since Bandai Namco co-developed both Smash Ultimate and Smash Wii U/3DS. There are so many Pac-Man games to take content from besides the 80s titles. Only four PM games from that era (OG Pac-Man, Super Pac-Man, Pac-Land, and Pac-Mania) are represented, while the rest of the games released from the 90s onward are completely ignored. Everything else from Bandai Namco that's represented. Hell, not even the Pac-Man World games are represented, or even acknowledged in any way. Just because they aren't as iconic as the originals doesn't mean that they should be ignored in any way. But should I be surprised? Everything Bandai Namco has done with Pac-Man ever since the failure of Ghostly Adventures have been just been mobile games, rehashes of the original, only one 2D maze console game that wasn't given much attention, and merchandise. There is so much more that you can do with Pac-Man while staying true to his roots, and I feel like Bamco hasn't really taken advantage of that in a long time.

Final Fantasy: Could use at least another stage and perhaps another fighter, and but more than only a couple of music tracks are needed. Come on, Square Enix. At least Konami (who I still dislike immensely for what they did to Kojima) did Castlevania justice by letting Sakurai put in two Belmonts as fighters, a Dracula boss fight, plenty of spirits, and 32 tracks of Castlevania goodness. 

Sonic: I don't know about you guys, but I don't think Sonic's representation isn't as bad as Cloud's or Pac's. I think all the Blue Blur needs is a stage that isn't Green Hill Zone-based, and of course, another character as a fighter (like Tails, Knuckles, Amy, Shadow, etc.). I dunno.

Kirby: I guess pretty much anything that isn't from the Sakurai era? At least that's what I hear from huge Kirby fans most of the time.

Splatoon: This one along with Kirby are probably the least important to me in terms of representation. Now, even though Splatoon is one of my favorite IPs from Nintendo, it's still a pretty recent IP with only two games plus a DLC that's just an extra single-player mode in the second game, so I can understand why people think that there may not be a lot to add from both games besides what we already have in Smash. There's already have 26 music tracks used in Smash, so I think a few Octo Expansion tracks could be put in. The Inklings could get the hairstyles introduced in Splatoon 2. Octolings as Echo Fighters are a no brainer, since they're not much different from Inklings aside from the fact that they are octopuses. Plus, they're now playable in Splatoon 2, so why not? Off The Hook could definitely be an assist trophy, since the Squid Sisters already are. A couple more stages from the multiplayer/single player modes or Octo Expansion could be put in. That seems to be it, I guess.

So yeah, sorry for the long post, but that's what I think. What about you guys? 

If you want me to be totally honest, I really want Mega Man to get more representation. Even if it just meant Proto Man and Bass echo fighters.

All this game needed for me was Waluigi and Shadow and I would be happy (let's be honest, even just Shadow).

I could list other ideas, but that list is loooooong, so I'll just throw bone for littlest guys: Chibi Robo deserved his own Assist Trophy, arguably Captain Rainbow. And StarTropics wasn't worth a single Spirit? Seriously?

We all bitch and whine about Sonic or Final Fantasy or Kirby, but...let's be real. Game and Watch is the real unsung hero.

All these years since Melee, and not a single track from Game and Watch Gallery? Or hell, not even an Assist Trophy from base Game and Watch.