Awoo.

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate - DADDY SAKURAI'S WILD RIDE HAS CONCLUDED

Sonictrainer

Personally, I just want more Wario content that isn't recycled from older Smash games and doesn't come from WarioWare. It doesn't even need to be a new fighter: just add some remixes and a stage from Wario Land and I'm happy.

I love WarioWare, but the lack of Wario Land stuff in Smash is so strange for me. The games never produced Pokémon numbers, but were some of the best-selling titles on the Game Boy family.

• Thumbs Up 4

Sort of on the topic of representation, anyone got any ideas for Assist Trophies for franchises that lack them? Mine are:

Manhole (Game and Watch): Appears near the blast zone to rescue the summoner during their fall.

Pokémon Ranger: Draws loops around opponents that slowly deal damage. Any continuous looping around opponents over 100% damage instantly K.O.'s them.

Condor (Ice Climber): Flies around and catches any opponents it sees (it can catch up to two at a time) and carries them up to the top of the screen.

Wii Balance Board: Wiggles around and causes either earthquakes that continuously trip opponents, or turn the floor to ice, causing opponents to slip around.

Bald Bull: Constantly charges onto opponents, sometimes pulling a Slip Counter when attacked.

Cactuar: Hops around hurting anyone that touches it (even when it's damaged) and attacks with its signature 10,000 Needles at the end.

And if DLC Assist Trophies were possible:

Jack Frost (SMT/Persona): Runs around shooting ice at enemies, sometimes hanging from upside down.

Golem (Dragon Quest): Slowly walks around and chucks boulders at opponents.

Mumbo Jumbo (Banjo-Kazooie): Casts a spell that randomly transforms the player*.

Nakoruru (Samurai Shodown): Fights opponents with her dagger and her trusted bird friend, Mamahaha.

*The transformations by Mumbo Jumbo are as follows:

-Giant

-Tiny

-Invincible

-Bunny

-Metal

-Bullet Bill

-Super Leaf

-Superspicy Curry

-Gold

Or he can just turn you into a washing machine, leaving you completely helpless until the transformation wears off in ten seconds or an opponent tosses you off.

5 hours ago, Cayenne said:

Personally, I just want more Wario content that isn't recycled from older Smash games and doesn't come from WarioWare. It doesn't even need to be a new fighter: just add some remixes and a stage from Wario Land and I'm happy.

I love WarioWare, but the lack of Wario Land stuff in Smash is so strange for me. The games never produced Pokémon numbers, but were some of the best-selling titles on the Game Boy family.

This is actually pretty fair. It is really weird that the only Wario stage is the Brawl warioware one.

Not just because you know, it's only Warioware, and they are outright skimming/ignoring his originals and history, but also because to me that stage feels super duper dated. Like visually I look at and just think urgh, brawl. That alongside like the zelda bridge one and lylat cruise. all foul.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Remy said:

This is actually pretty fair. It is really weird that the only Wario stage is the Brawl warioware one.

Not just because you know, it's only Warioware, and they are outright skimming/ignoring his originals and history, but also because to me that stage feels super duper dated. Like visually I look at and just think urgh, brawl. That alongside like the zelda bridge one and lylat cruise. all foul.

There's also the Gamer stage from Smash 4.

• Thumbs Up 1

14 minutes ago, Cinematic Speedster CC14 said:

There's also the Gamer stage from Smash 4.

Oh man. I completely forgot about it the wario connection there, somehow. That stage is so out there (and i admit I enver played game and wario lol) that I just mentally filed it as it's own weird thing.

I kind of like playing Byleth. I'm not certain they're a great character. I like that they feel like a fairly unique archtype for smash- Yes I know, it's another Sword Lord but the actual moveset is a bait and punish type with lots of long distance moves with tipper boxes. If you're on point with your position and reads you can really fucking ruin someone's day quickly. On a counterpoint, if you whiff or make bad calls you also get owned so fast.

I've been experimenting with trying to get people to block Byleth downsmash after an arrow to get a deliberate guard break. When it works it's so satisfying, Down B pretty much guarentees a KO. It's surprising how many people get hit by it and then still roll behind me next stock to get hit by it again.

• Thumbs Up 1

12 hours ago, Remy said:

Like CC14 said, there's also Gamer. It's a very fun stage to play with friends, but I would like something that isn't from WarioWare for a change.

Sometimes I wonder if Nintendo prefers to focus on WarioWare because they think there's no interest for Wario Land in general. The last game in the series (Wario Land Shake It!/The Shake Dimension, released 12 years ago) was apparently very expansive to develop (Production I.G. worked on the animations, cutscenes and gameplay) and flopped really hard.

• Thumbs Up 2

Honestly for Wario even just some more music would be nice, it's pretty bizarre that in Wii U they seemingly acknowledged the lack of Wario Land content by like... making his shoulder barge move more prominently Wario Land-ish and... adding a single music track from the Wii Wario Land.

I won't lie though, Gamer is an interesting stage, it certainly does the "everyone get out of danger" mechanic in a less clusterfucky way than Norfair does, but it also feels like one of those unfortunate artifacts of the time Wii U/3DS came out. Gamer is a stage that made sense at the time, representing a memorable point in the most recent release for Wario, but then when Ultimate comes out it causes this stage from what would turn out to be a pretty small footnote in Wario's overall franchise to come off as an unsatisfyingly large portion of content for his franchise, considering, yeah, it's one of two stages for him.  If Ultimate had thrown in a new stage for every franchise it would've been fine, but since they only did Mario and Zelda for that, some of the other franchises feel very neglected.

Windy Hill has the same issue - not a truly notable stage in the franchise's history, but an unfortunate artifact of being the latest when Wii U came out and then not recieving anything new in Ultimate.

It's a shame because Ultimate would've been a great opportunity to cover notable locations from each franchise that had somehow gotten missed due to, like Wario and Sonic, only getting two stages of "the obvious choice" and "the latest choice" over the years.  Like, obviously New Donk City and Great Plateau Tower are perfect choices for Mario and Zelda, though if they also got the honour of a "catch-up" stage as well, it feels really weird that over the years we've never had a Bowser Castle stage or, much as I don't personally care for the game, a Link to the Past-based stage. I'm sure most franchises have some location or another that is extremely iconic for fans and yet doesn't have a Smash stage, and would be worth dipping into the past to make rather than automatically just doing a stage from the latest game.

Having said that, all the above is a little picky and self-entitled, this is all hypothetical "in a perfect world where they had the resources", I'm pretty satisfied with what they offered up in Ultimate, there's really no chance of getting bored with the stage selection in spite of the focus on old stuff.  The new music does a lot to freshen up old favourites too, in fact the only stages that really ever make me go "ugh not this one" are the ones where no new music was made available.  So uhh... yeah, looking at you again, Warioware lol.

I'd pay through the nose for a stage pack DLC though.  Even if it mostly just added the missing stages.  Actually I was really hoping they'd surprise us with a few freebies like 3DS/Wii U did with Mario Maker and Duck Hunt (on 3DS), but a year in I'm not expecting that anymore.

Ultimate was the game that implemented a more Wario Land-accurate Shoulder Barge back in to his moveset by making it his new dash attack. I don't believe Smash 4 had any equivalent move, as it was previously his forward smash in Brawl before the following games changed it to a big fist.

Also, you're probably thinking of Miiverse, not Mario Maker concerning free stages. (Mario Maker was the only standalone purchasable brand new stage in Smash 4 and it cost a little more than the added returning stages.)

• Thumbs Up 2

I like the stage selection overall but the lack of new stages on launch was disappointing. DLC is going a long way to fix Ultimates lack of new content since otherwise it felt like it wasn't leaving much of its own mark on Smash history. 

• Thumbs Up 3

2 hours ago, Wraith said:

I like the stage selection overall but the lack of new stages on launch was disappointing. DLC is going a long way to fix Ultimates lack of new content since otherwise it felt like it wasn't leaving much of its own mark on Smash history. 

Same. If I were in charge, I would have the stage selection focus almost entirely on new stages, with stages like Great Bay and Fountain of Dreams being among the returning stages.

40 minutes ago, tailsBOOM! said:

Cuphead Spirit Event!!!

@dbzfan7

Gotta say, didn't see this coming! Hope the Mii Gunner costume is the main Fighter, and Mega Man is Mugman's stand-in.

• Thumbs Up 1

So the next Fighters Pass characters are most likely the last ones.

Also, the characters are chosen by Nintendo, just like last time. I'm excited!

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Radiant Hero Ike said:

Also, the characters are chosen by Nintendo, just like last time. I'm excited!

Aw yea! Bring on the Grookey and AC New Horizons rep! Lez go!!

23 hours ago, Perkilator said:

Whoever did all that promo art needs a serious raise.

What? Are they implying that we're actually getting new Final Fantasy spirits? Ha!

Heh, cute. 

52 minutes ago, Nina Cortex Jovahexeon said:

What? Are they implying that we're actually getting new Final Fantasy spirits? Ha!

Nah, it's for the online tourneys.

I have decided... my top wish list for Fighter Pass 2. Let's go!

1. Waluigi 

I feel like they will make an exception with ATs and playable characters for him, he's just so requested, and the one missing character from the Super Mario series. There are plenty of great moves for him to fight with.

Stage Choice: Waluigi Pinball

2. Skull Kid

C'mon, Legend of Zelda hasn't had a brand new character since Brawl with Toon Link, and he was another semi-clone, so why not add another character here? He's very requested too, and yeah, I guess another last exception to the "AT rule".

Stage Choice: Lost Woods

3. Obstagoon

A lot of us want a Galarian Pokemon, obviously they will want to invest and tie in with the success of SwSh, I kinda really don't want Cinderace to make it in, I get it, main face Pokemon but still, we have Incineroar who is a combat & fire type, it's the same. So why not a Pokemon with a really cool design who is also a new type? 

Stage Choice: Galar Wild Area

4. Minecraft Steve

This is more of a prediction, but it would be a nice inclusion as well, I don't play Minecraft but I'm definitely interested in knowing where they can take him as a fighter in a Smash game.

Stage Choice: Minecraft (?)

5. Crash Bandicoot

Ignoring the rumours, he's one of THE missing fighters here, they can take moves from CTR as well since it's so popular and a vast part of the series, plus of course Aku Aku etc. I can definitely see him as a possibility, and somebody I actually really want in Smash.

Stage Choice: Glacier Park

6. Tails

Screw Knuckles and Shadow, or Eggman, I really need Tails to be playable here, they can take his obvious physical strenghts and weaknesses, as well as his gadgets and creations to make him differ from Sonic.

Stage Choice: Death Egg Zone

What do you think?

• Thumbs Up 1

Two bosses? Dr. Eggman and Sephiroth are who I'd add.

The most poorly repped franchises in Smash need more love, yo!

• Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, tailsBOOM! said:

The next Spirit event contains one new upgradeable Spirit, this time from... Warframe???

@dbzfan7 @Perkilator

I’ve heard, and…well, nothing I expected anytime soon.

2 minutes ago, dbzfan7 said:

I see no date for when this is.

I’m pretty sure it’s part of a general Spirit Event for Spirits clad in black. It takes place starting on around this Friday.

8 minutes ago, tailsBOOM! said:

this time from... Warframe???

What's so peculiar about this?