Awoo.

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate - DADDY SAKURAI'S WILD RIDE HAS CONCLUDED

Sonictrainer

Never got much into ARMS but I thought the demo back around its launch was fun and I did like the character designs. I'm definitely expecting MinMin - she won the game's de-facto popularity contest back around last E3, when FP2 was probably locked in. And that makes some sense, since she's got her kicks and dragon ARMS to give her a bit more moveset potential. 

As for what's next, the only character I want at this point is Arle from Puyo Puyo. I won't be destroyed if she's not in because holy hell I already got Terry, but I think she's definitely a justified inclusion (and hasn't been DLC spirit'd yet) - she may be another SEGA rep, but I'd call her a hell of a lot more "bigger and iconic" than someone like Shantae for what she represents (one of the few puzzle games to stand shoulder to shoulder with Tetris, as well as being the first not-Dr. Mario puzzle rep for the game) as well as for Smash's tendency to lean towards Japan for its fighters. 

• Thumbs Up 5

Alpharad makes a good point towards the end. Due to Covid-19, it’s possible this could be a primarily Nintendo based pass due to how difficult it is to do negations and it being easier to just do in house characters. Keep in mind this cycle is going to be longer than wave 1, going on until the end of next year, so they likely don’t have all the characters negotiated/chosen. (tho I mean we’re in a digital age, doing business and negotiations over video chat or phone can’t be THAT inconvenient for a lot of these companies...but I digress)

56 minutes ago, KHCast said:

Keep in mind this cycle is going to be longer than wave 1, going on until the end of next year, so they likely don’t have all the characters negotiated/chosen. (tho I mean we’re in a digital age, doing business and negotiations over video chat or phone can’t be THAT inconvenient for a lot of these companies...but I digress)

The Fighters Pass 2 characters are already chosen. The delayed meetings Sakurai referred to recently were probably more for stuff such as "does this character look alright" or "is this concept for a move OK", licensing stuff, like how he'd have to ask SEGA "can we make Sonic's alternate colours suck less" and SEGA would be like, "nah not really". He'd still need to do these things even with Nintendo characters - Sora and Namco aren't Nintendo and don't work at Nintendo's HQ.

There's likely to be some delay, but I don't think it'll reflect on the characters chosen, just the development time. 

• Thumbs Up 6

14 minutes ago, Tracker_TD said:

The delayed meetings Sakurai referred to recently were probably more for stuff such as "does this character look alright" or "is this concept for a move OK", licensing stuff, like how he'd have to ask SEGA "can we make Sonic's alternate colours suck less" and SEGA would be like, "nah not really".

Wouldn’t they still be able to do this via video chatting, texting, etc?

6 minutes ago, KHCast said:

Wouldn’t they still be able to do this via video chatting, texting, etc?

Perhaps, but I think it'd still be a bit slower to communicate changes needing to be made and implementing those changes with the rest of the development team, especially should their office be closed. The hardware to develop the game couldn't just be brought home with one team member, that'd be way too risky; so the work they could get done would be limited. It probably makes more sense to hold the discussions when they can actually act on the feedback. 

• Thumbs Up 1

In that case I don’t see why this would make 3rd party development anymore difficult compared to 1st party if the core issue is getting the development team together to actually work on the characters and work on edits/changes. Seems like regardless either one is getting indefinitely delayed 

4 minutes ago, KHCast said:

In that case I don’t see why this would make 3rd party development anymore difficult compared to 1st party if the core issue is getting the development team together to actually work on the characters and work on edits/changes. Seems like regardless either one is getting indefinitely delayed 

Yeah, that's my point. 

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Absolutely 1

30 minutes ago, dbzfan7 said:

Pretty sure all the picks and deals have concluded before the announcement of this new pack.

Heck, I could've told you that. Sakurai himself even made that clear on his twitter that the choices were already made.

So as to get people to stop pestering him with character campaigning.

2 hours ago, Tracker_TD said:

Yeah, that's my point. 

So then would this imply that the theories going around that they went with a Nintendo rep first due to the Corona virus, are likely untrue? Personally, given the information cleared up about the character choices being finalized, I don’t believe them. At this point, there’s nothing 1st party reps have over 3rd in this situation. Discussions regarding development would need to occur regardless of who it is. All the legal work has likely already been done, so it’s just developing them.

It might be that they had already finalized the pass roster before the Covid appeared, but they originally intended the ARMs rep to be maybe the second fighter to be announced and a third party character would come before. But when the virus did arrive, it indeed has discouraged any further meetings with the intended 3rd party company. So as a backup plan, they've instead shifted work onto their 1st party rep as a safety net.

That would explain why the Direct said they "need more time" to finish the ARMs rep: they never fully started on the character in first place (But I just realized this only works if they were being worked on simultaneously, even then... 😣)

• Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, Supah Berry said:

But when the virus did arrive, it indeed has discouraged any further meetings with the intended 3rd party company.

The problem with this theory again, is that there are plenty of ways to do meetings without physical contact. It’s the 21st century, and we’re in a digital age of communication.  If they already have these characters picked, I see absolutely no reason why meetings would be difficult in 2020 for the multi billion dollar companies that more than likely have Skype and a decent internet connection. The only real reasonable complication I can see here is the actual development of these characters, but that’s not limited to 3rd parties. 

• Thumbs Up 2

I don't buy it. I mean, what stops Nintendo from releasing those DLC few months later with sexy 3rd party, rather than desperately scraping 1rst party bottom now?

I mean, let's say Waluigi and Issac from Golden Sun are next. Can you list 3 more characters popular enough that people will want to spend money on them? Chibi Robo? Bandana Waddle Dee? Tingle?

...ow wait, even more Pokemon starters. Yeah, that would be low blow and could totally work.

• Thumbs Up 1

All I'm saying is, considering this...

Sakurai is still deep into work, as usual, the characters will be fun for sure, but the choices Nintendo made better be worth it. I'm not gonna rule out huge fan favorites honestly, deep cuts will also make it in... I'm kind of afraid of Arle at this point, she's my nightmare at the moment, because she's definitely on the table. Obviously everyone wants their tops picks, mine change all the time, eh.

It will be a mix of big favorites, Nintendo stars of the moment for cross promotion, 3rd party icons. Honestly there should be something for everybody.

With ARMS representing FP6, I decided to play the ARMS trial for the weekend. I did every character’s Grand Prix to see who’d be best for Smash, and my choice was none other than Min Min. Here’s a moveset I made for her:

Spoiler

Intro: Min Min jumps down from the sky and gets into her fighting stance.

Stance/Idle 1: Her fighting stance from ARMS,

Idle 2: Min Min’s Dragon Arms breathe fire for a second.

Notable Palette Swaps: Yellow Min Min, White Min Min, Pink Min Min, Ninjara, Helix, Kid Cobra, Max Brass

Walk: Her walking animation from ARMS.

Jog: Her jogging animation from ARMS.

Dash: Her dashing animation from ARMS.

Damage: Her damage animation from ARMS.

Jump: Her jumping animation from ARMS.

Crouch: Min Min crouches with her ARMS held slightly above her.

Weapon of Choice: ARMS, a special type of Melee weapon designed for ARMS fights.

Jab: Min Min does a short-reaching jab with either arm (7%, small knockback)
Forward+A: Min Min briefly summons a Ramram using the ARM closer to the background (9%, OK knockback)
Down+A: Min Min raises the foot closer to the background and kicks downward (8%, OK knockback)
Up+A: Min Min kicks upwards using the foot closer to the foreground (8%, small knockback) while using her ARMS for a brief handstand.

Aerial Attacks

Air+A: Min Min kicks in a circle with the foot closer to the background (7%, small knockback)
Air Forward+A: Min Min kicks forward with the foot closer to the background (7%, small knockback)
Air Back + A: Min Min kicks backwards with the foot closer to the foreground (8%, small knockback)
Air Up+A: Min Min kicks upwards (8%, small knockback)
Air Down+A: Min Min kicks downwards (11%, OK knockback)

Dash Attack: Min Min does a jumping kick with the foot closer to the background (9%, OK knockback)
Edge Attack: Min Min stretches back and springs upwards with a arc kick (10%, OK knockback)
Get-Up Attack: Min Min turns her ARMS into Ramrams and spins around (12%, OK knockback)

Smash Moves
Forward+A: Min Min fully extends the Dragon ARM closer to the foreground (17%, OK knockback)
Up+A: Min Min strikes upwards with charged Ramrams that cut through the air like wind (19%, medium knockback)
Down+A: Min Min slams her Megawatt ARMS on both sides of the ground (26%, medium knockback)

Grab and Throws

Grab: Her grab from ARMS.
Pummel: Min Min kicks the opponent (2%)
Forwards+Throw: The second half of her throw from ARMS (13%, OK knockback)
Down+Throw: The first part of her throw from ARMS (11%, OK knockback)
Back+Throw: Min Min jumps above the opponent still grabbing them, and then kicks them from behind (14%, OK knockback); based on Helix’s throw from ARMS.
Up+Throw: Kid Cobra’s throw from ARMS (16%, OK knockback)

Special Moves

B : Dragon Beam; Min Min sends one of her Dragon ARMS forward, and the one she sends out shoots a fiery beam that can be moved up or down (15%, OK knockback). When charged, the beam is bigger and the Dragon can’t be aimed (25%, medium knockback)
B + Forwards : Ramram Slice-n-Dice; Min Min sends a Ramram forward and sliced by spinning backwards (13%, OK knockback). When charged, it spins 5 times in succession (20%, OK knockback)
B + Up : Megawatt Propel; Min Min punches diagonally downward from herself to propel forward (16%, medium knockback). When charged, Min Min sends out a bigger Megawatt to propel herself further (24%, medium knockback)
B + Down : Dragon Charge; Min Min stores energy in her to power up a special move. When B + Down is pressed again, Min Min instead shoots an orb that uses the energy for Dragon Beam. This beam homes in on players, but takes awhile to make contact (16%, OK knockback)

Final Smash: Dragon Rush; Min Min is surged with energy. She punches outward with a Megawatt (18%), creates a flurry of Ramrams (13%) and then shoots two powerful beams out of both her Dragon ARMS (32%; 63% total, devastating knockback)

Gimmick: Every now and then, the arm closest to the foreground will be turned into dragon scales. Her attack power is then permanently raised by 1.1x until she is K.O.’d. In addition, her aerials reduce damage taken from attacks.

Taunts:

1: Her winpose for when she wins a round.
2: Min Min loosely mimics her official render.
1+2: Min Min loosely mimics her Grand Prix ending artwork.

Winposes:

1: Her animation for when she wins the Grand Prix in ARMS, belt and all.
2: Her victory animation from ARMS where she ends with a kick with the left foot close to the camera.
3: Her victory animation from ARMS where she raises her dragon scaled right arm and then poses it towards the camera, with the Dragon ARM being offscreen.

Icon: The ARMS logo constantly seen throughout the game.

Boxing Ring Title: The Ramen Bomber

Victory Music: https://youtu.be/kwQ6_rwvMp8

Kirby Hat: Min Min’s hat, hair, and mask.

I hate the periodic spirit crap. Just stahp please. Make it so you can get them anytime during the event.

Never mind. Was weird it didn't work the filler trick til 2 hours later.

Smash Bros Ultimate development was halted for the past couple of weeks but the team has just resumed work remotely.

• Thumbs Up 4

Dammit Sakurai TAKE A BREAK!!! Stop being so hardworking and special dammit. We already don't deserve you. Take a well deserved break for the love of...

• Thumbs Up 4

Can't read moon runes, what does it say?

39 minutes ago, Teoskaven said:

Can't read moon runes, what does it say?

On Friday, there’s going to be a special online tournament themed after Brawl.

• 2 weeks later...

Here’s my concept for a Curien Mansion stage:

Game of Origin: The House of the Dead (1996)

Description: A mansion belonging to scientist Roy Curien. The scientist has gone mad and unleashed his horrible experimental monsters (mainly zombies) onto his own employees! And now, they lurch onto the battlefield, hungry for the first living thing that enters their sights…

Layout: The fight takes place outside the doors leading into the mansion. The main platform is the bottom of the stairs that lead to the main door, with two long sets of stairs on either side. These stairs are suspended over a moat that can be swam in.

Gimmicks and Hazards: Each of the suspended stairs have at least one zombie on them (sometimes two). When a zombie grabs a fighter, it bites them (10%) and tosses them aside (OK knockback). These zombies can be attacked, but they can only be knocked out.

In addition, one of HOTD1’s first three bosses (Chariot, Hangedman and Hermit) will jump to the center platform. Only one appears per match on this stage, and being stage bosses, the one that appears can be K.O.’d.

-Chariot: Slowly walks around on the center platform and swings his axe (20%, medium knockback); his weak point is his body, which can be revealed by attacking the open armor spot near his right shoulder.
-Hangedman: Sends an army of bats after the fighters (4% per bat, small knockback); he also sometimes grabs a fighter and drowns them by chucking them into the moat, instantly K.O.-ing them if they don’t break free.. His weak point is his body.
-Hermit: Spins a web around the stage that can immobilize fighters, and attacks any fighters on the central platform with its claws (13%, OK knockback); its weak point is its head.

Music:

• Main Theme - The House of the Dead
  • Chapter 1: Tragedy~AMS Agent (The House of the Dead; New Remix)
  • AMS Agent (The House of the Dead; The House of the Dead 2 Ver.)
  • Chapter 2 and 3: Revenge/Truth (The House of the Dead; New Remix)
  • Chapter 4: The House of the Dead (The House of the Dead; original)
  • Theme of Magician (The House of the Dead; New Remix)
  • Boss Battle (The House of the Dead 2)
  • First Chapter: A Prelude (The House of the Dead 2; original)
  • Dawn~Remix of Year Seventh (The House of the Dead 4)
  • Final Chapter: Original Sin (The House of the Dead 2; New Remix)
  • Theme of the Emperor (The House of the Dead 2; original)
  • Prelude of Impatience~Chapter 0 (House of the Dead 3; original)
  • Infiltration~Vs. Death (House of the Dead 3; New Remix)
  • Theme of the Last Mystery (The House of the Dead 3; original)
  • Bullet of Death~Gauge (The House of the Dead 4; New Remix)
  • Boss Raid (The House of the Dead 4; original)
  • Give it All You Got! (The House of the Dead 4; original)
  • Vs. Mother (The House of the Dead: Overkill; New Remix)

Battlefield/Ω Form: The central platform near the stairs that lead to the main door. The platforms are based on the balcony where Magician Type-0, the first game’s final boss, is fought.