Awoo.

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate - DADDY SAKURAI'S WILD RIDE HAS CONCLUDED

Sonictrainer

Sakurai's twitter screenshot game is too strong. 

Man before COVID I was gearing up to take my Terry to some tourneys buts the whole Isolation vibe really killed my motivation to play this game. Online mode is hellish even with ethernet so I'm just not playing at all. 

• Thumbs Up 1

28 minutes ago, Remy said:

Sakurai's twitter screenshot game is too strong. 

Man before COVID I was gearing up to take my Terry to some tourneys buts the whole Isolation vibe really killed my motivation to play this game. Online mode is hellish even with ethernet so I'm just not playing at all. 

Why not practice against the CPU, or have a bit of fun with Classic Mode?

3 minutes ago, Perkilator said:

Why not practice against the CPU, or have a bit of fun with Classic Mode?

Not to sound arrogant, but I'm way beyond the point where that's satisfying for me. Nothing is a substitute for a real player.

My enjoyment of these games isn't really just mechanically hitting cpus, or beating classic mode, it's beating other players. Smash for me is a medium a use to communicate/compete/dance with other humans.

The kick I get now is the feeling when you read someone's roll from ledge and f smash them into oblivion. When you just know someone is going to double jump off stage and you catch them with a dair spike meteor into the blast zone. Catching someone holding ledge too long with a bair and stage spiking them. Frying someone's brain with pressure so much so that they hold shield enough for you to grab em 8 times in a row. 

That kind of stuff. Whenever I buy a fighting game I barely touch single player.  For me it's all about playing with others. 

36 minutes ago, Remy said:

I'm lucky to have someone to play locally with but if I didn't I wouldn't play at all. Online is basically impossible to take seriously so I just stick to offline and the occasional party matches in lobbies.

Then again it's not like most other fighting games are much better in that department. 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Wraith said:

Then again it's not like most other fighting games are much better in that department. 

They’re good enough to stay in EVO. 

1 minute ago, KHCast said:

They’re good enough to stay in EVO. 

No they're not. All 9 games were kicked out. The lineup was replaced entirely with games that have Rollback netcode

1 minute ago, Wraith said:

No they're not. All 9 games were kicked out. The lineup was replaced entirely with games that have Rollback netcode

When was that, cause last I heard the only game people made a deal about being taken out, was Smash. 

5 minutes ago, KHCast said:

When was that, cause last I heard the only game people made a deal about being taken out, was Smash. 

None of the tournaments that were originally running are going ahead. The four games that are running this year are:

Mortal Kombat 11
Killer Instinct
Skullgirls 
Them's Fighting Herds.

We've known this since Evo online was announced. Delayed based netcode is a source of derision in the Fighting game community in general right now. Smash is just it's worst implementation.

I was ride or die for killer instinct- you can check my old posts here. It was basically the only game I could play online for a long time, even with a small playerbase, because of that awesome netcode. I'm glad to see EVO putting some respect on it's name.

The games that are still in evo are the only games with acceptable netcode. Street Fighter V IMO could have been still ran after the latest netcode patches, but I see why people have issues with it. Tekken 7 is a nightmare and I have no idea why people put up with it.

45 minutes ago, Wraith said:

I'm lucky to have someone to play locally with but if I didn't I wouldn't play at all. Online is basically impossible to take seriously so I just stick to offline and the occasional party matches in lobbies.

Since COVID started I've played against my cousin once when the lifted restrictions a little here in aus. So much easier dealing with his palutena gimmicks without 10 frames of delay

1 hour ago, Wraith said:

None of the tournaments that were originally running are going ahead. The four games that are running this year are:

Mortal Kombat 11
Killer Instinct
Skullgirls 
Them's Fighting Herds.

We've known this since Evo online was announced. Delayed based netcode is a source of derision in the Fighting game community in general right now. Smash is just it's worst implementation.

You're confusing the lineup with the open tournements. They're holding those four games seperately from the main event, where the lineup is still same sans Smash. If they just had tournements where everyone could and had left nothing for just the contenstants that'd been invited to compete on, there'd be no EVO whatsoever.

1 hour ago, Supah Berry said:

You're confusing the lineup with the open tournements. They're holding those four games seperately from the main event, where the lineup is still same sans Smash. If they just had tournements where everyone could and had left nothing for just the contenstants that'd been invited to compete on, there'd be no EVO whatsoever.

Evo is an open tournament dude lol. it's not an invitational. those exhibition games are just the self fellation of community "prominent members"

• Thumbs Up 3

10 hours ago, Remy said:

I was ride or die for killer instinct- you can check my old posts here. It was basically the only game I could play online for a long time, even with a small playerbase, because of that awesome netcode. I'm glad to see EVO putting some respect on it's name.

The games that are still in evo are the only games with acceptable netcode. Street Fighter V IMO could have been still ran after the latest netcode patches, but I see why people have issues with it. Tekken 7 is a nightmare and I have no idea why people put up with it.

I played Tekken over street fighter this gen just because I found the gameplay more fun but I'm not sure how the online got as much of a pass as it did for as long as it did. It's truly dreadful even down to trying to get games going in lobbies with friend.

I only booted SFV twice since CE so I can't comment on that game's netcode now but I always had problems with it in years prior. Not nearly to Tekken's extent tbh but it was nerve wracking. 

Never got the chance to try Killer Instinct but as a Skullgirls player who couldn't get anyone else in my group to try it this has been satisfying in a twisted way, lmao.

10 hours ago, Remy said:

Since COVID started I've played against my cousin once when the lifted restrictions a little here in aus. So much easier dealing with his palutena gimmicks without 10 frames of delay

The online/offline experience is def different. I play Zelda a lot and it's like she moves up 10 spots on the tier list in lag. All of her cheesy gimmick specials become toxic.

I still prefer offline though because my true love are the faster, movement based characters like Fox and I don't even fucking bother trying to play them seriously online.

• Thumbs Up 1

9 hours ago, Remy said:

Evo is an open tournament dude lol. it's not an invitational. those exhibition games are just the self fellation of community "prominent members"

Yeesh, tell us how you really feel.

But yea, there's kind of a reason Smash wasn't in the exhibition lineup. Nobody wants to suffer that shit.

• Thumbs Up 1

Outside Smash, I have Street Fighter V, MKXL, UMvC3 and MvCI as my fighters available. The one I play the most aside from Smash is UMvC3, and the online is unfortunately dead so my drive to replay it is limited, but I always remembered the online being fairly decent back in the 360/PS3 days. I was really hoping to get more into SF this gen with V, because I love the newcomers (Necalli and Rashid I will always Stan lol) and accessibility, but I only did a couple matches online and that was enough to put me off because of how crappy it was. (Also the microtransactions plus dlc, were a turn off) It’s crazy how I keep coming back to smash, despite my burning desire to get back into traditional fighting scenes lol

I find that Smash online is far less enjoyable when I have to fight certain characters. Usually Joker and Zelda, but Pikachu, Mr. Game & Watch and Ness/Lucas have all been annoying to fight. It doesn't even feel good when you win, I just have a "thank God that's over" reaction.

In other news, I got Ike and Marth into Elite Smash recently. Corrin is the only Fire Emblem character I've yet to get into Elite Smash as.

EDIT: Just managed to get Corrin into Elite Smash!

• Thumbs Up 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/29/2020 at 3:37 PM, Radiant Hero Ike said:

I find that Smash online is far less enjoyable when I have to fight certain characters. Usually Joker and Zelda, but Pikachu, Mr. Game & Watch and Ness/Lucas have all been annoying to fight. It doesn't even feel good when you win, I just have a "thank God that's over" reaction.

In other news, I got Ike and Marth into Elite Smash recently. Corrin is the only Fire Emblem character I've yet to get into Elite Smash as.

EDIT: Just managed to get Corrin into Elite Smash!

Oh God, fuck Ness. All his mains do is just spam pk fire over and over.

8 hours ago, Johnny Boy said:

Oh God, fuck Ness. All his mains do is just spam pk fire over and over.

Yeah, I try my hardest not to use it more than once in a row. Ness's who use it 4 times in a row when SDI does absolutely nothing are my nemeses. Nemesy? One of those.

On an unrelated note, we still seem to be on track for that ARMS character this month. At least, we haven't heard anything to the contrary. I still think a delay would be possible, but I'll keep hoping for the best!

I dunno how feasible this is but I wonder if they're being secretive about the ARMS character because the big surprise is gonna be that it's a Bowser Jr.-style "every costume is a different character" deal, with them all using an amalgamation moveset representing the whole game.  I didn't get into ARMS so I don't really care either way who it ends up being, and I might be completely underselling the intricacies of the different characters by suggesting they could share a moveset here lol.

I mean they all mainly do punches with springy arms right

EDIT: A friend reminded me that this concept would potentionally be incompatible with Twintelle's animation style of using her hair, and that apparently the fighters all have quite different builds and fighting style within the framework of the ARMS combat system so probably one to disregard. As far as I'm aware, Twintelle is one of the most popular characters so skipping over her would be pretty poorly recieved.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, JezMM said:

I dunno how feasible this is but I wonder if they're being secretive about the ARMS character because the big surprise is gonna be that it's a Bowser Jr.-style "every costume is a different character" deal

It's the the only way Arms Rep would be remotely worthy to being 1 character DLC.

But they made another Fire Emblem, so it's not like they give a damn.

As already mentioned in the edit; I feel like the people expecting a Bowser Jr situation are just people who didn't play the actual game. I didn't get into ARMS much either, but just from the demos I've played I know there's more to each character than "they have big ol' ARMS". For example, Byte and Barq's duo style, and Min Min's integration of kicks and that dragon arm that's intended to be her speciality. 

It'd be like adding Akuma as a straight alternate costume for Ryu; they have the same kind of framework, but there's more to it that differentiates them beyond being interchangeable costume swaps.

I'm still fully expecting Min Min; in addition to having kicks as part of her moveset and the dragon arm, she outright won the final popularity tournament in the game. I feel like she's a shoe-in. 

10 hours ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

It's the the only way Arms Rep would be remotely worthy to being 1 character DLC.

It's considered a 'dead game', sure, but ARMS sold pretty damn well for a fighter. Perhaps you could attribute it to being an early title, sure, but the only thing I'm surprised about with the ARMS rep is that it took until the second pack. I'd say it earned its spot in a predominantly Nintendo-themed fighter; I know we're used to crazy third party picks now, and I do love those, but if I was to pick another Nintendo rep for the second pass, ARMS was certainly up there.

• Thumbs Up 2

Arms is a Mega Man 1 sort of case.

Sure, the first inning wasn't the best, but it certainly wasn't bad.

It could easily stand for a second installment to properly ramp things up a notch. 

• Thumbs Up 2

It's Min Min :D

EbHy7TbVAAMF5Wr?format=jpg&name=large

Join Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Director Masahiro Sakurai for an in-depth look at the new fighter Min Min from ARMS. Purchase the Fighters Pass Vol. 2 to obtain Min Min immediately following release on June 29!

• Thumbs Up 3