Awoo.

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate - DADDY SAKURAI'S WILD RIDE HAS CONCLUDED

Sonictrainer

I fucking love it. They even committed to the shitty animations! 

I've played so much bloody Minecraft that even though there's plenty of other characters I personally want more, there's no real way I can be angry about this. And that music, goddamn. 

• Thumbs Up 5

2 minutes ago, Your Vest Friend said:

Activision would be interested in it as a promotional opportunity...but seeing as they have nothing to promote on Switch for Crash right now, that would be pointless. 

Anyway, joke above aside, I'm not that fussed over this (I'd take it over another FE rep that's for sure), it'll just into the pile of characters I never use.

At least he is different I suppose! I’m just very indifferent too it personally. But oh well.

That’s a good point Re: Crash. Despite the others being on Switch it is not like Crash 4 is coming (or has been announced) on Switch just yet. So maybe I can hold out a bit of hope down the line for his inclusion one day if the opportunity arose.

I don't care about Minecraft and Steve isn't a character I wanted in, but... look, I know I don't really like Crash and I've said several times I don't want him in, but even all that aside Steve makes more sense than him.

His fighting style seems to bring in the crafting and blocks from Minecraft to alter stages a bit, so it already makes him a unique fighter, which is neat. Microsoft and Nintendo are tight nowadays. And Minecraft is the biggest game in the world, especially for young children.

I'm honestly not sure where people got his confidence Crash would get in for this past year. I always felt like I'd missed something. I don't think the connection between Nintendo and the Crash series is strong enough to make him a shoo-in. Like, the one I see people mention is that it was a PlayStation exclusive, so it would represent Sony and the PlayStation rivalry, but Smash already has multiple former PlayStation exclusive characters. And if they want Sony represented, they'll get actually Sony characters.

Anyway, should've been Agumon. 👍

• Thumbs Up 1

Ok, memes aside. He does look interesting at least. I'm glad they stuck to the stylistic choice of his game. 

3 minutes ago, Son-icka said:

Man, I’ll say it again. Totally should have been Crash Bandicoot. Timing was spot on for it. Such a missed opportunity as ever from the Big N. Nevermind. 

Let's not kid ourselves. Minecraft as the world's highest-selling game period, is no slouch. And as for the supposed timing, we also can't forget that COVID-19 likely delayed any Smash announcements we'll be getting, so going after Nintendo for an alleged missed opportunity wouldn't really be wise all things considered.

Even as someone not interested in Minecraft, I can definitely the appeal and power move at play.

And man, am I glad it's at least not someone has homogeneous as a Fire Emblem character again! Seriously, Byleth is one of the few times where the backlash was arguably warranted.

15 minutes ago, Marcello said:

Like, the one I see people mention is that it was a PlayStation exclusive, so it would represent Sony and the PlayStation rivalry, but Smash already has multiple former PlayStation exclusive characters. And if they want Sony represented, they'll get actually Sony characters.

Joker literally has zero to do with Nintendo outside of one 3DS title, and the Persona series is regularly tied to Sony because all of the main games are exclusive to that platform. 

Cloud also quite famously never even made it onto a Nintendo console for years, because of the controversies that was sparked up during the N64's decision to use cartridges, and yet he also got in. 

Smash has long since stopped being about just whoever has ties to Nintendo, and instead has moved on to be a celebration of gaming in of itself. Even if you don't like the character or franchise, acting like Crash has no place in this series is beyond silly, especially given how much of the 90s was based him directly targeting and picking fights with Nintendo characters. The fact that Crash not only died, and then made a total turnabout comeback in the past five years just goes to show how iconic he is, and how many people love his franchise. 

There's zero reason for him to not be in Smash. Activision regularly releases games on Switch, and N Sane Trilogy/CTR both got ports, and Its About Time will almost definitely be receiving one too. Crash has as much right to be there as Joker, Cloud, or any of the numerous characters who have importance to gaming history.

• Thumbs Up 1

Byleth is one of my favorite characters to play as and the only girl we got in the first Fighters Pass. Fire Emblem character or not, people definitely overreacted (especially since we already knew we were getting 6 more characters after them).

I think the backlash for Steve Minecraft is a little dumb too, considering how massively popular and successful the series is. He wasn't on my wishlist but it was bound to happen eventually! 

• Thumbs Up 3

Just now, Ryannumber1gamer said:

Joker literally has zero to do with Nintendo outside of one 3DS title, and the Persona series is regularly tied to Sony because all of the games are exclusive to that platform. 

Cloud also quite famously never even made it onto a Nintendo console for years, because of the controversies that was sparked up during the N64's decision to use cartridges, and yet he also got in. 

Smash has long since stopped being about just whoever has ties to Nintendo, and instead has moved on to be a celebration of gaming in of itself. Even if you don't like the character or franchise, acting like Crash has no place in this series is beyond silly, especially given how much of the 90s was based him directly targeting and picking fights with Nintendo characters. The fact that Crash not only died, and then made a total turnabout comeback in the past five years just goes to show how iconic he is, and how many people love his franchise. 

There's zero reason for him to not be in Smash. Activision regularly releases games on Switch, and N Sane Trilogy/CTR both got ports, and Its About Time will almost definitely be receiving one too. Crash has as much right to be there as Joker, Cloud, or any of the numerous characters who have importance to gaming history.

My arguments weren't for why I think he shouldn't be in, they were for me to wonder why people think of him as a shoo-in. Please reread my post 😕

Also, that aside, I've stated on multiple occasions that I hate Joker being in. 🤷‍♂️

• Thumbs Up 1

I sincerely love that it looks like they just ported the model and left it at that (in fact I'm curious if that's literally what they did, lmao). I had always assumed if ol Minecraft Steve made it in they'd fancy him up at least a little but no it's just...him. It's beautiful.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, Celestia said:

I sincerely love that it looks like they just ported the model and left it at that (in fact I'm curious if that's literally what they did, lmao). I had always assumed if ol Minecraft Steve made it in they'd fancy him up at least a little but no it's just...him. It's beautiful.

To that end, they even basically just photoshopped him into the group picture.

That was such a bizarre reveal trailer to watch, and Sakurai seemed to agree.  The whole thing looked like somebody's janky meme edit.  Fair play to them for going all-in, though; for something so simple, the amount of effort looks (and, from what Sakurai said, sounds) quite phenomenal.

57 minutes ago, Marcello said:

I don't care about Minecraft and Steve isn't a character I wanted in, but... look, I know I don't really like Crash and I've said several times I don't want him in, but even all that aside Steve makes more sense than him.

I'm honestly not sure where people got his confidence Crash would get in for this past year. I always felt like I'd missed something. I don't think the connection between Nintendo and the Crash series is strong enough to make him a shoo-in. Like, the one I see people mention is that it was a PlayStation exclusive, so it would represent Sony and the PlayStation rivalry, but Smash already has multiple former PlayStation exclusive characters. And if they want Sony represented, they'll get actually Sony characters.

Anyway, should've been Agumon. 👍

For me it’s more just a personal affinity for the character and his recent return to form/comeback over the last few years. It has just lead me to believe that he’d be simply another iconic character to prat about with in the smash madness. I was ecstatic when Sonic got announced in Brawl, so as I’m a platformer nerd my next port of call would be Crash or Spyro. That’s just my personal want though 🙂

I don’t really have an issue with Steve - I just don’t know who he is. Isn’t there like a telltale minecraft story game? Is he from that? I don’t know. Playability wise - he looks to bring some interesting things to the table though, so at least we haven’t got another sword/fighter character. 

But yeah. Agumon FTW!

49 minutes ago, Nina Cortex Jovahexeon said:

Let's not kid ourselves. Minecraft as the world's highest-selling game period, is no slouch. And as for the supposed timing, we also can't forget that COVID-19 likely delayed any Smash announcements we'll be getting, so going after Nintendo for an alleged missed opportunity wouldn't really be wise all things considered.

Even as someone not interested in Minecraft, I can definitely the appeal and power move at play.

And man, am I glad it's at least not someone has homogeneous as a Fire Emblem character again! Seriously, Byleth is one of the few times where the backlash was arguably warranted.

Yup, Cant deny minecrafts popularity’s as a game. So it makes sense in that regard.

I guess I’m just in a salty mood as I had a few false hopes, but as mentioned above I kinda appreciate how it does seem a little daft in retrospect. 

I’ll defo continue to go after the Big N anytime though, they’ve dropped the ball a lot recently (covid or no covid) which has lead to some disappointing releases and choices for smash (and other franchises in general which has disappointed me on a personal level). That’s only because I feel they can do better, so I just have an slightly below average opinion of them at present. 

I really wonder if they'll carry over the Enderman's sounds and all of that. The only alts I can think of with alternative sounds is Bowser Jr for the Koopalings, but on the other hand, the mobs are skins you can use in the regular game too, so it remains to be seen if they'll be treating these as if you're playing the mobs themselves, or if you're playing as Steve dressing up as the mobs.

I could see the stage hazards of the Minecraft stage being all of the random mobs. Endermen shuffling in and teleporting around, throwing blocks, creepers coming in to explode, arrows from Skeletons being fired, etc. I could even see the Enderdragon popping in as one of those gigantic boss enemies that you can attack a few times, and bring to your side. 

1 minute ago, Son-icka said:

I don’t really have an issue with Steve - I just don’t know who he is. Isn’t there like a telltale minecraft story game? Is he from that? I don’t know. Playability wise - he looks to bring some interesting things to the table though, so at least we haven’t got another sword/fighter character. 

There is a Minecraft TTG game, but it stars a different set of characters. Steve and Alex are essentially just your blank slate in-game avatars. 

• Thumbs Up 2

4 minutes ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

The only alts I can think of with alternative sounds is Bowser Jr for the Koopalings

Don't forget the Dragon Quest Heroes, or the Pokemon Trainers.

• Thumbs Up 1

Oh yeah didn't Nintendo do a collab with Minecraft before?

I don't hype these things too much so I'm pretty neutral on this. Sure my initial reaction was surprise, amusement and confusion. And there were other possibly better options. But Minecraft is still very popular & widely known so it makes sense. The whole block placing mechanic looks unique enough to get a spot. I guess it's also because I still see any collab as a generous deal with Nintendo. It's amazing how many different games they managed to include. 

Also also, Sakurai looks so tired lmao I was laughing when he was explaining what he has to deal with behind the scenes, poor guy. 

I was a little miffed at the reveal, specifically at the low budget janky look but I remember being into the idea as a gameplay concept and it looks like they delivered there. I always wanted a character that could modify the battlefield more since they've done just about everything else at this point. 

Seems fun to mess around with. Still not that into Minecraft though. Hoping I get something from a game I actually played soon. Even if it's just one character out of the next 4 I can live with that. 

• Thumbs Up 1

So this means Master Chiefs just getting a mii costume right? Looking forward to that on Saturday (if we get more Microsoft mii outfits) lol

Just now, KHCast said:

So this means Master Chiefs just getting a mii costume right?

Not necessarily. Especially if we end up getting more fighters after this pass too.

9 minutes ago, Nina Cortex Jovahexeon said:

Not necessarily. Especially if we end up getting more fighters after this pass too.

I’m intentionally poking the bear with that statement. Obviously nothing’s official, but I really hope that’s the case and the roles were reversed (since everyone was saying Chief would get in and Steve would be a mii costume)

Don't personally care about Steve still, but I'm impressed with what they did with him and I'm super interested in hearing how they readjusted the stages to account for the block building.

And the reactions have been golden so it was worth waking up for.

Minecraft in Smash has been allegedly in the works for about 3 years 

This would suggest Vergeben was right the whole time about “Minecraft content coming to Smash” 

Khan also vouches this claim and states it was in talks for about that long 

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm a bit curious if this pass is essentially overflow from what they couldn't fit in to pass 1 or even the base game.