Awoo.

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate - DADDY SAKURAI'S WILD RIDE HAS CONCLUDED

Sonictrainer

10 hours ago, DanJ86 said:

Did the Very Hard version feel a little too easy for anyone else? I don't wanna sound like I'm bragging but I beat him on every difficulty on my first try and considering 50 + games I've played of Smash in Game Night and only winning....once if I recall correctly, I expected to be decimated on Very Hard like I was playing Cruel Smash.

Maybe I got lucky? He seemed to be more interested in jumping around on my Very Hard fight.

Nah me and my friends clear it like a couple of minutes after it went up lol. He can be challenging but you only really have to get lucky one time to win. i hope if they do this again they make it even harder. 

15 hours ago, KHCast said:

Is it just Sephiroth, or is it the stage and spirits too?

It seems to be Sephiroth,  the music and the stage.

Though stuff like spirits, mii costumes and Cloud's even numbered costume custom final smash still have yet to come.

Yeah I struggled on normal when I played as Cloud. But when I switched to Very Hard and played as someone I'm better at I won first try in 17 seconds. I'm pretty average at Smash in general skill wise so I found that funny.

On 12/18/2020 at 8:44 AM, Jovahexeon Jax Joranvexeon said:

Here's a better look at the FF Smash spirits that were found so far.

Of course the Aerith one is at a flipping pool.

Given the presence of mii battles, I wouldn't be surprised if Tifa, Barret and Aerith's spirit battles involve the mii costumes. 

Hence why those are coming with the December 22nd update.

Sephiroth really is a powerhouse. I shocked myself by clearing his classic at 9.9. It was a really close battle with the hands too.

I think I've only ever gotten the 9.9 victory two other times. Can't remember who I was playing as at the time, though...

On 12/18/2020 at 2:45 PM, DanJ86 said:

Did the Very Hard version feel a little too easy for anyone else? I don't wanna sound like I'm bragging but I beat him on every difficulty on my first try and considering 50 + games I've played of Smash in Game Night and only winning....once if I recall correctly, I expected to be decimated on Very Hard like I was playing Cruel Smash.

Maybe I got lucky? He seemed to be more interested in jumping around on my Very Hard fight.

I got him on my first try, like sub 2 mins or something with DK. I did have to try kinda hard and almost lost before knocking his 100ish hp down while I was sitting on 20hp. I think it really depends on the AI's mood lol 

Sephiroth's Spirit Board is out now.

I just finished it. I found myself disabling items for a lot of them, making them kinda easy compared to the other Spirit Boards I've done.

Of course, I used Sephiroth for all of them.

Thought I'd list out the references I caught for the spirit battles of the main cast for fun.

Tifa: She can momentarily power up her strength and speed. This is probably a reference to her Unbridled Strength ability in FF7R. You fight her at Reset Bomb Forest which is referencing her hometown, Nibelheim.

Barret:  You fight 3 Miis representing the 3 members of Avalanche before you can fight Barret. 

Aerith: You fight both Cloud and Aerith here at the Fountain of Dreams, a mystical looking stage. It's a reference to her infamous scene in FF7. 

Red XII: Has an ability that can deal damage by dashing into you, which is pretty much what his first limit break in FF7 is. The fight takes place in Gerudo Desert referencing his hometown, Cosmo Canyon. 

Cait Sith: He's got 3 G&W's on his team that only use side B. This is a reference to his limit break where he rolls die to attack. The stage is New Pork City which is referencing where you first meet him in FF7, the Gold Saucer.

Cid: You fight him at the Halberd. This is a reference to his dream of taking a rocket to outer space. He also summons the Jeff assist trophy which shoots rockets at you.

Vincent: You fight him in Luigi's Mansion which is a reference to where you meet him in FF7, the Shinra Mansion. The character you fight him as is Wolf, referencing his limit break where he transforms into a beast.

Yuffie: You fight her at Gaur Plains which is probably a reference to FF7's world map since you can find her randomly at multiple spots on it. The music playing here is Cosmo Canyon. I think the highest chance you have of running into her on the world map is around Cosmo Canyon so it could be a reference to that.

19 minutes ago, Jingilator said:

For Lord Gwyn knows why, I've decided to take it upon myself to write a whole essay for Chosen Undead in Smash.

Dark Souls is a pretty commitment heavy game so I'm not sure why a character from it would have specials like being able to heal 5 times per stock(most smash bros characters have very minor self healing abilities) and teleporting instantly to the stage. Seems a bit excessive. 

A few new tidbits have surfaced regarding Sephiroth's addition to Smash. 

The most interesting new speculation bits are that:

-Sephiroth is an addition that helps brings more villains or "boss" characters. This is likely the reason that Sakurai would've picked him.

-Apparently, Sakurai had thought up the script for Sephiroth's trailer before the 7 Remake had even come out. This suggests that Sephiroth was well in the pipeline,  years in advance. 

• Thumbs Up 4

1 hour ago, Jovahexeon Jax Joranvexeon said:

A few new tidbits have surfaced regarding Sephiroth's addition to Smash. 

The most interesting new speculation bits are that:

-Sephiroth is an addition that helps brings more villains or "boss" characters. This is likely the reason that Sakurai would've picked him.

-Apparently, Sakurai had thought up the script for Sephiroth's trailer before the 7 Remake had even come out. This suggests that Sephiroth was well in the pipeline,  years in advance. 

I mean, c'mon. It's freaking Sephiroth. You think he wouldn't at least be considered?

32 minutes ago, Jingilator said:

I mean, c'mon. It's freaking Sephiroth. You think he wouldn't at least be considered?

Oh trust me, as one of the Sephiroth supporters and the guy who called Sephiroth coming with a Geno costume,  months ago:

I definitely had that idea.

I mention it because it's important to note that he was pretty much a sealed deal ages ago.

• Thumbs Up 1

So is Northern Cave tournament legal? I’ve seen a fuck ton of back and forth in the Smash scene about it. Apparently the biggest arguments against it being tournament legal are the music, and the fact it might cause motion sickness. Also it being a “traveling” stage for some I’ve seen makes it hard to keep track of characters 

9 hours ago, KHCast said:

So is Northern Cave tournament legal? I’ve seen a fuck ton of back and forth in the Smash scene about it. Apparently the biggest arguments against it being tournament legal are the music, and the fact it might cause motion sickness. Also it being a “traveling” stage for some I’ve seen makes it hard to keep track of characters 

It has some real chaotic background events so I do think it not being legal due to distractions is understandable (considering there are no hazards to turn off, it's a shame they didn't make it so hazards off turns off the travelling story elements and just keeps you outside for a fixed scene).

Music though?  I don't really care about legality because I'm a "For Fun" Smash player but this is the first I've heard of it being an issue for tournament legality and I'm curious to know as to why.  Most Smash games only have like 5 tournament legal stages in them so I assume music repetition isn't an issue at all for hardcore players who have put the hours in.  I assume Smash 64 pro-players wouldn't even realise music is playing if you put N64 Dream Land's theme on.

Or is it the case that, with Battlefield, Small Battlefield and Final Destination all allowing free-reign of music, people are starting to not care for franchise'd stages where music variety is now (comparitively) limited?

38 minutes ago, JezMM said:

It has some real chaotic background events so I do think it not being legal due to distractions is understandable (considering there are no hazards to turn off, it's a shame they didn't make it so hazards off turns off the travelling story elements and just keeps you outside for a fixed scene).

Music though?  I don't really care about legality because I'm a "For Fun" Smash player but this is the first I've heard of it being an issue for tournament legality and I'm curious to know as to why.  Most Smash games only have like 5 tournament legal stages in them so I assume music repetition isn't an issue at all for hardcore players who have put the hours in.  I assume Smash 64 pro-players wouldn't even realise music is playing if you put N64 Dream Land's theme on.

Or is it the case that, with Battlefield, Small Battlefield and Final Destination all allowing free-reign of music, people are starting to not care for franchise'd stages where music variety is now (comparitively) limited?

The short version is that some music in the game isn't okay to stream at events like tournaments. Usually third party stuff.

• Thumbs Up 3

On 12/18/2020 at 5:36 AM, Jack out of the comics! said:

Sephiroth looks really awesome, and I like the stage, new music, and challenge twist they added. Plus his Classic Mode is a Boss Rush, so we sort of got a new mode we wanted in. I'm gonna fight him in a few minutes...

By the way...

I know these videos are jokes, but the math worked for Sephiroth, he took Geno's spot, it kinda fits. It's about predicting the chances of most wanted characters

In short: it calculates various data and statistics from the current roster picks, going by male/female representation, created in west/east (for character negotiations), game genre, return/new series, and decade where they are from.

Currently we have in FP Vol. 2:

Min Min - Female | Fighting game | East | 2010s | New series

Steve & Alex - Both | MMORPG | West | 2010s | New series

From after the video released...

Sephiroth - Male | RPG | East | 1990s | Return series

So we can rule out another female only fighter, but not a "both" type, there can be more hopefully,  from the West there aren't many characters, which makes Crash a bit more unlikely, but I still hope he is in. 

There can be maybe 1 more character from a return series, I'm not sure if another Nintendo rep can get in after Min Min, but it's possible.

The key is not math, it's variety, that's how Nintendo picked the fighters. They already did Mario DLC, FE DLC, so those are out, I think. Pokemon is still a possibility, but there aren't any "most wanted" characters in it. Bandana Dee is also possible because it's from a platformer, which isn't represented yet.

A shooter character seems possible... Doomguy? I'm ruling out Halo because Microsoft already got its rep.

Something the video did not account for, is the publisher... we got 1 Nintendo fighter, 1 from Microsoft, 1 from Square Enix, then ???

FP Vol. 1 had Nintendo, SEGA, Square, SNK, and Microsoft.

Square and MS are out. What other characters are very popular from SNK and SEGA? And what about Capcom? Sony?

Currently we have 2 fighters from new series and 1 from return, would make sense to have 2 more new series maybe and 1 returning. One more from west is sketchy but I hope so (Crash).

About SEGA... Arle, Eggman, Shadow, these are not Mii costumes so they aren't 100% ruled out (for now), and a new SEGA character is possible, even more possible from a returning series, Sonic, which is already barely represented, meanwhile Arle is very popular in Japan, so it's possible, although another Jap female character is doubtful after Min Min. So it could be a toss up between the 2 very popular Eggman and Shadow, one could be an upgraded Sonic who is very simple to play as, the other fits in the "shooter" category moveset but also as a platformer genre. Eggman is perfect, the only doubt to me comes from Sephiroth, who is already a villain from a returning 3rd party series. I don't know...

Also, we have yet to have a protagonist in FP2, Min Min is just one of the fighters in Arms, Steve/Alex are the main faces but still not actual protagonists, Sephiroth is a villain, so Crash? It's perfect.

Also Ryu from Ninja Gaiden... idk, he fights with a long sword, and that's exactly what Sephiroth does. Same for Steve, no more swordsmen, which also rules out Lloyd.

Who else can be from an RPG series? Pokemon? Paper Mario... Nope, already represented in DLC. Pokemon is more likely, and SwSh is still recent. But also there are too many cartoony characters this way.

I'm saying...

Dr. Eggman - Male | Platformer | East | 1990s | Return Series (villain, SEGA)

Crash Bandicoot - Male | Platformer | West | 1990s | New series (protagonist, Activision)

(It's also possible Crash/Coco is a "both" gender)

At least one of them could be in.

then there could be, according to variet/stats:

??? - Both | RPG | East | 2000s | New series

So who does fit here?

You know, I really hope Eggman gets in now. It would be really sweet if he is in and he gets revealed in June just in time for Sonic’s 30th anniversary. I really want Crash or Rayman for the new platformer series.

10 minutes ago, Ryannumber1Santa said:

Imagine the absolute uproar if the final DLC character was a Sword/Shield Pokemon

Wouldn't be as bad as a Fire Emblem character.

2 minutes ago, Harkofthewaa said:

It would for me, given I put Pokemon and Fire Emblem on the exact same level of oversaturation in this series.

44 minutes ago, Ryannumber1Santa said:
47 minutes ago, Harkofthewaa said:

It would for me, given I put Pokemon and Fire Emblem on the exact same level of oversaturation in this series.

As controversial as the two series have become in regards to Smash, it's easily Fire Emblem that gets more of the active stink eye.

Pokemon, at least, can give us very unique indivduals of various shapes and sizes.

It doesn't have the major hindrance of Fire Emblem, that being very homogenous characters so similar to each other. Fire Emblem is a series that has a lot of character potential, but will most often be tapered to putting in the main protagonists, which quite often the same going on. Sword and counter, yadda yadda yadda.

It got so bad that Sakurai had to actively try and differentiate Byleth from the rest, knowing the inevitable backlash to come anyway.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Nice Smile 1

1 hour ago, Ryannumber1Santa said:

Except the Pokemon characters all play and look different from one another (save for Pichu who is a clone).

55 minutes ago, Jovahexeon Jax Joranvexeon said:

As controversial as the two series have become in regards to Smash, it's easily Fire Emblem that gets more of the active stink eye.

Pokemon, at least, can give us very unique indivduals of various shapes and sizes.

It doesn't have the major hindrance of Fire Emblem, that being very homogenous characters so similar to each other. Fire Emblem is a series that has a lot of character potential, but will most often be tapered to putting in the main protagonists, which quite often the same going on. Sword and counter, yadda yadda yadda.

It got so bad that Sakurai had to actively try and differentiate Byleth from the rest, knowing the inevitable backlash to come anyway.

I couldn't tell the FE characters apart from each other for at least a year.

2 minutes ago, Angyu said:

Except the Pokemon characters all play and look different from one another (save for Pichu who is a clone).

Saturation and "being clones" are two very different things.

It doesn't matter to me if the Pokemon all play differently, it'd still be a lackluster way to end the DLC to me, especially for a series that as is already has a ton of representation as is. Comparatively speaking, Byleth plays very differently from the other FE characters and she still got insane backlash for what was a disappointing reveal after four very hype reveals.

There are whispers out there that Byleth was basically cobbled together from the remains of a scrapped Monster Hunter character after negotiations fell through.  We'll probably never know for sure, but it would explain a lot about the strangeness of that pick.

As for a Sword/Shield Pokemon, it seems to be widely expected, but nobody can really agree on which Pokemon it would be.  There isn't really an unambiguous breakout character from this generation - though that doesn't really matter, given how Sakurai handled Incineroar.

I also noticed Nintendo has 1 fighter both in FP1 and FP2, plus Piranha Plant as bonus. So maybe no Pokemon? Idk.

If we want to cut it down to 3 characters, I would like 

Eggman or Shadow (villain)

Lloyd  or Ryu Hayabusa (swordsman)

Crash (& Coco) or Rayman (platformer protagonist)

I was also gonna say Monster Hunter, but if the rumors are true, then it's not an option anymore. Sora/Geno of course are out too, so is another microsoft rep.