Awoo.

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate - DADDY SAKURAI'S WILD RIDE HAS CONCLUDED

Sonictrainer

On 1/18/2021 at 11:38 AM, Detective Kaito said:

Yeah I thought about it for a while and it just doesn't sound reasonable to me anymore, I was probably caught up in the Sephiroth hype. lol

Ehhh. Honestly trying to peg a videogame character like Eggman as fully impossible still feels like a fool's errand.

Heck, there isn't no legit reason to believe he'd be added for similar reason to Sephiroth; giving Sonic more representation as well.

People though Sephiroth would be impossible and look what happened.

2 minutes ago, Jovahexeon Jax Joranvexeon said:

Ehhh. Honestly trying to peg a videogame character like Eggman as fully impossible still feels like a fool's errand.

Heck, there is no legit reason to believe he'd be added for similar reason to Sephiroth; giving Sonic more representation as well.

People though Sephiroth would be impossible and look what happened.

I didn't say impossible just kinda unreasonable at this point.

The difference with Sephiroth is that FF7 kinda needed more representation to finally feel like it's a part of Smash, and the only for that to happen was to make another character pack so Square Enix could get paid.

But Sonic technically doesn't need more representation, he has 2 Assist Trophies, 2 Stages (even though they're both the same), over 20 spirits, quite a bit of music tracks (even though there's only one remix), and in Ultimate he got a revamped Final Smash. I wouldn't say he's as well represented as other 3rd parties like Castlevania, Mega Man, and now FF7, but it's serviceable and certainly more than what other 3rd parties got.

I honestly don't care about Sonic getting another rep and I was getting pretty annoyed when I saw Sonic fans using Sephiroth's appearance as evidence they're owed something. I think it'd be cool to get more Sonic but I'm also pretty lukewarm about it because what I personally would've wanted in the playable roster got relegated to assist trophies, and one of them didn't make it even in a game where they rebranded clone characters. I suppose anything else would be fine in the end because of how creative the Smash team is, but if we're just talking personal wishlists here what I want out of Sonic rep doesn't seem to match up with what everyone else seems to so eh.

11 hours ago, Detective Kaito said:

Nobody in Japan cares about Sonic, and the series is considered a joke in the rest of the world because it can't maintain a consistent level of quality, so who would seriously be excited for a series like that outside of the fans?

I don't think any of this actually matters to a character's inclusion, honestly.

• Thumbs Up 3

3 hours ago, Detective Kaito said:

I didn't say impossible just kinda unreasonable at this point.

Ehhhhh.

4 hours ago, Detective Kaito said:

Sorry to burst your bubble guys, but Sonic will never get another rep in Smash, at least not Ultimate.

Kinda did. I get saying it's not likely, but "unreasonable" or "never getting into Ultimate"?

Nah, that's still not a wise thing to assume until the Pass is done for sure.

1 hour ago, Jovahexeon Jax Joranvexeon said:

Ehhhhh.

Kinda did. I get saying it's not likely, but "unreasonable" or "never getting into Ultimate"?

Nah, that's still not a wise thing to assume until the Pass is done for sure.

bruh moment

2 hours ago, Zaysho said:

I don't think any of this actually matters to a character's inclusion, honestly.

Maybe I've finally become so cynical that I think Sonic doesn't deserve more representation in a game like Smash lol

A part of me still finds it a bit lame Proto Man and Shadow got snuffed as echo fighters. Ken and Richter are cool and all, but out of all the third party entries, those two are the ones I would’ve preferred most.

Granted, I don’t think it’s a huge deal because they would’ve only been clone characters at the end of the day, but still.

• Thumbs Up 2

3 hours ago, Jingilator said:

My picks are Shadow, Ashley and Takamaru

Damn, only 3?? Well...

Starfy, Dillon, Takemaru. They're protagonists of series that are underrated or have little representation. I know people would complain about Takemaru being "a swordie", but most swordies are medieval European style, while he's a samurai style. 

7 hours ago, Jingilator said:

I'd probably say Ghirahim just because he's my favorite Zelda villain, Knuckles (or Shadow, but I'm leaning toward Knux just because I think he'd be a really nice complement to Sonic) and maybe Zero or Tiki? I just think Zero is cool and Tiki has a really unique design that I think could be a nice change of pace for FE rep. I only just found out Saki from Sin & Punishment didn't return in Ultimate, otherwise he'd have been my pick for third easily.

I'm probably gonna be the weird guy with my choices.

Rathalos: Ok I love dragons and yeah Charizard and Ridley exist as well as Tiki being a choice but I want a straight up big ol dragon to mess with people. Probably one of the least likely because he's pretty big but I just like being the big boss guy and stomp on everyone. I want to show why Rathalos is King of the Skies!

Alucard: I'm a huge Castlevania fan, probably my favorite franchise represented in Smash even, but I'd like to see more representation despite it being somewhat bloated as is with 2 characters already and a boss. But Alucard is pretty unique for the series because he has multiple weapons, spells, and transformations he could use for battle which makes him pretty versatile compared to the Belmonts. Symphony of the Night is also the most well known and most critically acclaimed game in the series at this point so it would be nice to have some representation from that game. Makes sense after getting Richter.

Yuri Kozukata: Now you're probably thinking "WAT SHE'S NAWT A FITER! SHE CANT FITE!" we had Villager which Sakurai was leery about due to not being a fighter as well as Wii Fit Fighter, ROB, Ice Climbers, etc. which don't have a fighting concept but were made an original moveset based on what Sakurai thought was fitting for the character. Yeah maybe I am missing the point because Yuri is a character from a survival horror series so she's not meant to fight and more run away but she does have some form of self defense due to having a spirit camera. Maybe Sakurai could work an entire mechanic around that alone. This could be his chance to revisit the idea of having Ayumi Tachibana back in Melee who's from a adventure point and click series who has less to work with compared to Yuri.

...I just really like Fatal Frame. I again could be missing the point but yeah I just wanted to pick favorites.

Alucard, Skull Kid, Goroh.

Alucard has an absolutely absurd amount of material to work with, debatably more than literally anyone else in the Assist Trophy cast, and being stuck mostly with Crissaegrim and bat form kinda feels like a stroke of laziness if I'm being honest. His command inputs make Terry's look like fucking Candy Crush sometimes though, so I'd hope they would avoid that completely this time around.

The Fire Stingray was pretty much the iconic craft of the original F-Zero, and I feel like if anyone deserves to be a second rep of the series it's Samurai Goroh. I personally see him sorta like a swordsman equivalent of Bowser, and I feel like you could balance out having raw speed, weight and range with slower turning and having a lot more follow through on his movies, though if it's anything like his current AT realistically he'll probably err someone closer to the Metaknight side of things instead with somewhat shorter flurries and shit. I'd take either over fucking Black Shadow, honestly.

Skull Kid's kinda just a personal bias pick that I don't really have a whole lot of rationale for. I just think a moveset themed around deadly pranks would be neat, and I like the thought of being able to inject unexpected chaos into a fight like his AT does, sorta like being a Clefairy/Togepi Metronome on command? I like the interface screw stuff, too - being able to turn the enemy invisible and make them lose track of where they are onscreen is a really terrifying thought, and I honestly can't think of any other Smash candidate that could inspire stuff like that. Gimmie.

My choices would be Knuckles, Zero and Shovel Knight. I think Knuckles could be a super cool brawler addition to the roster, and would be a good bit different from Sonic compared to Shadow, who if he was made a full fighter, I imagine he’d have a mix of Sonic’s attacks, plus chaos attacks.

I’d see a lot of places you could pull attacks together for Knuckles, give him his three hit combo and uppercut from Adventure, let him burrow into the ground and pop out for an attack. If he’s in the air, he could do that spinning dive attack from SA2 that digs underground when he lands. Give him Hyper Knuckles or something as the final smash. Hell, instead of jumps, I think it’d be neat if he could only do a single jump, but had his glide in tact. Even pull a Sephiroth and let him attach and climb the stage walls.

Zero - I think X!Zero alone would have a lot of cool shit to pull from X4. Bring in his different sword techniques plus the Zero Buster as a weaker projectile weapon. Add in some of the elemental attacks from Zero 1-4, give him both the X series and Zero series designs, and use his Awakened Zero form as the Final Smash. You could even hypothetically add Omega in too as an alternative colour scheme for Zero!Zero. 

Shovel Knight would be great as an indie representative. Shovel Knight in my eyes is a great showcase of crowd funding and indie development, and how far the love, care and attention you put into a game such as this can make a huge success, and if any indie character got in, I’d say he more than deserves it. Between his shovel and his bouncing attack, plus throwing in the various magical tools at Shovel Knight’s disposal, there’s more than enough to work with there. His Final Smash could be akin to Mega Man or Hero where they teleport opponents to different locations to get dog piled. Have Shield Knight and the other Knights jump in to help attack.

Runner up pick was Bomberman, I would’ve absolutely included him but since he got the premium Mii costume, his chances seem lower than others to me.

16 hours ago, Jingilator said:

Isaac, Waluigi and Dillon, with Takamaru being very close to replace one of them.

20 hours ago, Jingilator said:

Waluigi is the first choice obviously, followed by Shadow and then Skull Kid. 

15 hours ago, Zaysho said:

I only just found out Saki from Sin & Punishment didn't return in Ultimate, otherwise he'd have been my pick for third easily.

My pick for a past Assist Trophy that no longer exists in Ultimate would be: Kururin from Kuru Kuru Kururin. Technically, it was his Helirin that was the Assist Trophy, but he had to be piloting it. It's also a Spirit in Ultimate. His series was abandoned but it's a first party Nintendo series and some representation would be nice. And before anyone complains about his moveset due to him being confined to a vehicle for his entire games... go ask Captain Falcon or Star Fox about that. (When Smash 64 came out, Dinosaur Planet was still its own game unrelated to Fox; so he didn't have his own out-of-vehicle segments at all).

Also... maybe Excitebiker. Using the same logic as above.

Also Jill from Drill Dozer.

13 hours ago, Crow the BOOLET said:

Yuri Kozukata: Now you're probably thinking "WAT SHE'S NAWT A FITER! SHE CANT FITE!" we had Villager which Sakurai was leery about due to not being a fighter as well as Wii Fit Fighter, ROB, Ice Climbers, etc. which don't have a fighting concept but were made an original moveset based on what Sakurai thought was fitting for the character. Yeah maybe I am missing the point because Yuri is a character from a survival horror series so she's not meant to fight and more run away but she does have some form of self defense due to having a spirit camera. Maybe Sakurai could work an entire mechanic around that alone. This could be his chance to revisit the idea of having Ayumi Tachibana back in Melee who's from a adventure point and click series who has less to work with compared to Yuri.

...I just really like Fatal Frame. I again could be missing the point but yeah I just wanted to pick favorites.

Tbh Yuri would be awesome as a fighter. We need more unique fighters like that.

38 minutes ago, Jingilator said:

So, what are your predictions for Vol. 2 at this point? Personally, all I can safely assume at this point is Cash Banooca.

Honestly, anything short of a straight on bullet proof leak is not a safe assumption by any stretch as far as I'm concerned at this stage of the game.

Except for a Pokemon Gen 8 rep.

• Thumbs Up 2

So far, any attempt to predict who could possibly come up in a future Fighter's Pass slot has proven essentially impossible, with no consistent pattern or set of rules being followed.  This may have much to do with the real-term practicalities of licensing negotiations and fees, or it may simply be that we're poor at judging Nintendo and Sakurai's priorities - probably a bit of both, to be honest.  Attempting to assign probability to various characters in a vacuum I think has more potential, though, and in that respect I would say Crash has a reasonably good chance, though probably being a western-led franchise is a point against him (albeit not a decisive one).  None of that really has anything to do with whether he'll actually show up, though!  There are only three slots left, and countless reasonable candidates.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm not really on board with the idea that an unrelated third party character could have identical moves with first party character, as evident with his Up Special being B. Jr's and his Final Smash being Bowser's, but the whole D. Va angle to him's pretty nice and mostly nullifies the former. I also don't think it make sense to have the M.E. in his possession at all times yet only use it for one specific move; I think that would be better saved for the Death Egg Robot. Then again, that would just end up being another Lucario, Mii Gunner, the Samuses etc. They'd likely make it a cinematic finisher anyway.

Also, it would be an extreme disservice if Mechless Eggman can't do this:

8694338_orig.gif

• Chuckle 1

6 minutes ago, Supah Berry said:

Also, it would be an extreme disservice if Mechless Eggman can't do this:

8694338_orig.gif

Or better yet; have it be his results screen animation for when he loses a match.

On a similar note:

• Thumbs Up 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/28/2021 at 3:03 PM, Angyu said:

Not a fan of the gimmick... I wish every character didn't need a gimmick now.

Smash characters have kinda always had gimmicks, it's just now all the basic gimmicks have been used so they've been getting wilder and wilder. 

• Thumbs Up 4