Awoo.

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate - DADDY SAKURAI'S WILD RIDE HAS CONCLUDED

Sonictrainer

I'm gunna weigh in here and strongly argue that in the context of the Xenoblade 2 universe we actually have a playable sword/blade with 2 alternating anime girls attached.

So, we don't actually have a sword character, but a sword character. =P

• Chuckle 4
  • Way Past Cool 1
  • Absolutely 2

When it comes to my preferences I'm just not into anime-ish games. Xenoblade, Fire Emblem, Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest. (Except maybe Kingdom  Hearts)

On the "I don't think this character deserves to get in", I feel like those DLC spots should go to big 3rd party reps. Crash, Rayman, Witcher would be great. DMC, Doom or Tekken are franchise that I don't want, but I would respect the fact that they deserve  the spot.

8 hours ago, Salamander said:

Pyra/Mythra's intro trailer really led me around by the nose.  The instant it opened I assumed it would be Smash, but then it started to look as if it had an actual plotline, and I was considering that it might be more Xenoblade 2 DLC, or even Xenoblade 2-2 or something silly like that... but then, no, it was Smash after all!  I find it hard to be too annoyed, given that Sakurai has openly stated in the past that he wanted Rex and Pyra in the game; difficult to object to the man doing what he wants.

There are so, so many things about that trailer that got me. All my friends knew just ahead of me because I wasn't home and were waiting for me to lose my fucking mind because they knew I would.

I totally expected an epilogue chapter as well but something about it didn't add up at all as I was watching and it didn't really occur to me how little sense it made when I realized two things: 1) Rex went to the Ancient Vessel and 2) Rex still has the core crystal. It didn't fully set in until I saw that Pyra, from the back, wasn't at all rendered in the cel-shaded style (I didn't even notice they were standing on Final Destination lol). I was in such disbelief because I straight up gave up on getting any more Xenoblade rep in this game so hearing Skye Bennet's coy response had me over the moon.

Honestly, I can't think of a character I'm happier to see than these two with Banjo being just a bit behind.

I also initially wanted Rex with the girls (and other Blades) switching in but the solution they gave works so well and I'm even more excited to play with them. I don't even really play Smash seriously, let alone have Online, so while this isn't going to encourage me to do more than give me something to tool around with, it actually makes me want to play at all. I thought Sephiroth was awesome despite not wanting him, and honestly most of the reveals have been hits instead of misses to me (I really only didn't like Joker and Byleth but I'm kinda whatever about them).

Just give me this track from Torna and I'm all set

• Thumbs Up 6

9 hours ago, Jovahexeon Jax Joranvexeon said:

Kind of a shame that Rex didn't get to show up in the banner alongside Pyra and Mythra like Morgana does.

tumblr_pkkddgX7Eu1qjoles_smart1.jpg

Morgana and Sakurai hugged and that's how he got in the banner and Jokers Taunt.

But also

Spoiler

nt9honw25w621.png?width=960&crop=smart&a

• Thumbs Up 3

On 2/17/2021 at 6:30 PM, Ryannumber1gamer said:

I think what's most depressing is the ever-lingering idea that one of the very last two character slots is gonna be a Sword and Shield Pokemon.

Unpopular opinion: I'd enjoy that. (Don't kill me please.)

And I didn't even get into Sw/Sh but new Pokemon almost always bring something unique to the table.

Well... half the time. Lucario was just a gimmick Mewtwo, Incineroar just another brawler but with fire, and Pichu is a self-hurting clone.

A character's uniqueness is the most important thing to me, and the Pokes usually deliver.

On 2/17/2021 at 7:27 PM, Winston said:

I think like only eight characters in the entire series use guns, or lasers. There are like fourteen that use swords. I guess you've got me there with fist fighters, there are plenty of them in the series, and many of them can be combined with the gun/laser using characters. I personally don't really enjoy sword users because I'm bored of them to be frank, and I personally feel their moveset potential just isn't as interesting as characters that use other means of attack. I'll give Byleth credit for trying to diversify the moveset. And no, I obviously did not say Steve was a swordfighter. I was just listing him as a way to diversify the release order, putting a character without a sword between characters with swords.

So the only 3 types of weapons are fists, swords, or gun/lasers? Nah think outside the Mii Fighter box! Most characters are honestly none of those at all. Could have someone with magic/psychic like Ness or Zelda. Or other types of weapons like Sheik.

On 2/17/2021 at 8:47 PM, Ryannumber1gamer said:

Visual Novels are completely unrepresented in Smash's roster

Well, what else did they announce in that Direct?...

I mean, I highly doubt they'd shoehorn in a rep from a series that consists of only 2 games, from the Famicom era, that are just now getting a worldwide release in remake form. But considering Sakurai considered Ayumi for earlier games... it's just a thought. If they knew about these remakes early on, they could have planned her inclusion to coincide with the remake's release, and introduce people to the franchise if they plan on bringing it back like they did with Kid Icarus or Punch Out. (I'm still waiting for an Ice Climber series comeback. Maybe one day.)

Though not only would this piss off almost everybody for taking up a DLC slot, but what would she even do? Not much to work with for a moveset, it seems. Also "eww anime" but not a swordfighter so meh. Again I doubt this'll happen but when I saw that remake announced, it made me think.

On 2/18/2021 at 7:11 AM, Tracker_TD said:

Ironically I've kind of lost hope for Arle at this point lol. But all I really want is another slightly deeper-cut character, something like Terry again. A Treasure rep would be neat, perhaps. But at this point I'm along for the ride. 

Terry's inclusion was not exactly met with a warm response, though.

23 hours ago, Zaysho said:

Just give me this track from Torna and I'm all set

First time hearing that song but damn they better include that!

6 minutes ago, Angyu said:

Terry's inclusion was not exactly met with a warm response, though.

You're right, it wasn't.

It was that day in fact, that I learned some people are very, very dense. 

13 minutes ago, Angyu said:
On 2/17/2021 at 8:47 PM, Ryannumber1gamer said:

Visual Novels are completely unrepresented in Smash's roster

Well, what else did they announce in that Direct?...

I mean, I highly doubt they'd shoehorn in a rep from a series that consists of only 2 games, from the Famicom era, that are just now getting a worldwide release in remake form.

While I don't agree with a lot of what he's said regarding the latest Smash addition, Ryan's point here was in favor of Phoenix Wright. Not Ayumi.

And frankly, Phoenix Wright has quite more to his name world wide,  so I don't quite see your point.

12 minutes ago, Jovahexeon Jax Joranvexeon said:

While I don't agree with a lot of what he's said regarding the latest Smash addition, Ryan's point here was in favor of Phoenix Wright. Not Ayumi.

And frankly, Phoenix Wright has quite more to his name world wide,  so I don't quite see your point.

Yes, I'm aware of that. I read his post.

But he mentioned visual novels so I figured I'd just add my thoughts. Especially since FDC is a first party license. Though that doesn't necessarily mean anything.

Just watched Dunkey’s video on the Nintendo direct...Damn he is NOT happy about Pyra lol. Idk if that was a bit, but usually I can find dunkeys views pretty reasonable, but the way he came off throughout that whole vid, especially with Pyra getting added to Smash was just...I guess a bit entitled?

• Thumbs Up 3

True. I guess I was just caught off guard cause I never saw him get annoyed to this degree with characters like Joker, Hero, or Sephiroth, but then again, he has vocally said he liked the games those characters came from, so maybe he was giving them a pass lol

• Thumbs Up 1

I don't think it means much but I was kinda hoping the whole eeww anime routine would blow over quick so I was a little bummed out. 

• Thumbs Up 3

It's not much of a surprise about Dunkey not liking it. Not only does he dislike JRPGs and anime tropes to begin with, but he takes the piss out of Pyra's design within the first minute of the video on Xenoblade 2.

While I for one have stopped caring about who'll get announced anymore, I been thinking about when the last fighter will. Frankly, no matter who it's gonna be, I've started feeling bad about it, and the developers who're working on it. The final outcome is destined to cause dissapointment in some capacity, if only if because it's has the "honor" of being "the last slot". Maybe if the next fighter before it gets a better reponse I won't feel as bad, but I'm concerned for now. I didn't feel this way back with Bayonetta, cause knowing she won the ballot made her inclusion "fair-and-square" in my eyes, and no such fan ballot exists this time AFAIK.

People will take for granted they're "saving the best for last" and expect a big new IP, only for it to be Pokemon, a swordsman, an anime human, an addon to a prexisting IP, etc. And even it isn't any of that, there'll still be  for the one franchise fanbase that gets thrown a bone, ten more fanbases are inevitably left in dust. Cause after that, it's over. Their "boy" has no chance to get in now, and then comes the finger pointing on who "rigged" the ballot and how whoever robbed them of a "totally deserved" character. Any character could have most logical, intresting reasoning on why they should get a spot, but Nintendo will still say "sorry, we're picking someone else".

Then I think back to what Sakurai and company are going through. He likely knew the mixed reception Pyra and Mytrha were gonna get, the price he's gotta pay for making something he'd wanna make over something they would want, despite maybe not being nearly as aquainted to something like Crash or Doom for instance.

I'd dread the moment it was time to announce the last fighter if I were him, especally if it ain't what people would expect for the last one ever. He might've just ignored the complaints and not let'em get to him, but what about the fighter programmers? All the struggling through the years to get each elaboratly made character to work the way they should, and to see some people just slap their effort aside because it's not who they wanted must sting for at least one of them.

With Sakurai saying this is gonna be the last DLC, where does everyone go after it's over? I admit its sad to have no more support for Ultimate, especally if the characters you'd want will never get fight with Mario, Sonic and other big icons, but I'll suck it up and just move on. It's been fun, but it's the staff deserve a pat on the back for all they've done, and maybe find something less stress enducing to work on. But maybe Nintendo will make the call for more fighters. Sure, they'd be glad to oblige and it's nothing they wouldn't handle, but it's still another long cycle of making fighters and getting fan fuss in return, all until they cater to each and every one of the most highly requested fighter's fans.

Of course there's always just waiting till the next Smash; every new console means a new Smash bros. But why make a new one when they can just take Ultimate's and keep bulding from there? Well there are those who don't want new fighters or a big roster and instead want them to remake the older characters to be less outdated, more balanced, feel less like echo fighters even when they're not, and have more game-references in their moves. (Sigh..., so much debating) I know to get all of that would be take forever anyway, but if all Smash is ever going to become is the game where every video game character that matters has to be in it, I won't blame Sakurai if he wants it all to stop after Ultimate.

Maybe if he gave a speech at the end saying "we still care for all of you" that'd make me feel better.

• Thumbs Up 2

Honestly, yeah the base roster was already pretty banger, so everything dlc related has just been a bonus on top. None of the picks have honestly really annoyed/bothered me save for maybe Byleth, since I go into this knowing they’ll always be someone pleased or displeased with whoever Sakurai/Nintendo picks, so I feel like I have no right to get salty. I got my speculations and personal guesses and wants sure, and may engage in all that, and yeah, some choices may feel underwhelming to me, but end of the day, whoever gets in gets in, and as long as they’re  fun, it won’t be the end of the world for me 

• Thumbs Up 2

If Minecraft Steve was last person to be revealed then no one.... ok fine, :"not that many people" would complain,

To be fair they slowly running out of THE hottest IPs. I doubt they can get anything from Valve or Sony, and i don't even know how Overwatch or Halo character would work in Smash.

• Thumbs Up 1

I am curious as to how they're going to cap this off.  Part of me thinks it should be somebody completely bizarre and off-the-wall.  Just something to exude that sense of "relax, it's just a game, it's just for fun", and puncture the hostile discourse.

• Thumbs Up 1

10 hours ago, Salamander said:

I am curious as to how they're going to cap this off.  Part of me thinks it should be somebody completely bizarre and off-the-wall.  Just something to exude that sense of "relax, it's just a game, it's just for fun", and puncture the hostile discourse.

Piranha Plant would've been the perfect cap off in that event

10 minutes ago, Supah Berry said:

Piranha Plant would've been the perfect cap off in that event

Not really. Because that's something people would've been paying for. Definitely wouldn't have sat as right with them as Pirhana Plant, who initially came free.

• Thumbs Up 1

Considering the backlash Byleth received as the final fighter of FP1, and even the fact that Sakurai had to temper expectations at the start and had to announce FP2 at the end, I doubt Nintendo and/or Sakurai would be nuts enough to pick an intentionally underwhelming character as the finale of FP2.

Even Smash 4 was wise enough not to do that, making the final fighter a fan-voted decision via the Smash ballet. I don't think it's entirely outside the realm of possibility, but I have my doubts.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 2/20/2021 at 1:00 PM, Ryannumber1gamer said:

Considering the backlash Byleth received as the final fighter of FP1, and even the fact that Sakurai had to temper expectations at the start and had to announce FP2 at the end, I doubt Nintendo and/or Sakurai would be nuts enough to pick an intentionally underwhelming character as the finale of FP2.

Even Smash 4 was wise enough not to do that, making the final fighter a fan-voted decision via the Smash ballet. I don't think it's entirely outside the realm of possibility, but I have my doubts.

Speaking of, who are you hoping are the last 2 fighters?

For me, it's any two of:

• Crash Bandicoot
  • Bandana Dee
  • Sora
  • Dr. Eggman

5 minutes ago, Jingilator said:

Speaking of, who are you hoping are the last 2 fighters?

For me, it's any two of:

• Crash Bandicoot
  • Bandana Dee
  • Sora
  • Dr. Eggman

At this point, I don't have many hopes left because it just feels like it leads to inevitable disappointment. Crash has regularly been hitting the top of the polls for requested characters and it's getting close to the wire, and it still looks like it's up in the air if he'll get in or not.

Crash and Sora are the only ones I want in that's left, and for Sora, it's just because KH is one of my all time favourite franchises, and it's such a pipe-dream. Eggman, I could take or leave.

• Thumbs Up 2

I've noticed a lot of people clamoring around popular picks and it's starting to get to a point where when they don't get in, people think that they are "dicked" over, mainly by Nintendo.

Crash Bandicoot is a particular example that people should be more wary of the company he's owned by than Nintendo themselves.

Let's not forget that the main reason he didn't get added to the very lackluster title that is PSBAR is because Activision were charging through the nose for him to be added. Mind you, this was back when they were doing NOTHING with him.

Nowadays one might think that Crash is a shoe-in for Ultimate. But, one should also remember that Activision still own him. And if they charged a lot for him back then, just imagine what they must be charging for him now that he's a thing again.

If the price was needlessly huge, that is something to watch out for as well.

Not saying he's impossible, but like many other companies, we have to consider all the factors at play and not resort to just thinking they're just being screwed over for other characters.

On 2/20/2021 at 4:00 PM, Ryannumber1gamer said:

Unless they announce a third fighter's pass. That would provide enough of a safety net. Sort of like with Byleth.