Awoo.

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate - DADDY SAKURAI'S WILD RIDE HAS CONCLUDED

Sonictrainer

2 hours ago, Jovahexeon Jax Joranvexeon said:

I've noticed a lot of people clamoring around popular picks and it's starting to get to a point where when they don't get in, people think that they are "dicked" over, mainly by Nintendo.

That's because they're married to random 4chan leaks that get signal boosted by YouTubers with no personality and can't make any content that isn't covering Nintendo rumors.

Don't worry, guys. Hayabusa is definitely next. We've only been wrong six times already! Oh wait, no, changed over to Crash. No wait, it's Eggman. It has to be because we said DLC characters are only picked to coincide with releases/special franchise events even though that wasn't true for the majority of featured characters in either Smash 4 or Ultimate. /s

• Thumbs Up 6
  • Chuckle 1
  • Absolutely 1

14 minutes ago, Jovahexeon Jax Joranvexeon said:

Unless they announce a third fighter's pass. That would provide enough of a safety net. Sort of like with Byleth.

No, it was confirmed months ago by Sakurai in a Famitsu article that Fighter Pass 2 is the end of the DLC developmental period, and marks the end of Ultimate as a project. Once the last two characters are announced, Ultimate's developmental cycle is at an end.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2020-02-19-super-smash-bros-ultimates-second-fighter-pass-is-its-last

The game will end with 88 characters in total, including echos (89 if we count Mythra as her own character).

• Thumbs Up 1

12 minutes ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

No, it was confirmed months ago by Sakurai in a Famitsu article that Fighter Pass 2 is the end of the DLC developmental period, and marks the end of Ultimate as a project

As far as we know. I won't be surprised if it turns out we will still get fighters after this pass.

8 minutes ago, Jovahexeon Jax Joranvexeon said:

As far as we know. I won't be surprised if it turns out we will still get fighters after this pass.

If we do, it'd be in a hypothetical Ultimate re-release, assuming this truly is the last game in the series.

Personally I just have list of things I DON'T want
- No Nintendo character (DLC should be for something a bit bigger than Waddle Dee. And I want know Nintedo worked to get that character, so paying extra is justifiable.)
- No JRPGS (which is mostly my own bias, but we had quite a few in both passes)
- No extra reps for franchises that already have reps (again, DLC should be for exiting new things)
-No sword people (I'm not that passionate about this one, but it is still getting still)

And yes, that means that Pyrra was quite unfortunate pick for me (or heck, most of 2nd pass); Either way, if thing will go south I don't plan to burn anything, just grumble passive-aggressively under nose.

(Side note, I am a massive hypocrite, and If Shadow, Waluigi, Sora or Witcher were announced, I would be happy)

• Thumbs Up 2

I'm hoping for at least one more Western representative as a fighter. Yeah, I know it's a Japanese game, but there's only been like five in the whole series and two of them come from the DLC in this game. It'd be neat to see characters like Crash Bandicoot, DOOM Guy, Rayman, or even Heavy Weapons Guy get in. I guess I'd rather have it be more of a mascot platformer character than anything, so I'll be happy with characters like Klonoa too. 

For me I see it as long as there are no more Mario, Pokemon or Fire Emblem characters I'd be good with just about anything (well except Fortnite, please no Fortnite for the love of god) because I know Sakurai will make it cool.

Though I'm personally a bit biased because Pyra & Mythra were my number 1 characters plus I wanted more female rep in Smash so the pass is already worth it for me

If I'm honest, I'm against any more DLC passes just because I want the devs to move on lol

They've been at it for over four years since they probably had to jump straight from Smash 4 to Smult after Corrin was released. It's time to give them a break and let this game run its course for the rest of the gen. Of course, I got my literal Holy Grail character so it's hard for me to complain if the train stops with this pass too. I would've been happy if it ended on pass 1 as well, honestly. I wouldn't have gotten exactly what I wanted but even then it'd been hard to complain.

It'd probably be a licensing nightmare, but I kinda just want Smult to be ported over to the next successive gen and then get new content and improvements (especially online) added then. I don't know if that's feasible but it's something I'd like to see because the game's had something for everyone both in base and in DLC that I can't see anyone being ready to let go of it with the next entry. It can really only get better down the line.

• Thumbs Up 5

I wanted them to move on after the first pass. I got a little wary at the idea of them doing more. A third pass would be pretty upsetting. Sakurai doesn't have much more time left to make games and I'd hate for it all to go to Smash Bros.

The roster felt complete long before Ultimate was even a thing. The fans just kept nitpicking and convincing themselves something was missing. Every time a long requested character got in they just moved to the next in line. Every time a character got reworked fans asked about some other character. The only way to complete Smash Bros is to stop working on it. 

• Thumbs Up 1

22 minutes ago, Wraith said:

Sakurai doesn't have much more time left to make games

Wait, what???

23 minutes ago, Wraith said:

The roster felt complete long before Ultimate was even a thing

That is a funny thing to consider. I mean, I kinda think that if Brawl had Ridley (and maybe K Rool) instead of allowing 3rd party immigrants, then it would be finished. But "finished" is word open to interpretation.

Keep in mind that Smash Melee added (ignoring all the clones) 2 weirdly out of place anime sword guys, Ice Climbers that had single 8-bit game and Game and Watch that they found in deepest depths of the past, mascot of console no one remembers anymore.

If you didn't knew the truth, doesn't that sounds like like scraping bottom of the barrel of ideas?

2 minutes ago, Jovahexeon Jax Joranvexeon said:

Wait, what???

He's 50. He's not gonna be able to keep doing this forever. 

38 minutes ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

That is a funny thing to consider. I mean, I kinda think that if Brawl had Ridley (and maybe K Rool) instead of allowing 3rd party immigrants, then it would be finished. But "finished" is word open to interpretation.

Keep in mind that Smash Melee added (ignoring all the clones) 2 weirdly out of place anime sword guys, Ice Climbers that had single 8-bit game and Game and Watch that they found in deepest depths of the past, mascot of console no one remembers anymore.

If you didn't knew the truth, doesn't that sounds like like scraping bottom of the barrel of ideas?

Ice Climbers were new to me in Melee but they made sense as a surprise throwback to the NES games (also to show off the idea of bringing such an ancient character to the modern day without any inbetween representations to draw from), and Mr. Game & Watch made perfect sense as a late game unlockable who thankfully was in the consiouness of players still thanks to the G&W Gallery games on Game Boy.

Marth was also a completely sensible addition from the Japanese perspective, Roy is pretty much the only Melee addition who was a weird product of the time that would never get in nowadays... Well, aside from Pichu I guess, same case.  But there are all sorts of Smash characters, stages and music like that anyway.

• Thumbs Up 4

I always feel like the weird one out in Smash Ultimate discussions with the fixation of the DLC fighters, because I honestly only want Smult's custom stage editor to be expanded on/include past editor features and objects (and a working camera so it's freer movement like past cameras; it's more beneficial for Machinimas), and more customization for Mii fighters.

1 hour ago, Wraith said:

He's 50. He's not gonna be able to keep doing this forever. 

Oh? Well, okay. You had me worried there that he might be on a terminal illness or something.

• Thumbs Up 1

Well, iir he does have that calcific tendinits on one shoulder, sadly, but i don't think it's an imminent death condition.

1 hour ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

Smash Bros. is a series that has literally been credited by some people for even introducing them to new games and characters they wouldn't have known about before. Shining a light on niche Nintendo properties and parts of its history, especially with playable characters, is not "scraping the bottom of the barrel."

• Thumbs Up 8

8 hours ago, Zaysho said:

That's because they're married to random 4chan leaks that get signal boosted by YouTubers with no personality and can't make any content that isn't covering Nintendo rumors.

Don't worry, guys. Hayabusa is definitely next. We've only been wrong six times already! Oh wait, no, changed over to Crash. No wait, it's Eggman. It has to be because we said DLC characters are only picked to coincide with releases/special franchise events even though that wasn't true for the majority of featured characters in either Smash 4 or Ultimate. /s

The only speculation channel I can really be fine with is Papageno’s, mostly because he’s able to keep expectations tempered, and isn’t going the LaxChris route of just covering daily every 4chan leak, and when he does cover one of those, he usually puts massive red flags on it, even if said 4chan post has been right on a number of things. I’d say he’s probably the most reasonable of the bunch. Helps that, iirc, he isn’t monetizing this stuff and pandering for views. Helps that he also branches out to other things as well, like general news, let’s plays, etc 

I don't really get why people even bother with the speculation community/ "leakers" Everyone was been way off for every single character this season, which to me is proof that no one outside of castle nintendo in kyoto japan knows anything. 

Honestly reading about all the "rules" and "expectations" gives me a headache. Speculating can be fun sometimes but the smash stuff seems to have turned weirdly cultish. 

• Thumbs Up 5
  • Absolutely 1

31 minutes ago, Remy said:

Honestly reading about all the "rules" and "expectations" gives me a headache. Speculating can be fun sometimes but the smash stuff seems to have turned weirdly cultish. 

My only issue with speculation is when people get to the point where they think a character got legit screwed over by another. To the point where they'll lambaste the character to no end.

That, and when a pick gets so popular, people think that character is suddenly a shoe-in and get mad when they don't get in.

I'd love for Crash to get in, but man, does it get embarrassing when I hear stuff like him apparently getting "dicked over". He's not an obligated character by any means. Hell, even my most-wanted character: Phoenix Wright isn't obligated. I'll fight for him, but not to the point where I'll get depressed or lambaste a character strictly because the lawyer didn't get in.

Especially if it's a chance for a new budding franchise to get more recognition thanks to Smash.

• Thumbs Up 4

7 hours ago, Wraith said:

The roster felt complete long before Ultimate was even a thing.

It can never be complete, as long as new franchises are being made. You can say it felt complete in base game Sm4sh, because Splatoon didn't even exist at that point. Link didn't need his BotW bombs, Mario his wedding outfit or Cappy taunt,... same reasons.

6 hours ago, JezMM said:

Mr. Game & Watch made perfect sense as a late game unlockable who thankfully was in the consiouness of players still thanks to the G&W Gallery games on Game Boy.

Marth was also a completely sensible addition from the Japanese perspective, Roy is pretty much the only Melee addition who was a weird product of the time that would never get in nowadays... Well, aside from Pichu I guess, same case.  But there are all sorts of Smash characters, stages and music like that anyway.

Everyone forgets about the G&W Gallery games or doesn't even know about them. I had them before Melee even came out, and when I saw G&W in Melee I got so hyped! I could point where at least half his moveset came from lol I must have been one of the only people who had that reaction.

Also, you say Pichu seems odd, but then we have Dark Pit and Dark Samus...

@Remy It’s just fun to discuss in moderation to pass time. People definitely take it way too far tho and ruin it often, and it definitely does get to a point that tires me out most of the time and even annoys me since it often just feeds into hype culture. An occasional interesting “leak/rumor” is fine, especially when bigger journalists can support it, but over analyzing a Sakurai Smash image, after he’s said there’s nothing to analyze to justify some popular wanted character being “guaranteed”, nah you’ve ruined it 

7 minutes ago, Angyu said:

Also, you say Pichu seems odd, but then we have Dark Pit and Dark Samus...

Neither of those characters are odd in Concept

Pichu was only added because baby version

• Thumbs Up 1

I don't find speculation fun at all since there's nothing to speculate on. Nintendo is air tight and have thrown every insider off the trail at this point so it's basically white noise between content drops. Even back when leaks were more prominent it was rare for the endless discussion beforehand to actually go anywhere or land on who the next character ended up being. It's mostly people leaning way too hard into their own biases or making embarrassingly ignorant claims about games they never played.  It's weird that people have gotten to the point of discussing the hype cycle over the game itself. I like Smash Bros trailers as much as the next guy but I don't find commercials and marketing strategy all that interesting to discuss day in and day out.

• Thumbs Up 1

Idk it just seems inevitable to happen when that’s kinda the point of advertising these as a mystery future fighters. “Wonder who this mystery fighter could be, exciting!”

Like, you’d be kidding yourself if you think that wasn’t what Nintendo was hoping for by doing it. Tons of speculation, and videos, and buzz, and hype surrounding their product. Even if it gets out of hand. Disney certainly banks on it with Marvel. They certainly could have just said the characters and kept how they’d look and play a mystery, I think most of us at this point wish they did, but that wouldn’t generate nearly as much audience retention now would it for these cynical higher ups

Anyway, as long as it’s being kept in moderation, to me, I don’t personally find it a big deal for people to publicize their guesses online as long as it’s not being used to gatekeep shit or put down other people’s ideas. But yes, it certainly gets cringe. A lot. Especially when there are so fucking many of these fake leaks desperately trying to get their 5 seconds of fame. Or how one of the pics of the day is definitely a hint because Mewtwo’s tail is upside down

• Thumbs Up 2