Awoo.

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate - DADDY SAKURAI'S WILD RIDE HAS CONCLUDED

Sonictrainer

Presentation was a little early this time so here's the vod for those who missed it. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Loving the Alts. although I still wish THOSE costumes were in, but I understand why not 😏

But at least Monster Hunter Mii costumes downgrades the percentages of that being an announced fighter. 

• Thumbs Up 1

@KHCast Well, he's not wrong.

10 minutes ago, Son-icka said:

Loving the Alts.

I'm gonna have so many mind games to play with the alts that literally swap their colors.

• Chuckle 1

So they’re not dropping for like another 9 hours correct? Cause nintendo UK says they’re dropping tomorrow for them 

It's nice to see Ghosts 'n Goblins get represented at all, but man...I would've loved to see Sir Arthur playable.

Regardless, I'm pretty hyped for the Aegis girls! I'm probably gonna main Pyra due to her range and power!

The Aegis girls look really fun. I don't play Smash much at all anymore (I picked it up again last night and had no idea what I was doing lol) and I'm just more interested in the content that comes along with it at this point. This was special for me because I love this series and I was just so happy XC2 got its shine. I think they'll encourage me to actually mess around with the game again even if I don't have online, it's just something fun to see. I did laugh and roll my eyes at the mention of Pneuma because spoilers but it doesn't quite give as much away as a certain other Xenoblade 1 spoiler that keeps popping up, but I'm surprised they made new artwork of her because finished art doesn't exist (it wasn't in datamined materials and the art book only has sketches and a cropped version of her battle icon).

Music selection also took me by surprise a bit. 16 with a few new arrangements, is more than I expected (I figured 10) but I'm happy with the choices. It's a nice mixture of field themes, battle/boss themes and even a couple scenes ("Crossing Swords" is hype). Fun fact, the track order they showed is actually the order of those tracks from the official soundtrack, which follows the narrative order with certain themes placed where they were most important if they were repeated. For example, "Counterattack" is on disc 3 following the events of Uraya when Mythra was awakened in Uraya despite playing since the first chapter of the game and is heard at other pivotal moments of the story.

Also I thought this was fun

Something I kinda figured with that "dark" alt is that it had to be something specific. I've seen speculation that it was based on Poppi but the colors didn't line up (the hair, in particular) and while I think it could work as a simple "what-if they were evil" kinda thing, but I think it fits together better they'd call back to Fei's Weltall from Xenogears. The one other than it possibly being the Xenogears itself is pretty cool too. I know Sakurai didn't mention it explicitly, but this series isn't above referencing and calling back to its past where it can (if not just because they want to make a copyright safe version that's distinct enough from what Square and Bamco currently have under their control), and XC2 definitely borrows elements of story and imagery from Xenogears and Xenosaga. And outright, again not explicitly called those things, but Poppi and Zeke have alt colors for Emeralda and Bart as Challenge Mode rewards so it's not too out there they snuck that in. Who knows, maybe they even asked when discussions for Sephiroth came up!

I am just thrilled and happy they're here.

• Thumbs Up 2

So they’ll probably be dropping in about 2 hours. I’m honestly very much excited to try these two out. I typically play with speedy characters that can act as decent zoners, like Wii Fit and Joker, or speedy characters that can put pressure on opponents like Sonic, so I likely will stick with Mythra for the majority of my time with them, as they can act as both those things from the look of it with ease. I’ll probably use Pyra for finishing off the opponent mostly, tho I definitely will want to experiment and see what’s comfortable for me.

Ive only played Xenoblade Chronicles 1, but the music for 2 that they’ve added sounds amazing, so can’t wait to check that all out.  Gonna probably go straight to the settings to toggle the music and see what else was added. 

Stage wise...it’s better than Guar Plains as far as Xenoblade chronicles representation goes imo, but...eh it still isn’t anything to write home about if you ask me. I’m not a fan of how small it looks, but I do appreciate how  the ledge moves lol. That’ll make things fun during free for all’s lol. And the backgrounds for it look beautiful, so it certainly is eye pleasing to look at. 

I’ll probably as for Mii’s, just buy the Ratholos Armor this time around. It’s the only one that really interested me here. Kinda surprised how long it’s been since we got a “deluxe” costume. Hopefully we get another one of those before the pass is done 

I would have expected something much more grand from a world as rich as Xenoblade 2's. I wonder if the pandemic made them go for something simpler. 

11 minutes ago, Wraith said:

I would have expected something much more grand from a world as rich as Xenoblade 2's. I wonder if the pandemic made them go for something simpler. 

I could see this, but then you got stages like Minecraft that were pretty detailed and intricate in designing and even Northern Cave as a transition stage was pretty ambitious with showing FF7’s ending, and it seems like those may have also been worked on during the pandemic . So I feel like they could have if they wanted done something a bit grander, (I don’t play XC2, but maybe one of the main hub villages or something?), but just decided to go with this. But then again, maybe this was at the point where they started spreading their resources a bit thin and they had to start cutting back 

Azurda probably wouldn't have been my choice for XC2's stage, personally. I like Azurda and seeing the other titans go by, but it is just a bit on the boring side. I'd likely go for something with more story significance like Olethro Ruins or Cliffs of Morytha or would at least be a lot prettier like the inside of Uraya or somewhere on Leftheria. It's an understandable choice if they needed to scale back the development somewhere especially when they had to work on two characters, effectively.

I also wasn't a huge fan of Gaur Plains in Smash; I think it's the most sensible choice to represent Xenoblade because it's the first major area that truly gives you a sense of the scale of the world but the actual design of the arena being a bottomless pit with springs to get around kind of diminished its importance to me.

Of course I'm just being a picky Xenoblade fan for no particular reason lol

IN regards to the stage, I get the feeling like they seem to be going for tournament legal material. Opting to make it not so out there with the gimmicks.

4 minutes ago, Jovahexeon Jax Joranvexeon said:

IN regards to the stage, I get the feeling like they seem to be going for tournament legal material. Opting to make it not so out there with the gimmicks.

Tournament players don't use the stages that are too small either so if this was the plan I'm not sure if it'll work out. 

The iconic duo have received a video made by Monolith Soft, commemorating their invitations to Smash.

Still learning how to play as them but MAN are they fun so far! Switching between the two adds a lot to the game, and I'm a big fan of how fast Mythra is!

Surprisingly, Pyra (and maybe Mythra) has jiggle physics. It's almost completely unnoticeable but I figured something like that might raise the rating.

I'm also really happy with the music selection, we've got almost every battle and boss theme now. I think we're missing the Mega Rosa theme (which is good, I don't like that song), the final boss theme and maybe the battle with Jin theme? I don't remember. I wasn't expecting the Torna DLC battle music, but I'm very happy it's in!

Also, Pyra and Mythra both get newly drawn art for their fighter Spirits!

On the subject of the stage, I think it's a cute idea. I never really thought about what stage I wanted from Xenoblade 2 so I don't mind it. Azurda talks during battles, and one of the things he says is "My back, a Smash stage... What will they think of next?" which I think is really funny, hehe.

tl;dr almost everything about this pack rules, I'm super excited to see the last two characters!!

Them adding Sophia to Smash as a spirit, makes me sad a bit cause just the other day I was saying it sucks we didn’t get any P5S music in Ultimate. Rub the salt in the wound why don’t ya nintendo lol?

9 hours ago, Jovahexeon Jax Joranvexeon said:

The iconic duo have received a video made by Monolith Soft, commemorating their invitations to Smash.

Kinda want Skye Bennett to dub over this video.

I want Adol Christin from the Ys series to join Smash one day.

The Ys series turns 35 next year but it's still very niche, it would be cool if it got a Smash boost in popularity like with Fire Emblem.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm actually playing through Ys 4 right now (I started 8 before I got 4 and decided to go back), and I think he'd be a cool addition. Though if I had to pick a Falcom character, I'd personally go with Rean Schwarzer from Trails of Cold Steel, even though I feel like Estelle would be the more likely pick, hehe.

55 minutes ago, Radiant Hero Ike said:

I'm actually playing through Ys 4 right now (I started 8 before I got 4 and decided to go back), and I think he'd be a cool addition. Though if I had to pick a Falcom character, I'd personally go with Rean Schwarzer from Trails of Cold Steel, even though I feel like Estelle would be the more likely pick, hehe.

If Falcom had to pick a character, it would either be Adol or the new protag of Kuro no Kiseki. As popular as Rean and Estelle are, their time is kinda over. They would be great as mii costumes tho. Hell, I would be ecstatic if Adol got a mii costume.

• Thumbs Up 1

https://www.thegamer.com/smash-ultimate-fighters-pass-3/

I remember this, the 16 DLC slots for datamine in World of Light, from 2019, which suggested the number of new fighters, now basically the character select screen also remains with 3 more, since as suggested recently Pyra and Mythra occupy their own slots in files. I was assuming there would be a new Pokemon trainer, but that would still be 1 + 3 for Pass 2, but there are still 5 slots, 2 for Pass 2 and 3 more. So I'm ruling my theory out for now.

I can see a Pass 3 happening for real, whether people like it or not, because these DLC are selling well and Nintendo will likely want to keep them coming, at least a bit more.

I'm annoyed at more excusive spirit crap. Annoying that I can't have all of them without now purchasing other games or waiting til who knows when. It was annoying with Links awakening and still now.